daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:12 AM   #1
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

NEW YORK | 989-993 Sixth Ave. | ~300m | ~984ft | 80 fl | Pro

Per the Real Deal, Chetrit and Yadidi are proposing an 80 story tower on a block-long assemblage on Sixth Ave between 36th and 37th (so within close proximity to the Empire State Building for such a tall building):

Quote:
Investors Isaac Chetrit and Ray Yadidi are planning a mixed-use skyscraper of up to 80 stories in the Garment District, after closing Wednesday on the missing piece of an assemblage spanning 375,000 square feet, sources told The Real Deal.

The block-long assemblage on Sixth Avenue between West 36th and 37th streets consists of two existing buildings and 235,000 square feet of adjacent air rights. Himmel + Meringoff Properties sold the air rights affiliated with the landmarked Haier Building at 1352-1362 Broadway, also known as 981-987 Sixth Avenue for an undisclosed price, sources said. The Haier Building itself is not part of the assemblage.

Given the as-of-right zoning, sources said the most probable use of the property is a mix of residential, hotel and retail.

Chetrit and Yadidi, who respectively run AB & Sons and Sioni Group with their families, have allocated a total of $280 million in investment. This includes the property and air rights acquisitions and pre-construction costs, sources said.

The 21-story office building at 989-991 Sixth spans 96,000 square feet, while the one-story retail building at 993 Sixth Avenue offers 44,000 buildable square feet. Chetrit and Yadidi paid $49 million in 2007 for the former and $54.3 million in October for the latter, property records show.
In a span of three years, the building at 993 Sixth Avenue soared in value – by more than 350 percent. Empire Hotel Group, which paid $12 million for the building in 2012, abandoned plans to build a 122-key hotel on the site.
Demolition of the existing buildings won’t happen for at least three years, sources said.

Himmel + Meringoff declined to comment, as did Chetrit and Yadidi.
BTW, I may be slightly jumping the gun by putting this in Supertalls (and please feel free to tell me so and we can see about moving the thread) but I'm making some assumptions, and working off of recent NYC trends in which residential towers of 80+ floors have tended to be taller than 1000 ft., in some cases much taller. If it turns out that this is going to be a below-market rate tower, I'd wager it could be closer to 800-900 ft. If it falls into the super-luxury category, it could be 1200-1400 ft. I'd guess, given the location, that it will fall somewhere in between but we probably won't have a great idea for some time.

Seoul_Korea, erbse, prageethSL liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; April 22nd, 2016 at 03:38 AM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2016, 01:24 AM   #2
Anday

Likes (Received): 1017

Last edited by Anday; November 10th, 2017 at 10:10 AM.
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 03:54 AM   #3
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Could easily be a supertall, just watch out for NIMBYS!

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 03:59 AM   #4
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

New York is getting insane, I see nothing but potential for NYC, ever year I go to NYC twice, and every time I go the amount of construction and development nearly doubles. There's was a construction development on every other block in NYC.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 03:44 PM   #5
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
I don't see an issue with being too near at ESB. It wouldn't block any major skyline views from and to ESB, even from Hamilton Park across the Hudson River. Other typical skyline views up the Hudson River usually focus more on Midtown.

Unless I made some flaws, the picture should show where a supertall could block the ESB. Shaded yellow area full blockage of ESB, unshaded partially blocked views on ESB.

The picture shows that people working in New York Times Tower would not be too happy.
I used the edges of the site of the new tower as reference. The tower will certainly be a bit slimmer.
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

I know that everything is VERY speculative at the moment, cause we only know that this project could have up to 80 stories and we know the location. Nevertheless, I tried to come up with a realistic massing to see what impact the building would make in the skyline.

I chose a height of ~1000 ft / 305m, and made it thinner than the edges of the plot, like a realistic tower would be. Of course the building could vary a lot in height and slenderness.

View from ESB. It is very close from here, but it will block some hideous buildings too.

View from the "Top of the Rock"

View from Hudson Yard observation deck. Manhattan West could alter this view a lot.

Hudson river view from Hamilton Park. This view will change a lot in the next years. So the impact of the building could be less than it looks here.

WTC One observation deck. Bank of America Tower will be blocked (at least partially).

East River view from Queens. I chose one of the locations on the East River, where this building is most visible. In some views it's totally blocked by other buildings.

All pictures by me. Made with Google Earth.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 09:56 PM   #7
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

Thanks for putting that together, definitely gives a sense of how impactful a tower in that location (surrounded by some relatively low-rise blocks) would be. You're right that -- between the rising wall of towers in the Hudson Yards, and the already existing towers on the East River -- it may appear to get a little lost from the East and West. But it's going to be super prominent when viewed from the South.

As far as the NIMBY crowd worrying about its impact on the ESB, I don't think it's so much that it will block the view as much as crowd its airspace.

TallestKidOnTheBlock liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:42 PM   #8
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I see this as a benefit that it's 3 blocks away from the ESB. Because that will create a great update angle.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 09:00 AM   #9
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

The ESB isn't even the nicest building in the skyline, it needs some more company. Too bad Penn never made it.

voyager8907 liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 12:17 AM   #10
tokilamockingbrd

Likes (Received): 116

this will be a part of the next wave which is when we will see 1 Vandy, Brooklyn Tower, this, 2 WTC, and Hudson phase 2 (plus project by other devs on far west) going up.

Current wave is WTC 3, Billionaires row, hudson ph 1, and other super slender luxury properties around Manhattan.
tokilamockingbrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:05 AM   #11
Tupac96

Likes (Received): 320

wow man the new york skyline is killing meh !
Tupac96 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 10:57 PM   #12
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28170

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
The ESB isn't even the nicest building in the skyline, it needs some more company. Too bad Penn never made it.
I agree.
I think it is an iconic tower but I grow tired of all this blocked view whining.
There is no reason not to build supertalls in this block.

KillerZavatar, citybooster liked this post
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 05:50 PM   #13
daloso

Likes (Received): 561

Nice proiect !
Todos los países, sean grandes o pequeños, fuertes o débiles, deben gozar de igualdad de derechos en las relaciones internacionales. Su soberanía y su integridad territorial deben ser respetadas, nunca violadas.

Zhou Enlai
daloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #14
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22531

hopefully KPF will cook up something nice here to balance out what Moinian has taken away from the skyline.

Isaac Chetrit hires KPF to design 80-story tower on Sixth Avenue

Quote:
The building will include retail, office space and either apartments or a hotel, sources said. But whether it will be built is still far from clear. Groundbreaking likely won’t start until early 2020, when an office tenant’s lease at 989-991 Sixth Avenue expires.

And Chetrit and Yadidi are still considering flipping the site, which sits between 36th and 37th Streets, as The Real Deal reported last month.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 04:56 AM   #15
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

A little too close to ESB for my comfort...
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #16
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6864

I can't see it being office. 6th Avenue has been bleeding tenants and there's a ton of competition for top-tier space already under construction.

Tags
981-993 sixth ave., 989-993 sixth ave., midtown, nyc