daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #981
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29070

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
They should just call it the F.U. Saudi Arabia Tower. I don't think this was even a dream in the sheik's head until he saw the Saudi's building the Jeddah Tower, and suddenly he said, wait a minute...
I'm sorry to tell you that you are wrong, very wrong:

First thing first, Dubai is the reason Saudi Arabia in the first place decided to build Jeddah Tower. I mean isn't the latter a copy of Burj Khalifa with a taller spire?

Second, Dubai back in 2013 if not even before, to be specific Emaar when they did take over the Dubai creek harbour, they said to the media on many occasions that they are concidering building a tower that will surpass the 1 Km mark there, for them to back down the following year once Jeddah decided to build their inspired version of Burj Khalifa.

Before you write make sure you know the history of things because this will only make you sound butthurt and "simple".

Now that being clarified, I beg you guys to stop this war! This new tower isn't related to jeddah's nor is comparable to it in anyway. Stop the negativity.

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #982
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15871

My vote goes to "World Spire".

Gabriel900 liked this post
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #983
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Some very interesting screenshots from the video I posted on the previous page! can anyone decipher what's written in the post below? one very interesting part is the picture to the bottom center where it shows how majestic this tower and its cable would look for someone just standing in front of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJFzBnefGtY
Old October 12th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #984
Scion

Likes (Received): 4274

Comparison from SSP

Old October 12th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #985
Gabriel900
Super Mod

This reminds me of when they started working on Burj Khalifa!! Everyone thought it was gonna be ~700m high at first and it turned out to be 800m+ ... I think this tower will be 1200m+, As Droneriot said before this one's height will surprise us!

firoz bharmal, Patrick Highrise liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 02:49 PM   #986
London21

Likes (Received): 42

Regarding the name, Burj Dubai 'lost' its name after the economic downturn, what better way to mark the resurgence of Dubai by claiming the name back and assigning it to an even taller tower.

firoz bharmal, Meehoowk666 liked this post
London21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 03:37 PM   #987
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3402

1200m+ would beyond awesome. It`s great to be alive.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #988
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
This reminds me of when they started working on Burj Khalifa!! Everyone thought it was gonna be ~700m high at first and it turned out to be 800m+ ... I think this tower will be 1200m+, As Droneriot said before this one's height will surprise us!
Indeed, there's no doubt this tower will rise far over 1000m. Arround 1200m is quite likely i think.

Burj Khalifa looks almost small against this one
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #989
Gabriel900
Super Mod

what really unique about this tower is that it's habitable floors start when they stop in both Jeddah and khalifa towers (600m+)

If I was Emaar I would want my highest observation deck to be at 1000m which makes the architectural height of this tower somewhere between 1250 and 1300m (which is what emaar might be aiming for )

So my prediction is the final height of this tower to be ~1300m, with the highest observation deck on 1000m and habitable floors starting from ~ 600m

Exiting times are ahead

ZZ-II, Meehoowk666 liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #990
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1504

Calling it "world tower" would not be a good idea, since another building will inevitably come along sooner or later and supplant it.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #991
Emarati2009

Likes (Received): 3477

Influence, Gabriel900, Federation2014 liked this post
Emarati2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #992
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
Comparison from SSP

This is a great comparison! It clarifies how the occupied part of the tower is still about 200m of the overall height! This would be a whole skyscraper all by itself if it would be isolated from the rest of the tower
My guess is, that there will be at 30 floors with one of them being an atrium with a height of maybe 30m. (as shown in many videos)

Fluxit, Scion liked this post
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #993
Scion

Likes (Received): 4274

Quote:
Originally Posted by London21 View Post
Regarding the name, Burj Dubai 'lost' its name after the economic downturn, what better way to mark the resurgence of Dubai by claiming the name back and assigning it to an even taller tower.
I'm with you on this.

If this story is true: "the word Dubai may have come from the word daba (Arabic: دبا‎‎); a past tense derivative of yadub (Arabic: يدب‎‎); which means 'to creep', referring to the slow flow of the Dubai Creek inland."

Since this tower earmarks the most inland point of the Dubai Creek, calling it Burj Dubai would be very fitting.

Meehoowk666 liked this post
Scion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 08:10 PM   #994
goodybear

Likes (Received): 692

Could anyone please make a diagram comparing the Empire State Building and 1 WTC to this tower. I want to see how small they are going to look in comparison to this tower, considering that this tower might be more than 3x as tall as the ESB. Thanks!!
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #995
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2437

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodybear View Post
Could anyone please make a diagram comparing the Empire State Building and 1 WTC to this tower. I want to see how small they are going to look in comparison to this tower, considering that this tower might be more than 3x as tall as the ESB. Thanks!!
The ESB is shown in this one , still trying to figure out how to compare the three only (ESB, 1 WTC and the Tower)

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?compare=107747

goodybear liked this post
Dubai_Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #996
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
I'm sorry to tell you that you are wrong, very wrong:

First thing first, Dubai is the reason Saudi Arabia in the first place decided to build Jeddah Tower. I mean isn't the latter a copy of Burj Khalifa with a taller spire?

Second, Dubai back in 2013 if not even before, to be specific Emaar when they did take over the Dubai creek harbour, they said to the media on many occasions that they are concidering building a tower that will surpass the 1 Km mark there, for them to back down the following year once Jeddah decided to build their inspired version of Burj Khalifa.

Before you write make sure you know the history of things because this will only make you sound butthurt and "simple".

Now that being clarified, I beg you guys to stop this war! This new tower isn't related to jeddah's nor is comparable to it in anyway. Stop the negativity.
I was just joking. But in truth, I'm not a big fan of this tower because of its design and function, but who knows it may turn out well once finished. But this "hybrid" thing is just too frivolous for me, but I still look forward to the construction. It should be interesting.

And as I said before, the builders of this thing decided to forgo the building all together and built a spire all the way down to the ground.

Last edited by AnOldBlackMarble; October 13th, 2016 at 08:39 PM.
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #997
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
The ESB is shown in this one , still trying to figure out how to compare the three only (ESB, 1 WTC and the Tower)

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?compare=107747
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?...107747,23,7788

you can just put the building IDs in the address bar.

Dubai_Boy, goodybear, Meehoowk666 liked this post
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #998
Gabriel900
Super Mod

I am an idiot ... I don't know how to post a HD pic of this link here but I tried my best with a screen shot!

Old October 13th, 2016, 12:13 AM   #999
Fluxit
Fluxit Builders

Likes (Received): 822

Awesome illustration.
Fluxit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 12:25 AM   #1000
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

The comparison boards shown a few posts up appear to be illustrating the size of each tower's respective plaza or public space. In other words it seems to be an effort by Calatrava's studio to point out how not just having a grand focal-point tower is the only important aspect but to highlight the sense of public space from afar to admire the vista the tower creates. The floorplans seem to show how much surrounding ground the plaza / environment take up around each respective landmark of the world.

At the top of course, is The Tower, showcasing what seems to be the largest of nearly all public spaces by way of the base plate plaza design. Now I don't know if it's physiologically required in the sense that this tower is much taller and hence, needs a larger vantage point to view it from afar, or that Emaar is simply choosing to give The Tower the widest berth of space, but it's a neat idea.

A great example would be that it's not just the Eifel tower by itself that's amazing, but that picture postcard everyone sees with the greenery and rectangular avenue area next to the tower. I think Calatrava is trying to convey the same point in that the plaza / public space matters as much as the ground-breaking tower built in the center.

But yes, presuming you are even able to walk up to The Tower (who knows due to security and such), I wouldn't deny that it'd be jaw-dropping!

Gabriel900, Scion liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek