daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #101
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 20124

awsome!

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #102
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 20124

DETROIT | Monroe Block | 20 & 16 FL | Proposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmichigan View Post
The vacant Monroe Block - the last empty lot on Campus Martius - now has an official, though un-named, proposal for it. The two-phase project will include a 20-story office tower on the actual Monroe Block, and behind it and on another block a multi-structure residential/retail building (with underground parking) which will reach 16-stories at its highest point. The residential/retail building is a later phase 2 and includes 250-units and 60,000 square feet of retail. It is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2018.

This is seperate from a rumored 60-story+ building which may be announced for the nearby Hudson Block next month or January.

aquaticko, erbse, Greg95100, AbidM, Aztecaa13 and 6 others liked this post
el palmesano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #103
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwood View Post
In Boston the Southeast expressway cut off the city proper from the Northside which was prominently Italian. Everything isn't about race all the time you know
FYI, among the old-school racists in the Northeast, anyone without Northeast or Northern European heritage (and I mean, strictly, the UK, Germany, France, Benelux, Denmark, or Scandinavia) was considered 2nd class and therefore undesirable--white or not. Just saying.
aquaticko está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:38 AM   #104
robertwood

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
FYI, among the old-school racists in the Northeast, anyone without Northeast or Northern European heritage (and I mean, strictly, the UK, Germany, France, Benelux, Denmark, or Scandinavia) was considered 2nd class and therefore undesirable--white or not. Just saying.
Good point. There has been a lot of discrimination against a lot of people over the years. I only meant to point out by my commnet that the highway system wasn't some grand conspiracy against blacks as some would seem to argue.
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 04:28 AM   #105
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4249

Wow, seems like Detroit is truly coming back to life.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #106
testdrive

Likes (Received): 1245

If anyone is thinking of visiting Detroit here is a B&B that just got sold that is in the Bush Park redevelopment area Another excellent example of some great architecture from back in the day.

erbse liked this post
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 07:20 AM   #107
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4188

Hopefully the Yazbecks will use the money to buy and renovate more of the Detroit mansions.

Also, 4 neighborhoods received $1.6 Million for some local projects. It isn't much but it will hopefully have some effect. Work will begin in January 2017. In all four neighborhoods, shops, restaurants, and employers are all within a 20 minute walk, the type of neighborhood revitalization they need to focus on to keep the benefits locally.

Quote:
Islandview/ Greater Villages: The Islandview/ Greater Villages RFP will invest $600,000 in a comprehensive neighborhood framework that includes improved approaches to landscape design, stormwater management and streetscaping. A portion of the funding will be dedicated to development of the Beltline Greenway, a non-motorized trailway along a former north-south railway that runs between Beaufait and Bellevue. The Beltline Greenway will complement existing efforts to connect the City’s greenway network. (Awarded to SmithGroup JJR, Christian Hurttienne Architects, with subcontractors HR& A, Quinn Evans, Copenhaganize and the Center for Community Progress).

The Northwest/ Grand River Corridor: This RFP will provide $380,000 in investments for the construction of an improved landscape/stormwater management system, new mobility/streetscape strategies and increased focus on economic and workforce development in these neighborhoods. (Awarded to Design Workshop, with sub-contractors Mannick & Smith, Lorcan O'Herlihy Architects, and Ventra).

Southwest Detroit/ West Vernor Corridor: The RFP will provide $380,000 to create a comprehensive neighborhood framework, and will include an implementation strategy for viaduct repairs, streetscape improvements, open space and green stormwater infrastructure enhancements, affordable- and market-rate housing rehabilitation opportunities, and truck route assessments. (Awarded to Goody Clancy, with sub-contractors LivingLAB LLC, Giffels Webster and Zimmerman/ Volk Associates, W-ZHA and Global Detroit).

Rosa Parks-Clairmount: The Rosa Parks-Clairmount study area will receive $275,000 to activate housing, re-imagine open land, and leverage economic development for the area. (Awarded to Gensler, with sub-contractors Hood Design Studio, Sam Schwartz Transportation and JFM Consulting)

http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/12/6/...-city-planning

Work is also finally beginning on the renovation of the old Wayne County Administration Building.

Quote:
A $2.6 million restoration project has begun at the Old Wayne County Building in downtown Detroit.

A building permit was issued last week to begin work on the 225,000-square-foot building at 600 Randolph St. The majority of the work will be on the exterior masonry and window restoration, according to a source familiar with the project. There is also expected to be work on the exterior's stairs and concrete around the building.

The building is owned by 600 Randolph SN LLC, a New York-based investment group that paid $13.4 million for it and a 120-space surface parking lot 2½ years ago.

Both properties had previously been owned by Wayne County, which has sat vacant for nearly a decade after the county moved its executive branch employees moved into the Guardian Building.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ounty-building

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

erbse, aquaticko, AbidM, el palmesano, VDB and 3 others liked this post

Last edited by towerpower123; December 10th, 2016 at 07:30 AM.
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 09:50 AM   #108
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10376

That building is gorgeous!

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #109
Weissenberg
Grid or Riot

Likes (Received): 297

A Detroit-based initiative by three Dutch students:

kazumoto liked this post
Weissenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2016, 09:22 PM   #110
testdrive

Wonderful to see this kind of excitement.
Old December 12th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #111
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 2024

clearly inspired by leeds town hall-

Old December 13th, 2016, 04:25 AM   #112
testdrive

Just down the street used to be the Old City Hall torn down in 1961

http://historicdetroit.org/galleries...ll-old-photos/
If you were on the roof of the Old City Hall you could see Wayne County Building that they are about to renovate.

http://historicdetroit.org/galleries...ll-old-photos/

City Cityzen, Lakeland liked this post
Old December 13th, 2016, 07:19 AM   #113
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4188

The Q Line (formerly named M-1 Woodward) Stations will be heated, have wifi access, and screens to tell when the next train will arrive there.

http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/12/9/...ations-m1-rail

This project is amazing and I hope they greatly expand it into an enormous transit network for Detroit. The empty streets have plenty of space.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

erbse, testdrive, el palmesano, jonasry liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #114
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59217

Too bad the old City Hall of Detroit was demolished! Part of its identity, just torn down carelessly?
Man, it was on par with New York's City Hall! I think they should reconstruct it.

What sits on the site today?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #115
bobjgumby

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Too bad the old City Hall of Detroit was demolished! Part of its identity, just torn down carelessly?
Man, it was on par with New York's City Hall! I think they should reconstruct it.

Picture from DESAI/NASR Consulting Engineers website.
http://desainasr.com/portfolio/one-kennedy-square/

erbse liked this post
bobjgumby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #116
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 787

Ew.

msquaredb, enjoi liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #117
bobjgumby

Likes (Received): 26

Here is pretty much the same view before.

From the Historic American Building Survey at the Library of Congress

Titan Man, testdrive, erbse, jjjeffi, soren5en and 6 others liked this post
bobjgumby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 02:43 AM   #118
testdrive

Here is a great Blog that explains how the layout of the city evolved http://detroiturbanism.blogspot.com/

erbse liked this post
Old December 24th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #119
robertwood

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post

There was a time in America when anything modern was considered better than anything old and buildings like this were routinely knocked down in most U.S. cities. There was little appreciation for them at the time but we all sorely miss them now and wonder what they could possibly have been thinking at the time. Unfortunately, unlike Germany, there is no precedent for rebuilding lost architectural treasures. As I have said before on SSC, your historic buildings were robbed from you by war and the communists afterwards while we destroyed our history ourselves. I think that historical difference accounts for the different attitudes between Germany where there is a lot of reconstruction and in the U.S. where there is none. As and aside Erbse I see you on a lot of American city sites on SSC. It's nice that you care about this country as well as your own.

erbse liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #120
jonasry

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwood View Post
There was a time in America when anything modern was considered better than anything old and buildings like this were routinely knocked down in most U.S. cities. There was little appreciation for them at the time but we all sorely miss them now and wonder what they could possibly have been thinking at the time. Unfortunately, unlike Germany, there is no precedent for rebuilding lost architectural treasures. As I have said before on SSC, your historic buildings were robbed from you by war and the communists afterwards while we destroyed our history ourselves. I think that historical difference accounts for the different attitudes between Germany where there is a lot of reconstruction and in the U.S. where there is none. As and aside Erbse I see you on a lot of American city sites on SSC. It's nice that you care about this country as well as your own.
A minor point (and quite off-topic), but to bluntly say that "historic buildings were robbed from you by [...] the communists" is simply not true. The Eastern European countries took vastly different approcheras to rebuilding after the war. For example the government in Poland fully supported the painstakingly difficult rebuilding of Warsaw. And while it's true that historic Berlin did not fare well after the formation of East Germany, other cities such as Rostock was left largely intact.

robertwood liked this post
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote