daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2016, 10:16 PM   #1
Carpenter01

Likes (Received): 4

Biggest construction boom in human history ?

Hi gang,
I'm new to the site. The content here looks amazing. I've read pieces online that say we are living through the biggest global construction boom in human history. I live on a small island on the Atlantic Ocean so I don't get to see a whole lot of it.

I'm just wondering if you believe this is true?
How much infrastructure / structures have humans built? I'm just looking for confirmation because I love the thought of humanity building and building and building, further developing the planet.

Thank you all for your time

Seoul_Korea, Taller, Better liked this post
Carpenter01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #2
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8360

this thread belongs into this subsection: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3252

nevertheless, I believe in terms of skyscrapers this is true of course as we have more had the most 200m+, 300m+ etc finished in recent years. Also six years ago the first building over 600m finished and now we get to look forward to a new one basically each year. This boom will also not really stop i believe. While it is likely to slow down in china, when most big cities have their icons and landmark towers done, there are still a lot of cities in india and all around the world that have cities very large that are likely to support huge projects with an initial investment. More over the amount of residential blocks should increase for the same reasons with even larger numbers.

Zaz965, TowerVerre:) liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #3
Carpenter01

Sorry about posting in the wrong section. I appreciate your post.

It makes sense man. There are massive infrastructure booms occurring in India and the continent of Africa that will more than pick up the slack of the "slow down" in China
Old February 15th, 2016, 01:56 AM   #4
Speechless.♥

Likes (Received): 632

China has much more supertalls U/C than rest of the world. And this is true for rather a long time.
But China has also the same number of skyscrapers as the rest of the world.
Speechless.♥ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:20 AM   #5
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

China now probably, but if you're referring to a specific city maybe NYC?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:22 AM   #6
Augustão d2

Likes (Received): 526

Shenzhen?
Augustão d2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 03:26 AM   #7
ilovecoffee

Likes (Received): 25

i read an article on something like this on the citylab.com last year; 70% of the worlds population will live in cities by 2050. And by 2100 the current city population will triple, Hence the 21st century is termed the "urban century" because all the construction that will go on it will esclipe all the construction ever done, at-least doubling what currently exist now in terms infrastucture and city areas. Im also really excited for this to.

p.s., i dont think chinas construction boom is going to slow down anytime soon, at-least not till after 2025. Currently the urban population resides at 55% and china is keen on getting that to atleast 70% by that time.

Last edited by ilovecoffee; February 15th, 2016 at 03:46 AM.
ilovecoffee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:07 AM   #8
Carpenter01

Biggest construction boom in human history ?

Incredible stats I lovecoffee

I often wonder like how much has humanity already built? Is it massive already? I mean I've seen pics and videos of global cities, I've spent time in Montreal, Calgary and Edmonton . However, how huge are things globally? It's hard to put anything really in perspective? Can anyone help with an explanation

Globally how
Much infrastructure and buildings etc are there?
Is it mind blowing (like I imagine) or not?
Old February 15th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #9
Carpenter01

Anyone have any insight on my last post?
Thanks
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #10
ilovecoffee

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter01 View Post
Anyone have any insight on my last post?
Thanks
to get an idea of whats "there" i would download google-earth and look at different cities. Most of the construction will be taking place in what has been termed the global south: africa, pakistan, oceania, asia and so on. Also to put it in "perspective", most of the worlds largest cities are in asia. The canadian cities you mentioned probably range within the 1-5 million population whereas cities like seoul, jakarta, and manila all have over 25 million people. On a larger scale canton China has recently been integrated into one large metro of 50 million and other metros such as deli, although lacking in infrastructure are home to something like 40 million.

This website is a really good resource for getting your 'feet-wet' and understanding whats going on around the world. Look into different projects going on and get an idea of the trends that are occurring.

Last edited by ilovecoffee; February 15th, 2016 at 07:11 PM.
ilovecoffee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:39 AM   #11
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3426

Quote:
Incredible stats I lovecoffee

I often wonder like how much has humanity already built? Is it massive already? . However, how huge are things globally? It's hard to put anything really in perspective? Can anyone help with an explanation

Globally how
Much infrastructure and buildings etc are there?
Is it mind blowing (like I imagine) or not?
It is,globally 2-3% of the total land area in the world belongs to a urban area administratively,total area that is built on is "just" 0.65% of world area(comparable in area to Texas,Pakistan or Turkey)
In Asia a full 0.9% of the total area is built up but this percentage will probably grow fast in the next few decades when China,Southeast asia and the Indian subcontinent urbanize further and their cities sprawl outwards.
If we disregard central,west and north asia aswell as the empty western part of China which in total hold only 500million people out of Asias total population of 4.5 billion we get 4 billion people in an area of around 14.5million sq km,a good 90% of asia lives on only a third of the area,if 90% lives there roughly 90% of the built up area should be there too or roughly 360 000 sq km(0.9*44.6million sq km or asias total area). 360 000 sq km/14.5million sq km is roughly 2.5%. 2.5% of land area in the more populated parts of Asia is built on and a doubling to 5% this century is not unfeasible with increasing suburbanization and sprawl,land that falls under urban administration would be almost 10% of the total land area in the populated parts of Asia if it followed the same pattern of built up area to urban administrative area(roughly 4 times in asia).

http://leml.asu.edu/jingle/Wu-Public...ban%20land.pdf

Carpenter01 liked this post
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 02:18 AM   #12
Carpenter01

Wow,
Great info. I appreciate your post. Seems really anti climatic. Figured humans would have built a lot more. I guess it's a small world after all (groan)

Or maybe it's that the land surface is huge and actually having built on nearly 1% is actually quite impressive
Old February 16th, 2016, 02:19 AM   #13
Carpenter01

I lovecoffee
Good call on the google earth. I'll check it out
Thanks!
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:10 PM   #14
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8360

You can always use google and tencent streetview to travel around cities virtually as well to get a sense of a city you are interested in.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #15
agoragk
BANNED

agoragk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #16
Carpenter01

I've been doing a lot of research, using a lot of the tools you fine folks have recommended. It really is incredible to see what humans have built! Incredible really! Especially in the last 30 years!!!
Old February 19th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #17
KavirajG
Global Trekker

Likes (Received): 1820

Quote:
I've been doing a lot of research, using a lot of the tools you fine folks have recommended. It really is incredible to see what humans have built! Incredible really! Especially in the last 30 years!!!
Yeah, and it's not over yet...the population growth will be tremendous in some places like India, which is experiencing high economic growth but is yet to embark on a large scale urbanization program.

Same for China where millions more will migrate to cities and also much of Africa.
KavirajG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #18
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6415

I think 2007 in the run up to the Beijing Olympics was one of the biggies - both Shanghai and Beijing built more highrise space in that year than all
the office space in Manhattan, and housing up to 3000 newcomers every day.

the speed of change in Shanghai:

2009-2015

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by the spliff fairy; February 20th, 2016 at 10:47 AM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #19
Carpenter01

Those pics of Shanghi are incredible!!!
I've been reading a lot about the international investments Chinise companies are doing as well. The build up for their "New Silk Road" trade route is staggering as well
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #20
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3426

Shenzhen didnt really exist until the early eighties,now it has 15 million people and counting and the most 200m+ skyscrapers of any city in China and soon the world.
Shenzhen ca 1980

roughly the same angle today:
By bobzql

Shenzhen ca 1980

roughly the same angle today:
originally posted on gaoloumi by 深南向上

the spliff fairy, Carpenter01 liked this post

Last edited by lowenmeister; February 24th, 2016 at 05:59 PM.
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote