daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2005, 10:50 PM   #101
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 22

UPtown UPdate
October 1st, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, well I went Uptown Waterloo today, and once again I was very surprised. Construction on the Town Square is garnering much attention. At the free Oktoberfest pancake breakfast and Barrel Races next weekend (which is usually at the Town Square but this year is moved to City Centre due to construction) I am sure some mention will be made of the changes and some excitement will be expressed. Once again, this year, Waterloo Town Square is a sponsor of Oktoberfest activities.

Anyways, digging for the foundations of the new office block on King St. was underway as I was Uptown today, and the work on the new parking lot (which will be hidden behind buildings) continues. The Willis Way facades are almost finished now, which is almost incredible, and the wires for signs and window/exterior finish details are beginning to happen. Exciting stuff! As well, Willis Way's sewers and underground sewer system have been finished.

The rest of Uptown was quite busy, which was also nice to see. The weather was nice, which meant numerous patio cafes were open and crowded. I am excited about hearing the feedback..! And perhaps next weekend the exteriors will go up on the Willis Way storefronts.

Compare the above with...

Last edited by SP!RE; October 24th, 2005 at 04:07 AM.
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:41 AM   #102
oceanmdx
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.

Likes (Received): 84

I was in Waterloo in late August and can't believe how fast things are progressing.

Thanks for your efforts.
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:12 AM   #103
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

The area that is to be turned into an outdoor market area (the ValuMart will be doing this... it's not typical ValuMart... it's the Uptown ValuMart ) is shown in the photos below. It'd be ever so nice if they could get that market started next summer!!!

It's very surprising that First Gulf has not modernized/downtown-ized the ValuMart section of the mall, but this is an improvement that will definitely come when the rest of the project is complete. The possibility for this section of the building is quite exciting, and my depiction shown below was only created (in a rush, too) to give a general idea for little things that would improve the area significantly. However, a more open and airy redevelopment with much use of large windows is more likely.

Last edited by SP!RE; October 4th, 2005 at 04:06 AM.
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #104
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

UPtown UPdate
October 5th, 2005

Okay, Block C's design has been unveiled... here is the rendering and some facts. Generally, I am very disappointed in its design after seeing the other concepts (which were similar but better) for this stretch of King St...

Official Rendering:

Facts:
-located corner of Willis Way and King St.
-75,000 square feet
-RBC Financial Group is the anchor tenant (currently situated in downtown Kitchener)
-construction begins in December
-first floor consists of lobby, office tenants, and retail uses
-separated from Block D by a pedestrian walkway
Old October 6th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #105
Tri-City Guy

Likes (Received): 3

They've released the final plans for the UW campus in downtown Kitchener which was on the telly. Waiting for a picky to hit the paper and I'll post. Its much taller than I expected for a university building.
Tri-City Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #106
oceanmdx

^ Beat you to it:

http://www.bulletin.uwaterloo.ca/2005/oct/04tu.html
Old October 6th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #107
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

I will make a post about that development shortly.

Thanks for letting everyone know
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:29 AM   #108
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

UPtown UPdate
October 6th, 2005

Waterloo's newest and most exciting ever project! The BAUER SITE redevelopment!!!

http://www.bauerlofts.com/

New rendering of Block D shown today...

Last edited by SP!RE; October 7th, 2005 at 03:48 AM.
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #109
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

I love projects that converts a warehouse into lofts.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:31 AM   #110
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

The Bauer project is K-W's most popular currently.

The Bauer factories are being turned into restaurants, boutique shopping and offices, whereas the new building is where the condos are.

It's quite exciting and will make Uptown Waterloo's boundaries bigger and will add much to the Uptown in general... Our mayor is flipping pumped about it!!!
Old October 15th, 2005, 03:47 AM   #111
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Old October 16th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #112
aplz
Oh.

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-City Guy
They've released the final plans for the UW campus in downtown Kitchener which was on the telly. Waiting for a picky to hit the paper and I'll post. Its much taller than I expected for a university building.

Sexy! It's good to hear that big asphalt and dirt eyesore will be put to use.
Old October 16th, 2005, 04:26 AM   #113
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Guys, reply to the thread about THE BAUER BUILDINGS development in the Construction Updates section at the top of the SSC Main Page... let's make midsize/smaller cities known on SSC!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/editpo...post&p=5788803

Another very exciting redevelopment for Uptown Waterloo!
(Waterloo, Ontario, Canada Population 140,000)

The Development

Uptown Waterloo is undergoing a transformation and it’s all starting at the historic Bauer Industries building. Situated on the corner of King and Allen, this century-old address will soon host industrial-style loft residences, street front stores, indoor markets and continue its tradition of housing Waterloo’s dynamic business community.

The Bauer Lofts are at the heart of the Bauer Buildings, a vibrant urban destination that’s more than just a residential community. Stroll along pedestrian walkways that once served as thoroughfares weaving through the original Bauer Industries complex. Browse through popular stores and boutiques that will occupy the renovated original building. Experience an indoor market filled with fresh, organic produce and specialty food shops. Day or night, the Bauer Buildings will spoil you for choice.

Whether it’s where you live or work, shop or entertain the Bauer Buildings are destined to become a popular uptown neighbourhood.
The Bauer Buildings. Where you want to be.

The Lofts

Live and entertain in a modern loft space where signature architecture meets industrial design. Come home to a bright, open-concept loft space with 10 foot high ceilings and a spectacular 8 foot high entrance door.
Loft sizes range from 600 to 1200 square feet and are offered in a variety of floor plans including one bedroom, one bedroom with den, two bedroom and two bedroom with two full bathrooms and den. The inside of the units also feature 8 foot high pocket doors.

Whether you’re preparing a snack or a sumptuous five-course meal, you’ll enjoy the well-appointed bistro style kitchen with center island and stylishly modern cabinetry. Let daily stress drift away as you unwind in a spa-like bathroom. Enjoy the view from your private terrace as many of the lofts overlook the open courtyard of the Bauer Buildings.
Destined to become a coveted address, the distinctive loft residences stylishly blend the old with the new creating a versatile and intimate space.

Choose the floor plan that suits your lifestyle and enjoy the luxury of the Bauer Lofts standard features. You can also customize your space with a variety of upgradeable finishes and features. The decision is yours. After all it's your life. Your loft.

(Floor plans will soon be available on the website, along with a list of custom finishes. Register now for priority previewing of model suites.)

The Marketplace

The Bauer Buildings on the corner of King and Allen Streets are surrounded by many of the uptown landmarks and attractions and are nearby an abundance of area amenities. The Bauer Buildings themselves, however, will be home to a collection of Waterloo feature shops, boutiques, and restaurants. Most notable, the Bauer Buildings will be highlighted by an indoor marketplace that will not only serve the residents of the Bauer Lofts but is sure to become a popular destination for all of Waterloo.

Your loft overlooks an outdoor promenade brimming with possibility. Step outside your door to shop in popular boutiques. Dine out in your favourite restaurants or grab a coffee and snack to go at the local gourmet cafe.
Retreat to the indoor marketplace to find the freshest meats and cheeses or discover distinctive antipastos in an exclusive specialty food shop. Select your produce from a rich assortment of organic fruits and vegetables at the open-concept fresh food market.

Live in this historic neighbourhood and discover the vibrant lifestyle of a dynamic community. Be a part of the last redevelopment opportunity on an original Waterloo industrial site.

Renderings:

Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:24 AM   #114
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Okay some update photos for Uptown... the exteriors on the Willis Way shops are going up (hence the scaffolding), and Willis Way is all done in terms of sewer work... the shops will be quite attractive, and landscaped and pedestrian-friendly 5-metre sidewalks with street furniture and lamps will only add to it. 13 new stores opening throughout November...

Old October 22nd, 2005, 08:30 PM   #115
goravens
07 Champs

Likes (Received): 1

nice update! Waterloo is gonna have a way nicer downtown than Kitchener!!! Now all we need is some skyscrapers that aren't insurance buildings! are you a planning student at UW Sp!re?
goravens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 12:03 AM   #116
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

I'm a Toronto guy actually, but I visit Waterloo regularly. I love Uptown, it's so cute!

Last edited by thryve; February 18th, 2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 12:05 AM   #117
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

BREAKING NEWS 700 More New Residential Units for Uptown Waterloo!
October 22, 2005

Announced as of today officially, Auburn Development Corp. of London, Ontario will soon reveal a mixed-use "homes and apartment buildings" development propsal on the Canbar Lands- the last major industrial site to be transformed in Uptown Waterloo. This will definitely bring business to the area's shops, and will create a more balanced neighbourhood demographic to the area and more vibrancy, for sure.

Last edited by SP!RE; October 23rd, 2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old October 24th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #118
oceanmdx

Thanks for the update. That lot could also have been developed into a hotel, but the residential development is also very good.
Old October 24th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #119
Tri-City Guy

Likes (Received): 3

I think the new library planned for the centre block in Kitchener plus the two university campuses will inject much life into its centre. I wouldn't worry too much about downtown Kitchener as it has plenty of loft conversions happening so it too will come along like Waterloo. It's the same with Galt since UW opened there. It was deader than a doornail before. Galt also has the advantage of great historic buildings in its core. Kitchener in contrast is more like a northern English city - lots of red brick and loft potential but its still on the up and up. If Manchester can't gentrify so can Kitchener. Besides it has a rather dark, satantic quality about it which makes it stand out from your typical SW Ontario cities. Kitchener is less small town and more urban than its neighbors.

As for Waterloo, the big thing it needs now is a hotel downtown. It needs something big in the centre and this region is terribly short on quality hotels. Yes, we have a Delta, Radisson and a Holiday Inn. Still we could do better. I still think the Waterloo Inn is the regions biggest corporate hotel. Thats pretty sad really, especially considering its rather suburban setting near Conestoga Mall & Expressway.
Tri-City Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 12:17 AM   #120
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

" It needs something big in the centre "

What makes you feel that Uptown Waterloo 'needs' another big project? .. just out of curiosity.

But, yes, downtown Kitchener is getting much better and it will pick up sooo much more.. I should report more about Kitchener too, I think.