daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #2421
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,384
Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Actually, Shanghai is very well commercialized, and to some extent, there is too much retail. I don't think people have any problems getting the stuff they need at all - especially luxury goods, albeit at a more expensive price than Hong Kong.

In fact, I find Huaxia to be much more commercialized and show-off than Hong Kong. Never thought they'd put big-screen TVs every few hundred metres all along that stretch of road.

Even some of the secondary cities are very commercialized - Shenzhen, Guilin, Qingdao, etc. all have very prominent pedestrian streets. Not bad for smaller cities.
Shanghai is no doubt one of the most commericialized cities in the mainland. Next would be Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Beijing. Its because there is a strong presence of both local and global brands unlike in Vietnam where you won't find a single Mc Donalds.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #2422
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,464
Likes (Received): 17790

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Shanghai is no doubt one of the most commericialized cities in the mainland. Next would be Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Beijing. Its because there is a strong presence of both local and global brands unlike in Vietnam where you won't find a single Mc Donalds.
Don't think it's fair to compare China to Vietnam considering economic reforms came far later in Vietnam. From my travels throughout China, I notice a very strong tone of commercialism these days, and quite a lot of international chains in the mainland - from Walmart to Carrefour.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #2423
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,384
Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Don't think it's fair to compare China to Vietnam considering economic reforms came far later in Vietnam. From my travels throughout China, I notice a very strong tone of commercialism these days, and quite a lot of international chains in the mainland - from Walmart to Carrefour.
Its a drastic change compared to more than a decade ago. Other than the US and European chains. HK has alot of investment in the mainland from Tom Lee music to Watsons and so on.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #2424
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,464
Likes (Received): 17790

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Its a drastic change compared to more than a decade ago. Other than the US and European chains. HK has alot of investment in the mainland from Tom Lee music to Watsons and so on.
The point is China had a significant head start and also Hong Kong's huge investment pool to accelerate its modernization and commercialization.

In fact, Carrefour's reach in China is much larger than the Hong Kong retailers. You can't compare a music or drug store's influence to the power of grocery shopping.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #2425
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,384
Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The point is China had a significant head start and also Hong Kong's huge investment pool to accelerate its modernization and commercialization.

In fact, Carrefour's reach in China is much larger than the Hong Kong retailers. You can't compare a music or drug store's influence to the power of grocery shopping.
How about the local retailers? Yes there is the supermarkets but how about convenient stores. In Shanghai for example, there is no 7-11 or OK but they have the local All-Days

__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #2426
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,464
Likes (Received): 17790

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
How about the local retailers? Yes there is the supermarkets but how about convenient stores. In Shanghai for example, there is no 7-11 or OK but they have the local All-Days

Foreign companies haven't had much luck with smaller supermarkets and local retailers. 7/11 isn't so big in China at all. Rather, the foreign investors have pooled their resources to open major hypermarts, much like what Walmart and Carrefour are doing.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #2427
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,384
Likes (Received): 2571

I don't know but I didn't see a Walmart nor a Carrefour when I was in Shanghai. Either that or I didn't explore the other sides of the city
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #2428
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,464
Likes (Received): 17790

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I don't know but I didn't see a Walmart nor a Carrefour when I was in Shanghai. Either that or I didn't explore the other sides of the city
There is a huge one in the pedestrian mall in Qingdao. Walmart and Carrefour tend to be in the outlying areas, not in the city centre. They do go after the suburban bunch and in urbanized areas that have large populations.

Not much different than trying to find a huge superstore in Midtown or other US downtowns.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #2429
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,464
Likes (Received): 17790

A mix of Shanghai by josephm from dchome :





__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #2430
BrickellResidence
Moderator
 
BrickellResidence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 5,375
Likes (Received): 6555

hong kong and shanghai the best lit and neon cities!!!!!!!
BrickellResidence está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #2431
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,464
Likes (Received): 17790

Tokyo is also very well-lit .. albeit at street level.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #2432
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,384
Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Tokyo is also very well-lit .. albeit at street level.
Its odd how Tokyo scrapers didn't invest on led lighting unlike HK and SH ones
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #2433
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,464
Likes (Received): 17790

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Its odd how Tokyo scrapers didn't invest on led lighting unlike HK and SH ones
Don't assume the rest of the world has harmonized the way they build and showcase their buildings. Different places do different things, which makes travelling worthwhile. The Japanese seem more preoccupied with street scenes than skyline scenes.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #2434
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,384
Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Don't assume the rest of the world has harmonized the way they build and showcase their buildings. Different places do different things, which makes travelling worthwhile. The Japanese seem more preoccupied with street scenes than skyline scenes.
Japanese street scenes is enough to show it vibrancy. Though Tokyo's Cityhall tower gets some nice floodlights.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #2435
null
Mind Reader
 
null's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,499
Likes (Received): 1013

atcully,Tokyo is by far the BEST neon city in the world
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #2436
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,384
Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
atcully,Tokyo is by far the BEST neon city in the world
Tokyo has some really nice neon though I like those of Chinese cities especially HK and SH
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #2437
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,464
Likes (Received): 17790

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Japanese street scenes is enough to show it vibrancy. Though Tokyo's Cityhall tower gets some nice floodlights.
Japanese cities showcase their night streetscapes in a different way than other Asian cities. Many of Tokyo's most bustling areas look like extensions of Times Square, if a New York analogy is more appropriate for those who haven't traversed Tokyo too much. Other Greater China cities such as Shanghai, Taipei, and Hong Kong also have a lot of neon lighting, but made up moreso of smaller signs rather than the huge billboards common in Japanese cities along building sides. Notice in Shanghai, Taipei, and Hong Kong, many of these neon signs hang off the sides of buildings instead.

That being said, the arrangement of these signs in Taipei seems to resemble what's being done in Japan - far more uniform and less chaotic than those in Hong Kong.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #2438
haze
Registered User
 
haze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Klang Valley
Posts: 1,373
Likes (Received): 9

my city!

by skyscraperboy

[email protected] by Razuryza.

__________________
Kuala Lumpur | كوالا لومڤور | 吉隆坡 | கோலாலம்பூர்

TRULY'ASIA'CAMPAIGN

UNDI UNTUK MALAYSIA

Cintai Bahasa & Budaya Kita
haze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #2439
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,384
Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Japanese cities showcase their night streetscapes in a different way than other Asian cities. Many of Tokyo's most bustling areas look like extensions of Times Square, if a New York analogy is more appropriate for those who haven't traversed Tokyo too much. Other Greater China cities such as Shanghai, Taipei, and Hong Kong also have a lot of neon lighting, but made up moreso of smaller signs rather than the huge billboards common in Japanese cities along building sides. Notice in Shanghai, Taipei, and Hong Kong, many of these neon signs hang off the sides of buildings instead.

That being said, the arrangement of these signs in Taipei seems to resemble what's being done in Japan - far more uniform and less chaotic than those in Hong Kong.
Taipei has alot of Japanese influence especially when it comes to buildings and urban planning.

HK has some large neon as well especially on top of skyscrapers and the carpark in Sheung Wan.

South East Asia on the other hand lacks the concentration of neon compared to East Asian ones. Bangkok and Manila has the largest concentration of neon in this region
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #2440
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,464
Likes (Received): 17790

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Taipei has alot of Japanese influence especially when it comes to buildings and urban planning.

HK has some large neon as well especially on top of skyscrapers and the carpark in Sheung Wan.

South East Asia on the other hand lacks the concentration of neon compared to East Asian ones. Bangkok and Manila has the largest concentration of neon in this region
That can be said for Korea as well, as they had to endure a painful Japanese colonial period, which they are still very resentful today.

I'm looking for commonalities in how advertisements and streetscapes come together, rather than individual exceptions to the norm. The fact is, the common theme for Hong Kong's neon signs at the street level is hanging off sides of buildings.

Obviously large cities anywhere will have more concentrations of neon and lighting in general. That's a very obvious truth that can be said anywhere in the world.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu