daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #121
oceanmdx
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.

Likes (Received): 84

Good idea.

Kitchener is finally getting better, but it has a much further way to go than Waterloo, not that Waterloo is all that great either.

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #122
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 22

Yes, they both need some continued development. However, don't underestimate the power of...

Downtown Kitchener:
-two university campuses + a new tower
-numerous loft developments
-new market (well, sort of new.. gaining popularity) and the Market District
-better public spaces
-new downtown library on Centre Block

Uptown Waterloo:
-Canbar Lands residential development
-Waterloo Town Square
-The Bauer Buildings
-continued development on Seagrams Lands

It will be interesting to see how much these development projects boost the area...

Last edited by thryve; October 27th, 2005 at 02:19 AM.
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #123
Tri-City Guy

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryve
" It needs something big in the centre "

What makes you feel that Uptown Waterloo 'needs' another big project? .. just out of curiosity.

But, yes, downtown Kitchener is getting much better and it will pick up sooo much more.. I should report more about Kitchener too, I think.

Uptown has lots of stuff but I still have to go to Conestoga Mall most times. I suppose if your rich though you can live on boutique shopping. Just wish it had more 'pull' to it. The cinema's are good. I can like without Hollywood movies. I just mean its lacking in certain respects. It's not like I can go downtown to buy socks and underwear for example. My grandma might manage but unless I want rubber underwear at the Stag Shop I'd be pretty much screwed. Actually that sounded bad. LOL Oh what I'm I talking about this is Waterloo, NOT Kitchener. Like I'd ever get screwed in Waterloo, like really. hehe Yeah, like that will happen when the NDP form the federal government.

Anyway, back to my shopping complaining. Uptown is great if your well heeled but its not exactly poor student friendly. Maybe alright for students from Toronto kept by the parents visa card; but they don't exactly want Ma & Pa Walmart shopper in the core it would seem. Anyway, I'm neither Bargin Village nor boutique silvertail boy. Waterloo is getting too chi chi for me as a mere student. I mean we don't even have a McDonalds because the closest Uptown gets to slumming is a Subway & Tim Horten's franchise.

Uptown is great for a $5 gelati and a Spanish film but still it lacks in everyday items to draw more people. I miss that old Zellers. Wasn't it a Zellers - like way back when - probably before most of your time. I'm 36, so I tend to remember Waterloo Town Square back when it was actually buzzing and full of shops. You needed tiolet paper you went downtown. You wanted a CD you went downtown. Everything was downtown! Speaking of shopping I even remember when the relatively central Westmount Mall was a BIG deal. Now its nothing more than a Dairy Queen with an Insurance Office attached! lol Be nice if it just had something for the mere masses. I hate being restricted to malls in the suburbs.

I don't drive yet I'm forced to bus it to the burbs TO BUY THINGS. Strangely even in Kitchener I had to go to the suburbs for groceries. Sure there is a market but its hardly Zehrs and the hours aren't exactly great for most mere mortals THAT WORK. I can't wait for the day when Kitchener-Waterloo caters to people like me - people that don't own cars. In this city - I know, that's a totally bizzare concept. If you don't drive in this town, people look at your like some unfortunate thing with brain cancer. Oh you poor dear. Your in Waterloo - your must drive - its wrong not too! God! I live for the day when drive thru banks and donut shops are totally frowned upon in this town.

The city needs more urban creatures like me. Get that darn LRT built and quite merely talking about it. I think the LRT will help better "shape" the city. For infrastructure ALONE its worth the money. This region needs shaping..... in an dense urban way. Besides, I don't want a loft apartment in Uptown Waterloo - only to have visit suburban Conestoga Mall every single time I run out of dish soap or tiolet paper. It basics like that where Uptown sucks supreme.
ps. And no I can't survive on the Shoppers Drug Mart & Valuemart alone. Uptown Waterloo certainly needs more still. It was more exciting in the 1970's but I see no reason to be ok with that. Downtown should hummmmmm

Last edited by Tri-City Guy; October 27th, 2005 at 04:18 AM.
Tri-City Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #124
goravens
07 Champs

Likes (Received): 1

great post tri-city-guy!!!

what KW really needs is this:
http://www.grmonorail.ca/

or Skytrain tech instead of at grade light rail (imo). Unless the light rail has exclusive ROW. If it's on-street, why not just keep the express 101 buses.
goravens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:50 AM   #125
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

"Uptown has lots of stuff but I still have to go to Conestoga Mall most times. I suppose if your rich though you can live on boutique shopping."

Actually, it won't be boutique shopping @ Town Square... the idea is a large department store feel with every service and thing you need in one place... not to argue, I just mean for your benefit to keep that in mind

As well it's easy to look on any time back in the past and remember it as the 'good old days' but Uptown was far smaller and was horrible in other peoples' opinions... however, it's swinging back into a place where you can get anything... but without the K-Mart or Liquidation World which is shameful for a downtown. There are plenty of other places Uptown to buy your toilet paper. And underwear?.. you should tell some clothes store Uptown to start stocking their shelves...

Last edited by thryve; October 28th, 2005 at 02:59 AM.
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #126
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Okay, here's the scoop- my photo hosting site completely crashed and I lost all my photos in my account. I could get all angry in the comfort of my home because I lost some digital photos while children in the third world starve, but I have decided to slowly rebuild the collection of pictures.

Anyways, I am going to post some photos below for those who are interested but have noticed that all the photos on the previous pages are red X's now.

The new shops along Willis Way. These shops' exteriors are almost done now:

The soon-to-be-constructed 115 King St...

The soon-to-be-constructed 95 King St...
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #127
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Demolition photos from all around the web... this mall was just one large love-hate affair...

Old October 29th, 2005, 06:07 AM   #128
Tri-City Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goravens
great post tri-city-guy!!!

what KW really needs is this:
http://www.grmonorail.ca/

or Skytrain tech instead of at grade light rail (imo). Unless the light rail has exclusive ROW. If it's on-street, why not just keep the express 101 buses.
Hey goravens
Interesting link there. I've seen the plans for the light rail but monorail would be interesting, might even suit the cities layout and geography better. If its more efficient it might be worth considering. However, my only concern about monorail would be how it would cope in winter and the cost. I'd image monorail would be more expensive than light rail. Could be wrong.

Thanks for that link. I live right by R&T Tech park so that planned route info was most interesting. Unfortunately I'm a bit further up towards Lakeshore so that new Express service falls short of serving this area.

What they need is an Express now from Congesta College to Conestoga Mall via Fisher Hallman via UW and Lakeshore & Northfield. Its a growing part of the city so I know that is the next express route that GRT have in the cards.
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #129
Tri-City Guy

As well it's easy to look on any time back in the past and remember it as the 'good old days' but Uptown was far smaller and was horrible in other peoples' opinions... however, it's swinging back into a place where you can get anything... but without the K-Mart or Liquidation World which is shameful for a downtown. There are plenty of other places Uptown to buy your toilet paper. And underwear?.. you should tell some clothes store Uptown to start stocking their shelves... [/QUOTE]

LOL Your must be straight! Your all so easily pleased. Just build a Shoppers Drug Mart and your shopping needs are met for life. I'm just kidding ya mate.

Call me greedy and god forbid honest, but with regards to selection Uptown Waterloo has a long way to go to become a 'Patula Clark' song.

Downtown I think NOT. hehe Small Town.... sure.

Seriously though, you can say it - you won't get tarred and feathered..its retail selection does lack something terrible.

Hell, the day they ever announce the opening of a Starbucks, GAP and Old Navy Uptown, well to be honest I'd probably have a stroke. I seriously hope the selection of stores does improve with the opening of the KMPG strip mall. It can ONLY get better.
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #130
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

They've already mentioned to the public that GAP, Old Navy etc. won't be opening in the Uptown until many many local tenants have been selected. We want to help ourselves by not relying on large chain stores like that.

It's hard to give up Conestoga Mall, but you can support Uptown Waterloo if you shift your tastes just a little to the less mainstream, however I realize most people would rather get that pair of shoes that they like most.

-thryve
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #131
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

November 3, 2005 Update:

-Willis Way paving starts soon
-brick and stucco going up on the 13 new storefronts
-interior fitting and entrance work beginning on new section

***New pics. up tomorrow
Old November 4th, 2005, 01:51 AM   #132
oceanmdx

Things are really coming together.
Old November 4th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #133
Tony
You Suck and That's Sad

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryve

OMG, the memories, the memories!!
Old November 5th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #134
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Haha, I know what you mean...
Old November 5th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #135
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

UPtown UPdate
November 5th, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The painting of the stucco isn't done, and the entrance's "hat" isn't complete either, but the shops along the soon-to-be Willis Way are almost finished... it's really exciting!

In my latest visit to Uptown Waterloo, I ventured onto the construction site and got exclusive close-up shots of the Town Square... there are many many many but I will post a select few tomorrow.

As well... exciting news... contrary to my prior knowledge- THE FOUNDATIONS FOR THE OFFICE BUILDING ARE ALMOST DONE!

Enjoi~ thryve

Last edited by thryve; November 7th, 2005 at 05:54 AM.
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #136
goravens
07 Champs

Likes (Received): 1

the future?
goravens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 03:18 AM   #137
oceanmdx

LOL. We can only dream.
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #138
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

UPtown UPdate
November 7th, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The shops along the soon-to-be Willis Way (a new street) are almost complete, with tenants soon to take over construction. Meanwhile, in the last photo, you can see the foundations going in for the new office building.

Old November 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #139
ldoto
Londoner

uptown update

Please stop with the uptown update
ldoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #140
oceanmdx

Actually, it's you who ought to stop telling us about phonie future auto plants in the London area (ie. Honda).

Anyway, London shouldn't hog all the attention.