daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2016, 02:08 PM   #941
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Wow this is so exciting!
I think we are going to have the debate about the true definition of this tower many many times more.
However here's what I think: It really doesn't matter if it's a free-standing structure, a building, a guyed tower or a hybrid. It is nevertheless the tallest man-made structure and will surpass KT in terms of height. I simply assume that those who always try to make it appear less special can't deal with the fact that their beloved KT is technically not going to be the tallest. And who cares anyway; 99,5% of the people won't see a difference between freestanding/guyed/hybrid/etc.

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #942
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29153

I really think Jeddah Tower is beautiful and ambitious but it is still a taller version of Burj Khalifa, nothing really new. While THE TOWER, is very unique and controversial in many aspects, making it a much more interesting and exciting.

DubaiM, Burj Khalifa fan, BinSuroor liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #943
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
Wow this is so exciting!
I think we are going to have the debate about the true definition of this tower many many times more.
However here's what I think: It really doesn't matter if it's a free-standing structure, a building, a guyed tower or a hybrid. It is nevertheless the tallest man-made structure and will surpass KT in terms of height. I simply assume that those who always try to make it appear less special can't deal with the fact that their beloved KT is technically not going to be the tallest. And who cares anyway; 99,5% of the people won't see a difference between freestanding/guyed/hybrid/etc.
Yupe it will be the tallest and that's what matters. I totally agree
Old October 11th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #944
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

Ever since the news about the wind tunnel tests to see how tall it can go, I think it's going to be a lot taller than 1km.

They're not going to build to be overtaken again by the next oil prince anyway. They're going to build to be out of reach for years.

DubaiM, Gabriel900 liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 02:26 PM   #945
Gabriel900
Super Mod

I deleted some of the posts above discussing economy of countries ... sorry for that, this thread is not about that but the construction of this tower.
Old October 11th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #946
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15900

Some press refer to this as a building but technically it's a tower no? (if 50+% of the height is non-utilitarian it is a tower)

Gabriel900, King of Construction liked this post
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #947
Gabriel900
Super Mod

does this apply to both free-standing and non free-standing structures? cz this structure is a hybrid of many things, its a partially guyed tower with habitable floors

One other thing, we still don't have the exact number of floors to this tower. who knows we might be surprised.
Old October 11th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #948
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
yeah that is true cz they want it to be the tallest of them all not only towers
that's thrilling , lets have a dance

anyway, Im still so happy for this "thing" (the tallest of them all not only towers ) to be built in Dubai, not any where else, as Dubai still feels like home for us

Gabriel900 liked this post
Rody69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #949
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

Quote:
does this apply to both free-standing and non free-standing structures? cz this structure is a hybrid of many things, its a partially guyed tower with habitable floors

One other thing, we still don't have the exact number of floors to this tower. who knows we might be surprised.
I hope this starts a whole new category, for it to be established by Dubai

Gabriel900 liked this post
Rody69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #950
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Also important to note that Emaar is already building residential towers in Dubai Creek Harbour which are going to sell for loads.

Next annoucement will be another megamall, mark my words.

Gabriel900, BinSuroor liked this post
Old October 11th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #951
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15900

Quote:
does this apply to both free-standing and non free-standing structures? cz this structure is a hybrid of many things, its a partially guyed tower with habitable floors One other thing, we still don't have the exact number of floors to this tower. who knows we might be surprised.
A non-freestanding or guy-wired building would be a first I think. Judging by the looks I'd guess this one qualifies as a tower.
Old October 11th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #952
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
...this tower won't only smash all records but will smash all typical categories all together at once.
Let me try to come up with a new one: "tallest staircase span without exits". Sounds scary (if you imagine an emergency situation with electricity cut off)? Claustrophobic people would lose their minds there.

Here's a solution: mechanically operated pneumatic escape pods. No pressure accumulators are required, just a cylindrical shaft with guides and a few cylindrical landing tanks that will utilize the atmosphere's normal air pressure for their descent.

I think it's still not too late to incorporate such shaft into the tower's design. Better yet - to have 2 such shafts: one for descent, another one - for raising the tanks up (default feature, which can be reversed, if required). Maybe it would make sense to make them pneumatically connected, to ensure the system is self-sustainable.

Last edited by AP Design; October 11th, 2016 at 04:04 PM.
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #953
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2261

Quote:

Gabriel I'm sure the core will have at least one stair case for sure next to the elevator shafts because of security reasons so technically it will have habitable floors from top to bottom.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #954
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
Here's a solution: mechanically operated pneumatic escape pods. No pressure accumulators are required, just a cylindrical shaft with guides and a few cylindrical landing tanks that will utilize the atmosphere's normal air pressure for their descent.
You should try and apply to work with Emaar or whoever the contractor on this tower is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
Gabriel I'm sure the core will have at least one stair case for sure next to the elevator shafts because of security reasons so technically it will have habitable floors from top to bottom.
Great now I can rest in peace.

It is ridiculous I feel I'm more excited about this tower than Emaar themselves!

AP Design, brainsound liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 04:06 PM   #955
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2156

The final height of the Burj was a secret during construction so we won't know nuthin until 2020.

Emarati2009 liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #956
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
You should try and apply to work with Emaar or whoever the contractor on this tower is!
Given an immense level of bureaucracy they have, it makes a better sense for me not to approach, and let them try to seduce me with an offer. I wouldn't mind to design the interiors of this tower, if they don't mind to make it an Art Deco heaven.
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #957
BinSuroor

Likes (Received): 845

Can't wait to see this masterpiece rising

Gabriel900, Emarati2009 liked this post
BinSuroor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #958
pdgzuid

Likes (Received): 89

Who will build this?
pdgzuid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 05:45 PM   #959
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Forgot to comment this:
Quote:
Media is just DUMB! I am reading articles written today about the news of this tower being tallest, most of them are claiming the stupidest claims, like "His highness confirms this tower will be highest when completed in 2020, and according to CNN it will be 100m taller than BK". This is beyond insane! Do they even think before they write!! they are still holding on to a baseless claim by CNN, even after his highness and Emaar both rectify it!!! STUPID
They write this because they believe that at 928m it will be the tallest in the world. Coverage in the West about Jeddah Tower is less than sparse, the vast majority of people don't even know there's something taller than Burj Khalifa in the works in Saudi Arabia.
Old October 11th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #960
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3189

Sheik Mohamad seems like a nice guy and good leader.
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek