daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #101
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post

Why is this considered a light rail line? It looks like a heavy rail metro to me.
Because it is operated by the Light Rail Transit Authority. But Line-2 is considered heavy rail. Even the Line-1 3Gs aren't considered light rail.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #102
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Because it is operated by the Light Rail Transit Authority. But Line-2 is considered heavy rail. Even the Line-1 3Gs aren't considered light rail.
Is there a reason as to why the "LRT" and "MRT" are operated by different authorities?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #103
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Is there a reason as to why the "LRT" and "MRT" are operated by different authorities?
From what I know, the LRT is government runned while MRT is a B-T-O company. Honestly, I find the MRT system poorly organized.

Old February 17th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #104
sterlinglush

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
From what I know, the LRT is government runned while MRT is a B-T-O company. Honestly, I find the MRT system poorly organized.
This sounds right. The BTO trend in SE Asia has really not worked out very well. I haven't been to Manila yet (just Cebu, and liked it a lot) but if its urban rail network is as disjointed as the ones in Bangkok and KL, what a mess! These ought to be used as examples in right-leaning economics programs to illustrate the fact that private industry is not the solution to every social need. Look at the lousy connections between the KL Monorail and the LRT lines, or between the Skytrain and MRT in Bangkok. Ridiculous. The major Japanese and Korean cities have fared a bit better letting multiple companies build and operate different portions of their rail networks but there seems to be a mandate that the customer should be able to enjoy a seamless transit experience. When and if the Cebu and Davao rail systems are finally built, I hope the appropriate lessons will be learned.
sterlinglush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #105
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinglush View Post
This sounds right. The BTO trend in SE Asia has really not worked out very well. I haven't been to Manila yet (just Cebu, and liked it a lot) but if its urban rail network is as disjointed as the ones in Bangkok and KL, what a mess! These ought to be used as examples in right-leaning economics programs to illustrate the fact that private industry is not the solution to every social need. Look at the lousy connections between the KL Monorail and the LRT lines, or between the Skytrain and MRT in Bangkok. Ridiculous. The major Japanese and Korean cities have fared a bit better letting multiple companies build and operate different portions of their rail networks but there seems to be a mandate that the customer should be able to enjoy a seamless transit experience. When and if the Cebu and Davao rail systems are finally built, I hope the appropriate lessons will be learned.
Some flaws I saw in the MRT (Line 3)

- The use of a 3 car light-rail vehicles plying a major thoroughfare. In fact its 3 trams connected together. As a result, overcrowding happens. The authority should have used heavy rail vehicles such as Line 2 or replace the current line with the 3G trains currently plying on Line-1

- Having ticket booths instead of ticketing machines with at least 4 at every station. As a result, it takes 30 minutes or more to line up and buy a ticket. There are not ticketing machines at some station but there in a poor location and to not accept P10 coins. The authority should get rid of the booths and replace them with several ticketing machines.

It is not effective for light rail lines to run on the city centre of one of the largest and densest cities in the world.

Last edited by Manila-X; February 17th, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #106
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
... Look at the lousy connections between the KL Monorail and the LRT lines, or between the Skytrain and MRT in Bangkok. Ridiculous...
Totally agree! Or Putra and Star lines - i couldnt believe it when i was there: u have to leave one system cross the street and enter the next system (i.e. Masjid Jamek stn.)!
Bangkok the same, and all lines stop right before the most wanted destinations, u can go from suburb to.. another suburb, but to the city center u have to change for a bus or tuk-tuk.

Quote:
Some flaws I saw in the MRT (Line 3)

- The use of a 3 car light-rail vehicles plying a major thoroughfare. In fact its 3 trams connected together. As a result, overcrowding happens. The authority should have used heavy rail vehicles such as Line 2 or replace the current line with the 3G trains currently plying on Line-1

- Having ticket booths instead of ticketing machines with at least 4 at every station. As a result, it takes 30 minutes or more to line up and buy a ticket. There are not ticketing machines at some station but there in a poor location and to not accept P10 coins. The authority should get rid of the booths and replace them with several ticketing machines.

It is not effective for light rail lines to run on the city centre of one of the largest and densest cities in the world.
Again - u r right in 100%. I took it from Baclaran to the centre, so short trains for so many passangers! + it would be cool to connect airport with the system. I hope they will make it! Sana they'll build other lines too

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #107
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Totally agree! Or Putra and Star lines - i couldnt believe it when i was there: u have to leave one system cross the street and enter the next system (i.e. Masjid Jamek stn.)!
Bangkok the same, and all lines stop right before the most wanted destinations, u can go from suburb to.. another suburb, but to the city center u have to change for a bus or tuk-tuk.

Again - u r right in 100%. I took it from Baclaran to the centre, so short trains for so many passangers! + it would be cool to connect airport with the system. I hope they will make it! Sana they'll build other lines too
Yes the trains are too short, they are trams. Again is the perfect example of poor planning. The result is this

As for the airport, they will move it to Clark sometime in the future.

Old February 18th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #108
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 188

the thing is...the government is planning to takeover the rail line--and i think that's a good step... but then they will privatize it again...
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM   #109
keLmikez
Safe, fast, reliable.

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
very poorly organized
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #110
keLmikez
Safe, fast, reliable.

Quote:
B-O-T Build Operate Transfer
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #111
pTaMo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTprime View Post
I thought they decided to finally push through with this already...and then this comes

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquire...ayors-concerns

MRT7 shelved in meantime over Metro mayors’ concerns
By Tina Santos
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 23:02:00 08/07/2010

Filed Under: Infrastructure, Railway, Government
A DECISION on the proposed Metro Rail Transit 7, envisaged to run from Quezon City to Bulacan, has been deferred by the Regional Development Council-National Capital Region (RDC-NCR) after some Metro Manila mayors raised concerns about the project.

During the RDC-NCR organizational meeting held at the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) office in Makati City on Friday, the MRT7 project was referred to the council’s committee on infrastructure development and social development for review and a more thorough discussion.

The move came after Valenzuela City Mayor Sherwin Gatchalian and Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista asked the project proponent to allow the local government units (LGUs) to have a say in the project, particularly the location of terminals in their cities.

According to Mario Miranda, a consultant of Universal LRT Corp. Ltd., the firm that holds the contract to build the train line, they need the RDC-NCR clearance before construction can start.

“We need to get that RDC clearance because we have to show that to the banks and to the lenders and be able to say that here are LGUs all saying the same tune (sic), that this project is a go,” Miranda told reporters.

He added that the proponent was given 18 months by the government to complete financial closure or provide proof that money was at hand before it could start construction.

Miranda added that deferment of the project approval would result in its delay.

“But we will still hang on as long as we can. We submitted our proposal in 2001 and until now we haven’t gotten the government’s approval yet. I’ve spent so many years working in the government; one virtue I learned is patience. Just be patient,” he said.

The $1.2-billion MRT7 project seeks to build a combined 45-kilometer of road and rail line from the Bocaue exit of the North Luzon Expressway (NLEx) to the MRT3 at North Avenue-Edsa.
What a loser!
pTaMo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #112
kzpspxm

Sana naman pagpahingahin na ng LRTA ang 1g trains. Grabe na ang problema dito. Araw araw may 1g train na bumabalik sa depot dahil may sira. Sana ibalik na nila yung 2g trains para mapakinabangan. Sayang yung pondo na ginamit para mabili yung 2g trains di rin mapapakinabangan!
kzpspxm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #113
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 59

Reminder: please use English in the international forums. Thanks.

I do see the second-generation trains be used, though not on a basis as often as that of the first or third-generation trains. However, the first-generation trains are the most numerous, so the LRTA has to make do with what they have.
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #114
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
I'm the afraid the lesson is not easy to learn: the same mistake had been done 80 years ago in NYC: several companies were challenging (IRT, BMT, IND) and the result is just like in KL: different loading gauge and poor connections between lines.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #115
kzpspxm

Tine-test run pa rin ba ang 2G trains or inalis ulit ito?
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #116
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 59

Argh. Please use English in the international forums.

Anyway, the 2G trains are still being used.
Old August 21st, 2010, 06:57 AM   #117
keLmikez
Safe, fast, reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzpspxm View Post

Tine-test run pa rin ba ang 2G trains or inalis ulit ito?
2Gs operate in the morning (7-9), afternoon (2-4) and evening (6-7)

image hosted on flickr
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:30 AM   #118
kzpspxm

Thanks kuya kel. Kaya pala di ko naaabutan ang 2g kasi :
1) 6 am ang alis ko to school
2) 5 pm ang uwi ko (advanced ng 1 hour bago ulit gamitin ang 2g)
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:51 AM   #119
kzpspxm

Sinisimulan na po ba ang North Avenue Station sa LRT NEP?
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:45 PM   #120
keLmikez
Safe, fast, reliable.

wala pang bakas ng Grand Central Terminal ..yung roosevelt ay hindi pa rin inoopen

Tags
manila