daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #1
kelvin_ken

Likes (Received): 117

The best airport in USA

The best airport in USA

Best U.S. Airports Indianapolis International Airport (IND)

flying in-new airport (17) by Amy Wagliardo, on Flickr

Main entrance, Indianapolis International Airport by Paul McClure, on Flickr

DSC07892 by zeromirabilis, on Flickr

Although some of them canít be the best one, I think they are really good already because I think it is stunningly difficult to build up and run an airport. How wonderful!
Whereís the inspiration comes from? "God created man, and He gave man His breath and also gave man some of His wisdom, of His power, and of what He has and is. After God gave man these, man could do something independently and think something independently. ... God has given man wisdom, and man does things with the wisdom given by God; if what man does is a positive thing in Godís eyes, it is approved, acknowledged, and accepted by God, and God does not pass any judgment or make any criticism on it. This is something no human being or evil spirit or Satan can do." from A Continuation of The Word Appears in the Flesh

Nexis, Orion602, shakman liked this post

Last edited by kelvin_ken; April 14th, 2016 at 08:23 PM.
kelvin_ken no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2016, 03:45 AM   #2
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

LaGuardia Airport is most certainly the worst of the worst in terms of In't Airports... I'm sure this country has other terrible Airports...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #3
Nicko9

Likes (Received): 643

100% agree with LaGuardia being the worst. Awful, awful airport.
Nicko9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

LaGuardia is definitely the worst airport in the East Coast USA. Epic fail
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #5
shakman

Location: PRMD - People's Republic of Maryland (via Richmond, VA)
Likes (Received): 398

Unfortunately NYC's three largest airports made the list for the worst. I would have to agree.

"Followers do what is normal; leaders set examples"

-sb
shakman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 12:10 AM   #6
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

I don't think JFK is bad , its more modern and clean...
Visit the New Jersey Section

AlexisMD liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:26 AM   #7
manuelmonge

Location: living in: Mexico City, from: Mazatlan, second cities: Obregon/Phoenix/Tucson
Likes (Received): 6926

sorry if my english is kind of bad...

i take a NYC-Houston flight from LaGuardia the last summer... i was in shock!, that airport is so ugly!, here in Mexico bus terminals are very important, well, there are some bus terminals way better than that airport! the alleys are so small, the security checkpoint is like from a middle sized mexican city national airport!

from Rome to NYC i arrived at Newark, the airport uhmm was ok, but as a foreigner, i heard about NYC and i think about the best of the best, Newark seems very old, at least the alleys and waiting areas are spacious!

again sorry for my lame ass english

Kot Bazilio, DouglasFir33 liked this post
manuelmonge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #8
marcos_vc30

Likes (Received): 2369

Why those airports are the worst?
Old February 14th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #9
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 567

Not well known outside of England, but Newcastle( NCL) works well for a medium sized airport. It is conveniently located next to the A1 and has a regular Metro service into the city centre. The layout is simple to understand, the staff are helplful and the outlets like Greggs and WH Smith don't rip you off. Also there is plenty of parking and it uses a system where you pay on the way out, which avoids parking fines.
To me, I wasn't impressed with Dubai. It was clean and modern, but it was full of hawkers trying to sell you lottery tickets, people sleeping on the floor and some of the staff were abrupt to say the least and the catering was poor. However, interesting to see airlines like Air Congo that you would never see in Europe.
Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:33 AM   #10
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4257

LaGuardia reminds me of Frankfurt airport.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #11
Kot Bazilio

Likes (Received): 2661

Is there any plans or projects to reconstruction LaGuardia Airport and J. K. Airport? It's a shame,that such a great city like NYC have so disgusting and terrible airports.
Kot Bazilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:32 AM   #12
SkySquirrel

Likes (Received): 7

Yes. There is an ambitious plan to completely reconstruct LaGuardia Airport and unify all the terminals (except for the Marine Air Terminal which has historical value). Construction has actually begun; a new parking garage has been built, and two old hangars were demolished to make way.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

LaGuardia is only a domestic airport.

JFK is a little more complicated. It actually consists of multiple terminal buildings in a circle, all of which are different. But some of the newer buildings really aren't so bad, such as the new American Airlines terminal (for which two older buildings were removed) and the JetBlue terminal which recently expanded to handle international flights (also, taking over the site of an older terminal building.) Only T2 (some Delta flights, domestic-only) can really be considered obsolete, and many think its days are numbered anyway.

Last edited by SkySquirrel; February 19th, 2016 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Add link
SkySquirrel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:24 AM   #13
sali_haci
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 2648

I have used JFK like 3 times on different terminals and it didn't feel so bad... Looked nice and clean, well organised, well connected to the city. It was busy of course but that is not such a big problem especially when you compare it to other airports I've been to.

Ovidius
sali_haci está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #14
L2
King of Bali

Likes (Received): 471

Best ever = LAX

So modern, such wonderful and non congested ground transportation, and so many facilities before security.
Old June 9th, 2017, 09:01 AM   #15
L2
King of Bali

duplicate

Last edited by L2; June 9th, 2017 at 10:03 AM.
L2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 09:52 AM   #16
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelmonge View Post
sorry if my english is kind of bad...

i take a NYC-Houston flight from LaGuardia the last summer... i was in shock!, that airport is so ugly!, here in Mexico bus terminals are very important, well, there are some bus terminals way better than that airport! the alleys are so small, the security checkpoint is like from a middle sized mexican city national airport!

from Rome to NYC i arrived at Newark, the airport uhmm was ok, but as a foreigner, i heard about NYC and i think about the best of the best, Newark seems very old, at least the alleys and waiting areas are spacious!

again sorry for my lame ass english
You know what's even worse than LaGuardia? Mexico City airport. Literally falling apart. The bathrooms didn't even have toilet paper Disgusting turd of an airport
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #17
The Polman

Likes (Received): 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Unfortunately NYC's three largest airports made the list for the worst. I would have to agree.

Thank you for that information. Could you give me advice on the least worst non-stop route for me (embarking in either AMS, DUS or BRU) and which airport/terminal I could land in the US (either NYC or in Connecticut)? Does flying with a SkyTeam, Star Alliance, OneWorld or LHLCC make the difference?

Because I like to land at great airports. But otherwise I go back via a different airport. And this year I want to go to the USA for the first time driven by someone else temporarily going to live there.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #18
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2598

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Best ever = LAX

So modern, such wonderful and non congested ground transportation, and so many facilities before security.
I wonder if people know you're joking!

Apparently a rail connection to LAX will happen soon. But for now it's a chore. I did this recently. First the bus from the satellite terminal to the main terminal. Then a bus through the airport loop to a city bus stop. Then a bus to the train. Then the first train. Then the second train. A wait between each of those. Lots of traffic along the way.

The good ones have a train you can walk to from the terminal, which takes you right through the city center and runs frequently...London, SF, Philly....even Seattle and Portland, and kind of Denver...
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #19
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I wonder if people know you're joking!

Apparently a rail connection to LAX will happen soon. But for now it's a chore. I did this recently. First the bus from the satellite terminal to the main terminal. Then a bus through the airport loop to a city bus stop. Then a bus to the train. Then the first train. Then the second train. A wait between each of those. Lots of traffic along the way.

The good ones have a train you can walk to from the terminal, which takes you right through the city center and runs frequently...London, SF, Philly....even Seattle and Portland, and kind of Denver...
Thankfully, LAX is in the middle of a 20 billion dollar remodel. The new international terminal opened recently and its fantastic. The other 7 terminals have either recently been remodeled, are in the middle of being remodeled or will be shortly. Additionally, there will be 2 or 3 new terminals being built that will add new gates, a people mover that will connect the terminals to a centralized baggage, security and rail station. Also, they will be building a centralized garage and rent a car station outside of the airport (next to the rail station) and removing the garages inside the loop. In a few years, the entire airport will practically be brand new
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #20
L2
King of Bali

LAX does get hated on a lot. It does work (it's not chaotic or disorganised) but it's pretty underwhelming for what it is, you know the 4th busiest airport in the world and the busiest origin/destination airport in the world.

The only thing that is truly that bad is the rudeness of the US Customs & Border Protection officers there.

I'd like to see what they can as it's a bit constrained for land and you'd need to cause huge disruptions to actually make major changes to the place.

Are they ever going to build a people mover as has been talked about? That would be a huge improvement on the ground transport front, have used them at other airports like Phoenix SkyHarbor and it's great being able to get on a shuttle from the edge of the airport premises directly to the terminal in 5 minutes. When I was there the other night a third of the drive from downtown was just getting through the traffic congestion in the loop.