daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真

Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真 Pictures & Video of Japan / 都市の景観・自然 写真とビデオ

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #161
coldstar
Tears of Buddha

Likes (Received): 6

HOKKAIDO more

greenery

sunset

rising sun

snow

crimson foliage

lakes and rivers

mountains

other scenery

Last edited by coldstar; July 21st, 2007 at 10:44 AM.
coldstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #162
Vapour

Likes (Received): 27

Old June 11th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #163
Benkei

Likes (Received): 0

脱帽!!!
Benkei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #164
SEED

those picx r great! dont get to see things like this on travel tv bout japan!
SEED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #165
TwGrl712

Amazing pictures! better than I ever imagined. One day I'll visit hokkaido for sure, maybe even by myself
TwGrl712 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #166
Skyblade
Chasing the skies

This seriously makes me miss Hokkaido even more!!!

Thanks for posting, Coldstar.
Skyblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #167
VicFontaine

Likes (Received): 8

I have a question about Hokkaido:

With a population of 5 million Hokkaido is quite sparsely populated. Why is that? Aren't japanese people willing to get out of the big city madness etc.?
So is it because there are hardly jobs available on Hokkaido? Or maybe construction is restricted in most areas because of national parks etc.?? Or what is the reason?!
VicFontaine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #168
Vapour

It's too cold
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #169
VicFontaine

Likes (Received): 8

Are you serious?? Thats the whole reason? I really wanna kno why !!
VicFontaine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #170
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicFontaine View Post
Are you serious?? Thats the whole reason? I really wanna kno why !!
It is the COLDEST area in Japan.

This is true. It lies near Sakhalin (which connects to the cold areas of mainland Russia) and it is DAMN cold all-year long.

However, once you go down south to the Okinawa Islands and the entire south-east Japan, it becomes the opposite.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #171
FML

Likes (Received): 49

Note: My answer is just a guess, and may contain lots of errors.

Quote:
With a population of 5 million Hokkaido is quite sparsely populated. Why is that?
The biggest reason, I presume, is because Hokkaido was (even more) sparsely populated until 19th century. The island (except of Matsumae-han) was only inhabited by Ainu people, who were mainly hunters. It means they couldn't sustain large population like Yamato (=mainland) Japanese could. The population increased after Japanese began immigration + reclamation, only 200 years ago.
Hokkaido does not have a large population, simply because it did not from the start.

Quote:
Aren't japanese people willing to get out of the big city madness etc.?
Even in mainland Japan, "Big cities" are just (Greater-) Tokyo, Osaka, and possibly Nagoya. Other places are not that crowded.
Hokkaido is a very nice place to visit, but its inconvenience, the cold climate, and the lack of jobs as you mentioned, all make immigrating not very easy. People still did move to Hokkaido in early 20th century, when many Japanese were unemployed farmers (they reclaimed the island), but nowadays, most Japanese are not farmers. Most of them don't have a good reason to move to Hokkaido, but to big cities.
FML no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #172
coldstar
Tears of Buddha

But more and more retiring office workers in Tokyo & Osaka are moving to Hokkaido and Okinawa so as to spin out their retirement in those wonderful places calmly. (IMO, Tokyoites are more attracted to Okinawa, on the other hand, Osakans are to Hokkaido.)

Indeed Hokkaido is damned cold in winter, but it has no rainy season and is ultimately brisk in summer. Needless to say, the food there are great.

I recommend foreigners (especially people from humid Asian countries) to travel Hokkaido (might be better than Honshu). I might be biased but from my own experience, Hokkaido is much more beautiful than Canada or New Zealand. Journey by local train is good but traveling by rent-a-car, bike or motorcycle are also great. Generally people in Hokkiado are gentle and kind to the travelers.
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #173
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

If you are looking for a vacation spot in Japan (that is away from the bustling city life of Japanese cities), then Hokkaido is one neat place to visit.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 10:46 AM   #174
coldstar
Tears of Buddha

Driving Fun on Country Roads

Lots of tourists from Taiwan, Korea, Hong Kong and Australia etc enjoy themselves at Hokkadio.

Good News
Holders of Taiwan's driver's license is allowed to drive in Japan, thanks to a proposal from the governor of Hokkaido.
Therefore, Taiwanese is able to drive in Japan with their own driver's license easily.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #175
ems
BANNED

STOP SHINKANSEN

Shinkansen is not necessary in Hokkaido. The construction should not be carried on any further than Hakodate, or will devastate the island otherwise. The airports already have enough capacity to connect to the other parts of the country. The island must remain untouched. The people in Sapporo are stupid enough to wish becoming like Tokyo one day, the slave of money to be sucked dry. It's evil. They don't even know where everything goes and what everything is intended to. Don't get into it more than it should be. Hokkaido is a very young island and can choose before anything can happen. I'm very worried about him going down the wrong path. If Shinkansen lands on the island, the cute creatures will lose their color and messed up by somebody else, the most unwelcomed one. It will not become any richer but only become poorer. Please young man, it is not a bright idea at all, as it seems, but only a dark choice. I don't understand why Hokkaido wants to survive and why sticking to it, even by accepting the dirty concretes. It is like drinking the poison. Gullible folks. Need to be on your own. Never depend on him and give him the choice all under his control. Depending on the inferior only makes you becoming the same as him.

Oh and finally, I like the idea, that Hokkaido and Honshu are entirely different, not a part of each other. It's oil and water, never be the same. Honshu is too much of a complex that can never be imported into Hokkaido, which will destroy the island. Need to keep some distance. Get rid of all the crap comes from Honshu.
ems no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #176
ems
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstar View Post
Hokkaido is much more beautiful than Canada or New Zealand.
Don't think so. Hokkaido is only a tiny crap compare to Canada or New Zealand.
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #177
ems
BANNED

I always think you talk a bit strange, far from the reality. Perhaps you should only be talking about Tokyo, not the other places. Because you obviously don't know very well.

Quote:
But more and more retiring office workers in Tokyo & Osaka are moving to Hokkaido and Okinawa so as to spin out their retirement in those wonderful places calmly.
I don't think that many people from Honshu come to Hokkaido and spending the life after the retirement. What kind of people do you think exactly come over to Hokkaido? Are they doing what? Absolutely nothing to do in there. Boring life is awaited.

Quote:
Indeed Hokkaido is damned cold in winter, but it has no rainy season and is ultimately brisk in summer. Needless to say, the food there are great.
I don't think being cold is a negative factor. If Hokkaido is humid and rainy, who would want to come? That kind weather makes you tired, don't you think? And I don't think the foods are very nice. Which food in Hokkaido do you think is nice? I like none of them. All of them are yuck in my opinion. I'd rather go to McDonalds.

Quote:
I recommend foreigners (especially people from humid Asian countries) to travel Hokkaido (might be better than Honshu).
Honshu is better wouldn't it? It has a lot better infrastructure to accommodate them. I mean what you would expect from the rural folks? They are extremely ignorant. The people mostly are not interested even the people from Honshu.

Quote:
Journey by local train is good but traveling by rent-a-car, bike or motorcycle are also great.
There is no decent train network there, and even road network. You pick up some nice photographs but they are only a minor portion of Hokkaido. Most part of this island is not as beautiful as you imagine.

Quote:
Generally people in Hokkiado are gentle and kind to the travelers.
Generally, who for instance?
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #178
ems
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FML View Post
Note: My answer is just a guess, and may contain lots of errors.

The biggest reason, I presume, is because Hokkaido was (even more) sparsely populated until 19th century. The island (except of Matsumae-han) was only inhabited by Ainu people, who were mainly hunters. It means they couldn't sustain large population like Yamato (=mainland) Japanese could. The population increased after Japanese began immigration + reclamation, only 200 years ago.
Hokkaido does not have a large population, simply because it did not from the start.

Even in mainland Japan, "Big cities" are just (Greater-) Tokyo, Osaka, and possibly Nagoya. Other places are not that crowded.
Hokkaido is a very nice place to visit, but its inconvenience, the cold climate, and the lack of jobs as you mentioned, all make immigrating not very easy. People still did move to Hokkaido in early 20th century, when many Japanese were unemployed farmers (they reclaimed the island), but nowadays, most Japanese are not farmers. Most of them don't have a good reason to move to Hokkaido, but to big cities.
You have no errors, seem very keen on this topic. Would you move over and live in Hokkaido? I would reccommed living near Sapporo, where there are many business people relocated from Honshu. Is one of your parents from Hokkaido? Or did you live there before?
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #179
ems
BANNED

Quote:
Lots of tourists from Taiwan, Korea, Hong Kong and Australia etc enjoy themselves at Hokkadio.
Lots of tourists? I've never seen them. Perhaps my village is too small.
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #180
mrgazpacho

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems View Post
Lots of tourists? I've never seen them. Perhaps my village is too small.
Maybe only during ski season...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: