daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Add a new megatall section
Yes 311 83.83%
No 60 16.17%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 20th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #121
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
500m aren't and will never be considered Megatalls so NO IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE to make them fit just because we will see more threads in a new section! How old are we? 12?
Jeez. You should be able to read, shouldn't you. I said we could give the section another name like "500+" and add a specific megatall section. Reread my proposal, obviously you didn't get it. And don't be all too emotional about this please, some of your posts seem almost foam-mouthed.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #122
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

600+

Also maybe stop using feet as a unit of mesurment ?
GulfArabia no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #123
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
...and don't be all too emotional about this please, some of your posts seem almost foam-mouthed.
Lol that shows the passion and deep feelings about tall buildings! Better this way with a big portion of lifeblood than cold and mellow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
600+

Why? I think this question is absolutely wrong for this thread to discuss.
Ch.W no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2016, 10:07 PM   #124
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

First of all, please stop suggesting to combine the Highrise and Skyscraper Section to one subforum. They're already full of threads, especially the Highrise section. Combining them would be hell of a mess

Anyway, I'd suggest to create a 600m+ section. It's silly to create a 500m+ height limit, just to have more activity and threads in that section, imo. The Megatall height minimum is 600m and it should stay like this.

However, I see the problem with the lack of threads in the Megatall section, but I would like to propose an idea. Since Megatalls are the most exciting and significant projects in this forum, it would be great to add discussion threads to the new section.(Actually similar to the ''Skyscrapers'' section in the World Forums).
We could create threads like ''The future of Megatalls'' where we would discuss about the next possible tallest skyscraper, ''Visionary projects from everywhere, in every time period'' where we could talk about projects like X-Seed 4000, The Illinois, etc. or ''What is your favourite Megatall?'' where we could compare different U/C, proposed or completed projects.

All these aspects that I mentioned above are missing anyway in my opinion. There are no threads for skyscraper visions or general Megatall discussions.

Megatalls are the most significant buildings in this forum and I think that the discussions should be extended beyond the normal, plain threads about the construction of an individual project.

So what do you think?

Shenkey, erbse, Gabriel900 liked this post

Last edited by DubaiM; April 20th, 2016 at 10:13 PM.
DubaiM no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #125
Ch.W

This sounds like a good idea for me in every case we need the 600m megatall section.
And adding those (and other perhaps) discussion threads would be filling the new section with more life. I was never satisfied we had no thread for visionary projects, so we could kill two birds with one stone:-)

Gabriel900 liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2016, 07:27 AM   #126
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

600 Meters for megatalls, close to the 2000 feet usually used to define them.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 está en línea ahora  
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:16 AM   #127
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
600+

But there are so many Americans we may as well keep the feet measurement

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:26 AM   #128
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
Hypertall sounds better than Megatall IMHO.
for 1200m+?

Like the hypercar, it should be the last section
Shenkey no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2016, 03:15 PM   #129
erbse
LIBERTINED

Megatall section open for discussion sounds a bit better, but still not convincing.

Jan told me there will probably be a decision on the matter this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkYsCrApEr2013 View Post
But there are so many Americans we may as well keep the feet measurement
Feet is usually used for American projects and a few other countries that use it more frequently, so I don't see a problem really. Leave it like that with the dual system.

Last edited by erbse; April 21st, 2016 at 04:35 PM.
erbse no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2016, 04:32 PM   #130
erbse
LIBERTINED

Facts before acts.

But seriously, let's look at some facts:

How many "megatalls" 600m+ are there currently in the world?
3. Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Abraj Al-Bait.

How many megatalls are U/C?
4. Jeddah Tower, Suzhou Zhongnan Center, Merdeka KL118, Wuhan Greenland Center.

How many are proposed (more serious proposals)?
Obviously we don't even have a proper list for proposals at SSC (not even here).

The CTBUH lists barely 7 projects as proposed megatalls here. Some of these are dead already and they might have missed a handful, but still.

That makes effectively 11 threads that could currently enter the forum. Even when that number doubles or triples in 5 years with all visions included, that's really just a few.

A section for a handful of threads doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if we add some general discussion topics and overviews there.

I say add a 500+ section and make U/C Megatalls sticky.

z0rg liked this post
erbse no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2016, 04:55 PM   #131
Ch.W

For me this makes no sense
You're right about the amount of supertalls BUT i'm very sure this will increase in the next years. To make a 500m+ section is arbitrary because there is already an excepted definition of megatalls used by CTBUH. Further this definition is consitent to the other definitions of highrise, skyscraper and supertall.
To create a new not official definition only to fill the new thread is a fix solution but it has no future. In a few years we would have the same discussion...

Gabriel900 liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2016, 05:02 PM   #132
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29025

OMG Please stop this 500m+ nonsense! Adding to what Ch.W just said if we did take the 500ms towers to a new section this will totally kill the supertall one that is left with only 300m and 400m towers! I myself very rarely do check progress of any of the towers below 500m

Ch.W, DubaiM, Shenkey liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2016, 07:41 PM   #133
erbse
LIBERTINED

Again: No one said Megatalls should be re-defined as 500m+! What the heck are you even thinking?

It's just that a barely filled section isn't much fun, we're experienced in this regard on SSC. I used to moderate all sections of the global Development forums and gained a lot of insight here.

If there's enough projects in the not-too distant future for an actual 600+ section, then fine, there will be no fuss to change this. Jeez, we're on the web! This isn't carved in stone!

The supertalls forum is too crowded as-is, and a bare 600m+ section wouldn't help a bit with that.

Torch liked this post
erbse no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:13 PM   #134
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15913

It's not about making a megatall section, it is about splitting the overcrowded supertall forums in the most reasonable way. You guys are completely missing the point here. There's also a 200-299m thread and a 100-199m, both subofrums lack a proper term, so what? When you get too many active threads you should split the existing forum into halves, not into 5% vs 95% just because you want a nice title (megatalls) for the new subforum. Nowadays megatalls are mixed with supertalls, from now on they will be mixed just with 500m+ supertalls. Nobody is dishonouring the megatall concept.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

erbse liked this post
z0rg no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2016, 02:39 AM   #135
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1704

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
It's not about making a megatall section, it is about splitting the overcrowded supertall forums in the most reasonable way. You guys are completely missing the point here. There's also a 200-299m thread and a 100-199m, both subofrums lack a proper term, so what? When you get too many active threads you should split the existing forum into halves, not into 5% vs 95% just because you want a nice title (megatalls) for the new subforum. Nowadays megatalls are mixed with supertalls, from now on they will be mixed just with 500m+ supertalls. Nobody is dishonouring the megatall concept.
For that purpose, making a subforum for every 100 metres would also make sense.
600+ (Megatalls)
500-599 (Supertalls 3)
400-499 (Supertalls 2)
300-399 (Supertalls 1)
200-299 (Skyscrapers)
100-199 (High-rises)

erbse, DubaiM liked this post
Victhor no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:58 AM   #136
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ Indeed. Maybe it'd all be more orderly and less crowded then. As this is the main skyscraper forum, it's perfectly justifiable to have such a refined structure for skyscraper projects.

And thanks for your post z0rg, exactly the point. Some people in here are jumping way over the fence.

Btw, the General Urban Developments would also profit from some kind of release.
The Archive is way too big. I suggested adding an Archive for every project forum (highrises, skyscrapers, supertalls). Cramping them all together ain't so cool.

erbse no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:04 AM   #137
Gabriel900
Super Mod

People are missing the fact that these 5% of megatalls create almost 50% of the activity in the Supertall section!! And puh-Lease Jan was crystal clear when he suggested to have a new MEGATALL section. I mean read the title of this thread! If it was about just dividing it 50 - 50 then he would have done it already! No need to make a big fuss about it then.

To refresh your memories guys ... here's Jan first post of this thread! So please don't rephrase the intent of this thread just for the sake of proving your point! I say what Jan suggested is best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
It's been suggested we add a megatall (over 600 meter / 2,000 feet) section. The reason not to is that the number of megatall projects is limited, so it's going to be a few extra clicks going back and forth for those interested in anything 300 meter plus.

Then again, we're a skyscraper site, so yeah.

I just ran through the supertall forums and tagged those over 600 as megatall. We could move these to one new section, although that we be under construction, proposed and visions all in one.

Let me know what you guys think of adding a megatall section.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:52 AM   #138
erbse
LIBERTINED

Quote:
People are missing the fact that these 5% of megatalls create almost 50% of the activity in the Supertall section!
That's a staggering exaggeration. It might have applied when the Burj Dubai/Khalifa was the super-hot and seemingly only topic on this forum, but times changed dramatically. When I look for the highest post counts here, it's not the megatalls that lead (except JT). Same for views. It rather depends on location and iconic design which ones lead, not all too much on height.

And frankly, the height race turned less appealing over the past few years. This can be measured by the decreasing public interest for new supertalls/megatalls. People care more about iconic and timeless quality designs nowadays (which is a good thing imho) and actual landmark towers, also location is very important. Height bragging by itself has a much lower attention span. It has worn off since it was so frequently done by so many players.

So you're super passionate about this obviously. But how about this suggestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
600+ (Megatalls)
500-599 (Supertalls 3)
400-499 (Supertalls 2)
300-399 (Supertalls 1)
200-299 (Skyscrapers)
100-199 (High-rises)
That way all sections would be more evenly and similarily active, with finer distinctions.

<100 up to <600 all should have the sub-sections: Proposed/Visions and Archive.

Last edited by erbse; April 22nd, 2016 at 12:01 PM.
erbse no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:02 PM   #139
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
600+ (Megatalls)
500-599 (Supertalls 3)
400-499 (Supertalls 2)
300-399 (Supertalls 1)
200-299 (Skyscrapers)
100-199 (High-rises)
Yup, that would be perfect, logical and likely to satisfy both those of us who want to divert the existing overcrowded subforums and the megatall fanboys.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:15 PM   #140
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
So you're super passionate about this obviously. But how about this suggestion?

600+ (Megatalls)
500-599 (Supertalls 3)
400-499 (Supertalls 2)
300-399 (Supertalls 1)
200-299 (Skyscrapers)
100-199 (High-rises)
It is indeed a very good one and I wasn't against it in the first place and since we are expecting a rise in the number of 300m+ towers in the coming years, this could be a very sustainable plan for this forum.

My only issue was with the 500m+ plan because it will only create chaos in the future if further subsections were needed to be made due to the fact that there is no logic in it in the first place to why this threshold was chosen.

erbse liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea  

Closed Thread