daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #41
Slinderman

Likes (Received): 400

Palmyra before&after I hope they are happy .

ChuckScraperMiami#1, hercre liked this post
Slinderman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:14 PM   #42
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9777

It's so sad.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:52 AM   #43
Slinderman

Obama trip to Petra

Last edited by Slinderman; June 11th, 2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old April 24th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #44
kupolamánia

Likes (Received): 244

Petra is so beautiful

Alexsal liked this post
kupolamánia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #45
Alexsal

Likes (Received): 898

Brilliant thread. Amazing history and architecture. ESP the early Yemenese ones I had never come across. I love the architecture of Yemen but I had only known the urban style of Sanaa. I wish you had given a little more detail though. I tried to look for the fire temples on this page but didn't manage sadly.

The argument over Berbers and Arabs is really pedantic I must say. Who cares, its hardly that exact to tell now who is correct anyway.

It's an absolute tragedy to see so much destroyed in Syria. I am actually happy so much survived in Palmyra, I was thinking it would be totally gone. Is Yemen faring any better. I have heard some of Saana has been damaged but I think TV had more access in Vietnam than anything these days. I hope the damage is minimal and can be rebuilt to some extent.

Fantastic thread by the way and I love all the pre-Islamic ones that hardly ever get a mention but go back centuries before Rome even. Thanks.

Domen123 liked this post
Alexsal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 12:11 AM   #46
Alexsal

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genbank View Post
Not at all. It was roman architecture with an islamic influence.
Never heard of that so called Ziryab.

On the other hand all the middle east didn't invent much of the architecture, fashion, or poetry they were either taken from the greeks, the indians or the chinese.
You know I was with you in a way until the last two statements. You are just denying an 'Arab' influence for the sake of what exactly I am not sure. The difference is moot anyway. But on the point about who influenced who. Roman architecture was taken from Greeks as you put it, the Greek from the Persians, the Persian from Babylonians and Assyrians, and no doubt those were influenced by more ancient Arabian /Yemenis ones before all the way to Egypt. My point is the circular nature of it all puts paid to the notion that they are out of the blue ideas of particular civilisations anyway. You go out of your way to exclude Arabs from any credit at all. It's hardly true and frankly a little objectionable to be honest. I am not an Arab by the way so please don't take it as a tit for tat comment. I don't think you realise what you imply by your efforts here anyway.
Alexsal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #47
Slinderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsal View Post
Brilliant thread. Amazing history and architecture. ESP the early Yemenese ones I had never come across. I love the architecture of Yemen but I had only known the urban style of Sanaa. I wish you had given a little more detail though. I tried to look for the fire temples on this page but didn't manage sadly.
What Fire temple ? You Mean The first one ? , it called by locals Balqees Throne( Biblical Myth Sheba) which is Not Accurate but rather built for The Moon God (Almaqah) i Hope This help ,
scroll Dawn to Throne of balquis(Bar'an Temple)

Alexsal liked this post
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:47 AM   #48
Slinderman

Petra , Nabataean Temple ( Nabataean Civilization lasted from 400 B.C. - 106 A.D. )

Also , small Nabataean temple

Last edited by Slinderman; September 16th, 2016 at 04:12 AM.
Old May 28th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #49
Slinderman

AD Deir is truly a Nabataean masterpiece Built in the 1st century and measuring 50 meters wide by approximately 45 meters high

Old photo of AD Deir

adymartianul liked this post

Last edited by Slinderman; June 11th, 2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #50
Slinderman

Underground Tomb

reconstruction of the temple of bel mix between Greece - Roman and Semitic ( Assyrian ) Architecture

AbidM, franciscoc, hercre, Bottle, adymartianul liked this post

Last edited by Slinderman; June 11th, 2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:11 PM   #51
Slinderman

Kingdom of Araba

The city wall was supported by more than 160 Towers

inscription dated to year AD 137/138 reports the building of the city wall and city gate by Nashru, the king of Araba .

Allat temple

Last edited by Slinderman; June 11th, 2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:24 AM   #52
Slinderman

3/4 days ago they discovered "Massive" monument in ancient Petra .

overhead image of the new monument at Petra photographed from a drone, and a detail overlay of the surface features in which the image is rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

(CNN)The ancient city of Petra may be one of the world's best-known archaeological sites, but it still has secrets to reveal.

A massive "monumental platform" has been discovered within the Petra UNESCO World Heritage Site in what is now part of southern Jordan.
Archaeologists Sarah Parcak, a National Geographic fellow, and Christopher Tuttle, executive director of the Council of American Overseas Research Centers, used satellite imagery, drones and ground surveys to find the structure and document its location.
Their study, which was published in a recent "Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research," was first reported by National Geographic.
The newly discovered platform, which measures about 56 x 49 meters, appears to be a unique feature that has "no parallels at Petra or in its hinterlands at present," according to the study.
"When National Geographic fellow Sarah Parcak shared the results of her latest research with us, we knew it would pique global interest given the historic significance of this treasured site," said Kristin Romey, archaeology writer for National Geographic.
"It's really a remarkable find for the archaeological community," she said.
The world's first-ever UNESCO sites
Some half a million tourists already visit the ancient city and its surroundings, and thousands of monuments and structures have already been documented within the city center.

A smaller platform measuring about 46 × 44 meters was constructed within the larger platform, with one side of the smaller platform fronted by a row of columns.
"The row of columns crowned a monumental stairway that spanned the entire width of the smaller platform, " according to the study.
The city center is part of Jordan's Petra Archaeological Park, which covers 264,000 square meters within Wadi Musa in Jordan.

Source
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/09/tr...ent-discovery/

--

Very interesting let's wait and see
Old June 18th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #53
D K

Likes (Received): 2630

Lets hope all these jewels will be protected.
@KWT: i really appreciate your valuable posts for many years, but what you said about North Africa is not true. There are plenty of moorish monuments and buildings throughout NA. Actually most of moorish buildings and monuments in Spain bear a strong "moroccan" influence (ie. Alhambra). The Umeyad / oriental style can be found in monuments like The great mosque of Córdoba.
D K está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #54
KWT

Likes (Received): 3391

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Lets hope all these jewels will be protected.
@KWT: i really appreciate your valuable posts for many years, but what you said about North Africa is not true. There are plenty of moorish monuments and buildings throughout NA. Actually most of moorish buildings and monuments in Spain bear a strong "moroccan" influence (ie. Alhambra). The Umeyad / oriental style can be found in monuments like The great mosque of Córdoba.
Thanks, but what I meant was that there was no such thing as "Moorish" architecture before the Arab conquest. At least the type of architecture we associate with N. Africa and Southern Spain in places like Fez, Cordoba, Sevilla, Meknes, etc. did not exist before Islam. Before the Arab conquest there was Roman, Byzantine, and some Amazigh vernacular architecture in North Africa, and some Roman, Visigothic and Romanesque architecture in the Iberian peninsula.
KWT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 04:35 AM   #55
Domen123
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2465

Really great buildings. But most of them are ruins now.

Do we know why and when were they abandoned ???

I'm asking especially about those in Arabia itself.
Domen123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 05:44 AM   #56
Slinderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domen123 View Post
Really great buildings. But most of them are ruins now.

Do we know why and when were they abandoned ???

I'm asking especially about those in Arabia itself.
in the first page the castle in Yemen/Marib was maintained in the medieval time

Other pagan temples in Arabia were fully abounded after Islam thank god Muhammad followers didn't destroy it

Old photo of the first temple in my thread
Old July 24th, 2016, 04:43 AM   #57
Slinderman

Speaking about the abandonment of pre-Islamic structures in this case "destruction" is better term there was once a palace called Ghamdan palace in Yemen it was the central government palace for the Yemeni kingdom

the second caliph of Islam Omar ibn Al-khattab said " The Arabs would not be straight nation if Ghamdan ( Ghamdan are Family/Clan ) are one of us"
then the third caliph Uthman ibn Affan ordered the destruction of the palace for many reasons and one of them was because of the saying of Omar.

KWT liked this post

Last edited by Slinderman; July 31st, 2016 at 03:14 PM.