daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #1
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9407

ISRAEL | High Speed Rail

High-Speed Train Linking Tel Aviv, Ben Gurion Airport, and Jerusalem to Launch in 2018

Service on a new railway line that will connect the cities of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv as well as Ben Gurion International Airport is set to commence in March 2018.

The line, which has been under construction in various stages since 2001, will carry passengers from Jerusalem to Ben Gurion Airport Railway Station in 20 minutes and to Tel Aviv HaHagana Railway Station in 28 minutes. The airport’s railway station is located on the lower level of Terminal 3.

The electric-powered trains will travel at speeds of roughly 125 mph (200 km/h) and will operate six days a week (the trains will not run on the Sabbath). The system will reduce the commute between the two cities from one hour and 15 minutes to less than half that.

“The Jerusalem-Tel Aviv high-speed rail will revolutionize the public transportation system in Jerusalem and is an integral part of the capital’s strategic development,” said Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat in a statement earlier this year.

(Photos: Accura Media Group)

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....aunch-in-2018/

II. János Pál pápa

dimlys1994, Atlante, JogadorDeSimCity liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; August 26th, 2016 at 04:05 PM.
Qtya está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #2
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

It should be mentioned that it is unclear whether this will be an actual high speed line. Although this article claims it will be capable of 200 km/h, others say it is 160 km/h max. As trains in Israel have a maximum speed of 120 km/h today, even 160 km/h is quite fast compared to that.

Even Israel Railways doesn't provide any information about the top speed of the A1 line:
http://www.rail.co.il/HE/Development.../Pages/A1.aspx

For now we should take the "high speed" with a grain of salt...
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 03:01 PM   #3
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Yes, well, in Europe we don't say high-speed unless it does at least 250 km/h, but I suppose anything could be called HS if it's significantly faster than what went before. I would assume that the confusion about 160/200 vmax is due to signalling. Speeds above 160 km/h call for a specific (and expensive!) signalling system. Therefore many lines are enabled for 200 km/h, but can currently be used only for 160 km/h service.

Why doesn't the new train run on Saturdays BTW? I know it's sabbath, but then, the trains run on Sundays and Christian holidays here in France.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post

Why doesn't the new train run on Saturdays BTW? I know it's sabbath, but then, the trains run on Sundays and Christian holidays here in France.
France is a secular state.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #5
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Even most religious countries run public transport on their non-working days, with different frequency of course

Slartibartfas liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #6
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
It's a part of the complicated status-quo agreements between secular and religious Jews, which have been in place pretty much since Israel's independance. Orthodox Jews think it's a sin to work or drive on Sabbath, and will be angry if their tax money will be used to subsidize public transportation during the Sabbath.
Yes, I think it's a stupid argument- Orthodox Jews live all around the world, and pay taxes to government which run almost as usual during the Sabbath. But Israeli government prefer to argue over other matters, so they leave the situation as it is.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 09:23 AM   #7
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
It's not only the new train : all the Israeli railway system shuts down on Friday
around 5PM till Saturday night. Also most urban transportation systems,
including for example the Jerusalem tram. The only notorious exception is the
Haifa bus system.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 08:12 PM   #8
yishbarr
Yishai

Internationally, HSR is any train that runs above 210 km/h on a dedicated track capable of 250 km/h or 200 km/h on an improved track. This railway is called high speed because it's relatively fast, especially for a train that travels uphill, but it's not that.
yishbarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:52 PM   #9
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_shadow1 View Post
Orthodox Jews think it's a sin to work or drive on Sabbath, and will be angry if their tax money will be used to subsidize public transportation during the Sabbath.
The ultra orthodox - which are the real problem in this case - are probably the group that pays the least taxes in all of Israel. I wouldn't be surprised if even illegal immigrants contribute more to the Israeli economy than that group...

That being said: There are areas in Israel that have a limited amount of public transport on Saturdays, although there have been regular attempts by the central government to curb that (which they do to win over the ultra orthodox vote/have those parties support other proposals etc).
Old September 7th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #10
rheintram
yeah, whatever

New pictures and a video from the construction site:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...851583,00.html

dimlys1994, Qtya liked this post
Old September 12th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #11
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
I tried to randomly search for a train on IR's website (Haifa-Tel Aviv), apparently there are no trains from Friday afternoon (around 16:00) until Saturday evening (around 20:00).

Anyway, many public transport services don't run on Christmas and 1st may (worker's day) in Europe, sometimes not even on 1st January, although there isn't a weekly (nearly) total shutdown like in Israel.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 02:30 AM   #12
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5963

In which European countries are they shutting down all intercity train services on any day of the year? I mean I am not talking about strikes here but planned shut downs. In Austria there is no such thing to my knowledge.

Swede liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #13
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

I know of no other country where this is happening. The closest to that that I know is the closure of the dutch rail system after 8PM on New Year's eve. Although there are also entire commuter lines in the US that have no service on Sundays.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:49 AM   #14
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

UK on Christmas day or 26th Dec for one.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:23 PM   #15
hans280

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
New pictures and a video from the construction site:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...851583,00.html
Great web page, thanks for posting! I haven't been to Israel in ages and it's really good to see that that "ramp to nowhere" near Modi'in has finally been connected. It used to look bizarre. Progress!
Old September 24th, 2016, 12:00 AM   #16
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5963

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
UK on Christmas day or 26th Dec for one.
That is rather a sign of bad rail service than one of religious orthodoxy in Britain, isn't it?
Old September 24th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #17
hans280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
That is rather a sign of bad rail service than one of religious orthodoxy in Britain, isn't it?
Well, I would tend to agree. In my native Copenhagen the metro system (the little such that we have) absolutely runs during the night between 25 and 26 December. Now, that's because the town is full of drunkards whom we'd rather not have drive a car, but still... it's the holiest days in Christendom. Even the Bishop of Copenhagen has been spotted taking a train on Christmas day - whereby he was clearly not drunk.
Old September 26th, 2016, 01:48 PM   #18
Ynhockey

Likes (Received): 5227

Here is a series of pictures of the new Jerusalem railway station (HaUma Yitzhak Navon Station), the terminus of this line. Note: As others have said here, this is not a high-speed line. In Hebrew it's called the "Fast Line" to Jerusalem, which is more appropriate given that it's much faster than the existing line.

The station from the outside:

Entrance to the station (the glass box). There is nothing of note on the ground level, and all of the halls are underground.

The same glass box from the inside. The stone wall opposite will be used for advertisements and will have giant screens.

From the glass box we descend one floor to the main hall. This hall will have the ticket machines and validators.

The opposite side of the same hall. Passengers will be able to descend from the ground level via three escalators (usually two up and one down, but this can be configured).

A small peek at the main escalator shaft. It will have four escalators (on each level, I think 12 total) that will take passengers down to –80 m. It wasn't possible to take a picture of the diagonal shaft (safety concerns of the organizers).

The next two pictures are of the passenger hall at almost –80 m. From this hall there are six bridges (3 on each side) that lead to the platforms one level below.

The most interesting picture by far IMO: this is one of the two platforms. You can see one of the 6 bridges far away, it looks tiny, but in fact it's quite big. The space is enormous—although it's smaller than the same space photographed and presented here by me in February 2014 (search for the images to compare, it's quite interesting).

There is a service platform behind that metal covering, probably for infrastructure:

Finally, there will be three elevators carrying passengers from the ticket hall to the platforms. Each elevator can carry 20 passengers at a time. I found this to be disappointing as the elevators are quite a bit smaller than I expected, and with 20 people they feel very crowded (so realistically there will be ~10 people per elevator). I really hope that in the future if/when they expand the line eastward to Mamilla, they will add a new entrance with more elevators on the eastern side of the platform.
Old October 9th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #19
Ynhockey

Likes (Received): 5227

Part of this project is the tallest (90 m) and most complex bridge built in Israel. Here is some drone footage by a guy named Dudy Cohen:

Old November 4th, 2016, 08:52 AM   #20
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=539

Israel to extend A1 Rail Link
Wednesday, November 02, 2016

ISRAEL transportation minister Mr Yisrael Katz announced on November 1 that the government is planning to extend the Jerusalem - Tel Aviv A1 high-speed rail link, which is currently under construction to the Western Wall in Jerusalem

The 57km line will be extended via a 2km tunnel, adding further costs to the Shekels 7bn ($US 1.8bn) project, which is due to open in 2018

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Ynhockey liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote