daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2018, 09:57 PM   #2921
Ryer

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarody View Post
This is taken from the promotional material for Harbor Gate I believe. Every time the tower appears fat like that its in other projects renders... though they are all Emaar.
Ryer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2018, 12:45 PM   #2922
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
If the ob deck is anywhere above 600m, people will need to take 2 seperate elevators, because the cables are way too heavy to operate an elevator from the bottom to the top in one shot. Except if they use other technology for it.
Thought a previous poster semi-confirmed that they were using Kone Ultrarope for this tower, or that the main shaft would be up to about 800m in one go, then you'd have to transfer? Unless I confused it with Jeddah Tower but either way I think the obs decks are far above 600m here.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 01:07 PM   #2923
goodybear

Likes (Received): 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
So I was watching one of my old videos, having been to the Renaissance Center downtown in Detroit many times for events. The elevators there are fast, doing the climb from 3F to 70F in about 40 seconds (gauging a climb of 650' or 200m), rated at 1,000fpm or 5m/sec. But even at that relatively fast speed, it'd take almost 3 minutes to climb to some of the observation levels of The Tower!

Which then begs the question. 10m/sec aka Taipei 101 speeds get us to a minute and a half time (reasonable). Speeds like that shown in Lotte Tower or Shanghai Tower are far faster though. Do you think Gab, that we'll be seeing record elevators for The Tower, just because of the amount of height to be climbed? Even if they're not 20m/sec units, I'd imagine most people are used to a minute, tops, in most high speed and high rise elevators.

Personally, eh, as long as it gets to the floor safely I could care less ;p. I think the CN Tower's deck is about a minute, and I know the one for Willis Tower and 1WTC are both something like 50 seconds or a minute.

But one day when this tower is built, we shall see someone's video on YouTube to show us!
So, currently the world's fastest elevators, as you said are in the Shanghai Tower. Two travel at 18 m/s (like the one shown in the video) and one at 20 m/s. You can see in the video the elevator takes around 18 seconds to accelerate to full speed, and then takes around 18 seconds to decelerate, which leaves around 10 seconds travelling at full speed. If the same elevator speed is used in the Dubai Creek Tower, it would take around 1 minute and 9 seconds to reach the top (since it would travel 400 meters during acceleration and deceleration over a period of around 36 seconds as well as 600 meters at full speed during 33 seconds). This is assuming the observation deck is at 1000 meters height, so with this elevator speed it would take under 2 minutes, barely longer than most high rise elevators. We possibly could also expect double deck elevators since they would be way more efficient in a tower with fewer elevator shafts and of this height.

However, it also has to be mentioned that elevators have to travel slower downward due to pressure differences (Shanghai Tower elevators travel at 10 m/s downwards) which could cause ear drum ruptures, so the downwards trip might take 2-2.5 minutes. Still, it really shouldn't be too long of a trip, especially with elevators having cool animations in them (as shown in the video of Lotte World Tower elevator.)

~3-5m, 1fl

Nahemah, The-Real-Link, NK2, Niek99 liked this post

Last edited by goodybear; January 9th, 2018 at 01:12 PM.
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:03 PM   #2924
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Agreed, Goody. Lots of the new projector / LED type shows and presentations in elevators are totally amazing. Or, some could just be content with a 1 min or however long vertical climb, but sadly that's not showy enough. But seeing as how BK already has a great elevator show, along with as you linked, Lotte Tower and Shanghai Tower, I'd definitely bet Emaar is planning an elevator show that's impressive for The Tower!

goodybear liked this post
Old January 9th, 2018, 04:10 PM   #2925
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1267

I personally have no clue what the problem would be even if the ride would take 3 minutes. That wouldnīt be THAT long at all.
Old January 9th, 2018, 06:58 PM   #2926
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Quote:
I personally have no clue what the problem would be even if the ride would take 3 minutes. That wouldnīt be THAT long at all.
More time to enjoy the view and not rush!
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:18 PM   #2927
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1267

What would be nice would be to isntall OLED screens inside the elevator and show the history of Dubai, from being Al Wasl with the pearl industry and such, itīs former location as a hub in the mid east to oil and what it is now.
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:41 PM   #2928
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Quote:
What would be nice would be to isntall OLED screens inside the elevator and show the history of Dubai, from being Al Wasl with the pearl industry and such, itīs former location as a hub in the mid east to oil and what it is now.
Kind of like a hyper condensed version of what's done for the 1WTC observatory I suppose huh? That'd be really cool. Though granted even though Dubai and that region of the ME goes back thousands of years, you could probably do either of the following. A. take more time to create an enriching video presentation for history since there are fewer years to show heavy urban development, or B. start a couple hundred years back and show Dubai being built, but with more care taken for major milestones or the Sheiks involved, perhaps.

Either way you'd probably get to have a cool video like 1WTC or Lotte tower, but not forced to be entirely condensed to 45 or 50 seconds. Even a minute 30 may allow for a visual breather so to speak.

Whatever Emaar does, I'd have to think with the world watching, they won't disappoint. Just being optimistic about it.

goodybear liked this post
Old January 10th, 2018, 08:09 PM   #2929
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3504

The Dubai Frame is the oppossite of a good Location to see the site of the Creek Tower. Despite it`s Observation deck is 150m above the ground

I still have 2 different places i will try.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 06:15 AM   #2930
husiemam

Likes (Received): 342

Just passed by... Some concrete poring going on with 4 big RED hands only on the north side (CHmall) only. Hope they dont start that speed yet on the core.

SiriusCane liked this post
husiemam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 11:59 AM   #2931
salmankhan

Likes (Received): 52

Dubai to build new record-breaking skyscraper - BBC News

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X_jjjjppd1E" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
salmankhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:10 PM   #2932
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 30042

The term "skyscraper city" makes me so excited for what will rise around this tower

Quote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-...ing-skyscraper

Dubai is already home to the world's tallest tower - the Burj Khalifa - yet now it's building one which is even taller. Around it, the developers are planning a skyscraper city big enough to house 400,000 people.

NK2, fayzoon, Orion602, BinSuroor, Fabouninou and 1 others liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 06:21 PM   #2933
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2202

Am not sure the 30 meters height is already reached but if it did then, this is how it looks like compared to the final height

Old January 11th, 2018, 08:28 PM   #2934
Largechris

Likes (Received): 16

With the talk about the weight of elevator cables, just to point out that ThyssenKrupp did announce this a couple of months ago, electromagnetic elevator without cables

https://multi.thyssenkrupp-elevator.com/en/

A possibility, just to make the ride even more exciting....
Old January 14th, 2018, 09:33 AM   #2935
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3504

It did not reach the height of 30m yet. I guess it is just 5-10m above ground. 2 days ago i was at night at the Burj Khalifah. The Tower didn`t rise since my last update.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 06:57 PM   #2936
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
It did not reach the height of 30m yet. I guess it is just 5-10m above ground. 2 days ago i was at night at the Burj Khalifah. The Tower didn`t rise since my last update.
With a tower of this size, at the beginning, I didn't expect that it will rise so fast for some possible architectural reasons if am right

Am sure Emaar don't care about the completion year, all what they want is the surprise that they want to make

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek