daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #21
GTAsa

Likes (Received): 247

Prizeskoda, go take your medicine and look at your map where Turkey is not in Europe
You don't like Turks you don't like muslims, we got your point.

GTA V Videos

Trap king
GTAsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #22
space_invader

Likes (Received): 0

pricemazda: why the patronising tone?

also, your sense of history is poor.

very poor. Religious tolerance within the Ottoman Empire was far greater than can be found in Christain Europe (especially in Istanbul) Therefore, rest assured, the mosques were built as mosques rather than be converted from existing churches. Also, because Constantinope was in such a poor condition when the Turks conquered it (due to Byzantine neglect, hundreds of years of war as well as plundering and destruction by the Crusaders), much of the city was rebuilt to a higher standard.

I'm still astonished by your ignorance, by the way.

did you really think all those beautiful domes and interiors were 'conversions'?

Man, crazy.....
space_invader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #23
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

GT******* I have no problem with muslims, where did you get that from?
Old March 16th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #24
GTAsa

Read your stupid posts about the old Temple and the Dome of Rock, first Turks and then Muslims, who is next?
We all know your superior race

GTA V Videos

Trap king
Old March 16th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #25
space_invader

I meant to say:

a beautiful thread! the pics are incredible. Keep thiniing of book ideas!

Can you imagine a book, sqaure pages, on each right-sided page, a colour photograph, cropped to show only the dome interior. thern on the facing page, some text.

It would be stunning - like a collection of jewels or images of the solar system.
Old March 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #26
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Well is it not true that The Al-Asqa mosque is built on the ruined site of the Temple? If thats being anti-muslim then I must be guilty as charged.

In a seperate case is it not true that the Hagia Sophia was a cathedral before being converted into a mosque. This isn't just islam that does this. There is a church down the road from me, which was a catholic church, then during the reformation it became protestant, then with the surge of jewish immigration to the UK in the 19th century it became a synagogue, now with a large Bengali population it is a mosque.

You think I am anti-muslim, but you actually have no idea about me at all.
Old March 16th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #27
messiah
BANNED

Location: Istanbul Miklagord Esdambol Vizantion Bizantium Antoninya NovaRoma Konstantinopolis Vizant Dersaadet
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
Well is it not true that The Al-Asqa mosque is built on the ruined site of the Temple? If thats being anti-muslim then I must be guilty as charged.

In a seperate case is it not true that the Hagia Sophia was a cathedral before being converted into a mosque. This isn't just islam that does this. There is a church down the road from me, which was a catholic church, then during the reformation it became protestant, then with the surge of jewish immigration to the UK in the 19th century it became a synagogue, now with a large Bengali population it is a mosque.

We don't have any idea about you that's correct but you don't have any idea about Istanbul!! Why do you tell the poeple that those mosques were converted from christian churches without having any knowledge,why?Just give me a answer to my question.
messiah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #28
GTAsa

So what is your point prizemazda? Why did you waste your time typing for a thread that is showing 10 or so mosque domes and only one was convert and moving to Jerusalem?

GTA V Videos

Trap king
Old March 16th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #29
Urban Girl

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah
We don't have any idea about you that's correct but you don't have any idea about Istanbul!! Why do you tell the poeple that those mosques were converted from christian churches without having any knowledge,why?Just give me a answer to my question.
the answer is very simple messiah; anti-turkish feelings and the results of the brainwashing
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #30
Allan
Strength and Honour

Likes (Received): 6

lutfen, arkadaslar birakin kim ne istiyorsa yazsin.gereksiz tartismalara girip kendimizi yipratiyor ve gulunc hale dusuruyoruz.

"The greatest way to live with honour in this world is to be what we pretend to be." (Socrates)
Allan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #31
sts

Likes (Received): 23

Nice!!
sts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #32
Istanbullu
Made in Turkey

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:

This thread is not about Hagia Sophia!!! This thread is not about churches which are converted to mosques!!!

This thread is about the great domes of Istanbul!!! Hagia Sophia is just one of them. Oh btw Hagia Sophia is a part of our city, a precious part. We are proud with that masterpiece and also with other great ones that our city has.

So take your garbage else where and get lost from our threads if you have nothing constractive to say as usual...
Istanbullu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #33
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

ignore him Istanbullu, he is just a kid who has understanding problem.

Let's look at this one; Yavuz Selim Mosque

Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #34
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

well this 'kid' who is 25 would like to know whether there are any gothic or neo-gothic mosques, if you have any of those that would be wonderful.
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #35
mvelig

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Girl
Its original name is Sultanahmet mosque but its called "Blue Mosque" because of the blue Turkish ceramics interior of the Mosque.
It makes a bit of sense, even though I can see that the Maltepe Mosque has got that blue feeling in a greater extend. Oh well, no need to argue
mvelig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #36
space_invader

Got the impresssion that the production designers for the most recent star wars movies looked to Istanbul to conjure their vision for the imperial cities.

sometimes i think Istanbul's skyline looks so futuristic - like sci-fi.
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #37
GTAsa

Quote:
Pertevniyal Valide Sultan Camii, Aksaray, Constantinople, Turkey -- 1890

The Valide Mosque is located to the northeatern direction of the Aksaray square in the Fatih district of Istanbul. The patron is Pertevniyal Valide Sultan, the mother of Sultan Abdulaziz. The mosque was constructed during 1869-1871 by the architect Sarkis Balyan in the Neo Gothic style. Written records state that Agop Balyan participated in the project of the mosque. The mosque was originally part of a complex comprising a theological school, a mausolea, a soup kitchen and a fountain. The subsidiary structures were either demolished, or, like the fountain, transferred to toher locations, during the reconstruction of the Aksaray square between 1956- 1959.

Some more pics here

GTA V Videos

Trap king
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #38
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvelig
It makes a bit of sense, even though I can see that the Maltepe Mosque has got that blue feeling in a greater extend. Oh well, no need to argue
Don't look at Maltepe Mosque or some other new mosques... They are the immitations of old classical mosques. I don't like them. It is a back step to 16th century at the architecture...

But Sultanahmet mosque (aka Blue Mosuqe) is an orginal work and represents its own century.
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #39
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_invader
Got the impresssion that the production designers for the most recent star wars movies looked to Istanbul to conjure their vision for the imperial cities.

sometimes i think Istanbul's skyline looks so futuristic - like sci-fi.
That's true, you can see there Blue Mosque without minarates...

BTW I want to add an information: Blue mosque was the only mosque wich has six minarates. Before Blue Mosque, only the mosque at Kabaa had six minarates, but when Blue Mosque had been complated, they added one more minarate to the mosque of Kabaa in Mecca, as a respect of course... But later Saudi regime destroyed old Ottoman mosque at Kabaa and built a new Arabic style mosque there...
Old March 17th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #40
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
well this 'kid' who is 25 would like to know whether there are any gothic or neo-gothic mosques, if you have any of those that would be wonderful.
Of course we have not any gothic or neo-gothic mosques, due to some reasons.

As a German professor said "if Ottomans could enter Vienna, we could see the effect of gothic architecture in the Islamic art, but we missed the opportunity to see it, although we saved our city"...

Although there are braoque or rokoko mosques, why don't we have gothic mosques? Because of the shape. Baroque or rokoko is suitable to classical mosque designs, and calssical designs have a shape wich is convertible to those two styles. But gothic is not.

So, why did they keep the main idea of classical mosques, although style can be changed? Because of Orthodox Islamic idea! Ottoman idea had so much factor from Byzantian Orthodox idea. This effected even the religion and understanding of Islam. Many things passed to Ottoman Islamic from Orthodox religion, not only the shapes and state manangment. And in Orthodox belief shapes can't be changed like Western Christianity.

But this silly idea let us miss something like modern mosques even today All new mosques in Turkey are the immitations of old classical mosques ( I think bad immitations). As I know, we have only three modern mosques in Turkey.

And Turkish architects build modern designs in other countries like this example. Shah Faisal Mosque in Islamabad - Pakistan, designed by famous Turkish architect Vedat Dalokay

Dalokay also designed the big mosque in Ankara, today called Kocatepe Mosque. But this silly idea canceled his wonderful design and built a big immitation classical design isteed . Some religious authorities said " his design doesn't look like mosque...