daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #1221
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
I was trying to point out the level of such obsession. SkyVille @ Dawson looks to be a valid example of a sustainable ideas development, although not characteristic to her style.
No wonder, the building was designed by WOHA Architects (they have a lot of great looking and sustainable projects. Take a look at them) As I said, I'm not obsessed with her, but she indeed is (or sadly was) a great architect of our time! Her work is design-wise outstanding. The criteria that I mentioned earlier is something different. For those aspects, I like other architects like WOHA (sustainability), BIG (yep not all of their projects, but I think they have a very good understanding of integrating a building in its surroundings), COBE (a small but great office) and Jean Nouvel
---
Yea I also heard that Calatrava is cooperating with a different engineering group (I forgot the name of it)

AP Design liked this post
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #1222
peperodriguez2710
Llonguet

Likes (Received): 13

Overall, it looks quite impressive, actually.
Don't know if this has been discussed before (there are lots of pages), but, there's some kind of special system they've designed for fighting against fire? I mean, it's such a big structure, and fires in skyscrapers are quite rare but difficult to combat, the fires in the Adress Hotel during new year celebrations come to my mind.
Have they said something about emergencies and such?
peperodriguez2710 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #1223
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Maybe there will be an aquatic tuned mass damper, which will also be able to provide the required amount of water. Otherwise, I don't think any pump system will cope in case of fire.

peperodriguez2710 liked this post
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 09:26 PM   #1224
goodybear

Likes (Received): 692

Like AP Design already pointed out, there will probably be water stored somewhere up in that tower. Matter of fact, nearly all buildings in NYC (maybe also Dubai) higher than 10 stories have water tanks in them since the water pressure isnt high enough to rise up so many floors. Also, you would expect there to be sprinklers that run on water from the water tanks. The airconditioners also have cooling liquid and water in them, which can also help extinguish fires, but ultimately when we look at what happened to the Twin Towers we can say fire is a great hazard in tall buildings and structures.

goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #1225
AP Design
BANNED

AFAIR, during The Address hotel 2015-2016 fire, the water tanks were able to supply water for only 30min before getting depleted.

Old November 13th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #1226
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

Fires in tower are very rare and if they occur, they rarely do serious damage - simply because there simply isn't anything that could burn in most of the structure. The 2000 Ostankino Tower fire only did as much damage as it did because of poor maintanance, failing fire suppression systems and packing the tower full of much more equipment than it was designed for. I don't expect such negligence in The Tower.

droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 11:29 PM   #1227
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Keep in mind as well that any AC is probably buried or similar to the burj complex in that it's nowhere near The Tower in a district cooling center. But then the loads of cooling something like The Tower is probably significantly less than that of a building. I'd imagine them having some water reserves somewhere though for sure in the building.

But as AP said, while the Address fire was horrific, it was at least limited to décor and structural aspects - the building itself wasn't compromised. The Tower being limited use, would probably have very little in it (comparatively).

But safety or such issues aside, I hope we can get some progress on foundation works soon! Excited to see what they do for this.

AP Design, peperodriguez2710 liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #1228
Ushtraku
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

Ushtraku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #1229
BinSuroor

Likes (Received): 841

Old November 14th, 2016, 01:21 AM   #1230
AP Design
BANNED

The previous design was a nice dream. Not feasible, obviously. Now it's just an ugly guyed mast at daytime, covering dozens of hectares with the guy-wires. Reminds me of HL-2. It will make up an immense LED canvas at night though.
Old November 14th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #1231
RoofHeightMatters

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
Reminds me of HL-2.
Welcome to City 17. It's safe here.

AP Design, The-Real-Link liked this post
RoofHeightMatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #1232
pdvd

Likes (Received): 107

Where the world wants to live? Hell NO!!! First of all this is a muslim country so hell no I wanna go or even live there. On the second place this dessert will become too hot to live in the upcoming decades.
This is all prestige projects. Most of Burj Kalafi is not even used. So keep on building to show the world who builds the largest... idiotic. But still interesting to follow.
pdvd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 12:16 PM   #1233
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2437

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdvd View Post
Where the world wants to live? Hell NO!!! First of all this is a muslim country so hell no I wanna go or even live there. On the second place this dessert will become too hot to live in the upcoming decades.
This is all prestige projects. Most of Burj Kalafi is not even used. So keep on building to show the world who builds the largest... idiotic..
Demographics of the Country prove otherwise.

Quote:
But still interesting to follow..
thanks
Old November 14th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #1234
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

Quote:
This is all prestige projects. Most of Burj Kalafi is not even used. So keep on building to show the world who builds the largest... idiotic. But still interesting to follow.
People come here and live by their freewill.....

Well Only in last decade population of Dubai grown up by more then million.

Burj Khalifa fan liked this post
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #1235
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

About a sixth of a world is Muslim themselves, and of the others I'd wager a vast majority doesn't have a problem with other people's religions. The current xenophobia trend in the West is not a silent majority but a loudmouth minority and constitutes 5% of the world population at most.

That aside, many people wouldn't want to live in Dubai, myself included, because of the climate. But millions of people would love to live there, and dozens of millions would love to visit (as would I.)
Old November 14th, 2016, 05:35 PM   #1236
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Whoa calm down, it's just an ad. There are enough people who want to live in Dubai, so who cares about one person more or less
Old November 14th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #1237
mohammadreza1001

Likes (Received): 13

Dubai is growing too fast!
I been there twice and the second time I went (4 years later), It looked like a whole new city!
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:14 AM   #1238
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Just ignore trolls and flamebaits guys.

gevorika78 liked this post
Atmosphere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #1239
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2261

Question regarding the build. Once they reach the height where the suspension cables will be do you think they will attach them immediately, or will they attach the suspension cables once the tower is roped out?

The reason I ask is will the tower be able to support itself with out the suspension cables right up to topping out? Now if they attach the cables at their height it will be difficult for the cranes to bring up because the cables could cause obstructions.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2016, 08:55 AM   #1240
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Attached immediately since they are necessary for structural stability.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek