SkyscraperCity Forum banner

202 room hotel & 244 serviced apartments, Mill Road | Gateshead | 20fl | Planning Refused

53K views 249 replies 29 participants last post by  Ken O'Heed 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oft commented on over the years as being a blot on the area

Noticed on Saturday 27/06/15 AM the "Sold subject to contract" sign on the building at junction of Mill Rd and Hawks Rd in the Saltmeadows area of Gateshead (opposite the Gateshead College and just west of the Ramada Encore Hotel) - my pictures from approx 1115

Wonder if set for demolition and redvelopment of the site area

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

See less See more
#2 ·
Former HRW building, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - set for student accommodation?

This Application on Gateshead Planning Portal 01/09/15

DC/15/00856/FUL

Erection of 13-storey 265-bed student development with parking and communal facilities.

Mill Road East Gateshead Gateshead NE8 3AE

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=NTDE7THKJEV00

Also posted to Gateshead Developments thread

KEN

#6 ·
Having looked at the D&A Statement and the very poor views of the proposal from the Quayside, its not tall enough.

13 Storeys is the same as Baltic Quays, and the massing would line up to give a vertical wall of building, visually mushing everything together.

The elevations are messy and ill considered too.

20+ storeys would be better, and a more coherent elevational treatment preferred.

Why not something tastefully colourful and express the glass and steel? Its amazing how architects and developers can be so mundane.

#7 ·
I run past the Ramada quite a lot and I don't think their guests will be bothered, mostly stag and hen do's. I can see they've taken inspiration from the Baltic itself and quite like the name Hawks Mill. However, I haven't checked the app for what the materials are, but I'd guess its beige terracotta tiles and yellow (or whatever colour they call it) bricks.

#9 ·
HRW Building Student Accommodation | Gateshead | 14fl | Preparation

I agree it looks decent. Unlike Newcastle, student accommodation in Gateshead is all positive , increasing footfall and helping the age demographic while developing unused sites. I'm hoping for more buildings on Baltic Business Park and creation of an educational campus. The only proviso is preserving the GQ site for a future conference centre.

#10 ·
Former HRW building, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - Planning now Granted

This Application on Gateshead Planning Portal 01/09/15

DC/15/00856/FUL

Erection of 13-storey 265-bed student development with parking and communal facilities.

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=NTDE7THKJEV00

KEN
On Gateshead Planning Portal 20/11/15 as GRANTED

DC/15/00856/FUL

Erection of 14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development with parking and communal facilities.(Amended 23.10.2015)

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NTDE7THKJEV00

Includes lot of "amended plans" dated 06/11/15

KEN

#11 ·

DC/15/00856/FUL

Erection of 14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development with parking and communal facilities.(Amended 23.10.2015)

KEN

Still slightly surprised as 14 storeys in this location will look very tall from the Quayside, especially when only a few years ago they always used the Tyne Gorge Study to stop taller buildings.

#12 ·
Student development is probably far more appropriate in Gateshead as there is really quite a lot of space to develop and infill, however considering its prominence we could have hoped for a better design of building rather than the current granted scheme.

To be able to both attract decent development teams and ensure any development positively contributes to the surroundings rather than detracts is down to having decent planning documents and strategies, and a willingness to stay firm. Newcastle/Gateshead core plan is good but they forget just how prominent our city is on a European scale, and deserving of better quality. If this sort of development would be unacceptable in Copenhagen, Stuttgart of Turin then it shouldn't be acceptable on Tyneside.

#13 ·
Former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - Planning now Granted

DC/15/00856/FUL

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NTDE7THKJEV00

KEN
Previously covered on this thread on posts #652 -659, 699 - 701

Looks as if the start of stripping out and demolition of the former HFW building on Mill Rd/ Hawks Rd, Gateshead cannot be far way - a lot of windows removed in order to "ventilate" the building

These pictures by myself from Saturday 16/01/16 approx 1030 show condition of the building at that time

KEN

#14 ·
14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development at former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - demolition work commenced, pictures 23/04/16

Previously covered on this thread on posts #652 -659, 699 - 701, 712 & last #716

DC/15/00856/FUL

Stripping out and demolition of the former HFW building on Mill Rd/ Hawks Rd, Gateshead now taking place

These pictures by myself from Saturday 23/04/16 approx 1045 show condition of the building at that time

NB - With the start of work perhaps time for a thread of its own

KEN

#16 ·
14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development at former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - demolition work commenced, pictures 01/05/16

Stripping out and demolition of the former HFW building on Mill Rd/ Hawks Rd, Gateshead now taking place

This picture from angle not covered previously, Hawks Rd looking west, by myself from Sunday 01/05/16 approx 1130 showing condition of the building at that time - not much change since my last post #14

KEN

#17 ·
14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development at former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - demolition work, pictures 21/05/16

Stripping out and demolition of the former HRW building on Mill Rd/ Hawks Rd, Gateshead now taking place

Trenching etc in pictures is work associated with new District Energy Plant being built on Quarryfield Rd, pipes serving various buildings across Gateshead Town Centre, the Baltic, Sage building etc

These pictures by myself from Saturday 21/05/16 approx 0930 showing situation of the building at that time

KEN

#18 ·
15 storey 326-bed Student Development at Former HRW building, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - Possible change to Approved Planning

Possible change for the scheme

This newly arrived on Gateshead Planning Portal on 23/05/16

DC/16/00469/FUL

15 storey (at highest point and 1 metre higher than previously approved development DC/15/00856/FUL) 326-bed Student Development with parking and communal facilities.

Application Validated - Thu 12 May 2016

Status - Awaiting decision

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O72J0KHKM0900

KEN

#19 ·
14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development at former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - demolition work, pictures 28/05/16

Stripping out and demolition of the former HRW building on Mill Rd/ Hawks Rd, Gateshead now taking place

Trenching etc in pictures is work associated with new District Energy Plant being built on Quarryfield Rd, pipes serving various buildings across Gateshead Town Centre, the Baltic, Sage building etc

These pictures by myself from Saturday 28/05/16 approx 0930 showing situation of the building at that time - demolition machine now on site so looks as if structural demolition set to start shortly

Images hosted on PHotobucket

KEN

#20 ·
14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development at former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - demolition work, pictures 04/06/16

Stripping out and demolition of the former HRW building on Mill Rd/ Hawks Rd, Gateshead now taking place - large number of windows now removed

Trenching etc in pictures is work associated with new District Energy Plant being built on Quarryfield Rd, pipes serving various buildings across Gateshead Town Centre, the Baltic, Sage building etc - see posts in "Gateshead Devlopments" thread

These pictures by myself from Saturday 04/06/16 approx 0900 showing situation of the building at that time - demolition machine now on site so looks as if structural demolition set to start shortly

KEN

#21 ·
14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development at former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - demolition work, pictures 22/06/16

Trenching etc in pictures is work associated with new District Energy Plant being built on Quarryfield Rd, pipes serving various buildings across Gateshead Town Centre, the Baltic, Sage building etc - see posts in "Gateshead Developments" thread

18 days further on these pictures by myself from Wednesday 22/06/16 approx 1500 showing situation of the building at that time - looks as if structural demolition has started as signs of daylight through roof so work to that element progressing

KEN

#22 ·
14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development at former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - demolition work, pictures 07/07/16

Trenching etc in pictures is work associated with new District Energy Plant being built on Quarryfield Rd, pipes serving various buildings across Gateshead Town Centre, the Baltic, Sage building etc - see posts in "Gateshead Developments" thread

15 days further on this picture by myself from Thursday 07/07/16 approx 1145 showing situation of the building at that time - looks as if structural demolition has started as signs of daylight through roof so work to that element progressing - lot of "windy pick" noise heard when passing over recent days

On checking Gateshead Council Planning Portal, this application, noted on post #18 still not decided:-

DC/16/00469/FUL

15 storey (at highest point and 1 metre higher than previously approved development DC/15/00856/FUL) 326-bed Student Development with parking and communal facilities.

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O72J0KHKM0900

Image hosted on Photobucketr

KEN

#27 ·
14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development at former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead -Planning change still awaited 24/07/16

On checking Gateshead Council Planning Portal, this application, noted on post #18 still not decided:-

DC/16/00469/FUL

Image hosted on Photobucketr

KEN
The above is cut down post #22

On checking on Sunday 24/07/16 "Awaiting Decision"

I note that title on this thread has recently been changed to "15 floor" - probably will happen but still "14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed" at present

KEN

#26 ·
14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development at former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - demolition work, pictures 24/07/16

As noted in TOON FAN post immediately above Demolition of the former HRW building on Mill Rd/ Hawks Rd, Gateshead now taking place

By coincidence these pictures by myself also from Sunday 24/07/16 approx 1015 showing situation of the building at that time - structural demolition started

KEN

#30 ·
14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development at former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - demolition work, pictures 27/07/16

These further pictures by myself from Wednesday 27/07/16 approx 1045 showing situation of the building at that time - structural demolition started and plywood hoarding now in place on Mill Rd elevation

KEN

#31 ·
14-storey (at highest point) 265-bed student development at former HRW building, Mill Road, Saltmeadows area, Gateshead - demolition work, pictures 30/07/16

These further pictures by myself from Saturday 30/07/16 approx 0915 showing situation of the building at that time - structural demolition in progress and plywood hoarding now completed on Mill Rd elevation

KEN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.