daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #21
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoUtr View Post
You're right about Europe. In the Netherlands you cam make a one-day roundtrip to visit all 8 UNESCO sites. You're back before dinner. It's really easy to get a higher sites-count if you live in Europe.
To make you more jealous ;-). There are seven sites within 1 hour driving from my house .
In 1h20 min far from my city there are at least 5 World Heritage Sites

However, I live in the southwestern corner of Europe, so it's not that easy for me to visit some of the ones that I did: Belgium, Poland, Ukraine...
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #22
Cyaxares
BANNED

Likes (Received): 344

About Europe and UNESCO sites... I hope I won't be offending anyone, but I think many of the sites don't really deserve a UNESCO designation if you compare them to other sites. Many seem so dull. I sometimes find it hard to believe how some of those sites are important to the world's heritage. Important to the local culture/history? Sure. It looks like some countries just want as many UNESCO sites as possible, a bit of an ego thing I guess? Also, many of the European UNESCO-designated Old Towns look so similar. How can towns that are so similar, practically identical, all be ''unique''? The argument is usually related to the town's architecture, but if the architecture is the same, wouldn't it be sufficient to simply list the best (or earliest) Old Town as a UNESCO site? I've visited quite some of the Old European towns, and yes, they look amazing, but listing them on UNESCO's heritage list is an exaggeration. If UNESCO keeps adding sites, it will soon lose its ''prestige image''.

I associate the Roman Forum, Great Pyramids, Persepolis, etc. with UNESCO. Not some building that was built a century ago which is unknown to even the local population (as someone mentioned on the previous page) :P.

I don't know, it's just the way I see things :P.

Last edited by Cyaxares; August 5th, 2016 at 08:19 PM.
Cyaxares no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #23
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyaxares View Post
About Europe and UNESCO sites... I hope I won't be offending anyone, but I think many of the sites don't really deserve a UNESCO designation
I totally agree with you... but I don't relate that specially with Europe (and yes, I'm european ). For me, when I visited India, places like Hampi and Mahabalipuram looked the same; also with forts of Jaipur and Jodhpur... but it's just because is what I'm not used to see.
Moreover, I'm european but from Spain, and when I visited Belgium all the towns looked the same for me, but the belgians told me that for them, the spanish cities are the ones that look very similar... it's all about perspective. No one looks the same for local people but yes, there are too many places in the whole world (I think not just in Europe) that doesn't deserve the World Heritage Status.

Cyaxares liked this post
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 04:33 PM   #24
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10735

I don't think UNESCO should focus only on a "best of", a "creme de la creme" of heritage, especially considering how important is their work and the WH status in *preserving* these things. Therefore I am of the opinion that there should be as many WH items as possible and each of us can have a personal "best of". I'm not interested in rocks lying around in nature very much but that's just my taste and interests. :P

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

adevahi liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2017, 02:39 AM   #25
Oleg812

Likes (Received): 15

Visited (actually visited, not seen from the bus etc) WHC sites. Unfortunately, it is not very long list.
Albania – 1 – Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra
Austria – 5 – Fertö / Neusiedlersee Cultural Landscape, Historic Center of Salzburg, Hallstatt-Dachstein / Salzkammergut Cultural Landscape, Palace and Gardens of Schönbrunn, Historic Center of Vienna
Belarus – 3 – Mir Castle Complex; Architectural, Residential and Cultural Complex of the Radziwill Family at Nesvizh, Belovezhskaya Pushcha / Białowieża Forest
Belgium – 3 – La Grand-Place, Brussels; Historic Centre of Bruges;Belfries of Belgium and France
Bosnia and Herzegovina – 1 – Old Bridge Area of the Old City of Mostar
Bulgaria – 1 – Ancient City of Nessebar
Croatia – 5 – Old City of Dubrovnik, Plitvice Lakes National Park, Historical Complex of Split with the Palace of Diocletian, Historic City of Trogir; The Cathedral of St James in Šibenik
Czechia – 5 - Kutná Hora: Historical Town Centre with the Church of St Barbara and the Cathedral of Our Lady at Sedlec; Holy Trinity Column in Olomouc; Historic Centre of Prague; Historic Centre of Telč; Historic Centre of Český Krumlov
France – 5 – Historic Fortified City of Carcassonne; The Loire Valley between Sully-sur-Loire and Chalonnes; Place Stanislas, Place de la Carričre and Place d'Alliance in Nancy; Paris, Banks of the Seine; Historic Site of Lyon
Estonia – 1 – Historic Centre (Old Town) of Tallinn
Germany – 7 – Town of Bamberg; Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin; Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin; Cologne Cathedral; Historic Centres of Stralsund and Wismar; Old Town of Regensburg with Stadtamhof; Roman Monuments, Cathedral of St. Peter and Church of Our Lady in Trier
Hungary – 3 – Fertö / Neusiedlersee Cultural Landscape; Budapest, including the Banks of the Danube, the Buda Castle Quarter and Andrássy Avenue; Millenary Benedictine Abbey of Pannonhalma and its Natural Environment
Italy – 4 - Botanical Garden (Orto Botanico), Padua; City of Verona; Venice and its Lagoon; City of Vicenza and the Palladian Villas of the Veneto
Latvia – 1 – Historic Centre of Riga
Lithuania – 1 – Vilnius Historic Centre
Luxembourg – 1 – City of Luxembourg: its Old Quarters and Fortifications
Netherlands – 1 – Seventeenth-century canal ring area of Amsterdam inside the Singelgracht
Poland – 7 – Cracow's Historic Centre; Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork; Auschwitz Birkenau, German Nazi Concentration and Extermination Camp (1940–1945); Medieval Town of Toruń; Historic Centre of Warsaw; Wieliczka and Bochnia Royal Salt Mines; Centennial Hall in Wrocław
Portugal – 3 – University of Coimbra – Alta and Sofia. Monastery of the Hieronymites and Tower of Belém in Lisbon, Historic Centre of Oporto
Romania – 1 – Historic Centre of Sighişoara
Russia – 6 – Curonian Spit; Church of the Ascension, Kolomenskoye; Kremlin and Red Square, Moscow; Historic Monuments of Novgorod and Surroundings; Historic Centre of Saint Petersburg and Related Groups of Monuments; Ensemble of the Ferapontov Monastery
Slovakia – 3 – Wooden Churches of the Slovak part of the Carpathian Mountain Area; Levoča, Spišský Hrad and the Associated Cultural Monuments; Caves of Aggtelek Karst and Slovak Karst
Spain – 7 – Historic Centre of Cordoba; Alhambra, Generalife and Albayzín, Granada; Old City of Salamanca; Cathedral, Alcázar and Archivo de Indias in Seville; Historic City of Toledo; Mudéjar Architecture of Aragon; Works of Antoni Gaudí
Switzerland – 2 – Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch, Old City of Bern
Ukraine – 4 – Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans; Ancient City of Tauric Chersonese and its Chora; Kyiv: Saint-Sophia Cathedral and Related Monastic Buildings, Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra; L'viv – the Ensemble of the Historic Centre

Total: 79
Oleg812 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
heritage buildings, list, monuments, tourism