daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #921
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2044

It will be the tallest structure. The tallest building still goes to JT

iKHALEDM, AP Design liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #922
HUMAN EGO

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
Potato, patato
HUMAN EGO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 01:22 AM   #923
CityofVillains
Canadian Muslim

Likes (Received): 170

This looks more like a communications tower, similar to the CN Tower. Not an actual "tower" but definitely a "structure"
CityofVillains no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 01:44 AM   #924
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29204

do communication towers have hotels? Nope ... This tower is a hybrid and can't be fit in one category

Emarati2009, BinSuroor, jackedi07, DubaiM liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 05:24 AM   #925
Fotografer

Likes (Received): 167

One of the previous proposals of this tower was high at over a mile, but selected another design, maybe the high retained.
Fotografer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 05:42 AM   #926
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
They both fit the "buildings" category, to be honest. So let me adjust a bit: you actually meant the tallest in "free-standing structures" - there is such a category in use. And that's a big difference that you pointed out, actually. With the new composite cables the construction cost can be so low, and the guyed mast's height can be so immense, that the new "supported" towers can quickly outshine JT with their heights and JT may get lost among them by 2050.

Now a ton of an advise to Emaar: you guys do your research, and pay a very close attention to the new kind of those composite cables that I have mentioned here. Not only they're stronger than steel, they're almost 5 times lighter and... now listen very carefully: they have some very interesting optical properties to be made use of. :wink:
Because I'm sure the developer will want all kinds of the coolest illumination and dynamic displays here.

Meehoowk666, Gabriel900 liked this post
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #927
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
They both fit the "buildings" category, to be honest. So let me adjust a bit: you actually meant the tallest in "free-standing structures" - there is such a category in use. And that's a big difference that you pointed out, actually.
Nope, this one doesn't fit in the buildings category simply because of the floor count

It has to be with continuously occupiable floors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings

Last edited by fayzoon; October 11th, 2016 at 08:21 AM.
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #928
Emarati2009

Likes (Received): 3478

Quote:
Nope, this one doesn't fit in the buildings category simply because of the floor count

There will be a floors for the hotel
Old October 11th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #929
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2261

This tower will hold records in many categories such as highest freestanding structure, hotel, observation deck, occupied floor, concrete pour etc, etc.

Since Emaar is practically finished with the building of Marina, and Downtown it will be interesting to see Emaar launching many new surrounding projects around this tower turning it into a vibrant community.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #930
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:

You do know the definition of a building is a structure with a roof and walls so this is 100% one. Plus Wikipedia is the last thing I will use as my reference

Anyways this tower will have 20F+ (Maybe even 30 or 40F+, we still are clueless about floor numbers) so you guys can stop trying to fit it in categories, cz this tower won't only smash all records but will smash all typical categories all together at once.

Emarati2009 liked this post
Old October 11th, 2016, 10:55 AM   #931
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
You do know the definition of a building is a structure with a roof and walls so this is 100% one. Plus Wikipedia is the last thing I will use as my reference

Anyways this tower will have 20F+ (Maybe even 30 or 40F+, we still are clueless about floor numbers) so you guys can stop trying to fit it in categories, cz this tower won't only smash all records but will smash all typical categories all together at once.
Oops, sorry my friend. But, floors should start from basement to be counted as a building cz even liberation tower in Kuwait has some floors in the observation deck but still, not counted as a building

But, this tower will be the HIGHEST NON-FREE STANDING STRUCTURE IN THE WORLD. This alone is so exciting
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #932
Gabriel900
Super Mod

does it have a hotel? We are talking about more than a 20 floors building over here. Anyways this conversation is lame, i would like to quote one of the architects here to end it once and for all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
They both fit the "buildings" category, to be honest. So let me adjust a bit: you actually meant the tallest in "free-standing structures" - there is such a category in use. And that's a big difference that you pointed out, actually.
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #933
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Oops, sorry my friend. But, floors should start from basement to be counted as a building cz even liberation tower in Kuwait has some floors in the observation deck but still, not counted as a building

But, this tower will be the HIGHEST NON-FREE STANDING STRUCTURE IN THE WORLD. This alone is so exciting
As things stand Dubai has the highest building as of new, and soon to come the highest tower.

As I've said before, and I'll say it again until KT beats BK Dubai still holds the record. I still have my doubts regarding KT's build because of the countries economic head winds. You guys are not out of the woods yet, you started the oil war, and were the first to say Uncle because your policy was harming your economy the most. Once you finish, and complete KT then we can talk about who holds what record, until then Dubai is still the undefeated champ.
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:25 AM   #934
DetlefHubert
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

DetlefHubert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #935
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
As things stand Dubai has the highest building as of new, and soon to come the highest tower.

As I've said before, and I'll say it again until KT beats BK Dubai still holds the record. I still have my doubts regarding KT's build because of the countries economic head winds. You guys are not out of the woods yet, you started the oil war, and were the first to say Uncle because your policy was harming your economy the most. Once you finish, and complete KT then we can talk about who holds what record, until then Dubai is still the undefeated champ.
I'm wondering why it's all in our region. The US and Canada region is not participating in the championship at all
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #936
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
I'm wondering why it's all in our region. The US and Canada region is not participating in the championship at all
I'm actually glad you mentioned that. As far as Canada goes, or to be specific Toronto is no longer interested in building the highest any thing any more. We held the record for highest free standing structure for thirty years. We are more focused on bustling lively lifestyles on the streets beneath the skyscrapers which is more important.

There was an article regarding this last week if your interested,

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight...atosphere.html

But skylines can tell tall tales, Greenberg says. He says impressive skylines in many cities belie bleak realities down on the pavement.

“Dubai is a place that has one giant building after another … but no one could accuse it of being an exciting or wonderful place to be,” he says. “It’s a bunch of highways down below.”

The expansive downtown skylines of Atlanta, Calgary and Los Angeles cast shadows over fairly listless streetscapes, Kingwell adds. Ideally, “the tower grows out of the energy from the ground beneath it,” he says.

So will Toronto’s bulked-up skyline bear true or false witness to its street-level realities?

“The jury is out,” Greenberg says.

Toronto’s vibrant downtown holds some advantages over many vertically ambitious cities, he notes. For one, this city’s centre held in the last half of the 20th century, never experiencing the “white flight” of many U.S. metropolises, sending more affluent residents to the suburbs while denuding and impoverishing their cores.

As for Manhattan I think no explanation is necessary. It's just a great place to live, and work.
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #937
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burj Khalifa fan View Post
His Highness Twitter:

وضعنا بحمدالله اليوم حجر الأساس لأعلى بناء في العالم .. برج خور دبي سيكون أعلى نقطة معمارية على وجه الأرض بحلول ٢٠٢٠

Thank to god we have put today the foundations for the HIGHEST tower in the world. Dubai creek tower will be the highest structure in 2020
Im really happy for this!! Congrats everybody!!

perhaps it doesn't say that it's the tallest "Tower" in Arabic, it actually refers to it as the tallest "structure" and on the other line it says "architectural point".
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #938
Gabriel900
Super Mod

yeah that is true cz they want it to be the tallest of them all not only towers
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #939
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Old October 11th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #940
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Media is just DUMB! I am reading articles written today about the news of this tower being tallest, most of them are claiming the stupidest claims, like "His highness confirms this tower will be highest when completed in 2020, and according to CNN it will be 100m taller than BK". This is beyond insane! Do they even think before they write!! they are still holding on to a baseless claim by CNN, even after his highness and Emaar both rectify it!!! STUPID

Emarati2009 liked this post

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek