daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #61
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat
What a bizarre design, the Montreal Olympic stadium meets the London Eye!

This will rank as one of the really dumb projects proposed in this era, it would be incredibly questionable to waste the world's resources building anything as ridiculous as this! Who is the great mind behind this?
Spot on, nice but quirky-looking design, one that i find a complete waste of money. Generally observation wheels are unsightly and imo uninteresting - I would have thought the UAE could come up with something more interesting or invest the money in something with purpose.

Last edited by Avatar; March 25th, 2005 at 06:59 AM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #62
Yoyogi
\\\\\ 幸 /////

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
Spot on, nice but quirky-looking design, one that i find a complete waste of money. Generally observation wheels are unsightly and imo uninteresting - I would have thought the UAE could come up with something more interesting or invest the money in something with purpose.
Thanks for your opinion on the asthetics of observation wheels Avatar, but I really don't understand your deep hatred of them?! Did you have some bad experience on a ferris wheel or something when you were a kid? Have you ever been to London and seen the London Eye? Have you ever seen the ferris wheels in Tokyo or Yokohama Japan all lit up at night? Probably not.....
Yoyogi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #63
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

I didn't say I hated the London Eye. I just said that generally I found them unsightly and wasn't in favour if them. Is there any real need for one in Abu-Dhabi, I don't think so. They could spend the money better on something different and more interesting IMO.

At least however they have attempted to be a little more original with the design of the support structure for the wheel, which is different from most other observation wheels around.

Yes I have seen the London Eye so don't make generalisations about my depth and travel experience. Anyway my comments were not derrogatory simply expressing an opinion. I am hardly the most critical within this thread.

The only real complaints I had against them were when they were attempting to build one in Melbourne, which was again not necessary. Most still take their aesthetic cues from themepark rides - I don't think that most have a fair place within the city skylines. If well executed they can look quite ok, rather more innocuous than a blight on the landscape but this depends on context, location and design.

BTW... Did you make this new registration to hide behing your opinions? With only 2 posts and an assumed knowldge of me it's rather immature not mention borish, if you did.

Last edited by Avatar; March 25th, 2005 at 09:14 AM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #64
Yoyogi
\\\\\ 幸 /////

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
I didn't say I hated the London Eye. I just said that generally I found them unsightly and wasn't in favour if them. Is there any real need for one in Abu-Dhabi, I don't think so. They could spend the money better on something different and more interesting IMO.

At least however they have attempted to be a little more original with the design of the support structure for the wheel, which is different from most other observation wheels around.

Yes I have seen the London Eye so don't make generalisations about my depth and travel experience. Anyway my comments were not derrogatory simply expressing an opinion. I am hardly the most critical within this thread.

The only real complaints I had against them were when they were attempting to build one in Melbourne, which was again not necessary. Most still take their aesthetic cues from themepark rides - I don't think that most have a fair place within the city skylines. If well executed they can look quite ok, rather more innocuous than a blight on the landscape but this depends on context, location and design.

BTW... Did you make this new registration to hide behing your opinions? With only 2 posts and an assumed knowldge of me it's rather immature not mention borish, if you did.
Avatar, I didn't say that you hated the London Eye, I simply asked if you had seen it (or any other ones for that matter) to give some credibility to your statement that they are 'unsightly'. Don't twist my words!
I've read enough of your posts (since about 2000) to know that you don't like them. Yes I remember that Melbourne thread. Boy did you kick up a stink! Now that was BOORISH!
Anyway, the fact that I've only posted twice on this thread is irrelevant! I don't feel the need to be logged on here every day commenting about this or that, trying to throw my opinions onto others. I'd prefer to just know what's going on in my city and around the world. But I guess when I saw your tired old comments today I just wanted to say something. That's it....Goodbye!
Yoyogi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #65
Dr. Dubai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

stunning project! maybe something for Rotterdam too
Dr. Dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #66
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 172

They should use the money to build something else, Abu Dhabi is a beautiful city, it should invest in less "loud" things, maybe a classy museum would do nicely.

Don't get me wrong here, I also don't want the Singapore Flyer!
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #67
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

from today's news

Firms working on $150m entertainment project
BY HASEEB HAIDER

25 March 2005

ABU DHABI — To add more tourist attractions in the city, three companies are working on plans to construct a 600-feet tall vertical revolving vehicle — the Voyager Wheel and Condo Complex costing $150 million.

The entertainment project would be the first of its kind in the Middle East which will provide entertainment to UAE residents as well as foreign tourists.

The Voyager wheel and Condo Complex is being termed as a leap forward in terms of pushing the engineering and design envelopes.

According to details, Voyager Entertainment International, an entertainment development company has signed a joint venture agreement with Allied Investment House (AIH) to construct a 600 feet Observation Wheel.

The tall high-tech attraction would have the capacity to entertain 7.5 million guests annually, with each Observation Wheel consisting of 30 Orbitors seating 20 passengers and making a complete revolution approximately every 27 minutes. Allied Investment House will provide Voyager 100 per cent of the project financing up to $150 million. While Voyager will design, construct and manage the project.

A company is being registered which will acquire suitable land, and developing, constructing and operating a 600 feet vertical revolving vehicle and related entertainment facilities, restaurants and condominium facilities.

Paul Steelman Design Group has modified the Voyager Observation Wheel to incorporate additional retail, specialty Orbitor Cars and custom residential condominiums within the wheel superstructure.

Additional hotel and other structures will also be phased in to the overall master plan.

Allied Investment House have been working with their strategic partner Bin Salem Group based in Abu Dhabi, to finance since negotiations began between Allied and Voyager.

The Bin Salem Group, is a conglomerate based in Abu Dhabi with wide interests in real-estate, medical technologies, education, landscaping, cosmetics, hospitality, construction, and engineering.
Old March 25th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #68
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3392

Somehow this thing reminds me of a ScieFic weapon.

It must be really impressive to see this in real when it`s build.
Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #69
D_Y2k.2^

Likes (Received): 310

looks like war of the worlds:P great design!Looks so futuristic>Dubai nv end in projects!
D_Y2k.2^ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #70
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1545

Hmmm... I'll reserve judgement on this crazy project!
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #71
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

lol some guys...

great project. i am really curious about the height...
150m? don't know...what is the biggest at the moment?
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #72
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

london eye is 135m
Old March 25th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #73
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

check the website
www.voyager-ent.com
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #74
SUNNI

Likes (Received): 31

looks like something from Final Fantasy 8
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #75
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Thats looks over the top but looks mint.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #76
Cliff
Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai-Lover
check the website
www.voyager-ent.com
WOW! That site is sooooooo cool!!!
Old March 26th, 2005, 05:49 AM   #77
Cliff
Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worlds of Earth
Thats 10m higher that the Singapore Flyer...
right.

but here's something to think about, the diameter of the two will be the same, 150m.
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #78
huit

Likes (Received): 183

Great Project!!! I think this would've complemented Burj Dubai well had they planned it for Dubai!
huit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #79
FK

Likes (Received): 1284

Im sure its just a matter of a few months before Dubai gets it too
FK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #80
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

hang on..I remember Shanghai and/or Qingdao wanted to have the tallest ferris wheel
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote