daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2016, 03:47 AM   #41
Leshommes

Likes (Received): 49

True

But it was replaced with 1001 Woodward, which is a building I really like.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7736807652

But I can't say the same for the Hammond building.

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2016, 08:00 PM   #42
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 114

Micro Apartments are rising downtown

Quote:
Since it’s micro-week here at Curbed, and micro-living is a new thing for Detroit, we thought we’d check in on the construction of 219 micro-apartments that Bedrock is currently building downtown. This building (yet to be named) will be located on the corner of Grand River and Griswold, and apartments will range from 300-400 square feet.

About a month ago, we heard that they were starting to go up, so we caught a few pics of the progress. The first one was taken in early August, and the rest this past week. You can see the first-floor retail is really taking shape.

These spaces will be tiny, but geared toward the workers downtown. We’ve talked about density in a few places lately, and this is certainly one way to do it. No word yet on what the rent might be, but demand for apartments downtown is high, and we wouldn’t be surprised to see them go above the $2 per square foot standard.
http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/9/21/...ising-downtown

erbse, Yuri S Andrade, soren5en liked this post
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 11:31 PM   #43
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I never thought Detroit would have a demand for micro apartments, but if they're actually affordable for new and low-income buyers then live and let live I guess.

Last edited by bodegavendetta; September 22nd, 2016 at 03:28 AM.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 10:08 PM   #44
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Likes (Received): 1511

Detroit is making the strongest comeback of any city I've ever personally witnessed in my entire life.
When I was just a wee boy, Detroit was a heap of garbage... now, it's incredible.
Obviously it still has its own problems, but any time I visit, I'm baffled at everything.
Hidden gems, new projects, restaurants, bars, etc... The place is simply a 'Classic'
There's nowhere else like it, and everyone needs to visit this city to believe it.

I'm so happy Detroit is my neighbour city, and any chance I get, I head over to eat, shop, stay, and play.

Don't knock it til you try it!

Leshommes, Tommy Boy, erbse, AbidM, jonasry and 5 others liked this post
Oaronuviss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:36 AM   #45
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58039

Great to hear that! Would be amazing if you could bring along some updates once in a while!

I think there's a lot of affection for Detroit to make its comeback. So bring everybody here and fuel the turnaround!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
Micro Apartments are rising downtown
It makes sense to show the render here

Facades clad in bricks:

http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/9/21/...ising-downtown

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #46
jonasry

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
This drone video of winter 2016 shows Michigan Central Station Detroit in full aerial splendour, including its fresh windows that were installed by the end of 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzG1hm9lTL8
So, could Michigan Central ever be resurrected to it's former glory? With discussions about investment Buffalo Central Terminal - further off from CBD the Michigan Central - gearing up, it shouldn't be impossible. I'd say cross-border high speed rail, a growth strategy focused on CBD and along Michigan Ave and expansion of QLine would be prerequisites. But not impossible at all. A good start would be to create an airport express line. Seems to be a low hanging fruit as 90 % could run on existing tracks.

The Eagle liked this post
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 03:55 AM   #47
GodIsNotGreat

Likes (Received): 1069

Never been there.

Nice surprise. What I hear is mostly bad.
"About the gods I have no way of knowing either that they exist or they don't exist, or what they are to look at. Many things prevent my knowing. Among others, the fact that they are never seen." - Protagoras
GodIsNotGreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 05:01 AM   #48
ericmacm

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodIsNotGreat View Post
Never been there.

Detroit's negative stigma comes from people who like to over-sensationalize the crime and decay, as well as people who visited or used to live there back when Detroit was really bad. You can also thank the corruption in the city politics for that negative image too.

I'd be lying if I said that Detroit wasn't still a mess. Crime is still high outside of the immediate downtown and there are still a lot of problems to solve. Despite this, things are looking really great for the future. All of this new development and building restoration in the city is just the beginning. The downtown is beautiful. In a decade, Detroit is going to look totally different. Foreign investment and cheap property are going to attract a lot of people and companies.

I see you're from Toronto. You're not too far away, you should take an opportunity to visit. There's lots to do and see.

erbse, Titan Man, testdrive, Lakeland, mdhookey liked this post
ericmacm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 08:43 AM   #49
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

Detroit's epic failure has given the city something that few will ever have........the chance to start again.

It can learn from the mistakes of much of the middle 20th century urban decay and destruction and avoid t. It' has the enviable appeal of being the place where you can not only change your future but also change the city. It's open arms approach and rebuilding offers the young and creative to create an urban environment and not just reflect it. This is something that NYC, SF, and Toronto will never be able to offer anyone. There is a real problem with going to the established cities.......you have to deal with the establishment.

Established cities only allow you to live according to their established rules while a city starting anew lets you go crazy like a kid in a candy store.

The bankruptcy of Detroit will eventually be seen as one of the greatest and most positive events that ever happened in the city's history.

erbse, Titan Man liked this post
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #50
Leshommes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodIsNotGreat View Post
Never been there.

Detroit has a lot more impressive pre-war architecture than Toronto, you should definitely visit. Also, the whole metro area is massive, there's tons of stuff to see and do.
Leshommes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 05:41 AM   #51
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 114

Roundup of stuff from the last month or so.

Quote:
Capitol Park updates: New residential construction planned; Farwell restoration begins

Big news for fans of modern architecture next to historic design. In an article from dbusiness, we’ve learned that a new 11-story building will go up behind the Westin Book Cadillac. In addition, an eight story building will rise next to the Farwell Building. Both can be seen in the picture above
http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/8/30/...ential-farwell

Quote:
The City of Detroit Downtown Development Authority has approved development agreements for the $150 million Little Caesars World Headquarters Campus Expansion and the $24.4 million first phase of a mixed-use building on Henry Street. It will be north of the I-75 Service Drive and west of Park on Henry. A hotel on Henry Street is still in the works, with no official announcement yet.

The mixed-use building on Henry Street is the first residential piece we’ve seen in the District Detroit, although it’s unknown at this time how much residential, office, and retail will be housed there. The press release says there’s potential for parking and thousands of square feet of retail space. By the looks of it, there should be a pretty decent amount of parking.

The Little Caesars World Headquarters, across the street from the Fox Theater, broke ground last week. The nine-story, 234,000-square-foot building is expected to be completed in 2018.
http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/9/15/...e-developments

Quote:
DTE is building one of the largest urban solar arrays in the US in Detroit

DTE Energy is converting 10 acres of blighted land into one of the largest urban solar arrays in the United States. They broke ground today on the project, which could generate enough clean energy to power 450 homes. The land is at the former O’Shea Park, which is bordered by Greenfield Road and I-96.
http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/9/16/...-array-Detroit

Quote:
Upscale retailer to open boutique hotel in Detroit's Midtown

Furniture and home décor retailer West Elm announced plans Monday to open a hotel in Detroit and four other cities as it branches out into the hospitality business.

The planned 120-room boutique hotel in Detroit would open in 2018 and be built in Midtown at the northeast corner of Cass and Canfield on what is now a Wayne State University-owned parking lot. The project also signifies changes to the university's earlier plans to build a large commercial complex on the site
http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...otel/91125592/

Quote:
Cummings' 231-unit Third and Grand development gets $2 million in state financing

The Michigan Strategic Fund board on Tuesday approved a $2 million performance-based loan for developer Peter Cummings' $54.6 million new residential project in New Center area.

Third & Grand LLC is expected to bring 231 apartments totaling 190,000 square feet and about 20,000 square feet of commercial space to a 1.4 acre surface parking lot previously owned by Henry Ford Health System at West Grand Boulevard and Third Avenue.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...s-2-million-in

Quote:
Soave's first Detroit residential development plans include more than 400 apartments in Corktown

The planned Elton Park development is expected to begin with the construction of more than 150 apartments in multiple buildings starting in the spring.

The project includes a rehabilitation of the historic Checker Cab building and construction of new mixed-use buildings with retail space on the first floors. The first phase is expected to be complete by December 2018
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...lude-more-than

Last edited by urbanlover; September 28th, 2016 at 07:12 AM.
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #52
Leshommes

Don't forget the 2 biggest projects!

Brush Park development

http://www.citymoderndetroit.com/#gallery

Brewster development

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...eases-to-416-6

Also Brush Park Southern addition: http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...uth_lowres.pdf
Old October 1st, 2016, 02:04 AM   #53
testdrive

Likes (Received): 1195

Cool map showing various developments downtown and New Center area
Also progress David Scott renovations, another great example of beautiful architecture in Detroit

erbse, Bylina liked this post

Last edited by testdrive; October 1st, 2016 at 02:14 AM.
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 05:18 PM   #54
erbse
LIBERTINED

Thanks for the map, and great overviews there urbanlover and Leshommes! Keep it going!

More revitalisations coming along:

Marwood Apartments | Nonprofit developer acquires Detroit buildings for renovations, added housing

"Marwood Apartments, at 53 Marston St., will provide mixed-income housing options in renovated and newly constructed spaces.

Rental rates there will range from $597 to $850 for single-room apartments and $813 to $950 for two-bedroom apartments. Midtown Square, at 93 Seward St., will be available to low-to-moderate-income renters."

Farmer’s Hand grocery store to open in Corktown

"Co-owners Kiki Louya, 33, and Rohani Foulkes, 36, emptied their bank accounts to open a small, organic market focused on delivering fresh produce and goods sourced from local farmers and businesses the owners visited personally before purchasing from, Louya said.

The store is modeled off the small markets and bodegas popular in the New York borroughs and other big cities."

Titan Man, el palmesano liked this post
Old October 4th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #55
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 5020

Good to see Detroit coming back. It can be a chance also for the other US cities to completely rethink the way of how they develop and to focus on building dense, transport-oriented mixed-use neigborhoods with mid-size scale buildings.

As of Detroit, one of the key problems of this city is its massive size and extremely low density. The best way how to solve many these problems would be to bulldoze massive part of the suburbs and change them onto some kind of natural park or even agricultural land and focus on densifying of the inner city and inner suburbs.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 06:29 PM   #56
erbse
LIBERTINED

Please no! Bulldozing entire streets and neighborhoods is what caused many of Detroit's problems in the first place.

It rather needs to lure the creative types and small businesses into such cheap locations, that offer all the varied possibilities to them. Like almost no other US metropolis can. That's what rejuvenates these districts and brings along revitalisation and change. If you just raze them to the ground, not much will happen on all the brownfields for a long, long time - as we could observe with several other disctricts of Detroit in the past decades.

Not to mention the great cultural and architectural loss that comes with the demolition of old buildings. Detroit can't reinvent itself when it becomes faceless - it's most vibrant where they could keep the most of old Detroit. This should motivate to save as many historical buildings as possible, not to raze them!

Also check these articles and perhaps revise your idea:

National Register of Historic Places in Detroit, Michigan
Architecture of metropolitan Detroit

Titan Man liked this post
Old October 5th, 2016, 01:40 AM   #57
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 5020

But where you gonna find all the tremendous amounts of money needed to keep the roads, schools, streetlights and safety in such area (suitable for millions of people) in a city of 770.000? When bulldozing, I am not talking about some crazy urban renewal project with underlying racial reasons, I am rather talking about concetrating people in the more dense and diverse neighborhoods, what should be reflected in the local urban planning.

I just quickly checked the list of monuments, most of the buildings listed seem to be located in some kind of local centre. However, most of the housing stock lacks the quality of these monuments and there's not any cultural problem to demolish them.

People too often think about the past of the cities rather than their future. In my opinion, we live in an era, in which we cannot afford such thinking. I recommend Ed Glaeser's book called Triumph of the City. He argues that too much of monument protectionism harms cities rather than helps. In case of Detroit outer suburbs, I guess that there is really not much to protect.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 04:41 AM   #58
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3205

The good news for Detroit is that they appear to be mindful of their times and have learned the lessons of all the cities that developed heavily in the 70's-'90's and had to endure overt suburbanization, auto-oriented corridors and developments, and variants of minimalist and modern skyscraper designs. Today, with a mindfulness regarding new urbanism and architecture that respects context I would expect Detroit to blossom nicely given the mix of classically designed forms and spaces with opportunities for infill. (Much like Buffalo and Pittsburgh.) The waterfront location is a draw common among most great cities and if they can muster a few more grand civic spaces and attractions then the sky is the limit.

The social infrastructure is another story but with the right commitment a great deal is possible.

AbidM, erbse liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #59
erbse
LIBERTINED

Historic neighborhoods need to be preserved - they are the very basic prerequisite for redevelopment and renaissance!

Totally agree. There's nothing more infantile and harmful than tearing down valuable mansions, townhouses and urban venues of the industrialisation age. They are durable, timeless, easy to modernise, iconic and make a great start for the renaissance and future of any city. Without knowing (and seeing) your past, you don't know where you came from, what you are, nor what you will be.

Also have a look at this photo album including lots of the neighborhoods that luckily weren't bulldozed and now get revitalised, step by step - the city went exactly the right route here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1175573

Quote:
Quote:
In any other city, homes this close to the CBD would have been demolished decades ago. The only thing that saved them was Detroit's inability to demolish them. There was a plan in the 80's/90's to turn this whole area into a light industrial park. Thankfully that plan fell through.

By the late 90's when the new stadiums were going up just south of Brush Park, the city decided it was better to preserve the neighborhood. In the early 2000's the city invested a lot of money in the neighborhood infrastructure, that led to new in-fill construction. But in turn the developer had to renovate many of the surrounding historic homes:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Midtown:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Check the album thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1175573

And a bonus picture of once again quite dense Downtown Detroit for you:

image hosted on flickr

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1077/...8ce203_b_d.jpg

Old October 5th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #60
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Downtown Detroit is gorgeous. I hope the old brick houses can be reconstructed as well.

Titan Man, The Eagle, Oaronuviss liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote