daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2017, 01:16 AM   #1481
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector 7 View Post
Is this a building or a tower?
Perhaps both. It will depend on individual definition. I see it as a tower or structure that doesn't really qualify as a regular building meant for living.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2017, 06:23 PM   #1482
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

It's really so weird the developer has chosen this name (The Tower), even though it's only temporarily. There was already one The Tower in Dubai, built 15 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tower_(Dubai). And even till now it stays named The Tower on Wikimapia: http://wikimapia.org/#lat=25.2167&lon=55.28&z=19

Meehoowk666 liked this post
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #1483
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5760

Quote:
Both, a building on top of a very tall tower.

Daniel2011, moataz89 liked this post
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 09:33 PM   #1484
city of the future
city of the future

Likes (Received): 249

Can't wait
city of the future no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:56 PM   #1485
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1637

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that by definition a building needs to have at least 50% of its height as usable floors. So this is a tower. Either that or it's a building with a huge spire on the bottom.

MarshallKnight liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:58 PM   #1486
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1637

Also, a building needs to be self-supporting. This has dozens of guy-wires, so in that regard it doesn't even qualify as a self-supporting structure.

Daniel2011 liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:17 PM   #1487
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

What is the timeline for completion for the wider development? (the surrounding towers and buildings etc)
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:08 PM   #1488
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

While there are a lot of cables, I don't think we know if the tower is truly self-supporting yet or not. That's a lot of investment in aesthetics but if the tower had a huge concrete core with enough lateral connections and dampening, I could imagine it self supporting. Now, of course the design definitely seems to indicate a reliance on the cables but how much so? No idea.

The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:14 PM   #1489
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29197

my humble thought on this is that the cables are only there to "stabilize" such a long and slender tower, while 90% of the support is coming from the core!

Oh plus we don't know what Emaar did in their latest design change ... we might end up with it having more than 50% usable floors. Anyways lots of secrets are waiting to be unveiled on this mesmerizing monstrous piece of art ... 2020 is only 3 years from now

The-Real-Link, Daniel2011 liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:01 PM   #1490
Gabriel900
Super Mod

My last visit to the Sales center at DCH:

Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:37 AM   #1491
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2044

Wow! This thing is going to rise very very fast. I'm sure it will be faster than 1 meter/day

fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:51 AM   #1492
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
my humble thought on this is that the cables are only there to "stabilize" such a long and slender tower, while 90% of the support is coming from the core!

Oh plus we don't know what Emaar did in their latest design change ... we might end up with it having more than 50% usable floors. Anyways lots of secrets are waiting to be unveiled on this mesmerizing monstrous piece of art ... 2020 is only 3 years from now
Good points. I too was thinking say, 90% main support is the core with 10% or less being cable-stayed. But yeah they could always extend the floors down or up to nab that 51% ratio haha. Of course in architectural design we learn early on that you can't have dead end hallways and to always have x meters or feet minimum for points of egress. But that works for the majority of structures in a spread out, longitudinal fashion. Other than refuge / safety floors, is there any appropriate criteria established in the same way for vertical structures? Usually as long as the building is deemed structurally strong against prevailing loads, climate conditions, and engineered for realistic disaster scenarios, I'm personally not aware of what is preventing a tower having a shaft with no floors for example, 1,000' / 300M. I mean, sure there needs to be bracing but thinking back to how most circular hotels and buildings are laid out, I'd imagine a thick outer wall in this case, with 4 sets of two to three elevator banks arcing around the perimeter inside of the tower. Or barring that, a few sets of elevators encased in a secondary traditional core. This would mean 8 elevators minimum radically or 16 to 24 either radially or in-core or both. Almost guaranteed to have two reinforced stairwells too, or maybe three, I wouldn't think four even though cardinally it would make sense.

We wouldn't honestly see an upset the likes of JT and The Tower since the art deco classical races of the 1920-30s, where the Bank of Manhattan and Chrysler vied for tallest, then lost against the ESB. Sure Petronas and Sears was an important turning point too but not in the same height-vs-height way. I wonder if Emaar will pull a (taller) structure from their hat of tricks .

But whatever the result, we're ending up with one of the tallest and most unique structures for sure!

Maybe someone who has worked and done logistics for skyscrapers here can fill us in? Is there any law that would state that people can't just walk down 50-100 floors without a stopping point / break / refuge room? The lower shaft would have to have some kind of transition floors internally at a minimum but without seeing any confirmed floor plans we simply have no idea.

TLDR - Curious about the logistics of the tower and how it'll work.

Gabriel900, Daniel2011 liked this post

Last edited by The-Real-Link; February 3rd, 2017 at 01:05 AM.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 06:06 AM   #1493
mafd12

Likes (Received): 2309

When I see those models I think how would be live in those houses of three floors in front of the world's tallest structure?
mafd12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 06:41 AM   #1494
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Useless (Dubai already has the world's highest observation deck at Burj Khalifa) and impractical, but also very beautiful - as long as the cables will truly be built to scale as shown in the model. Obviously, Dubai does not want to lose the "World's tallest man-made structure" title to Jeddah. So maybe in that sense it isn't entirely useless.

It could probably be made much taller too. Wouldn't it be something if it became the world's first mile-tall structure? (Though I'm guessing that doesn't mean much in countries using the metric system.)

Last edited by DFDalton; February 3rd, 2017 at 06:46 AM.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:36 AM   #1495
goodybear

Likes (Received): 692

To be fair the view from this tower will be very different than from the Burj Khalifa due to its different location. Also it will be significantly higher by at least 200-300 meters. And Id just like to point out that Shanghai Tower currently has the highest observation deck in the world at 561 meters. But anyways, I am very excited to see this tower begin to take shape, I'm especially curious on how they will attach the cables.

Bligh liked this post
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 01:14 PM   #1496
keber

Likes (Received): 1346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
100% of weight and no less is supported by the core. Cables are here for horizontal stability only. Without them whole tower would overturn in any (severe) weather or other disaster.

Gabriel900, BinSuroor, The-Real-Link liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 02:43 PM   #1497
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

From a distance this will definitely look magnificent, but from up close, I wonder how the core is going to look.
Not very appealing I'm afraid, like this https://www.google.nl/maps/@3.154319...!7i2508!8i1254
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:00 PM   #1498
Gabriel900
Super Mod

The core won't be like that! And its a billion times thicker (figure of speech) ... people need to understand we are dealing with a core with a thickness of a normal skyscraper. They won't allow it to look dull and boring, plus I won't be surprised if was more than just a "core" ...
Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:11 PM   #1499
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5553

I don't like the surroundings...
Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:20 PM   #1500
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 609

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
Wow! This thing is going to rise very very fast. I'm sure it will be faster than 1 meter/day
I surely hope so.
That would be a spectacular speed.

But we have to wait and see what the real rising speed will be.
So far, nothing is going vertical yet...

Last edited by oud-Rotterdammer; February 3rd, 2017 at 03:52 PM.
oud-Rotterdammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek