daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #1021
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

It's a concept design.
Ultimately, I wanted to check if it would be really impossible to make a tower of the same height and width as Jeddah Tower, having a decent amount of penthouses, while being at least as safe as BK, but easier to design, build, and maintain. And it proved to be architecturally possible, after I took the dimensions from JT, and instead of making it a simple winged pyramid with a random cut-outs placement and a splinter top - I decided to make it having some sensible idea, with a stylized spire.

This design uses a tier-evolution concept: the asterion section turns 60° while ascending from its base to the top - by inversion of its rays. The tiers' offsets allow for dozens of luxury penthouses to have up to 70 m² swimming pools (40% bigger area than those of Signature villas of The Palm) on the terraces of up to 100 m². This tower's base dimensions are closely matching to Jeddah Tower's.

A few more angles:

The image is Ultra HD+ wide (click to view in hi-res)
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #1022
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplificator View Post
Crazy project. Can anyone explain to me why there's a need to build such supertall building in Dubai? From what I understand, the city is surrounded mainly by a large desert, which should mean plenty of cheap land nearby.
Because Dubai is building for the future and to raise the land value as well as tourism ... Making dubai TOP 1 city to have the tallest buildings on earth and I believe it won't be stopping here ... coming 10 to 15 years will be crazy when it comes to Dubai and construction. the city is currently writing its history exciting times ahead
Old October 14th, 2016, 04:36 PM   #1023
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Did we just figure out the name ... great thanks to Adam from the local forum

"Burj Al Hayat" Or translated to english "Tower of Life"

This tower is something else thinking of it, I won't be shocked if they decided to make this tower a mile high! crushing all competitions and future ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2707 View Post
Does this name mean anything to anyone?

Burj Al Hayat? (i think that's what I can make out!)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=876

AP Design liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #1024
INFERNAL ELF

Location: Trondheim Trying to reach Someplace with Skyscrapers
Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
"Not only did Dubai firmly put itself on the map, it even put the map on itself"
Indeed they Did, The ego and enginuity of Dubai is undistputed.

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/
INFERNAL ELF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #1025
Mr.Boss

Likes (Received): 139

KSA and UAE will have the highest building in the world by 2020.
Nice to see all the iconic structures are raising in our gulf countries.
Doha also has many things to be revealed soon.
Mr.Boss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #1026
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post

This tower is something else thinking of it, I won't be shocked if they decided to make this tower a mile high! crushing all competitions and future ones!
What makes you think it is not just an outdated design that was proposed for "the tower"? I mean, this screenshot was from a video about the tower and right after that part they talked about who won the competition.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #1027
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
What makes you think it is not just an outdated design that was proposed for "the tower"? I mean, this screenshot was from a video about the tower and right after that part they talked about who won the competition.
Bcz it wasn't ... this was one competing design with THE TOWER, or a presentation related to it BUT for sure that is a very recent meeting that was done related to the Creek Harbour project. The thing I take from this presentation is that Emaar might and possibly did ask some specificity for competing architectural firms to provide, like height? name? of it, for them to come up with different results of which Emaar had to choose. If you look back at that video, it is very clear that all proposals were 1000m+ which means it was one of the major points in it. So when I see this screenshot with these numbers things start to add up in my head Anyways time will tell but the height of this one will be one fat surprise. Emaar did this with Burj Khalifa when they defeated the Taipei 101 by 320m (which is 60% of the latter's height).

Whisky Peak liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #1028
Whisky Peak
Visionary

Likes (Received): 1275

That's exactly what I thought

► ► https://www.facebook.com/visiondubai ◄ ◄

Gabriel900 liked this post
Whisky Peak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 11:56 PM   #1029
@DalianG.M.

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:

Don't you remember when they were to make the Dubai City Tower of 2400 m?
@DalianG.M. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 12:32 AM   #1030
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DalianG.M. View Post
Don't you remember when they were to make the Dubai City Tower of 2400 m?
No one was making this one ... It is only a vision, for now
Old October 15th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #1031
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
Emaar did this with Burj Khalifa when they defeated the Taipei 101 by 320m (which is 60% of the latter's height).
Which wasn't the wisest thing to do. Since the time it's been topped out they rendered themselves incapable for keeping up the pace and inspire an awe to the world at least once again. At that time, it would be the just same astonishing to make it 600+m, and much more inspiring yet - to announce another 650+m one the next year.
But making it 60% taller was probably a few hundred % more expensive than making it 20% taller. For the given budget, they could break the record at least twice.
Old October 15th, 2016, 02:40 AM   #1032
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Hence why maybe they're "only" spending $1B this time around on a super tower . Not saying it's cheap but I'm sure compared to the costs of BK / 1WTC / ST etc., it's a comparative bargain. Though to be fair I don't know if that price is literally full cost or is simply the superstructure works. I thought BK's was similar. Of course the whole development is a huge cost but something they'll earn back over time and tourism.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 04:04 AM   #1033
AP Design
BANNED

Gosh! For the love of money... Are you serious? The tower named "The Tower" is budgeted at $1B?
Old October 15th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #1034
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
Gosh! For the love of money... Are you serious? The tower named "The Tower" is budgeted at $1B?
I'd joke and say don't quote me on that but I swear it's buried somewhere in this thread that the tower wasn't (comparatively speaking) terribly expensive. But then some may argue you could do a taller tower for far less. I don't pretend to have the slightest clue about analysis for an entire structure's total cost and development other than stating speculation.

Either way, I thought many traditional towers are more expensive than this.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 09:56 AM   #1035
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

It's a tower and not a skyscraper, it's bound to be cheaper than a building with hundrets of floors.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 10:32 AM   #1036
kolbex

Likes (Received): 21

quite interesting
kolbex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 11:05 AM   #1037
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Why would Emaar build a new "building" when they already did it with Burj Khalifa and saw what actually people are after when it comes to it. Here's some points I would like to mention:

1) for the majority of tourists and residents, they don't really care if it's technically a tower or a building or whatever. It will be the tallest and dominate over all these terms.

2) it's waaaayyy different to be thought of as an equal to the Tokyo Skytree or any other traditional tower, and it's not a mast as well since it's not fully dependent on cables as a support, plus it has some properties of a building, yes a building, for gods sake this tower has more than 20 floors including a hotel! I know there is that 50 percent rule but does it really work here? We still don't know how much of it is really habitable plus it's really very thick at its core. To summarize this structure is part tower, part mast and part building. Hate it or love it this one you can't put a label on it and I love it for that.

3) Emaar did the wisest thing with this tower, they saw what people look after in Burj Khalifa and what is making the most money and they decided to go for only these and put them in a new tower. Burj Khalifa's, Armani hotel, observation deck & the restaurants/bars are what really people and tourists throw their money on. Not the residential or office sections of it. So they gathered all these into one tower and saved money by not bothering with what most of tourists and visitors won't care much for, ending up with a tower that has more than 20F (if not the double of that) including hotel, observation decks and tourist amenities.
Old October 15th, 2016, 01:30 PM   #1038
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

Old October 15th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #1039
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
3) Emaar did the wisest thing with this tower, they saw what people look after in Burj Khalifa and what is making the most money and they decided to go for only these and put them in a new tower. Burj Khalifa's, Armani hotel, observation deck & the restaurants/bars are what really people and tourists throw their money on...
It was quite a smart thing to do all that, but "lo mejor es enemigo de lo bueno". I just can't forget how there was announced the immense and absolutely silly trident-shaped tower when BK was nearing its completion. It looked exactly like it was inspired by the avant-garde artworks of Piero Manzoni. Same thing we have to say about the arcs in the lobby of Armani hotel.
Old October 15th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #1040
jain ladda

Likes (Received): 169

Dubai Kicks Off Construction of World's Tallest Building—Again (1200m)

Bohdan Astro liked this post
jain ladda no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek