daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #3561
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

image hosted on flickr

Tehran!
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #3562
OshHisham
BANNED

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tehran
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #3563
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1340

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
yeah, Makati streetscape is the world's best. modern, well developed, no spaghetti wires, no jeepneys...emm, what else? exciting...wanna add more?

geez, whatever dude. btw, open a dictionary, look for a word 'sarcasm'
With your assumption of me not being familiar with the word sarcasm, I have the right to also say that I most likely know more English than you ever will.

Regardless of your sarcastic statement, you are totally right in saying that Makati is modern and well developed. Let me prove that with your own photo:

image hosted on flickr

and just because I'm Filipino doesn't give you the right to assume that I only say that because I'm patriotic, because I think the majority of the rest of Manila is utter crap! Still, it's people like you that make the ASEAN only laughable.

----

It's funny how you're the same Malaysian who took those nice pics of Manila and claimed to have liked his stay there.

Last edited by diz; April 16th, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
diz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #3564
OshHisham
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post

It's funny how you're the same Malaysian who took those nice pics of Manila and claimed to have liked his stay there.
see, it's a prove that i'm not practicing narrow patriotism. i enjoy every place i've visited BECAUSE I KNOW HOW TO ENJOY THOSE CITIES!

poor that some people doesn't know how to enjoy their life. what a waste of money then...

you can even enjoy Pyongyang if you know how to enjoy it
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #3565
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1340

Quote:
see, it's a prove that i'm not practicing narrow patriotism. i enjoy every place i've visited BECAUSE I KNOW HOW TO ENJOY THOSE CITIES!

poor that some people doesn't know how to enjoy their life. what a waste of money then...
and this relates to what?

You need to watch your assumptions bud, they're too biased and stupid.
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #3566
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
Shanghai
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tangwhi...7603657994157/
Where are those taken from? The first one in particular.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #3567
patchay

Likes (Received): 1521

HK and Shanghai is just amazing!!!

I'm a Malaysian and i've to agree that KL's CBD and most parts of city is SMALL, BORING, LACKING SOMETHING, and quite DIRTY sometimes, especially during the rainy season. Not sure about Bangkok, Manila and Jakarta as I've not been there.

image hosted on flickr

KL skyline

There is no doubt that KL has now become one of Asia's emerging economic cities, for example more and more foreigners are coming to KL to buy properties or shopping or catching flights to other cities in Asia.

image hosted on flickr

Night swim

However, KL is becoming more "decentralise". To me, KL losses some commercial advantage when, for example, the world's big 4 accounting firms do not have national headquarters within KL CBD. Their highrise offices are in the suburbs. Many other multinationals are also in the suburbs. As such, I assume that the affluent people of KL do not necessary hangout in the CBD.

image hosted on flickr

KL CBD aka KL Golden Triangle

KL is still very less impressive in terms of buildings and architecture. Most of the buildings in KL are old and the interiors are not properly maintained. And to a certain extent, the pathways/landscaping around KL CBD is deteriorating due to frequent floods (haha) and construction sites all over. But I'm sure these are elements of a developing economy just like others.

image hosted on flickr

KL is set to build another 100+ skyscrapers in the next decade

KL's CBD has not completely matured, compared to Singapore's Raffles Place or HK's Central/Wanchai. There are big gap between buildings containing carparks etc. Development land within the CBD is aplenty. Fortunately but boringly, the Petronas Towers dominate the skyline most times.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Suburban KL

Overall, KL lacks something vibrant and attractive to young tourists. Talking about transportation and pedestrian-walkways will give very bad impression of KL. In fact the best place to feel the best and most modern of KL is within the KLCC Park itself, unless you prefer to chill at the Zouk club.

image hosted on flickr

Malaysia Indepedence Square, KL

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare

Last edited by patchay; April 16th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #3568
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchay View Post
HK and Shanghai is just amazing!!!

However, KL is becoming more "decentralise". To me, KL losses some commercial advantage when, for example, the world's big 4 accounting firms do not have national headquarters within KL CBD. Their highrise offices are in the suburbs. Many other multinationals are also in the suburbs. As such, I assume that the affluent people of KL do not necessary hangout in the CBD.
That's interesting and odd at the same time. What reason for that?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #3569
OshHisham
BANNED

to judge this city is boring, that city is small, one must look at the urban layout of the city.

KL with its character of a car oriented city has vast urban area which can 'swallow' the whole singapore island. KL is not a 'Centric Zone Model' city which all main city activities are centralised within the CBD as Hong Kong. HK is a city which most of its population live within the north side of HK island and southern park of kowloon. Bangkok has similar pattern as a centralised city.

KL is a 'multiple nuclei model' which it has 'loose' CBD area. this type of city has many suburbs and each of them has their own 'city centre'. so, people living in this type of city normally spend their social activities just within their suburb area. as it has a complete amenities to suit the need of its neighborhood.

in south east asia, only KL has this type of urban layout. Jakarta and Metro Manila has a similar character which CDB plays an important role in city's social activities. yes, the size is big as well, but most part of it are under developed and populated by poors. and by Klang Valley-standard, those cities' suburb looks more like a 'village' than a 'city'.

patchay is true when mentioning this ; However, KL is becoming more "decentralise". To me, KL losses some commercial advantage when, for example, the world's big 4 accounting firms do not have national headquarters within KL CBD. Their highrise offices are in the suburbs. Many other multinationals are also in the suburbs. As such, I assume that the affluent people of KL do not necessary hangout in the CBD.

in fact, KL neighboring suburb is as 'complete' as the city center itself.

Google Earth is the a good tool to see the urban character.
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #3570
WawaY[625]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

So my comment/observation regarding the city center were correct then and your accusations that I was being "too patriotic" was uncalled for

I wonder to whom this post is more appropriate to direct at then

Quote:
Bang! xxxx is always being typical xxx. overpatriotic

go ahead, feel free to promote that 'xxxxxxxxx' tourism campaign. no one will stop you.

Last edited by WawaY[625]; April 17th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
WawaY[625] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #3571
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

Quote:
to judge this city is boring, that city is small, one must look at the urban layout of the city.

KL with its character of a car oriented city has vast urban area which can 'swallow' the whole singapore island. KL is not a 'Centric Zone Model' city which all main city activities are centralised within the CBD as Hong Kong. HK is a city which most of its population live within the north side of HK island and southern park of kowloon. Bangkok has similar pattern as a centralised city.

KL is a 'multiple nuclei model' which it has 'loose' CBD area. this type of city has many suburbs and each of them has their own 'city centre'. so, people living in this type of city normally spend their social activities just within their suburb area. as it has a complete amenities to suit the need of its neighborhood.

in south east asia, only KL has this type of urban layout. Jakarta and Metro Manila has a similar character which CDB plays an important role in city's social activities. yes, the size is big as well, but most part of it are under developed and populated by poors. and by Klang Valley-standard, those cities' suburb looks more like a 'village' than a 'city'.

patchay is true when mentioning this ; However, KL is becoming more "decentralise". To me, KL losses some commercial advantage when, for example, the world's big 4 accounting firms do not have national headquarters within KL CBD. Their highrise offices are in the suburbs. Many other multinationals are also in the suburbs. As such, I assume that the affluent people of KL do not necessary hangout in the CBD.

HK's CBDs and commercial areas are scattered as well. Its not just Central. Its not like NY where Manhattan is more of the city centre unlike its outer boroughs such as Brooklyn or The Bronx. Its either the north or southwest side of HK Island or Central Kowloon.

As for Makati, it has spaghetti wires.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #3572
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

Manila is the only city I can think of that doesn't have a defined city centre. It does have one main CBD, Makati and several secondary ones. Makati is not even in Manila's jurisdiction. In fact its metro area have several cities with their own centres. Manila is the capital but its political activities happen outside the city's jurisdiction especially the congress and senate!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #3573
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

Modern Beijing doesn't have a defined city centre either, and it seems like the planning is all over the place. The Forbidden City used to be the centre, but it is not a functional one anymore. Meanwhile, office districts have sprung up on both east and west sides of town (eg. Guo Mao and Financial Street).

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #3574
OshHisham
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
HK's CBDs and commercial areas are scattered as well. Its not just Central. Its not like NY where Manhattan is more of the city centre unlike its outer boroughs such as Brooklyn or The Bronx. Its either the north or southwest side of HK Island or Central Kowloon.

As for Makati, it has spaghetti wires.
dude, now HK too has 'scattered' CBD. then i believe New Yorkers will say "NO! NY too is scattered as well"
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3575
OshHisham
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WawaY[625] View Post
So my comment/observation regarding the city center were correct then and your accusations that I was being "too patriotic" was uncalled for

I wonder to whom this post is more appropriate to direct at then
i wonder as a Philippines Forum regular visitor, i see pinoys condemning Makati in their regional forum but then in international forum, Makati becoming one of the world's best....

huh...i wonder which one should i believe. anyway, i believe what my eyes see.
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #3576
XNeo

Likes (Received): 233

I live in KL suburb and I dont think KL is boring.

as long as u got big money..shopping/spending is an excitement things to do where ever your are.

else...KL wont be among the list of preferred european expats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post
KL, George Town among European expats' top 10 preferred Asian locations
Thursday March 12, 2009

Singapore: Kuala Lumpur and George Town are among the top 10 locations in Asia where Europeans prefer to work and live in, according to a latest international location ratings survey.

Kuala Lumpur was ranked ninth and George Town 10th, after Singapore, Kobe, Yokohama, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Macau, Seoul and Taipei, said ECA International, an agency that develops and provides solutions for the management and assignment of employees around the world, in its annual Location Ratings Survey.

The survey rates living standards in more than 400 locations globally, according to categories including climate, air quality, health services, housing and utilities, isolation, social network and leisure facilities, infrastructure, personal safety and political tensions.

Its overall ratings are normally used by international human resources departments to establish allowances which compensate expatriate staff for the difficulties in adapting to living in their assignment location.

Both Kuala Lumpur and George Town were also ranked ninth in Asia for Asians to live in, the survey said, adding that in the world’s rankings, they took 61st and 64th spots, respectively.

“These rankings reveal a large gulf in the quality of living among Asian locations,” said ECA International Regional Director Asia Lee Quane.

He said while there were a handful of locations in Asia which offered Asian assignees a good standard of living, the majority of locations would be challenging in some shape or form and therefore, warranting high location allowances. — Bernama

Last edited by XNeo; April 17th, 2009 at 11:11 AM.
XNeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #3577
WawaY[625]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
i wonder as a Philippines Forum regular visitor, i see pinoys condemning Makati in their regional forum but then in international forum, Makati becoming one of the world's best....

huh...i wonder which one should i believe. anyway, i believe what my eyes see.
And where in my post did i say Makati is one of the world's best? I was only saying I found the streetscape of the CBD (ayala avenue with the ayala center shopping area) livelier than that of KL's

The least you could do is apologize for your uncalled for accusations against me
WawaY[625] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #3578
adverg

Likes (Received): 2

My only comment in KL is that, yes they have nice roads, the city planning was a bit dissapointing. Even my boss who is a local already loose his way finding our clients, I dont like the road networks, very confusing. Secondly like the Federal Highway, in fact I like it from Klang until going to Mid-Valley but when it is reaching KL proper there must be a straight or a wide road straight pointing to reach the focal point of KL which is KLCC, when you in KL already going to bas stand the roads are narrow unless you go so many other ways just to reach KLCC. It seems KLCC is hiding within the KL proper.
adverg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #3579
Mospeada
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WawaY[625] View Post
And where in my post did i say Makati is one of the world's best? I was only saying I found the streetscape of the CBD (ayala avenue with the ayala center shopping area) livelier than that of KL's

The least you could do is apologize for your uncalled for accusations against me
squatters area in manila/makati are more livelier than others SEA city.

Mospeada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #3580
tollfreak
Valid User

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:

Jakarta is scattered also as most of the social activities of the city's youth and professionals (outside of office) are centered mostly outside the CBD. Most Jakartan's socialize near their neighborhood, (example: in South Jakarta, Pondok Indah,Cilandak and Kemang). Pondok Indah and it's surroundings also has it's own mini CBD, housing offices from companies like ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, Fed Ex and RBS. Many South Jakartans tend to not go out to the CBD during holiday nights and prefer to go their neighborhood mall. In the North, Jakarta has three CBD's Mangga Dua,Pluit and Kelapa Gading.In the West and Tangerang there is Puri Indah,Lippo Karawaci,Bintaro,Serpong and Kebon Jeruk. So yeah, it's loose like KL also as most activities aren't centered around the Golden Triangle Area, which contains mostly offices.

Quote:
dude, now HK too has 'scattered' CBD. then i believe New Yorkers will say "NO! NY too is scattered as well"
NY is not as scattered as Asian cities in terms of CBD, as there is only Long Island City and Downtown Brooklyn CBD's that houses large companies within the 5 boroughs besides Downtown and Midtown.
tollfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam