daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2016, 11:09 AM   #1
孟天宝

Likes (Received): 76

DHAKA | Iconic Tower | 734m | 2408ft | 142 fl | Vision

This will easily be the tallest tower in Bangladesh - the highest building in the capital, Dhaka, is currently City Centre Bangladesh which stands at 171m and has 37 floors. I think it will also count as possibly the tallest tower in South Asia as only World One is under construction in Mumbai and it will top out at 442m and 117 floors. If built, it would be on par with Bangkok's Rama IX tower and Suzhou's Zhongnan Center. The only buildings to surpass it would lie far away in the Middle East - UAE's Burj Khalifa at 828m and Saudi Arabia's Jeddah Tower at 1000+m.

Some local news outlets have recently reported on it.

Muhith shares dream of building an iconic tower at Purbachal
Quote:
Originally Posted by June 2, 2016
Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith has shared a dream, which he has described as a ‘special pro-people growth-enhancing project’.

He proposed a Tk 3.14 trillion national budget for the 2016-17 fiscal in Parliament on Thursday.

During his budget speech, he told lawmakers, “You are aware that initiatives have already been taken to establish a separate metropolis covering Purbachal and its adjacent areas. We are contemplating a project under the PPP in the proposed metropolis.

“The project will comprise the construction of a 142-storied iconic tower with an international convention centre and a modern sports complex.”

He said the centre’s main auditorium will accommodate 5,000 people, while the main stadium of the sports complex will have a seating capacity of 50,000...
The capital to get 142-storey tower by 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by June 3, 2016
The government yesterday revealed a plan to construct the 142-storey Iconic Tower with an international convention centre and a modern sports complex in the proposed Purbachal Metropolis.

The dream project, which would be built under a public-private partnership, is expected to be complete by 2018....
Bangladesh to sign deal with US firm Kali Pradip Chaudhury Group for 142-storied building
Quote:
Originally Posted by June 11, 2016
The work to build the much-discussed 142-storied ‘iconic tower’ dreamed by Finance Minister AMA Muhith has seen significant progress.

Capital Dhaka’s developer Rajdhani Unnayan Kartripakkha (RAJUK) has already fixed a place and made a plan for the tallest building in South Asia.

US-based construction firm KPC Group is going to get the job to build the tower at Purbachal New Town project.

Bangladeshi-origin Kali Pradip Chaudhury, the founder and chairman of KPC, is now in Dhaka leading a team to sign the deal with the government....
Strangely enough, I found out about this on Wikipedia of all places.

The Iconic Tower page has no pictures unfortunately, but most of the information is from articles from six months ago. The only thing the recent articles will confirm is that it will have 142 floors. The height is only a guess, but one article stated it was over 2000 feet, so I'm guessing it counts as megatall. I've also put it as approved because it appears the government has indeed approved and is looking for tenders.

I've never been to Bangladesh, but I know when I was in Vietnam I visited the Bitexco Tower in HCMC and Landmark 72 and Lotte Tower in Hanoi. While the towers were rather striking, they were like redwoods in a forest of shrubs. The view from the top was rather certainly wide-ranging, but there wasn't much to see. Hope this "Iconic Tower" gets some cousins.

Zaz965, Sasha 74, Federation2014 liked this post
孟天宝 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #2
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

I think the hundreds of millions that are spent on this tower could be way better invested in some of the issues of the country...

Ch.W, Rob, Garbo, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #3
AbidM

Likes (Received): 1338

These are the renders found on BDNEWS24 pages. (The last link) It seems as though there is a water-lily, mughal esque design with a slight twist in the tower like that of the shanghai tower.

BANGLADESH TOWER by Abid M, on Flickr

BANGLADESH TOWER 2 by Abid M, on Flickr
"We're all victims of the architect. Architecture is the only art that you can't help but feel. You can avoid paintings, you can avoid music, and you can even avoid history. But good luck getting away from architecture." - Humans of New York
AbidM está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 03:59 PM   #4
AbidM

I doubt it will happen and if it does I'd be utterly astonished.
"We're all victims of the architect. Architecture is the only art that you can't help but feel. You can avoid paintings, you can avoid music, and you can even avoid history. But good luck getting away from architecture." - Humans of New York

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old June 12th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #5
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Didn't know you could render towers on the Atari 2600.

Gabriel900, AbidM, INFERNAL ELF, Ch.W, DubaiM and 17 others liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #6
AbidM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Didn't know you could render towers on the Atari 2600.
Shh, it's abundantly clear that we are not technologically advanced, another reason for my dismissal of such a tower being built, i'd rather they built multiple 40-50 storey towers than a megatall, however in fairness I do believe the photo was taken during a board meeting.

EDIT: yah one funny fella!

Last edited by AbidM; June 12th, 2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old June 12th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #7
INFERNAL ELF

Location: Trondheim Trying to reach Someplace with Skyscrapers
Likes (Received): 159

id say the possibility for this being built in a Democracy, which also happens to be one of The poorer countries of the world is very slim. This is a country that still suffers from power Shortages and such and 30% of the population live below the international poverty line.

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

INFERNAL ELF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #8
CrystalPhoenix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
I think the hundreds of millions that are spent on this tower could be way better invested in some of the issues of the country...
/cough oil based economies

Last edited by CrystalPhoenix; June 14th, 2016 at 08:58 PM.
CrystalPhoenix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:27 PM   #9
alley cat
^-^_)

Likes (Received): 83092

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
The tower will create new jobs, thereby reducing poverty in the country.
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #10
anujmittal
Hey There...

Likes (Received): 630

I doubt whether it will actually be built. Reason is completely geographic.
Dhaka is prone to storms, cyclones, floods and entire country is sort of a delta.
Not a good idea. Rather make three 200-300m towers.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Savori_Paki liked this post
anujmittal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #11
alley cat
^-^_)

Likes (Received): 83092

In New York, similar conditions do not prevent build skyscrapers
Old June 13th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #12
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
The tower will create new jobs, thereby reducing poverty in the country.
What? Yea as if a huge firm which has enough money to rent space in that tower is just gonna take some poor people without education out of a slum and hire them That's not how it works.

It's just really unnecessary and the money should be spent on helping people and improving infrastructure, healthcare, education or whatever. I just think that the country is not in that stage yet..
Old June 13th, 2016, 11:57 PM   #13
AbidM

http://bdnews24.com/business/2016/06...dhaka-deferred

The Iconic Tower has been deferred until further notice, well that's not surprising, let's hope amendments can be made as soon as possible.

Old June 14th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #14
spidey7312
Pro Web Slinger

Likes (Received): 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
In New York, similar conditions do not prevent build skyscrapers
That's because New York has spent over a century learning how to do it.
I personally don't like this tower because it's just too tall. They should build it in Mumbai or Bankok instead.

spidey7312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 04:14 AM   #15
AbidM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey7312 View Post
That's because New York has spent over a century learning how to do it.
I personally don't like this tower because it's just too tall. They should build it in Mumbai or Bankok instead.
Let's not forget fazlur rahman khan, a pioneer in the modern skyscraper movement, a revolutionary for being the mastermind behind tubular design concept which is now widely used and famously so in the Burj Khalifa, he was a Bangladeshi. This is like us paying homage to the father of the modern skysraper.

mirzazeehan1989, Dhakaiya liked this post

Last edited by AbidM; June 14th, 2016 at 04:30 AM.
Old June 14th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #16
AbidM

Bangladesh (or more preciesly the regions of which cover the ethno-linguistic regions of Bengal) had a list of engineering feet under its name, the country (and region) is home to the somapura mahavihara, the largest Buddhist temple south of the Himalayas and the adina mosque, the largest mosque in the indian subcontinent. Let us not forget these accomplishments! I believe if we can build these we can build the skysraper.

Last edited by AbidM; June 14th, 2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old June 14th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #17
LeeighIam

Likes (Received): 149

Hmm not too sure bout building a megatall when there are other issues yet to be tackled by the city/country. No offense to people of Dhaka but this project does not make sense … unless Dhaka has plenty of mullah to build a white elephant.
LeeighIam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 03:51 AM   #18
Renegade_Bison

Likes (Received): 66

Is there enough demand for premium rent offices in Bangladesh?
There are a lot of question marks hanging over this. First is finance for such a project, second is the profitability of anything that gets built, third as has been said this is a country where a mega fall for the wealthy is a bit of a slap in the face for those down the road who can't put food on the table
Renegade_Bison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 04:47 AM   #19
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

I am 99% sure this project is a joke. Bedrock in Dhaka is deep underground, the city is prone to flooding and earthquake. The tallest building in Dhaka is not even 40 floors

Not even taking the airport height restriction (the airport is located within the city)

Yeah, this project is a marketing sham alright. A city which doesn't have a single 40 stories tower is building 140 stories...we need better jokes

xrtn2, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 01:39 PM   #20
sameer77

Likes (Received): 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
I am 99% sure this project is a joke. Bedrock in Dhaka is deep underground, the city is prone to flooding and earthquake. The tallest building in Dhaka is not even 40 floors

Not even taking the airport height restriction (the airport is located within the city)

Yeah, this project is a marketing sham alright. A city which doesn't have a single 40 stories tower is building 140 stories...we need better jokes

Be optimistic .

ollo liked this post
sameer77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote