SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Verve-a 30ish storey condo by Tridel for downtown Toronto

5K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  Skybean 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Isn't this the 43 storey condo for the new Wellesley Hospital development site?

It's actually more like Sherbourne, but I can see why they would want to make it seem not connected with that area.

Excellent web site...don't know about the building though...they talk about being hip, unique, "never done before"...but it looks like your basic Tridel building to me...not crap...but hardly the tour de force they are advertising.

KGB

#4 ·
Could it be 40 ish stories?
Sort of 1BE ish, in a way.

#13 ·
I think St. Jamestown is no where near as bad as the rep a lot of people seem to think it has. I find it not to be all THAT unsafe, and with its close proximity to the downtown core, it will eventually mature to a safer place to live, compared to how it is now. People think its oh so scarry, but has anyone actually lived there? I haven't but I do feel sceptical about some of the thoughts that it is soo bad to live there, and I think tridel might recognize this too. (hope) Anyway, compared to virtually any American city neighbourhood that is sub par, Jamestown is a world above. I lived in Brooklyn in Sheepshead Bay, and we took trains around certain areas to avoid them even if it took a lot longer to do so. Jamestown I certainly would not feel concerned about entering. It's like new Harlem in New York, which is not as bad as people think safety wise.

thanks,

Karizma

#14 ·
St Jamestown is not a very dangerous area at all...there were quite a few problems "inside" some of the buildings a while back, but I don't know about now....just walking around there doesn't seem out of the ordinary. But you have to take into consideration that this is an area of only 32 acres, and has a population over 15,000 low-income people....with that many people, you have to expect some crime.

KGB

#15 ·
If St Jamestown is safe, why do cab drivers refuse to go there or drop you off there after midnight? So if you buy at the Verve, and you don't have a car and it is past midnight and the TTC has stop running, you better have a plan to get home.

This would not be very attractive to single women who makes a large proportion of buyers of condos.

#16 ·
"why do cab drivers refuse to go there or drop you off there after midnight? "

I just don't believe you

"This would not be very attractive to single women who makes a large proportion of buyers of condos."

Single women tend to gravitate towards freehold and lowrise condominiums (townhomes, etc.)

#19 ·
Well, it just wouldn't make any sense...it's not like Sherbourne St or Parliament has any street crime....pulling up to the buildings themselves is no different. It's not like somebody is going to run out while someone is getting in or out of a cab and rob you.

Cabbies will sometimes not stop to pick up certain people on the street they might find "iffy", but refuse to go to an address because they think it would be too dangerous???? Never heard of it.

KGB

#20 ·
i've only had that experience once... i was with my friend in washington and the cabbie dropped us off a couple blocks away from the neighbourhood... washington has neighbourhoods much grittier and more dangerous in toronto though.... i don't believe the bit about the cabbie not dropping someone off in st.jamestown

#22 ·
The question here is not whether or not you feel safe walking through the area - heck, I do my grocery shopping there - the question is would you be willing to fork over $250K for a condo next to St. Jamestown when there are other options all over the city? It's not like we're in the middle of a housing crisis! Considering that shovels don't usually hit the dirt until 70% of the units are sold, and considering the impressions of the surrounding city blocks, I'm not optimistic about Verve.

Perhaps if there was a deep discount? "Downtown, luxury living, for less!"

That might sell.

#24 ·
Tridel has a long history of successfully buying what most would consider to be "B" locations nad then marketing them and selling them.

I too don't think it's a great location, but these are the typical types of locations Tridel goes after and they often have great success with these types of locations.

#26 ·
I think people buy Tridel condos not for how the exterior of the buildings (just look at the crappy buildings that they built in Scarborough) but for their history of building for 70 years and for the interior quality.
This building is alright but nothing special just a precast tower with a cylindrical? top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.