daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 05:49 AM   #2201
kangarooMN09

Likes (Received): 2

but everyone is entitled to have opinions. if everyone thinks hong kong wins hand down, then why did we even bother to start this thread?

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:06 AM   #2202
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2582

Mumbai looks like those large South East Asian cities such as Bangkok. BTW, is there any skyline development in the central core?

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM   #2203
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17832

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Mumbai looks like those large South East Asian cities such as Bangkok. BTW, is there any skyline development in the central core?
Mumbai's skyscraper boom is happening outside the traditional centre. There isn't much going on down at Nariman Point these days. Plenty of UC buildings and cranes are now in the Midtown area, in between Nariman Point and the airport. A lot of the photos of Mumbai posted in this thread depict that zone.

I guess that's a good thing. There are a lot of historic buildings worth preserving in the historic core.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:29 AM   #2204
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Mumbai's skyscraper boom is happening outside the traditional centre. There isn't much going on down at Nariman Point these days. Plenty of UC buildings and cranes are now in the Midtown area, in between Nariman Point and the airport. A lot of the photos of Mumbai posted in this thread depict that zone.

I guess that's a good thing. There are a lot of historic buildings worth preserving in the historic core.
What he said.

I love just walking around Nariman Point. I'd hate for that area and its historic and charismatic buildings to be torn down to make way for dull skyscrapers.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM   #2205
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
What he said.

I love just walking around Nariman Point. I'd hate for that area and its historic and charismatic buildings to be torn down to make way for dull skyscrapers.
Not just that but also the idea of building high-rises near these buildings.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:21 AM   #2206
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

That plus there's hardly any room around the old 1970 CBDs of Nariman point. Most buildings there are protected historic colonial or protected historic art deco buildings that simply can't be torn down. The old Narmian point CBD is actually built on reclaimed land.

Parel-Tardeo and Worli, though technically north of the now not so aptly named "central Mumbai", are mostly former textile mill and industrial lands. The huge demand for space in Mumbai has forced the price of these lands to skyrocket to some of the most expensive in the world. Because these lands can be redeveloped from scratch, the infrastructure to support high-density highrise can be built without stepping on too many toes, so to speak. That's why this area is likely going the modern skyscraper CBD
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:53 AM   #2207
hkskyline
Hong Kong

There are indeed a few skyscrapers in the Nariman Point vicinity, such as the Hilton, BSE, and a few more in Colaba further south.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:28 AM   #2208
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I'm getting interested in Mumbai all of a sudden. What's currently the tallest building and any plans for an 800 ft + scraper?

Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:00 PM   #2209
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I'm getting interested in Mumbai all of a sudden. What's currently the tallest building and any plans for an 800 ft + scraper?
Give it a few more years. Mumbai needs infrastructure right now. There isn't even a metro system. While the plan is to move the business focus to Midtown, there is not enough support to get people to and out of there. Without adequate roads and transit, I don't forsee a successful Midtown, or even Nariman Point. The trains stop at Churchgate and VT, which are a considerable distance away from the office areas.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 08:20 PM   #2210
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source & more photos : http://www.fotop.net/batiting/1102007firework

Old October 24th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #2211
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

The last one is really cool!

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #2212
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Thats the trademark that you can only find in HK. But I'm curious there will be another city to have a symphoney of lights.

Old October 24th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #2213
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The last set of Hong Kong photos were taken during the National Day fireworks, not the Symphony of Lights.

Old October 24th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #2214
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

My bad but yeah the last one is extravagant

Old October 24th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #2215
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
My bad but yeah the last one is extravagant
The Symphony of Lights doesn't use pyrotechnics unless it's a special occasion. Even then, they either send small fireworks off tops of buildings or from the harbour. The scale is much smaller than what was in those photos.

Old October 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #2216
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

The Chinese New Year ones and the Handover Day ones were pretty big. Was this one bigger?

Anyway, Symphony of lights itself is not that exciting, imho, I find it much better when the buildings are just lit and going about their business.

Nevertheless, Wanch is right, Symphony of Lights is supposed to be a trademark of Hong Kong's, The skyline itself is a major tourist attraction. (That's why politicians better not screw it up, the peak and the harbour are among the biggest attractoins, something's gotta be done about the pollution.)

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #2217
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Symphony of Lights is not supposed to take away from Hong Kong's slogan as Pearl of the Orient. The light show is supposed to complement that. Our trademark is the harbour, and the views both day and night.

Handover and National Day are major holidays along with Chinese New Year. Don't think the scale of the fireworks differs much between the three occasions. I've never noticed a major difference at all.

Old October 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #2218
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Symphony of Lights is not supposed to take away from Hong Kong's slogan as Pearl of the Orient. The light show is supposed to complement that. Our trademark is the harbour, and the views both day and night.

Handover and National Day are major holidays along with Chinese New Year. Don't think the scale of the fireworks differs much between the three occasions. I've never noticed a major difference at all.
Its true that HK's harbour is its trademark. But to support it is the skyline. The main focal point of HK's skyline is still gonna be HK Island especially the skyscrapers from Sheung Wan to Causeway Bay.

Old October 25th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #2219
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Its true that HK's harbour is its trademark. But to support it is the skyline. The main focal point of HK's skyline is still gonna be HK Island especially the skyscrapers from Sheung Wan to Causeway Bay.
No. The harbour is our asset, and all the buildings on both sides make the harbour great, not just Hong Kong Island from Sheung Wan to Causeway Bay. From the Peak, we can see development all the way out to Quarry Bay on Hong Kong Island, and a huge swath of Kowloon.

Old October 25th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #2220
bonivison

Likes (Received): 49

bonivison no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam