daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2016, 08:04 PM   #21
JohnVanSmith

Likes (Received): 742

Such a sad news

This was her project that was never built in Belgrade, Serbia but i hope that some day it will.

Zaz965 liked this post
JohnVanSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2016, 09:51 PM   #22
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 25991

I hope some day it will be built

djole13, JohnVanSmith liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 10:02 PM   #23
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28161

A great loss. She will be remembered for her monumental architecture. RIP.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 02:37 AM   #24
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

Can't believe it! What a loss; such a bold architect, she will be well-remembered.

Her Dongdaemun Design Plaza in Seoul:

Zaz965 liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 03:17 AM   #25
t2contra

Likes (Received): 29

She did Iraq proud, especially so as a woman.

Zaz965, aquaticko liked this post
t2contra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 03:23 AM   #26
Zaz965
Temer Out!

I think many iraquian people don't know her

djole13 liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2016, 12:26 PM   #27
UnHavrais
Normandie

Likes (Received): 9596

Archives Départementales - Montpellier (France)

Fluctuat nec mergitur

- C'est une très méchante manière de raisonner que de rejeter ce que l'on ne peut comprendre - Tintin .

LE HAVRE - News Urbaines & Architecturales

Le Havre, Normandy, France

Normandy, a region between two countries

LE HAVRE | Projects & Construction
UnHavrais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 02:11 PM   #28
IThomas

Rest in peace, Zaha. You will continue to live in the shade of your works.

Every time I will look at your buildings, I will remember you as one of the contemporary architects that inspired me: I love architecture and I studied it. As Italian, I'm happy that your futuristic buildings will be near the Etruscan, Roman, Greek, Byzantine, Arab, Romanic, Gothic and the many other architecture styles... for sure, a precious addition to the architecture history of my country.

ITALY

ROME MAXXI - National Museum of the 21st Century Arts
completed

The MAXXI building is located in Rome’s Flaminio quarter and featuring innovative and spectacular forms. MAXXI houses two museums: MAXXI Architecture and MAXXI Art. The programming of the activities – exhibitions, workshops, conferences, shows, projections, educational projects – reflects MAXXI’s vocation as a place for the conservation and exhibition of its collections but also, and above all, a laboratory for cultural experimentation and innovation, for the study, research and production of the aesthetic contents of out time.

Two distinct spirits coexist in the museum, one devoted to the historicizing of the architecture of the 20th Century and the other responding to issues of the present, interpreting the expectations of present day society. MAXXI Arte represents an experimental space that as well as its own collection and exhibition programme proposes an interdisciplinary cultural offering that naturally includes art but also explores theatre, dance, music, fashion, graphics, film and advertising. The museum undertakes research and promotional activities including temporary exhibitions offering visitors ever diverse opportunities for fruition and in-depth examination.

MILAN CityLife - Hadid luxury residences
completed

The 225 luxury apartments, located in CityLife area, provide their inhabitants a daily experience of great beauty, fluidity and lightness. The residences follow the sinuous course of the roofs and balconies, creating a very dynamic and elegant effect that echoes the landscape below.

The gardens follow the flowing lines of the buildings and are moved by paved paths and grassy areas with slight depressions that create pleasant rest areas. The courtyards offer a quiet and safe environment offer striking views over the city and the park.

BOLZANO, PLAN DE CORONES Messner Mountain Museum
completed

The MMM Corones adds a further cultural and educational element to this popular Alpine destination. MMM Corones design is carved within the mountain and informed by the geology and topography of its context. A sharp glass canopy, like a fragment of glacial ice, rises from the rock to mark and protect the museum’s entrance.

A cascading ramp connects the exhibition spaces and creates dynamic volumes of circulation throughout three levels of temporary exhibitions, presentation areas and a small auditorium, enabling the museum to showcase its permanent exhibition together with objects, images and tools from Messner’s archive.

MMM Corones offers 240-degree views across expansive mountain landscapes that include the Zillertal Alps, the Dolomites and the Marmolada glacier. Glazed apertures and viewing balcony are specifi cally oriented to ensure the museum’s interiors are primarily naturally lit while also maintaining the design’s labyrinthine trajectory within the mountain; incorporating and expressing the power of the natural tectonic system it is a part of.

SALERNO Maritime Station
inauguration on next weeks

The new maritime station echoes the oyster -its hard shell enclosing soft, fluid elements within. Key focal points - ticket desks, restaurant, waiting room - steer passengers from ground level to upper deck boarding points. By night the terminal's 'glow' functions almost as a lighthouse for this ancient port city. Café and shops are included in the building.

Last edited by IThomas; April 2nd, 2016 at 02:23 PM.
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 02:11 PM   #29
IThomas

ITALY

MILAN Lo Storto / The Twisted One
(U/C) see thread

The "twisted" tower (185 m) is part of a project which will alter the city skyline. Containing both commercial and office space, with a shopping area which connects to the metro station, Lo Storto / The Twisted One is built alongside the Il Dritto / The Straight One by Arata Isozaki and Il Curvo / The Curved One by Daniel Libeskind. The retail section situated at the bottom of the tower rises and twists to give way to a galleria and promenade. These twisting lines continue up through the tower to form a vertical spiralling vector.

zaha_hadid1 da Via Luciano Berio by Danilo Gallotti

CAGLIARI Nuragic and Contemporary Art Museum
proposed

The new museum for Cagliari serves as a landmark for the city - welcoming visitors from sea, sharing its public dimension with the urban complex through a network of public paths. These paths continue within the building's interior, forming spaces for exhibition, communication and transit.

REGGIO CALABRIA National Museum and Arts Performing Center of Reggio Calabria
proposed

Located on a narrow strait separating Sicily from Italian Peninsula, the new waterfront marks the city of Reggio Calabria as a Mediterranean cultural capital. Drawing inspiration from the radial simmetry of a starfish, the structure housing museum and a performing arts centre, stands as a beacon visible from land and sea.

JESOLO Jesolo Magica
proposed

A luxury shopping mall for Jesolo, a famous seaside resort town near Venice.

FNNG, GonzaIV, Zaz965, Cosaonoivay, artObserver liked this post

Last edited by IThomas; April 7th, 2016 at 09:30 PM.
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 07:29 PM   #30
FNNG

Likes (Received): 2694

Although I never study architecture but I like to see beautiful building. She is one of my favourite architect and all her masterpiece are really unique and ultra modern. Its sad that she leave the world so soon. Rest in piece.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
FNNG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:53 PM   #31
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I think a lot more of the big architects will die in the next few years as well. Norman Foster, Richard Rogers, Frank Gehry, I.M. Pei, Renzo Piano, Moshe Safdie, Jean Nouvel and Richard Meier are all very old. Hopefully they can reach Oscar Niemeyer's age and we can get 20-30 more years of great architecture.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:12 PM   #32
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Sad news. I'm not a fan of her style (costly to build and maintain, and usually garish) but she was a talented architect for sure with a strong vision, and it's always a shame to lose someone like that, and a woman no less, which is a rarity in the upper tiers of the architecture world.

I do love her design for the building along the high-line in New York.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:28 AM   #33
Durise

Likes (Received): 15

Very sad news indeed!
Durise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:20 PM   #34
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5140

I never really completely liked her, in fact I think she's very overrated. However, some of her projects are amazing, specially those in Italy. Great loss definitely, specially considering he was not that old (just 65).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I think a lot more of the big architects will die in the next few years as well. Norman Foster, Richard Rogers, Frank Gehry, I.M. Pei, Renzo Piano, Moshe Safdie, Jean Nouvel and Richard Meier are all very old. Hopefully they can reach Oscar Niemeyer's age and we can get 20-30 more years of great architecture.
Sad indeed. Add Calatrava, Adrian Smith, KPF and Tadao Ando to that list, they are also old. But there is a bright future ahead with other good young architects and firms like Snøhetta, Ryue Nishizawa or Alberto Campo Baeza

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

Zaz965 liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:45 PM   #35
Zaz965
Temer Out!

young architects can be star architects in the next years

djole13 liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:22 PM   #36
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Also Bjarke Ingels, even though I don't like his bigger projects so far, I feel he can improve his style. His recent proposal for Toronto is unlike what he has built so far, and it's just beautiful.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:32 PM   #37
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10735

I only got to experience one of her buildings but it was absolutely brilliant: the Riverside Museum in Glasgow.

RIP.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:41 PM   #38
DiogoBaptista

Likes (Received): 3289

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Don't forget Álvaro Siza Vieira, (age 82), Pritzker Prize (1992), Royal Gold Medal (2009).

Last edited by DiogoBaptista; April 3rd, 2016 at 10:47 PM.
DiogoBaptista no está en línea   Reply With Quote