daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2016, 11:58 AM   #721
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
a webcam like we have for KT would be awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai111 View Post
I asked Emaar salesman In Dubai mall if the tower will be over 1000m and he told me lets be realistic, Dubai would always aim for the highest and it'll for sure be the highest in the world once it opens. Plus he told me that the foundations will be 100m deep and it'll be ready just before expo.
You can bet on that ZZ-II! Plus what is exceptionally exciting about this tower is we already have 8 highrises around it under construction which will make it even more crazy awesome to see the whole district coming to life at once.

Ch.W, ZZ-II, DUBAI10000 liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2016, 12:42 PM   #722
INFERNAL ELF

Location: Trondheim Trying to reach Someplace with Skyscrapers
Likes (Received): 159

100m deep foundation thats alot Burj khalifah has 50m foundations. But it might also be less favorable ground conditions here tho. But if it is the same and considering the tower will also have wires too for support, the height might be quite spectacular indeed.

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Gabriel900, hakz2007 liked this post
INFERNAL ELF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #723
Whisky Peak
Visionary

Likes (Received): 1275

The Jeddah Tower pile foundation is 105m deep. If you considers that the Jeddah Tower
is probably much heavyer (860000 tons) as the very slim tower at the creek, you can imagine that it will be very tall. I still doubt the supporting effect of the cables is that much, because the angle is very sharp. It looks like the real benefit is rather the optics as the absorption of forces. But it is only a guess..
Whisky Peak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #724
CopyLeft
Architect

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Peak View Post
I still doubt the supporting effect of the cables is that much, because the angle is very sharp. It looks like the real benefit is rather the optics as the absorption of forces. But it is only a guess..
It's the sharpest at the very top. Definitely most of the guy wires will have a supporting load.

Whisky Peak liked this post
CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #725
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2044

I remember Emaar said that it won't be later than July or something like that

I'm wondering why there are no real news about construction start

2020 expo is exactly 4 years & 2 months from now and the tower is expected to reach more than 1200 m high ! This means that it has to rise as fast as 1 meter/day without taking the foundation into account !! With Emaar and with this design everything is possible

I really hope the big news will be in the coming couple of days, otherwise it might be shorter than these expectations and that's what I'm afraid of

Ch.W, oud-Rotterdammer, jackedi07 liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 06:57 PM   #726
Yolo 1844
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

I like the tower it need to be hight er than jedah tower so it represent somtingh iconic a icon that the whole world 🌎 can relate to and exclamation poin of the globe...
Yolo 1844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 12:02 AM   #727
CopyLeft
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolo 1844 View Post
a icon that the whole world 🌎 can relate to and exclamation poin of the globe...
Unfortunately, a guyed mast is a very outdated idea. I was very surprised to see a non-freestanding structure of such scale in 2016 (1km is not a newly projected height).
Old July 27th, 2016, 05:33 PM   #728
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Dubai's The Tower undergoes strength test: Wind tunnel, seismic evaluation

Published Today

Emaar Properties today announced the successful completion of advanced wind tunnel tests to confirm the structural strength and durability of the iconic new tower in Dubai Creek Harbour, which will define a brand-new skyline for the city.

A comprehensive array of never-before wind tunnel tests for The Tower at Dubai Creek Harbour was commissioned, which will feature world-class observation decks, luxury accommodation and retail attractions. With wind being a major challenge in the development of high-rises, especially at very high altitudes, these tests are crucial in defining the final height and design aspects.

For the wind tunnel testing of The Tower at Dubai Creek Harbour, up to 12 different analysis and testing methods were used to ensure that all possible cases are considered, guaranteeing the maximum quality and safety of the structure.

These tests are made for the entirety of the project with a full scaled model, and also on different sections of the project to double-check the behaviour of the building and the wind around it.

Since the structure is anchored to the ground with robust cables, some of these tests are innovative and were developed for the first time in this field. Two independent and leading agencies in the world undertake the wind tunnel testing.

Additionally, the rigorous wind climate study of the area covered measurements at different heights including data provided by the weather stations.

Different seismic studies were also considered and applied specifically to local ground conditions. To guarantee the maximum safety and stability of the building, the design of The Tower also includes multiple damper systems and shock absorption systems, located at different points and heights.

Mohamed Alabbar, Chairman of Emaar Properties, said: "An ambitious project on a never-before scale and design, The Tower at Dubai Creek Harbour demands high-precision engineering across all its facets. As a significant value addition to Dubai Creek Harbour, the tower is billed to attract visitors from across the world, and will serve as a beacon of hope and positivity for the city and the region. Pushing the boundaries in high-rise engineering even further, The Tower’s wind tunnel tests are an industry-first of sorts, underlining our commitment to uphold the highest standards of safety.”

Santiago Calatrava Valls said: “From the materials selection to the technology used, every aspect of The Tower has been designed and developed according to the strictest international safety standards. The wind tunnel tests were an important component in the structural design stage, and we have deployed innovative engineering techniques to confirm the strength of the new icon.”

The successful completion of the wind tunnel tests as well as a comprehensive range of seismic and local climate studies lends further momentum to The Tower’s development to the highest standards of quality and safety.

This marks another milestone in the development of The Tower at Dubai Creek Harbour, designed by Spanish-Swiss architect Santiago Calatrava, and located in the heart of the 6sqkm master-planned community set by Dubai Creek and only 10 minutes from the Dubai International Airport.

http://www.emirates247.com/business/...07-27-1.637031
Old July 27th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #729
Gabriel900
Super Mod

If I may double post and comment ... this is actually super exciting because not only Emaar is 100% committed to this ... they don't even know the final height yet, in a way they will go as high as they can with such a design! I am so excited to see this rise to a new iconic height! Such a unique and iconic tower this would end up to be
Old July 27th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #730
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2261

This tower could be sooooooo high that on a good clear sunny day you might even see the shorter Kingdom Tower from a far.

DUBAI10000, DubaiM liked this post
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #731
CopyLeft
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
This tower could be sooooooo high that on a good clear sunny day you might even see the shorter Kingdom Tower from a far.
The other one will not be visible above horizon, even if both towers would be over 2 km tall. It's because the planet's surface curvature, not because of the air dust.
Old July 27th, 2016, 11:26 PM   #732
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
If I may double post and comment ... this is actually super exciting because not only Emaar is 100% committed to this ... they don't even know the final height yet, in a way they will go as high as they can with such a design! I am so excited to see this rise to a new iconic height! Such a unique and iconic tower this would end up to be
The final height (and wing shapes too) of Burj Khalifa was also decided based on the wind tunnel test results
I can cheat you blind.

Gabriel900, BinSuroor liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #733
CopyLeft
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The final height (and wing shapes too) of Burj Khalifa was also decided based on the wind tunnel test results
The test they've done has shown no miracles. It only confirmed the design is quite OK.
Old July 27th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #734
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

^ This is the most exciting project I have ever watched grow in UAE history, I am so excited, I really want to see piling crews at the site.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 12:16 AM   #735
Gabriel900
Super Mod

They might be but we just can't see what's going on there
Old July 28th, 2016, 01:05 AM   #736
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2261

This foundation should be like no other. Not only will it be over 100 meters deep, but I feel it will be as wide as the cables on the ground. If I'm right and this foundation is a couple of hundred meters wide it should have a lot of rebar strengthening one huge foundation so the cables give maximum strength/effect/support to the structure. I can't see this structures cables all having smaller individual/seperate cable foundations.

What's your estimate Gabriel, how far on the ground is one side of the cables to the other?

The foundation will most likely also have complex underground floors/access to the tower.

Gabriel900 liked this post
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #737
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
This foundation should be like no other. Not only will it be over 100 meters deep, but I feel it will be as wide as the cables on the ground. If I'm right and this foundation is a couple of hundred meters wide it should have a lot of rebar strengthening one huge foundation so the cables give maximum strength/effect/support to the structure. I can't see this structures cables all having smaller individual/seperate cable foundations.

What's your estimate Gabriel, how far on the ground is one side of the cables to the other?

The foundation will most likely also have complex underground floors/access to the tower.
I think you are on to something here and it makes total sense! concerning distances, we know couple of facts, like the diameter of the stem will be only 30m while the diameter of the plaza will be 500m! taking these into consideration the closest distance these cables would be from one side to the other is around 165m, but some will have an even wider distance between them but it is a bit harder to measure. (I'm sure others whom are more qualified can get much more accurate data).

I hope that helps!

Last edited by Gabriel900; July 28th, 2016 at 01:48 AM.
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 02:14 AM   #738
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1504

Might this be the first mile-high? One can only wonder. I have a gut feeling on this.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 04:54 AM   #739
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2409

Will this count as a 'freestanding structure'? With those cables I guess not.

It will be in the same category as the KVLY-TV mast.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 07:44 AM   #740
Yolo 1844
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyLeft View Post
Unfortunately, a guyed mast is a very outdated idea. I was very surprised to see a non-freestanding structure of such scale in 2016 (1km is not a newly projected height).
The idea of hainging gardens is very good concept but the hight needs to increace to une mile or more to be truly iconic to the exclamation poin of or world but its posible and to be completly stable due its a wired mas tower.
Yolo 1844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek