daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #1121
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

I admired this tower, and Calatrava was my favorite architect at the time I knew about architecture not too much. Turning Torso looked fresh and innovative when it was getting built. But a perfect design should also consider some less obvious details. Having such an immense amount of horizontal structural elements and cut-outs, we have to expect it to become a huge birds nesting hive, even if at the time Malm÷ is not a big city, and it does not currently feel the problems of a big city. There are also architectural methods of making twisted towers without having crooked walls (look at the TT's interiors), and without all of the most important internal partition walls to be non-perpendicular to each other. Also, there are dozens of solutions to maintain the facades withough such risks:

(that's quite a witty idea^, but it makes a highly hazardous device)
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2016, 01:53 AM   #1122
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

That may be true, AP, but I hope with the money spent and the wind tunnel testing along with everything else on such a signature tower doesn't have it end up in a similar situation as some of his other projects.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 02:39 AM   #1123
AP Design
BANNED

I'm sure The Tower will keep standing for at least a hundred years. I'm only surprised why they decided to stop, while having the idea thought only a halfway through. This project may not even return a half of its cost, even in a very long run (crude oil price is currently at its last peak, according to many analytics).

Anyway, I'm sure it's not their goal. I just hope it will be enhanced. For example, with a few cable-stayed features on the top. Cable-stayed design is usually used on a much bigger scale, so it may be suitable for this design, even though the time schedule is tight. It will not be easy for such design to pass a wind tunnel testing, but I'm not suggesting those features to be only cable-stayed without stabilizing the other forces' directions.
Old October 26th, 2016, 03:16 AM   #1124
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
Considering his reputation for collapsing roofs, stages, and other major design flaws, I'm getting worried about The Tower.
Those issues were the fault of the contractor. It's not Calatrava's fault the wrong mortar was used for those tiles, for example. The only thing you could say is that his designs are expensive, but then all good architecture is.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 03:32 AM   #1125
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Those issues were the fault of the contractor. It's not Calatrava's fault the wrong mortar was used for those tiles, for example. The only thing you could say is that his designs are expensive, but then all good architecture is.
I understand. LHC is expensive too. Because it's complicated too. It's so complicated, that you can expect a hydrogen leakage once in a while, and an astonishing repair cost. But it cannot be done any simpler, and we cannot change the very "architecture" of LHC, just because we would like to avoid using hydrogen in a huge scale system.

But regarding the architecture of an Opera house, we don't absolutely need a huge overhanging roof, in order it to be called "impressive". Make it a black shiny minimalistic triangle - and it's already impressive, as long as it has an impressive size and surface quality. No need to make it dangerously complicated for construction, just because you want to prove some stubbornness.
Old October 26th, 2016, 07:38 AM   #1126
PDH

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emarati2009 View Post
Today

Boy , for all the money he must have you think he could at least afford to have his eyebrows trimmed, Really concerned now!!!!!

firoz bharmal, TopoGigio liked this post
PDH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #1127
Burj Khalifa fan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 2579

Did we have this information here before ???

firoz bharmal liked this post
Burj Khalifa fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #1128
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
Considering his reputation for collapsing roofs, stages, and other major design flaws, I'm getting worried about The Tower.
So nobody noticed that all of the shown ''failed'' designs are very complicated?
Sure, a successful building shouldn't have any design flaws, but those flaws get harder to prevent the more complicated the structure is. That's why this happens to futuristic buildings by Zaha Hadid, Frank Gehry and Santiago Calatrava who often challenge the engineering skills and push the boundaries. These shapes have never been built before, unlike some boxy office towers and are at a higher risk for design flaws, since the architects and engineers are in the dark.

The-Real-Link liked this post
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:28 PM   #1129
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Really curious about the rotating balconies. The one in the render looks like it's bolted to the outside.

Coolest liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #1130
Coolest

Likes (Received): 122

Awesome project
Coolest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #1131
citrine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Yeah I have doubts now.
citrine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #1132
andux3
andux3

Likes (Received): 32

Dubai is obsessed with this type of projects, taller, larger ........
andux3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #1133
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
So nobody noticed that all of the shown ''failed'' designs are very complicated?
Sure, a successful building shouldn't have any design flaws, but those flaws get harder to prevent the more complicated the structure is. That's why this happens to futuristic buildings by Zaha Hadid, Frank Gehry and Santiago Calatrava who often challenge the engineering skills and push the boundaries. These shapes have never been built before, unlike some boxy office towers and are at a higher risk for design flaws, since the architects and engineers are in the dark.
I'm sure glad that this one isn't a complicated design.

IBeMo. liked this post
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 02:19 AM   #1134
AP Design
BANNED

They don't really have enough time to develop anything better, something that would also be really meaningful at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised too much, if the sculptor only had to blow the dust off some early drawings that he has pulled out of his old coffer. I used the world sculptor, because Calatrava is a prominent sclulptor in the first place (his sculptures are especially greatly admired by civil engineers), and because The Tower is not as much an architecture as it is a sculpture.

The-Real-Link liked this post
Old October 28th, 2016, 01:48 PM   #1135
podciag

Likes (Received): 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Really curious about the rotating balconies. The one in the render looks like it's bolted to the outside.
one hell of a task mounting a balcony so high up, let alone making it rotate around the structure of the building.
cant imagine it being very comfortable with the wind forces at that altitude.
podciag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #1136
Adam2707

Likes (Received): 103

I did spot on the animation of the tower that the balconies rotate out of the structure, not around.

At the time I thought it was the CGI team going over the top - but looks now like it has been confirmed. I assume it's so they can be retracted in during bad weather etc.

Look from 1:15 onward.

Old October 28th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #1137
TallestKidOnTheBlock

Likes (Received): 131

Will you look at that view? I don't care about the price, when the tower is erected, I will be staying at that hotel. Also, notice how there is no ugly edge between the curtain walls and the floor. The floor simply stops and the glass begins. Beautifully simplistic!

Just_in_Key liked this post
TallestKidOnTheBlock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #1138
Burj Khalifa fan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 2579

Not exactly. It will be like this but 1 km above the ground
Not bad at all too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post

BinSuroor, Emarati2009 liked this post
Burj Khalifa fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #1139
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burj Khalifa fan View Post

Not exactly. It will be like this but 1 km above the ground
And 10 kilometres further away
Old October 28th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #1140
Al6061

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallestKidOnTheBlock View Post

Will you look at that view? I don't care about the price, when the tower is erected, I will be staying at that hotel. Also, notice how there is no ugly edge between the curtain walls and the floor. The floor simply stops and the glass begins. Beautifully simplistic!
I'm affraid that it's not possible to produce such a large single glass pane. Not to mention bending and tempering.

But it looks great
Al6061 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek