daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #121
Aboveday

Likes (Received): 11

amazing !
Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #122
Lightning~Bolt
Proud "Pricktorian"

Likes (Received): 16

and what exaclty do you "observe" with this wheel?? sandcastles and palm trees??
Lightning~Bolt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #123
birminghamculture
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Its a great design, But I dont think Londerners have anything to worry about - London has just far to many historic and important sites to view then any other city where a Wheel is going up.

Its a shame people cant be original though - Birmingham was planning a wheel and through pressure of copying London they've decided to re-design a unique and original landmark, which I prefer by far.
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:35 PM   #124
zigmonster

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by birminghamculture
Its a shame people cant be original though - Birmingham was planning a wheel and through pressure of copying London they've decided to re-design a unique and original landmark, which I prefer by far.
I think it was more that thousands of people had been on the temporary wheels in birmingham and thus they'd be less likely to keep going on a new permanent one.

I don't think you should of criticised Abu Dhabi for not having much to look at compared to London...that sounds a lot like what people said about the birmingham proposals and you thought they'd be good...i bet the view from their wheel will look better than ours
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #125
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning~Bolt
and what exaclty do you "observe" with this wheel?? sandcastles and palm trees??
Among zillions of other things
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #126
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
Among zillions of other things
correct, this one will very liekly be located in the heart of dubailand, the world's largest leisure parks with offices, loads of hotels and residences

in other words, you will overlook the whole park, if the sky is clear, you can see a great part of dubai and its amazing skylines

and the park itself will cost more than $100bn, so i guess there also are a lot of spectacular things to overlook like the mall of arabia, the restless planet dome, hundreds of towers, the biggest skidome ever with the iceberg towers , a formula 1 race track, the beautiful desert,........
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #127
birminghamculture
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigmonster
I think it was more that thousands of people had been on the temporary wheels in birmingham and thus they'd be less likely to keep going on a new permanent one.

I don't think you should of criticised Abu Dhabi for not having much to look at compared to London...that sounds a lot like what people said about the birmingham proposals and you thought they'd be good...i bet the view from their wheel will look better than ours
Actually the reason why the developers choose not to pursue the idea of a Birmingham Wheel was that the Council has already made the one in centeneray square permenent. The was no need for 2 wheels.

Secondly, I didnt criticise Abu Dhabi. Of course its got things to look at, What I was trying to say is that London has so many more world recognised landmarks etc then anywhere else planning a giant wheel. This alone is what people pay to see.
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #128
birminghamculture
BANNED

P.S I also think UAE is building to much to quickly. Its not as good as its made out to be, It can have serious side affects.
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #129
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I hated this project at first but now since it's in dubailand it's way better IMO
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #130
zigmonster

Quote:
Actually the reason why the developers choose not to pursue the idea of a Birmingham Wheel was that the Council has already made the one in centeneray square permenent. The was no need for 2 wheels.
The Centenery Square Wheel is being dismantled on Feb 28th 2006. It's not permanent...
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #131
birminghamculture
BANNED

Quote:
The Centenery Square Wheel is being dismantled on Feb 28th 2006. It's not permanent...
There be asking for an extension until they have enough money to purchase it - P.S Its been there for 4 years come 2006.
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #132
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

that project looks very nice and huge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will be a great landmark, and will be a main reason for lots of poeple to visit that city !!!

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #133
zigmonster

Quote:
There be asking for an extension until they have enough money to purchase it - P.S Its been there for 4 years come 2006.
It hasn't been there for years at all! It went up Winter 2004, it's not even been there 1 year! The year before that there was the old Paris wheel which is now in Manchester and that was only there for about 4 months.

Anyway, we're off topic now so back to Abu Dhabi!
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #134
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

can a mod change the thread title please?

this project is no longer in abu dhabi but in dubai!!!
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #135
birminghamculture
BANNED

Quote:
It hasn't been there for years at all! It went up Winter 2004, it's not even been there 1 year! The year before that there was the old Paris wheel which is now in Manchester and that was only there for about 4 months.

Anyway, we're off topic now so back to Abu Dhabi!
Actually Buddy, The first time the wheel came to Birmingham was end of 2002/2003 It came back in 2003/2004 where its stayed due to popular demand. This ones license, which is the new ferris wheel ends on Febuary 2006, but the council have already been in discussions to continue its lease for another year until they can finance the purchase of it.

Anyway how the hell did this conversation start. This is about the Dubai Wheel, not the poxy little ferris wheel in Birmingham
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:14 PM   #136
caw123
Hit the north!

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Anyway how the hell did this conversation start. This is about the Dubai Wheel, not the poxy little ferris wheel in Birmingham
When you said ''Its a shame people cant be original though - Birmingham was planning a wheel and through pressure of copying London they've decided to re-design a unique and original landmark, which I prefer by far.''

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #137
birminghamculture
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by caw123
When you said ''Its a shame people cant be original though - Birmingham was planning a wheel and through pressure of copying London they've decided to re-design a unique and original landmark, which I prefer by far.''
Yep that was just stating, that I prefer originality - had no coherence with the Birmingham wheel, It could off been passed by like water of a ducks back but instead ...

Quote:
Which is incorrect because Birmingham City council are planning to buy the wheel instead - Had to correct him did I not.
Old June 14th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #138
zigmonster

just once more off topic

Quote:
Had to correct him did I not.
I guess, in the same way i have to reply. Now i'm only doing this because i'm confident that i'm correcting a mistake, and should i ever be on Who Wants to be a Millionaire i'd gamble the money on this. thus if i'm wrong, i'll be confused and broke...

"Actually Buddy, The first time the wheel came to Birmingham was end of 2002/2003 It came back in 2003/2004 where its stayed due to popular demand."

Now, unless my memory decieves me, the wheel was in paris in 2002. it arrived in brum 2003 as seen here http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/feat...am_wheel.shtml. It was successful, and is now in manchester (or at least was over christmas). The one we have opened in 2004 and was brand new. Now unless there was a third wheel which escaped my knowledge (which is possible, i do loose track of time) this is the history of the birmingham centenary square wheel.

Either way it really doesn't matter, what i should of stated was

"i love this wheel...be it built in Abu Dhabi or Dubai"

....and if they don't want it, build it in birmingham.
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #139
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai-Lover
can a mod change the thread title please?

this project is no longer in abu dhabi but in dubai!!!

scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #140
yazan
there somewhere

Likes (Received): 0

well, i lived in dubai, and visited abu-zabbi, and believe me, i found nothing to love or hate, as an architect, i thing dubai, and abu-zabbi are architectural failer, there is no archiectural character that can be felt, not even cultural, its a big mall, factory and hotal, but there isn't art musiem, or library, so its not a wonder why they try to build teh biggest or tallest. its that they don't have anything else to give...
yazan no está en línea   Reply With Quote