daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #1201
Emarati2009

Likes (Received): 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOKYO_COP View Post
There isn't webcam in the area as in the Jeddah Tower?
don't worry

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #1202
Emarati2009

Likes (Received): 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emarati2009 View Post
Emaar extended deadline for companies offers to implement the Tower to November 13
Again they extended deadline to 27 Nov!
Old November 11th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #1203
Arzonz

Likes (Received): 448

Old news. We knew this from when it was approved.
Old November 11th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #1204
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferycamp View Post
His Highness Mohammed bin Rashid describes the new tower's unique architectural masterpiece as equally great and glorious to Burj Khalifa tower and the famous "Eiffel" Tower and will rival them.
I wouldn't call it "unique" and a "masterpiece", because there are similar towers built long time ago, one of them is actually quite similar in its structure to the tower named The Tower:

Sydney Tower

Stratosphere Las Vegas

Calgary Tower

Sky Tower (Auckland)

Central Radio and TV Tower (Beijing)

KL Tower (Kuala Lumpur)

Tashkent Tower

Milad Tower (Tehran)

Fernsehturm Berlin

Tianjin Radio & TV Tower

Liberation Tower (Kuwait)

And by the way, Menara Alor Setar, Space Needle (Seattle) and Zhongyuan Tower are more architectural edifices:

There are dozens of them around the world, actually. This image should give an idea that some of them are quite spacious on the top:

CN Tower decks structure (Toronto)

DJaCoNdA, surfnasi, Nahemah, Kyll.Ing. liked this post

Last edited by AP Design; November 12th, 2016 at 07:27 PM.
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 06:19 AM   #1205
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 28970

so I'm guessing all these have 50F+ including a hotel and a height of over 1000m, with characteristics that stretch from a mast to a tower and a building? Cz quite honestly these look like boring basic towers, nothing like the grandeur and uniqueness of this project.
Old November 12th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #1206
Anonymous-scraperfan
The taller, the better.

Likes (Received): 71

you forgot Tokyo Sky tree which eventually will be moved to 3rd place of tallest structure in the world by The Tower in Dubai or 4th once kingdom tower is done
Anonymous-scraperfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 01:29 PM   #1207
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
I wouldn't call it "unique" and a "masterpiece", because there are similar towers built long time ago, one of them is actually quite similar in its structure to the tower named The Tower:
I also wouldn't call Burj Khalifa "unique" and a "masterpiece", because there is a similar tower built a long time ago, quite similar in its structure to Burj Khalifa:

[/sarcasm]

Cologne cathedral is also similar in structure to any generic German village church, Eiffel Tower is similar in structure to any 100m 19th century lattice tower, Empire State Building is similar in structure to any generic 25 storey 1920s art deco tower...

Last edited by droneriot; November 12th, 2016 at 01:35 PM.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #1208
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

These comparisons are off.. by alot lol
Old November 12th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #1209
Peter Grifin

Likes (Received): 3

They are on, everything need to be compared.

tius86 liked this post
Peter Grifin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #1210
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
I also wouldn't call Burj Khalifa "unique" and a "masterpiece", because there is a similar tower built a long time ago, quite similar in its structure to Burj Khalifa:

[Here be a Ryugyong Hotel picture]

[/sarcasm]
You've just killed all arguments with the checkmate example. There is no contemporary building that can compare to Ryugyong Hotel. This tower is a sacred paragon and an embodiment of perfect architecture. It is the very definition of it in every sense. Showing this example, you can call any other contemporary building a piece of sh!t, not even looking at what is proposed to compare.
Old November 12th, 2016, 08:00 PM   #1211
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Grifin View Post
They are on, everything need to be compared.
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=74856997
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #1212
goodybear

Likes (Received): 683

Quote:
You've just killed all arguments with the checkmate example. There is no contemporary building that can compare to Ryugyong Hotel. This tower is a sacred paragon and an embodiment of perfect architecture. It is the very definition of it in every sense. Showing this example, you can call any other contemporary building a piece of sh!t, not even looking at what is proposed to compare.
Except that that building has been under construction for nearly 30 years, empty and abandoned inside with no opening of it in sight, and it stands in a country whose citizens are told what hairstyles they are allowed or not allowed to have. Anyways lets get back on topic. When is this tower expected to start rising?
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 08:33 PM   #1213
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Am I really the only one around here who thinks the Ryugyong Hotel looks like an ugly rocket drawing of a 7yo? I just can't see the beauty in it

Gabriel900, HenryX liked this post
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #1214
Ridingle28

Likes (Received): 106

really nice
Ridingle28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #1215
AP Design
BANNED

Yes my dear fellows - goodybear and DubaiM: almost everything in that country is like that. But I'm lucky to possess a pretty darn good gift of being able to admit an excellent job, even if it was done by a communist-brainwashed preteen kid with a Down syndrome, who has just tried to offend me in every way he could. I would still be able to publicly say he's done a great job. DubaiM, your imagination is clearly biased by other's influence (Z.Hadid and/or other rebellious sculptors that have lost themselves in architecture).

Ibath liked this post

Last edited by AP Design; November 12th, 2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old November 13th, 2016, 08:16 AM   #1216
Imagon Hahaha

Likes (Received): 131

Well that's quite contradicting ain't it
Imagon Hahaha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #1217
DubaiM

Quote:
DubaiM, your imagination is clearly biased by other's influence (Z.Hadid and/or other rebellious sculptors that have lost themselves in architecture).
So what makes you think that just because I admire Zaha Hadid's work, I wouldn't tolerate any other architect? Maybe I'm not an architect (yet), as you apparently are, but I certainly know that architecture is not only about design and good looks.
I find the Ryugyong Hotel horrible because of many reasons:
- (the most superficial one) It's an ugly tower to look at
- It does not even closely respect its surroundings. The building rather stands out like a sore thumb with absolutely no context to the city.
- The tower has no use to the public and is not integrated in the urban context at ground level --> Functions as a show-off tower that is unreachable for a normal citizen
- The materials look tacky
- The structure is not sustainable at all
- The building has a terrible history with construction stops lasting decades
- Many structural issues were reported (No surprise if you take a look at the naked concrete shell before the tower was cladded)
- I still try to figure out how 105 floors fit in a 300m tall building
- It's still empty and won't find a use anytime soon

Anyway lets stay on topic

goodybear liked this post

Last edited by DubaiM; November 13th, 2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old November 13th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #1218
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
...because I admire Zaha Hadid's work, I wouldn't tolerate any other architect...
You are being very precise here. And it applies to all admirers of any deconstructivist's œuvre. It's not possible to prove anything reasonable to a cult follower (like to an iphoner, or a bmwist). So I can't keep trying, although I could make serious remarks to your comments, esp. after a proposal to stay on topic
Old November 13th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #1219
DubaiM

Quote:
You are being very precise here. And it applies to all admirers of any deconstructivist's œuvre. It's not possible to prove anything reasonable to a cult follower (like to an iphoner, or a bmwist). So I can't keep trying, although I could make serious remarks to your comments, esp. after a proposal to stay on topic
Let me say it differently: I think Zaha Hadid is a great inspiration in terms of design.
I still don't get why I wouldn't like any other style of architecture? Deconstructivist architecture itself is by the way not my favourite style. For me, it's more important that architecture is thought through in terms of sustainability, liveability and integration in the urban context. [email protected] is a great example for a sustainable and liveable skyscraper that houses thousands of people(!).

To make the statement above a little more on topic: That's what is missing a lot in Dubai. Architects in Dubai focus too much on height rather than how the building affects the surroundings. I hope Calatrava has plans for a great plaza at the base of The Tower, because the plaza on the current renders would just be a huge frying pan.

AP Design liked this post
Old November 13th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #1220
AP Design
BANNED

I was trying to point out the level of such obsession. SkyVille @ Dawson looks to be a valid example of a sustainable ideas development, although not characteristic to her style.

I doubt the new development will depend on Calatrava very much. After the developer comes up with all the community features, Calatrava may be involved to introduce some decorations with strings or feathers. He can also come up with twisted or spiky things, but I really hope Emaar and sheikh Mohammed have some serious plans, to make it much more usable than previously presented on visuals and scale models.

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek