daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2017, 01:26 PM   #1921
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

New York City comes up with an innovative hybrid-skyscraper and it would be the revolution of architecture. Dubai comes up with an innovative hybrid-skyscraper and it's a an inefficient and useless architectural nightmare.

Dubai haters will always exist. They really don't have a problem with the tower itself, but with the city it's located in. Dubai's projects can be as good as they want, but haters gonna hate, cuz it's Dubai.

I don't know why exactly people have a bug up their a** about the UAE, but in my opinion it's no more than prejudices and jealousy

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #1922
Emarati2009

Likes (Received): 3477

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaron View Post
Sure, the people of United Arab Emirates will have to pay for it.

Whisky Peak, goodybear liked this post
Emarati2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #1923
CHINA0086

Likes (Received): 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
New York City comes up with an innovative hybrid-skyscraper and it would be the revolution of architecture. Dubai comes up with an innovative hybrid-skyscraper and it's a an inefficient and useless architectural nightmare.

Dubai haters will always exist. They really don't have a problem with the tower itself, but with the city it's located in. Dubai's projects can be as good as they want, but haters gonna hate, cuz it's Dubai.

I don't know why exactly people have a bug up their a** about the UAE, but in my opinion it's no more than prejudices and jealousy
Its human weakness.dont mind this too much.

I want to talk to those jealousy guys,or talk to myself,try to think about that almost everyone here will die in this century, as skyscraper fan,we desire to see what future looks like,so that sometimes i even want to living in 25 century or 1000 years later,see what the world looks like by that time,but that is impossible,we are in here already,but we can cheating,we want to see the future as soon as possible,and we can,Duabi is doing this great thing.

I ever jealousy,but now ,i just want to see the future,dont care which city is,just need to know,we have no much time,only few decades for us.

m6b7n liked this post
CHINA0086 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 06:30 PM   #1924
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

I agree, and I love the pace at which it is going. The next world's tallest building in Dubai (by next I mean after this one) could be a space launch railgun giving people space travel for the price of a plane ticket, and at the Dubai development pace it'll be under construction in 2025. Just hop in your hyperloop to Dubai and visit the orbit hotel for a weekend.

Oatmeal liked this post
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:26 PM   #1925
ballom

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
I agree, and I love the pace at which it is going. The next world's tallest building in Dubai (by next I mean after this one) could be a space launch railgun giving people space travel for the price of a plane ticket, and at the Dubai development pace it'll be under construction in 2025. Just hop in your hyperloop to Dubai and visit the orbit hotel for a weekend.
Don't dream too much.
It's already fantastic than for 2025-2026 we will see the ITS (best rocket ever made, 100% reusable even bigger than saturn V with an absurd payload capacity and it can be a manned spacecraft)

But a space launch railgun? even IF we finaly got everything for design a functionnal and affordable one, buiding everything for it will probably took at least 10 years
ballom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #1926
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Sure, but revenues is not everything. You also have to think about the expences. Maintainance and repair of this building will be horrendous. Pure nighmare.

Empire State is a simple structure and come on, it stands not somewhere... it stands in New York.
What the hell are you blabbing about?
I can cheat you blind.

Gabriel900, DubaiM, m6b7n, goodybear liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:09 AM   #1927
ovaron
BANNED

Likes (Received): 632

Only stupid cats build buildings and think the work is done.

In the end maintaining the building will be much more expensive than building it. Especially with a construction like this. If i just think about painting the cables all couples of years.

It will look like this a lot of time in the future:

They needed like three years to get this bridge im my old neighborhood done. And it is tiny compared to the tower.
ovaron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:11 AM   #1928
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Empire State is a simple structure and come on, it stands not somewhere... it stands in New York.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:59 AM   #1929
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
In the end maintaining the building will be much more expensive than building it. Especially with a construction like this. If i just think about painting the cables all couples of years.
Hopefully, the future graphene-based cables will eliminate the need for maintenance (and at the same time, will reduce their weight at least 10 times).

ovaron, m6b7n, friendsofthecity liked this post
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:12 PM   #1930
sebiart

Likes (Received): 9

@ovaron

think about the Eiffel Tower, so many little structures to paint and it is still there for nearly 130 years now.

If you build an icon, you are willing to pay for the maintenance.
sebiart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #1931
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebiart View Post
@ovaron

think about the Eiffel Tower, so many little structures to paint and it is still there for nearly 130 years now.

If you build an icon, you are willing to pay for the maintenance.
Jesus, do you really compare an almost 130 years old building with this state-of-the-art project? Materials back then in the 19th century were very basic. Today there are many options to minimise maintenance. Your hometown also doesn't have the budget to use the best materials and to maintain the building efficiently. That's why it takes so long.
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #1932
AP Design
BANNED

I think
Quote:
Jesus
is not entirely wrong comparing it to the Eiffel Tower. AAMOF, the structural material of the currently most advanced tower's upper part is pretty much the same. But let's hope they will be using the new B2-crystalline Fe-Al-Ni steel at least here (it was invented 5 years after the BK's opening).

Last edited by AP Design; May 9th, 2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #1933
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Jesus, do you really compare an almost 130 years old building with this state-of-the-art project? Materials back then in the 19th century were very basic. Today there are many options to minimise maintenance. Your hometown also doesn't have the budget to use the best materials and to maintain the building efficiently. That's why it takes so long.
The materials may have improved but the physics are still the same. There will a phenomenal amount of routine inspection and maintenance. You can't just build a building a forget about it bc materials improved. Nature rots buildings, those sand particles, erode buildings and get into the mech system. It takes off paint...so like the golden gate bridge, painting those cables will be a huge expense alone. Think the golden gate has a crew year round just painting cables. The maintenance of this isn't some summer job bc materials improved. If anything, when something goes wrong (which things will bc you have moving parts etc) it will be even more costly than a simple system.

ovaron, GENERAL07, Kyll.Ing. liked this post
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #1934
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

Yeah the tower will need to be maintained, like every other building in the world, and every car, appliance, furniture and even your own body. It's such common knowledge that everything needs maintainance that duh obviously that was the first thing Emaar factored into their financial projections, so I honestly have no idea how this is a subject of debate.

Ultra84 liked this post
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #1935
Orion602

Likes (Received): 21

What is the projected life expectancy of such structure, bytheway ?
1-2 centuries or more? can it stand for more than 500 years?
Orion602 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #1936
AP Design
BANNED

The Eiffel Tower, for example, is supposed to last "forever" - according to its website (as long as it is regularly protected from pollution, rust and birds feces).
"This Tower" can stand for more than 500 years, but it won't - because surely there will be no need for it after 200 years.
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #1937
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5759

I'm curious how these tall towers will be taken down in the future. So far not too many tall buildings have been brought down, I think the tallest are 40-50 stories. And as far as I know they were all brought down by implosion. But how would you bring the Burj Kalifa down, or 432 Park in NY, without damaging the surrounding neighborhood? Just wondering.
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:13 AM   #1938
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29101

Burj khalifa will never be brought down as long as there is humans around to maintain it ... but there is a way to bring structures down gently ... here's an article

http://www.core77.com/posts/55976/Ja...te-Electricity

AnOldBlackMarble, Orion602 liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #1939
victor del rey

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
The Eiffel Tower, for example, is supposed to last "forever" - according to its website (as long as it is regularly protected from pollution, rust and birds feces).
"This Tower" can stand for more than 500 years, but it won't - because surely there will be no need for it after 200 years.
There is no need for many old building around the world although they remain where they are due to historical reasons, maybe it won't be needed in the future but it won't be tear down just because of that. Then , the empire state building could also be demolished and replaced but a taller , greener and bigger building but it's not. There are other things apart from money.
Old May 10th, 2017, 02:31 AM   #1940
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

There have been a few books and documentaries about skyscraper demolition if I recall, such as a hypothetical future where an old short building called the Empire State was at the end of life. Explosive were of course not an option in crowded NYC so they simply stripped off most materials, then unbolted the steel floor by floor. A lengthy deconstruction, rather, than a fast and sudden implosion. I think the book once said that it took a year to take down the ESB in reverse (ironically about as long as it took to build), and the mooring mast was left in a park as testament to the history and building existing.

Should The Tower be brought down in hundreds of years, sure; there's a huge plaza that in theory gives it the space to handle an implosion. But hopefully all willing, that will be in a far future once this structure is old and dated and has served its function long past the lifetime of any of us here.

TLDR, I think any of our skyscrapers today will be deconstructed piecemeal instead of outright imploded unless space allows for it.

But back to The Tower, yeah maintenance of course reminds me strongly of bridges. I hope with some new material tech today that we can at least reduce how often the cables and connections need maintenance because if they rust or are pooped on, could quickly become unsightly. But as was said, I am sure Emaar has factored in the cleaning and maintenance of such a project from the get-go as part of the lifetime calculations.

Orion602 liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek