daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #41
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Thanks
I know the website because of the great diagrams, but i'm not very familiar with their threads. This helps

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2016, 12:49 AM   #42
INFERNAL ELF

Location: Trondheim Trying to reach Someplace with Skyscrapers
Likes (Received): 159

i Have to agree with "hella good" that Frank Lloyd Wright`s Vision of the Illinois classicaly knows as the Mile high tower. Is the First True tought up Megatall. Frank Loyd was a mastermind and took alot of stuff into consideration when he made the proposal he even made complete drawing of all the floors. And it was envisoned with floor space double that of the The Venetian
Macau ,China wich is very hard to pull through but is actually sensible when it comes to saving space. Burj khalifah and Kingdom tower as mentioned is mostly core and unusable space in the top

And now days his vision is becoming very close to Reality. Both Burj Khalifah and Kingdom tower is Very similar to his original vision.

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

hella good, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
INFERNAL ELF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 01:31 AM   #43
bartboy
Unity/Faith/Discipline

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Immigrant View Post
Wow, this is amazing! Never knew that.

bartboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 08:24 AM   #44
trustevil

Likes (Received): 386

So the tower of babel was never complete but if it was not as tall as the pyramids in Egypt why would God intervene? So that post about it being over 8000 ft tall might seem more true because that's the size of a small mountain.

trustevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 12:10 PM   #45
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29041

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustevil View Post
So the tower of babel was never complete but if it was not as tall as the pyramids in Egypt why would God intervene? So that post about it being over 8000 ft tall might seem more true because that's the size of a small mountain.
Ok this is soooooo much out of topic but according to the Bible, God intervened not because of how high the tower was but bcz for what the tower stood for back then, so it could have been 200 feet or 2000 feet it didn't matter.

Anyway back to topic

trustevil, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 01:28 PM   #46
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

I'd love a modern tower of babel, like in the pic above u'd be ablle to walk to the top, a large structure thats not a hotel or an office building..
Old May 1st, 2016, 04:19 PM   #47
trustevil

Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Ok this is soooooo much out of topic but according to the Bible, God intervened not because of how high the tower was but bcz for what the tower stood for back then, so it could have been 200 feet or 2000 feet it didn't matter.

Anyway back to topic
Right it stood for something that he didn't like but that place I read was worked on 40 years by some 600000 ppl day and night not just the tower But the whole city itself. I'm sure 40 years of labor had to produce something large there.

trustevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 04:38 PM   #48
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
I'd love a modern tower of babel, like in the pic above u'd be ablle to walk to the top, a large structure thats not a hotel or an office building..
if the income it will generate is not higher than the construction and regularly maintenance costs, it will be hard to find investors though. unless a rich sheikh decides it is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustevil View Post
Right it stood for something that he didn't like but that place I read was worked on 40 years by some 600000 ppl day and night not just the tower But the whole city itself. I'm sure 40 years of labor had to produce something large there.
the whole city of Babylon had maybe a population of fourth the labor force that you talk about by the time. the tower that probably was referenced was 91m in height. you can download a nice model of the city and the tower here. the bible is hardly a reliable source, the tower didn't exist the way it was described, same way as the flood or adam and eve, a result of exaggeration and imagination.

DubaiM, Ch.W, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by KillerZavatar; May 1st, 2016 at 04:52 PM.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 04:57 PM   #49
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Let's not go into religion now please!! its enough what religion is causing of bloodshed and wars in today's world no need to start one here on the forum

Talking about a modern tower of Babel I think we did have one proposed but sadly put on hold

I just hope Nakheel (developer) will wake up from their coma and continue this beauty they started

Old May 1st, 2016, 05:11 PM   #50
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Sorry for this double post but I did a fast photoshop of Burj 2020 into the pic and voila 2 beautiful megatalls next to each other (I oversized burj 2020 so imagine it shorter lol)

Old May 1st, 2016, 07:23 PM   #51
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

side by side

Old May 1st, 2016, 07:41 PM   #52
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Nakheel Tower was also my favorite. Not a box, no setbacks and not a thin spire at the top. A perfect model of a megatall, really unique. Perhaps we will have luck and they build it in the future
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:22 PM   #53
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Nakheel Tower stopping construction will forever be one of the most memorable moments in SSC history to me. Just that one post of Imre with the dead palm broke my heart in a heartbeat and changed me from an optimist to a realist in terms of urban development.
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:43 PM   #54
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Since they already started piling so who knows they might decide to resume it! I very much believe the project is not dead in fact non of the big projects that were put on hold because of the 2008 crisis are dead and some of them already is restarting so in the future (near or far) this tower will see the light of the day as well as the Arabian Canal that was supposed to pass by it, fingers crossed.
Old May 1st, 2016, 10:08 PM   #55
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

and as long Nakheel owns the site no one else can build on it. If Burj 2020 starts, this project might get a new chance, since the area will become more developed. I could imagine a shorter version being built as well. In short term Nakheel might be more interested in saving it's off shore developments though.

Old May 1st, 2016, 10:34 PM   #56
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

You're right... Nakheel Tower was such a unique development that was almost about to be realised... Well, as far as we know it was never really cancelled either.. Maybe, one day, it's going to be built

DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:43 AM   #57
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljb View Post
The system of classification does reflect the era. It has evolved to include a new and necessary category - megatall. Supertall has a recognised meaning and can't be changed by a minority opinion on this forum. It's absurd. As absurd as redefining 6 foot 6 inches as the new 6 foot because 6 foot used to be really tall for a man.
I like that this subforum was created, even if it is near threadbare, because anything in this category is in a league of it's own, virtually guaranteed to exceed 100 floors and with exceptional engineering and likely great architecture as well.

Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:19 AM   #58
Tupac96

Likes (Received): 321

The best ever mega tall simply love it ! Burns me to know that it's cancelled ! Does anyone know anything about this anyway?
Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:13 AM   #59
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
There was really a tower of babel. In 1913 the fundament structure was found.
It measures about 92m x 92m and the height was calculated with approximately 91m.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel
It was very likely a ziggurat building like this:

Building "the tower of babel" is until today a phrase for a extrem huge construction, often used to describe unprofitable and pointless projects with also extreme costs.
It's interesting because the babel tower was the maximum of hight in those ancient times. The first in modern language megatall! The egypt pyramids were build a bit later...and higher
So the question comes to mind: how tall can we build today?
A difficult question. I think we can build really tall if economics and floorspace wouldn't play a role. At least 5 kilometers maybe more if we use new experimental materials like nanotubes and transparant steel. The base would need to be incredibly wide though.

When economics come into play, it would be a totally different story. a 5km tower would require so many elevators. And the top floors would need to be pressurised like an airplane.

Ch.W, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Orion602 liked this post
Atmosphere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:54 AM   #60
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

Did u guys see this !

http://www.abudhabi2.com/uae-mulls-m...rove-rainfall/

UAE to build artificial mountain to improve rainfall
Quote:

The UAE is currently in the first stage of a man-made mountain development project as the country mulls different approaches to maximising rainfall.
Experts from the US-based University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR), which manages the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) are in the “detailed modelling study” phase, as per NCAR scientist and lead researcher Roelof Bruintjes.

“What we are looking at is basically evaluating the effects on weather through the type of mountain, how high it should be and how the slopes should be,” said Bruintjes. “We will have a report of the first phase this summer as an initial step.”
In collaboration with the National Center of Meteorology & Seismology (NCMS), the UCAR received a fund of $400,000 in February last year to propose a “detailed modelling study evaluating the effects of building a mountain on the weather”.

The presence of mountains forces air to rise, creating clouds that can then be seeded, Bruintjes said.
Cloud seeding, a weather modification process designed to increase the amount of rainfall produced from clouds, has a permanent unit at the NCMS’s meteorological department, which conducts operations across the UAE.

The department recently revealed $558,000 was spent on UAE cloud-seeding last year.
“Building a mountain is not a simple thing,” added Bruintjes. “We are still busy finalising assimilation, so we are doing a spread of all kinds of heights, widths and locations [as we simultaneously] look at the local climatology.”

The specific location has not yet been determined as the NCAR experts are still testing out different sites across the UAE.
“If [the project] is too expensive for [the government], logically the project won’t go through, but this gives them an idea of what kind of alternatives there are for the long-term future,” Bruintjes said. “If it goes through, the second phase would be to go to an engineering company and decide whether it is possible or not.”
Mountains play an important role in influencing global and regional climates and weather conditions. By intercepting the global circulation of air, they have a decisive effect on wind, precipitation and temperature patterns, according to a Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) 2011 report.