daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2016, 02:23 PM   #1
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1767

TORONTO | 8 Elm | 260m | 80 fl | Pro

Data retrieved from the contributors of Urban Toronto.

8 ELM ST
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

Rezoning Application for proposed mixed-use building containing 938 residential units and office space on the second and third floors
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 16 189782 STE 27 OZ Jul 13, 2016 Under Review

Seoul_Korea, tius86, Patrick Highrise liked this post
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2016, 01:33 AM   #2
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

I'm a little tired of these glass boxes but am warming up to this one. The floor plate to height ratio is eye catching while the oscillation up the entire height on both sides could look elegant.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:32 AM   #3
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1767

Marco Polo, Taller, Better liked this post
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 01:06 AM   #4
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

Love it!

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:09 PM   #5
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3184

Fantastic!!!!
Munwon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:15 PM   #6
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 123

Not a snowflake's chance in hell that this will get approved.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:36 PM   #7
Asparuhce
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Asparuhce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:56 PM   #8
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaborandi View Post
Not a snowflake's chance in hell that this will get approved.
Agree. It goes well beyond the City's comfort level with density. It would probably be a commercial success if allowed however. It will be a while before the culture in Toronto is ready for density like this.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; September 23rd, 2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:15 PM   #9
Jaborandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree. It goes well beyond the City's comfort level with density. It would probably be a commercial success if allowed however. I don't think the culture in the city is ready for density like this.
It actually goes way beyond my own comfort level. If it included restoration of the Arts and Letters Club and the two neighbouring Victorian commercial buildings on Yonge Street, I might perhaps be more disposed to approve it. As it is, it just sort of overwhelms the street. Since it is obvious that the City would never sanction it as proposed, one has to assume that what the developer really wants in the end is something in the 40 – 50 storey range and this is just a ploy. Kind of like sending in the shock troops before the battle is joined.

Last edited by Jaborandi; September 23rd, 2016 at 11:22 PM.
Jaborandi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:31 PM   #10
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
It actually goes way beyond my own comfort level. If it included restoration of the Arts and Letters Club and the two neighbouring Victorian commercial buildings on Yonge Street, I might perhaps be more disposed to approve it. As it is, it just sort of overwhelms the street. Since it is obvious that the City would never sanction it as proposed, one has to assume that what the developer really wants in the end is something in the 40 – 50 storey range and this is just a ploy.
Your discomfort with that level of density is probably quite common. There are other people in Toronto who don't understand the appeal of living downtown. They grew up in a time when downtown was for work but one lived in a house with a yard. My dentist is like that.

Toronto is changing so fast and it's normal there are limits to what a population will accept. That said, the younger generation growing up in this boom likely won't have the same reservations about sky high density that others do.

You might be right that the developer wants 50 floors so asked for 80. A tit for tat game often plays out between interest groups and renovating the heritage properties would surely be on the table. That said, something like this will likely have to wait till the next generation takes power in Toronto.

My comfort level with density is higher than most Torontonians but I have my limits as well. I wouldn't want a 700m building downtown. Not now anyway. Maybe in 20-30 years I'll re-assess that.

Last edited by isaidso; September 23rd, 2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old September 24th, 2016, 12:24 AM   #11
Jaborandi

Quote:
Your discomfort with that level of density is probably quite common. There are other people in Toronto who don't understand the appeal of living downtown. They grew up in a time when downtown was for work but one lived in a house with a yard. My dentist is like that.

Toronto is changing so fast and it's normal there are limits to what a population will accept. That said, the younger generation growing up in this boom likely won't have the same reservations about sky high density that others do.

You might be right that the developer wants 50 floors so asked for 80. A tit for tat game often plays out between interest groups and renovating the heritage properties would surely be on the table. That said, something like this will likely have to wait till the next generation takes power in Toronto.

My comfort level with density is higher than most Torontonians but I have my limits as well. I wouldn't want a 700m building downtown. Not now anyway. Maybe in 20-30 years I'll re-assess that.
I live right downtown and have absolutely no problem with sky high density at all, at all, but not density at any cost anywhere. It is quite uncharacteristic of me to be against a development but that doesn't preclude me from objecting when I think it is warranted. This whole proposal doesn't pass the smell test. I would have no objection if they were to propose the same building for the north east corner of Yonge & Gerrard, just not on Elm Street.
Old September 24th, 2016, 02:47 AM   #12
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
I live right downtown and have absolutely no problem with sky high density at all, at all, but not density at any cost anywhere. It is quite uncharacteristic of me to be against a development but that doesn't preclude me from objecting when I think it is warranted. This whole proposal doesn't pass the smell test. I would have no objection if they were to propose the same building for the north east corner of Yonge & Gerrard, just not on Elm Street.
Yes, I assumed your objection was due to the preservation of Elm rather than aversion to density itself. It does make me wonder how this differs from what transpired with Five Condos though. That was built behind old Victorian row houses and their renovation was part of the project. Wouldn't this be in that same vein or is it that people want some streets left entirely unaltered so that the feel of them stays the same?

I understand the interest in that but not sure if it's realistic or even preferable. Cities need to continually re-invent themselves or they'll become functionally obsolete. Even Union Station wasn't immune. As long as preservation is done tastefully and respectfully it should be a win-win proposition.

Old September 24th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #13
Jaborandi

Quote:
It does make me wonder how this differs from what transpired with Five Condos though. That was built behind old Victorian row houses and their renovation was part of the project. Wouldn't this be in that same vein or is it that people want some streets left entirely unaltered so that the feel of them stays the same?.
Not sure that Five is an apt comparison. Five maintains not only a respectful distance but also deference to the historical component. 8 Elm treats the historical building like an overbearing master mistreats a skivvy. As for Elm Street itself, it is already shagged to buggery by the Minto Complex and the hotel not to mention the nondescript affordable housing on the south side of the street. Since one third of the street level historical facade will become a garage door for the loading dock, 8 Elm comes off as mere opportunism. It would be kinder to just tear it down but let's not get me started on that!
Old September 25th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #14
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Nice that this plan keeps the current buildings facade. This is a very slender tower though with that height.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 11:58 PM   #15
Jaborandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Nice that this plan keeps the current buildings facade. This is a very slender tower though with that height.
Well, sort of.
Old September 28th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #16
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 804

Aside from a façade retention, is the developer offering any community benefit to downtown Toronto as part of the project?
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 12:24 AM   #17
Al-Z

Likes (Received): 41

Apparently the initial project was rejected by city council, and it looks like the developers are trying their luck with the OMB. Good luck getting this approved.
Al-Z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 07:08 AM   #18
isaidso
the new republic

Taller buildings are proposed across the street and adjacent to the north but it won't help them.

Old March 6th, 2017, 10:15 PM   #19
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Z View Post
Apparently the initial project was rejected by city council, and it looks like the developers are trying their luck with the OMB. Good luck getting this approved.
Hopefully with a better design. This is just a weird contraption, especially the base.
Anayway, I do like the size and slenderness. It would fit here quite well IMO.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote