daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 12:16 AM   #21
mad_nick

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteSentence
-A connection to the Transbay Terminal (one block from Market Street, the "main drag" of the City) is hotly contested. The high density of the area requires the line to be underground, which prevents the current diesel-based system from expanding in this direction. A while ago I read that they hope to have completely electrified the system by 2009, but we'll see. That would be a prerequisite to northward expansion.
Not necessarily, they could order dual-mode locomotives, NYC railroad tunnels have been electric only by law since the early 20th century and because of that, there are dozens of dual-mode locomotives that can switch between diesel and third rail traction operating in the northeast (incluing most of Amtrak's northeastern diesel fleet).

Though obviously electrifying would be preferable, diesels have extremely sluggish acceleration by comparison (especially compared to EMU's), and faster acceleration allows for tighter scheduling with shorter headways between trains as well as faster service, especially on a line with as many stops as Caltrain.
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:49 AM   #22
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

No, I haven't ridden it, although I do recognize its old fleet of double-decker trains, which I've ridden on the Montréal-Rigaud commuter line.

I do have a thought about Caltrain -- as well as the scores of other N Amercian commuter rail lines -- and that is how come its service hasn't been converted from diesel to pure electricity? Using diesel to get a train around an urban community is really peculiar, particularly for most urban networks where the stations are really close to each other.

Cheers,
Chris
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM   #23
mad_nick

Likes (Received): 16

^ IMO there are three major reasons, one is that most NA commuter rail systems don't own their tracks, but rather, they're owned by freight railroads. This requires the freight railroads to approve of any improvements made to the track. Needless to say, they're not too fond of any improvements that brings increased passenger service to their tracks. The most electrified systems in NA, the New York area systems and SEPTA, own all or most of their own tracks.

The second reason is politics, highways get most of the funding in this country and transit gets very little.

The third is that most NA commtuer rail systems have very low ridership, many are peak only operations with a few trains to the city in the morning and a few out of the city in the evening. Obviously these kinds of operations have little incentive to electrify. But the larger systems, like Chicago's Metra, Boston's MBTA, and Caltrain (not so large, but with a high ridership / route mile), have the ridership to justify electrifying, but with the possible exception of Caltrain, very little political will-power to electrify.

BTW, are there any plans to expand the electrification on AMT?
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:28 PM   #24
elkram
BANNED

Just as I've been thinking -- thank you for your feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_nick
They announced their re-establishing the long-awaited Train de L'Est last month -- their press release is in French only:

http://www.amt.qc.ca/comm/affiche_communique.asp?no=303

Basically it says that it's going to cost $300 Cdn to revert the freight-only tracks to accommate commuter traffic, involving the erection of 11 of its 14 stations.

Other than that, L'AMT is all about lip service. I see that they've now pulled their webpages on the Parc-Avenue tram, the tram over the ice bridge linking the South Shore with the southwest corner of the inner city on the island here, and the Saint-Michel and Longueuil metro extensions.

At the same time, I've just noticed L'AMT's promotional webpage on about a dozen weekend excursion trains that supposedly ran last year, such as the apple train, the wine one, and another one to Exporail being the train museum on the South Shore -- what kind of business is L'AMT really pursuing?!? L'AMT needs to break away from the N American kitsch(?) cycle, it really does.....

Laval's metro extension is still under construction.

Cheers,
Chris
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:59 PM   #25
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

That's a cool pic, with the middle of the upper deck open. But couldn't they fit in more seating if they didn't have that? Just a thought.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #26
mr_storms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_nick
^ IMO there are three major reasons, one is that most NA commuter rail systems don't own their tracks, but rather, they're owned by freight railroads. This requires the freight railroads to approve of any improvements made to the track. Needless to say, they're not too fond of any improvements that brings increased passenger service to their tracks. The most electrified systems in NA, the New York area systems and SEPTA, own all or most of their own tracks.

The second reason is politics, highways get most of the funding in this country and transit gets very little.

The third is that most NA commtuer rail systems have very low ridership, many are peak only operations with a few trains to the city in the morning and a few out of the city in the evening. Obviously these kinds of operations have little incentive to electrify. But the larger systems, like Chicago's Metra, Boston's MBTA, and Caltrain (not so large, but with a high ridership / route mile), have the ridership to justify electrifying, but with the possible exception of Caltrain, very little political will-power to electrify.

Caltrain Tracks on the Peninsula are dedicated for passenger service, however, they share with freight starting at around Santa Clara
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #27
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

some pics of the new caltrain "bullet" trains (which are no faster than the regular train):

and the way it will look when shrimp learn to whistle:

mrsmartman liked this post
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #28
mr_storms

Ridership growth tops national list

Edward Carpenter
The San Francisco Examiner
April 6, 2006

San Carlos, Calif. - The popularity of Caltrain’s Baby Bullet service helped earn the agency the largest ridership increase of any commuter rail system in the nation last year, according to a report released Wednesday.
With an average daily ridership of about 31,000, Caltrain experienced a 12.5 percent growth in ridership in 2005, according to the American Public Transportation Association. Caltrain’s closest competitor was Northern Indiana Commuter Transit District in Chesterton, Ind., which saw a 7.3 percent increase.

While pleased, Caltrain officials weren’t surprised by the announcement and attributed the high ridership numbers to the conversion from a local model, with 76 trains stopping at every stop, to a commuter model, with 96 trains including 22 Baby Bullets.
“For nearly 100 years, every train stopped at every station all the time, which was very nice but very slow,” Caltrain spokesman Jonah Weinberg said. “Now, riders can use Caltrain as an alternative to driving.”

Philip Levis, a Stanford professor of computer science who regularly rides the Baby Bullet to work from The City, said taking Caltrain saves him time compared with those who drive.

“I recommend Caltrain to new job candidates,” some from out of the area, who are surprised a train can make it from San Francisco to Palo Alto in about 32 minutes, Levis said.

Caltrain’s sister bus agency, the San Mateo County Transit District, didn’t fare as well. Overall bus ridership dropped by a little less than 1 percent, according to the APTA report.

“Buses just don’t hold the attraction that trains do,” Weinberg said. “They’re slower, aren’t as sexy and, unlike trains, are subject to congestion and stoplights.”

Bus ridership in The City also lost ground, while BART enjoyed a 2.9 percent increase, the report shows.

Nationwide, transit use ballooned 25.1 percent from 1995 to 2005, besting highway use, which grew by 22.5 percent, said Virginia Miller, spokeswoman for APTA. The largest recorded increase of transit use came between 1972 and 1980, when ridership jumped 25.2 percent, Miller said.

“The ridership growth over the past 10 years demonstrates that Americans want transportation choices and will often leave their cars behind when quality public transit services are available,” APTA President William Millar said in a prepared statement.

Aside from reducing driving stress and allowing riders to enjoy reading or napping, transit is probably the single quickest way for most Americans to help the environment and reduce the country’s dependence on oil, as pointed out recently by President George W. Bush, Miller said.
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #29
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

i just realized this, one of the greatest passenger-comfort-enhancing addtions Caltrain could add is fully-weather-protected stations. so when it rains or snows, people dont have to stand around worrying about getting wet. they would just wait for their train under a nice enclosing roof. the pillars oculd be placed in between the tracks, and go above the height of the trains, then gradually come gown until it is aligned with the station building itself.
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #30
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA | Commuter Rail

This thread is for the various Commuter rail & Inter-city Commuter rail services in the San Francisco bay area... Caltrain , Altamont Corridor Express , Capitol Corridor & Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit

Caltrain

Quote:
System Size : 77.4 mi (124.6 km)
Stations : 32 , 1 Planned , 5 Proposed
Number of lines : 1
Began operation : October 26, 1992
Top Speed : 79 mph (127 km/h)
Daily Ridership : 62,700 (Q3 2015)
Electrification : Planned , 25 kV AC at 60 Hz
Fleet Size : 29 locomotives , 118 passenger cars
Map

Source : https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...m_caltrain.png

Altamont Corridor Express

Quote:
System Size : 86 mi (138 km)
Stations : 10
Began operation : 1998
Top Speed : 79 mph (127 km/h)
Daily Ridership : 3,700 (Q3 2015)
Electrification : None
Fleet Size : 6 locomotives , 25 passenger cars
Map

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ACE_map_2.png

Capitol Corridor

Quote:
System Size : 168 miles (270 km)
Stops : 17
Type : Regional - Intercity
Average Journey Time : 3 hours 15 minutes
Began operation : December 12, 1991
Daily Ridership : 4,899 (Q3 2015)
Map

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...l_Corridor.svg

Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit

Quote:
System Size : 70 mi (110 km) , Initial segment: 43 mi (69 km)
Stations : 14 , Initial segment: 10
Began operation : 2016 or 2017
Top Speed : 80 mph (127 km/h)
Map

San Joaquin

Quote:
System Size : 315 miles (507 km) (Oakland) , 282 miles (454 km) (Sacramento)
Stops : 13 (Bakersfield–Oakland) , 10 (Bakersfield–Sacramento)
Type : Regional - Intercity
Average Journey Time : 6 hours, 8 minutes (Oakland) , 5 hours, 15 minutes (Sacramento)
Began operation : March 5, 1974
Daily Ridership : 5,300 (Q3 2015)
Map

Source :
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, mrsmartman, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; February 10th, 2016 at 09:38 PM.
Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #31
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

That's a good idea of this thread, but it should be covered other Amtrak rail services in Northern California. So this thread will be called NORTHERN CALIFORNIA | Commuter Rail

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:09 PM   #32
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Caltrain Photos & Videos

Crowd Flow at Caltrain 22nd Street
by Brian Tobin, on Flickr

Caltrain Tracks at Night
by Brian Tobin, on Flickr

Caltrain Engines Heading South
by rosemarie_mckeon, on Flickr

CALTRAIN--IB train at Bayshore Station
by Peter Ehrlich, on Flickr

Aerial view of the San Francisco Caltrain Station, San Francisco, California
by Michael Rymer, on Flickr

dimlys1994, mrsmartman, 8166UY, geometarkv liked this post
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #33
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
That's a good idea of this thread, but it should be covered other Amtrak rail services in Northern California. So this thread will be called NORTHERN CALIFORNIA | Commuter Rail
Indeed , considering the other lines are lumped in as commuter rail rather then Intercity.
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #34
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Altamont Corridor Express Photos & Videos

ACEX #3105 (EMD F40PH-3C) in San Jose, CA
by CaliforniaRailfan101 Photography, on Flickr

Climbin&#x27; Over the Altamont Pass
by Dom Blevins, on Flickr

Altamont Corridor Express
by ottercove3, on Flickr

ACE Train #08 in Alviso
by Dom Blevins, on Flickr

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:25 PM   #35
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Capitol Corridor Photos & Videos

Capitol Corridor Approaching Benicia
by Jake Miille, on Flickr

Capitol Corridor-IMG_8875-001
by Eric Rosenberg, on Flickr

AUG 15-2014 A westbound Amtrak California Capitol Corridor train, engine no. 2002, passes under the Al Zampa-Carquinez Bridges in Crockett CA, USA T3i 662
by lonewolfpics, on Flickr

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #36
Nexis
Dark Wolf

San Joaquin Photos & videos

Amtrak
by Michael V Greenspun, on Flickr

Merced, California
by jim61773, on Flickr

Sac Valley Station
by Carlos Eliason, on Flickr

dimlys1994, mrsmartman, zaphod liked this post
Old February 11th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #37
dimlys1994

Sacramento Valley station for Amtrak:

Sac Valley Station by Carlos Eliason, on Flickr

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

mrsmartman liked this post
Old February 11th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #38
dimlys1994

From Global Rail News:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2016/0...funding-boost/

Caltrain electrification receives funding boost
11 FEB, 2016

President Obama has included $125 million in the 2017 federal budget to move forward with the planned electrification of the Caltrain commuter railway in California.

The Peninsula Corridor Electrification Project (PCEP) will electrify the line between San Francisco and San Jose, replacing the majority of the existing diesel fleet with new electric trains.

The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) has estimated the total project cost at $1.76 billion, including the infrastructure works and the procurement of 96 new electric multiple units (EMUs)

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old February 11th, 2016, 09:22 PM   #39
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Global Rail News:
Would be nice for Caltrain to get some slick Euro style trains that can accelerate more quickly with more open interiors, big windows, etc.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; February 11th, 2016 at 09:28 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 01:12 AM   #40
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Would be nice for Caltrain to get some slick Euro style trains that can accelerate more quickly with more open interiors, big windows, etc.
I think that's the direction they want to move in.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, amtrak, caltrain, commuter rail, san francisco bay area