daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #1521
Kernowkid66

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKlover View Post
Dubai going forward and forward....
You mean upwards and upwards!

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #1522
lFurqanl
Pro User

Likes (Received): 479

Who said this tower is going to be 1100m+ Like not even 1 single site said it was going to be more than 1000m... Don't get your hopes up and the way the Jeddah tower is designed would allow the Kingdom Holding company to extend their spire even up to another 200 or so meters. Originally the Burj Khalifa, it was designed to only be 510 meters or so but the the design of the building allowed to be be much taller than anticipated. Also the Jeddah tower is not stacked like the Burj Khalifa but is more circular in design which allows to Jeddah tower to push even taller without dealing with intense winds.

Last edited by lFurqanl; February 7th, 2017 at 09:43 PM.
lFurqanl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #1523
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMarkets View Post
The Shanghai Tower's observation deck (at 561m) surpassed the Burj Khalifa's (555m) a couple of months ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observ...ervation_decks
Mecca clock tower page claims it has an ob at 558m aswell.

Daniel2011 liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #1524
goodybear

Likes (Received): 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by lFurqanl View Post
Who said this tower is going to be 1100m+ Like not even 1 single site said it was going to be more than 1000m... Don't get your hopes up and the way the Jeddah tower is designed would allow the Kingdom Holding company to extend their spire even up to another 200 or so meters. Originally the Burj Khalifa, it was designed to only be 510 meters or so but the the design of the building allowed to be be much taller than anticipated. Also the Jeddah tower is not stacked like the Burj Khalifa but is more circular in design which allows to Jeddah tower to push even taller without dealing with intense winds.
Two things I have to say about that. 1. Jeddah towers top part of the spire is metal, which means it could be extended but it would totally ruin the design of the angled sides of the tower. Also, wind loads at such a height are so great I doubt the spire could be increased by very much. Furthermore, Burj Khalifa's height increase was easier due to the straight setbacks the tower had, not the angled sides. 2. A few sites and diagrams have acknowledged this tower has a top floor of 1014m height (although I'm not sure if this figure is correct) which means the tower will be taller than 1000 meters. Also, I do not see the point of Dubai building a tower taller than the Burj Khalifa without it beating Jeddah Tower. The construction on Jeddah Tower has been slow lately so even if it will be smaller than Jeddah Tower, the Tower at Dubai Creek Harbor will most likely surpass Jeddah Tower at least temporarily due to the difference in construction speeds.

Last edited by goodybear; February 8th, 2017 at 07:22 PM.
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 09:53 PM   #1525
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 28989

Quote:
Originally Posted by lFurqanl View Post
Okay I am soooooooooo tired of this bullsh*t ... A local news site said internal sources told them it will be higher than 1100m that is first.

Second are you calling H.H. Sheikh Mohammad bin Rahed Al Maktoum a LIAR? Because he said himself this tower once done will be the TALLEST in the world in 2020. Emaar confirmed his statement that this tower will be the TALLEST in the world in 2020. So what about you stop trolling. thank you.
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #1526
lFurqanl
Pro User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodybear View Post
Burj Khalifa's height was increased during the planning stage, not while the building was already under construction.
I agree with everything you said except this part. The Burj Khalifa was already under construction even before the final height was agreed upon..

Here's the documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mt8SifFqZQ
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:24 PM   #1527
lFurqanl
Pro User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Okay I am soooooooooo tired of this bullsh*t ... A local news site said internal sources told them it will be higher than 1100m that is first.

Second are you calling H.H. Sheikh Mohammad bin Rahed Al Maktoum a LIAR? Because he said himself this tower once done will be the TALLEST in the world in 2020. Emaar confirmed his statement that this tower will be the TALLEST in the world in 2020. So what about you stop trolling. thank you.
Lol I'am not trolling if you read what I said you might have understood what I meant by the height extension and nothing is confirmed. Both the Jeddah and "The Tower" say they will be the tallest one so roll your dice and take your bet. Also There is a reason why the Kingdom Holding company wants the tallest building to increase jobs and to attract foreigners to Saudi Arabia and especially in the city of Jeddah. By letting the tower beat the Jeddah tower would completely destroy Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Al Saud Plans to transform Jeddah and to attract foreigners. So yeah.

Daniel2011, Infesus liked this post

Last edited by lFurqanl; February 7th, 2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:31 PM   #1528
Gabriel900
Super Mod

then maybe before you post, make sure it what you write make sense. The tower might top out in 2020 and when HIS HIGHNESS revealed it will be tallest, it was when Jeddah Tower was still expected to finish in 2020.

So to summarize for you, Dubai knows how to play this game, they did it before with burj khalifa, so I won't role my dice but I will assume just like you did in your post above the opposite of what you said, this one won't only be taller but will be taller with a huge difference.

Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #1529
lFurqanl
Pro User

Quote:
then maybe before you post, make sure it what you write make sense. The tower might top out in 2020 and when HIS HIGHNESS revealed it will be tallest, it was when Jeddah Tower was still expected to finish in 2020.

So to summarize for you, Dubai knows how to play this game, they did it before with burj khalifa, so I won't role my dice but I will assume just like you did in your post above the opposite of what you said, this one won't only be taller but will be taller with a huge difference.
We will see. We have to pull up our pants for this one.
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #1530
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Good for you ...

Anyways next week I should be heading back to the site ... hopefully this time will try to get close up pics of the construction ... I am so excited for this one to start going vertical
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #1531
lFurqanl
Pro User

Quote:
Good for you ...

Anyways next week I should be heading back to the site ... hopefully this time will try to get close up pics of the construction ... I am so excited for this one to start going vertical
We are all exited because this project is unlike any other supertall we have ever seen.

Daniel2011, goodybear liked this post
Old February 7th, 2017, 11:19 PM   #1532
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Mohamed Alabbar said it will be 100m taller than BK. Which is still going to be the tallest in 2020. Plus, the latest scale model that we see on the previous pages confirms it's projected to be around 930+m.
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #1533
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

That may be true, AP, but wasn't 705 meters for the Burj the confirmed height by people in the know for the longest time too (I thought that was the only figure even remotely hinted at by press releases by Emaar)?

I'm with Gab on this one. No way they're going to build something between 829 and 1,000 or whatever JT ends up being. That'd just be silly. 170m or so isn't too gargantuan a height to overcome on it's own especially looking at how the Burj exceeded Taipei 101 by over 300 meters at the time. It's tallest or bust. Dubai wants to win, badly, and has the drive to make it happen.
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #1534
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
Mohamed Alabbar said it will be 100m taller than BK. Which is still going to be the tallest in 2020. Plus, the latest scale model that we see on the previous pages confirms it's projected to be around 930+m.
Please link me to when he himself said that then? bcz you are only believing a baseless rumor started by CNN. I know people in Emaar and they themselves never heard him say it

So unless you can prove it with an interview or something because his highness for the trillion time for all thickheads out there and Emaar said it will be tallest in 2020 when Jeddah tower was still supposed to finish then.

So unless you are suggesting that you will believe the dumbest media outlet out there over his highness and the developer?

And don't make me start on you baseless claim on the latest model .. you don't know half of it, plus we has an insider who tipped us that LAST FLOOR (before spire) will be on 1015m

Oh wait No we shall not believe them you are right if CNN gods spoke then they are right!

It is amazing, some local media now said this one will be higher than 1100 and we have insiders who tipped us of the last floor being on 1015, plus the RULER of dubai said it will be tallest BECAUSE DUBAI WONT ACCEPT ANYTHING ELSE and EMAAR said the same but NOOOOOOO who cares about all these rejects when CNN says one thing 2 years ago, we shall believe CNN
Old February 8th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #1535
Emarati2009

Likes (Received): 3452

Quote:
Mohammad bin Rashed said it will be the tallest in the world

Emarati2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #1536
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3395

Can`t they build it on Palm Jumeirah or close to SZR. Right now there is nothing there. It will take ages before the area will be interesting to visit.

So i have to walk through an entire district under construction like i did it with BK
But i am a skyscraper nerd so i will do it again

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #1537
lFurqanl
Pro User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emarati2009 View Post
Mohammad bin Rashed said it will be the tallest in the world
Where? and When did he say that?
Old February 8th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #1538
BinSuroor

Likes (Received): 819

There you go

https://twitter.com/hhshkmohd/status/785532452307697664
Old February 8th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #1539
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Binsuroor thank you ... hopefully they believe his highness ... some give CNN more credibility than him

Edit: there is another post for him that day where he said something like "Dubai won't settle for anything but first place" ... but what does he know .. some here claim they know better

BinSuroor, Daniel2011 liked this post

Last edited by Gabriel900; February 8th, 2017 at 04:04 PM.
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 04:03 PM   #1540
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Mohamed Alabbar said it will be 100m taller than BK.
God is it so hard to understand? The tower will be at least 100m taller than BK, not exactly 929m! The term ''at least'' means that the tower could be 931m, 1000m, 1200m or 1600m tall. Doesn't matter!
Oh and btw don't trust every source. His Highness is for sure the one person to know the height best and not some random CNN journalist who can't get his facts straight.

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek