daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #3581
RonnieR

Likes (Received): 2708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mospeada View Post
squatters area in manila/makati are more livelier than others SEA city.

This is foul. I have been reading all the posts and the arguments are mostly off topic. We're discussing Skyline of Asia. If you wish to argue about the squatters, then go to another thread where you can show all the slums in Asia or to be specific in ASEAN. I've travelled to all ASEAN countries except for Laos and I should know....don't try to start an argument about poverty because I know where the poor people of KL live!

I'm not sure if you have travelled to Manila for you to say this thing. The government has cleared the thousands of squatters along the railway tracks in Metro Manila and were relocated to suburbs in low cost houses with potable water system - decent enough.

Generally, Filipinos are opinionated and express themselves unlike most Asians who prefer the non-argumentative type of discussion - thanks to 50 years as American colony.

I suggest, we go back to the topic. It's a fact that skylines in ASia are getting better, of course, including KL. Terima Kasih.
RonnieR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #3582
jlshyang

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNeo View Post
I live in KL suburb and I dont think KL is boring.

as long as u got big money..shopping/spending is an excitement things to do where ever your are.

else...KL wont be among the list of preferred european expats...
Exactly my thoughts.

Patchay, where do you live in the Klang Valley, what do you do in your freetime and when was the last time you came back from Australia? You seem out of touch with KL these days or did you say all that to cool things down?

There are tons of places (old and new included) to hang out in the Klang Valley that I just can't keep up. Yes it is true that the CBD may not be the place for us locals to hang out these days. In fact, the KLCC Golden Triangle is dominated by expats and Bukit Bintang by tourists. Instead we locals hang out more in the suburbs. We've got Solaris Mont Kiara, Desa Sri Hartamas, Bangsar with its newly refurbished Bangsar Shopping Complex and Bangsar Village 2, The Gardens @ Midvalley City, Mutiara Damansara, Sunway Piramid I & II, Subang Jaya, SS2 etc.

As for the nightlife, the nightlife in KL's CBD is still pretty good with all those existing clubbing scenes on Jalan P.Ramlee, Jalan Sultan Ismail, Asian Heritage Row with the addition of so many new clubs in the last one year eg. Quattro Club @ Avenue K. However, Sunway City in the suburbs is also gaining reputation as a clubbing spot with the addition of Euphoria by Ministry of Sound. Solaris Mont Kiara in the popular high-end condominium precinct of KL is another place to look out for in the years to come with all the development taking place around it at the moment. So if you're coming over to KL for a visit, ask the locals where to go and do some research beforehand.

The thing about KL is that we have so many well developed suburbs that we can get almost everything the CBD has to offer without going down to the CBD. I live behind a new 450000 sq. ft neighbourhood mall which has a Carrefour hypermart and a cinema among others. IKEA, Tesco and other megamalls are a good 15 minutes drive away and I can always hang out with my friends at Mutiara Damansara, SS2, Desa Sri Hartamas or Jaya One with its chain of restaurants and cafes - all within 10-15 minutes drive. There's absolutely no need for me to go down to the CBD

Last edited by jlshyang; April 17th, 2009 at 06:44 PM.
jlshyang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #3583
patchay

Likes (Received): 1521

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshyang View Post
Exactly my thoughts.

Patchay, where do you live in the Klang Valley, what do you do in your freetime and when was the last time you came back from Australia? You seem out of touch with KL these days or did you say all that to cool things down?

There are tons of places (old and new included) to hang out in the Klang Valley that I just can't keep up. Yes it is true that the CBD may not be the place for us locals to hang out these days. In fact, the KLCC Golden Triangle is dominated by expats and Bukit Bintang by tourists. Instead we locals hang out more in the suburbs. We've got Solaris Mont Kiara, Desa Sri Hartamas, Bangsar with its newly refurbished Bangsar Shopping Complex and Bangsar Village 2, The Gardens @ Midvalley City, Mutiara Damansara, Sunway Piramid I & II, Subang Jaya, SS2 etc.

As for the nightlife, the nightlife in KL's CBD is still pretty good with all those existing clubbing scenes on Jalan P.Ramlee, Jalan Sultan Ismail, Asian Heritage Row with the addition of so many new clubs in the last one year eg. Quattro Club @ Avenue K. However, Sunway City in the suburbs is also gaining reputation as a clubbing spot with the addition of Euphoria by Ministry of Sound. Solaris Mont Kiara in the popular high-end condominium precinct of KL is another place to look out for in the years to come with all the development taking place around it at the moment. So if you're coming over to KL for a visit, ask the locals where to go and do some research beforehand.

The thing about KL is that we have so many well developed suburbs that we can get almost everything the CBD has to offer without going down to the CBD. I live behind a new 450000 sq. ft neighbourhood mall which has a Carrefour hypermart and a cinema among others. IKEA, Tesco and other megamalls are a good 15 minutes drive away and I can always hang out with my friends at Mutiara Damansara, SS2, Desa Sri Hartamas or Jaya One with its chain of restaurants and cafes - all within 10-15 minutes drive. There's absolutely no need for me to go down to the CBD
Good write up indeed.

Yes I'm back in KL, and working as a junior auditor in the suburb of PJ . And guess what, I live 10mins from IKEA, Tesco, Carrefour Tropicana City etc too. Most ppl in my neighbourhood tell foreigners that we're from KL, but we rarely enter KL (including KL suburbs), at the most Taman Tun, Midvalley, Bangsar etc.

I recently made walking tours around KL, and was quite surprise to see lotsa developments, some fast some slow. I feel KL still lack good maintenance culture as well as good looking buildings. Many new ones are too dull and too plain in white. Buildings around Petronas are quite short, causing Petronas to be overwhelmingly dominating. KL loses alot of "buzzing" feeling especially during weekends and tough times like now. Our Bukit Bintang still needs to do more. Interestingly, KL is now heavily "flooded" with migrants from elsewhere, quite multicultural haha.

In coming years, KL will continue to Decentralize. Not to mention the Govt of Malaysia has almost completely moved out of KL (except court, palace, parliament, embassies, police etc) to a new city called Putrajaya. But in the eyes of the world, Putrajaya is still considered within Greater KL haha.

Ermm... ok back to the topic... skylines for ALL Asia!!!

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare

Last edited by patchay; April 17th, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #3584
adverg

Likes (Received): 2

Yes I agree with Pathay, those days are more better than now. It seems lacking of maintenance now even in the street and bus stands. Like in Old Klang, One bus stands full of garbage and smell of urine. In some footbridge, few beggars are scattered even in Mid Valley, this will spoiled the reputation of the city. Yes there is a lot of development now in KL but what I can see, they have to look on the proper planning and the designs allocated for such place. It seems I can't find the coordination of nice views. Some of this new building have potentials in design, but was not properly allocated.
adverg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #3585
Indictable

Likes (Received): 62

Hong Kong
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #3586
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WawaY[625] View Post
sigh, if we can only discuss things here without regional pride then this topic could have more open minded posts..

I was just saying that walking in the financial district of Makati and Raffles was more interesting than my walk from Pavilion KL to suria KLCC
Waway, just ignore OshHisham as he was the one started the pride thing and then would make others sound like they are to be blamed... he started the tourism-promoting thing and then accused others of doing so... really what the...

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #3587
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
to judge this city is boring, that city is small, one must look at the urban layout of the city.

KL with its character of a car oriented city has vast urban area which can 'swallow' the whole singapore island. KL is not a 'Centric Zone Model' city which all main city activities are centralised within the CBD as Hong Kong. HK is a city which most of its population live within the north side of HK island and southern park of kowloon. Bangkok has similar pattern as a centralised city.

KL is a 'multiple nuclei model' which it has 'loose' CBD area. this type of city has many suburbs and each of them has their own 'city centre'. so, people living in this type of city normally spend their social activities just within their suburb area. as it has a complete amenities to suit the need of its neighborhood.

in south east asia, only KL has this type of urban layout. Jakarta and Metro Manila has a similar character which CDB plays an important role in city's social activities. yes, the size is big as well, but most part of it are under developed and populated by poors. and by Klang Valley-standard, those cities' suburb looks more like a 'village' than a 'city'.

patchay is true when mentioning this ; However, KL is becoming more "decentralise". To me, KL losses some commercial advantage when, for example, the world's big 4 accounting firms do not have national headquarters within KL CBD. Their highrise offices are in the suburbs. Many other multinationals are also in the suburbs. As such, I assume that the affluent people of KL do not necessary hangout in the CBD.

in fact, KL neighboring suburb is as 'complete' as the city center itself.

Google Earth is the a good tool to see the urban character.
Come on, whatever your explanation is, it won't change others' preferences on what an exciting city should be. As a matter of fact, KL is clean, beautiful but boring to some! Face it! Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taipei, Bangkok, Seoul, Manila, Tokyo etc etc are huge and to you they might not be your cuppa tea but then there are millions of people who enjoy the city, whether for days or for years. I personally have enjoyed some of the cities mentioned above and really like them, because there are endless things for me to explore.

So it's unfair for you to start calling names when others express their opinions on which city they prefer, based on their own experiences. Please swallow your own pride and stop contradicting yourself (this is not your Malaysian forum where you think you can lash out and not be taken action against). And stop spilling your shallow arguments over in the world forum that make Malaysians look like a bunch of hooligans. Geez.

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.

Last edited by Lastresorter; April 18th, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #3588
WawaY[625]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

but i do appreciate the "forest" feel within the CBD with the big trees that look like they were there before the city was even founded (esp the ones you can find along the monorail route between Bukit Bintang and Bukit Nanas.

My only complaint in my original post was that the city felt "empty" esp for a CBD area and some buildings looked dated (forgot if it was hard rock or tgi fridays along that monorail route)

I think I got that feeling because of the setback between the road and the building itself, on some areas the setback is quite large and there are a lot of trees, it really felt like the the city grew on a forest but much of the original forest was left untouched (which is a nice thing)

but if we speak stricly about skylines KL does rock and is up there with my favorite skylines

Speaking of Skyline rankings, i dunno but based on pictures, I dont like HK's..
maybe because its too much skyscrapers for me to appreciate? I really dont know but I like that of Shanghai and Singapore better (Tall buildings that stand out over not so tall ones then the talls gradually get shorter)

now if only one more tall would dominate the Singapore skyline (or we remove the OUB and UOB building lol so only one 280m building dominates) then itd look much better for me

for HK I feel its all talls dominating the view..
WawaY[625] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #3589
tollfreak
Valid User

Likes (Received): 9

Shanghai's,Singapore's and HK's waterfront locations does help increase the beauty of it's skyline.If i'm not mistaken due to the emergency air path in Paya Lebar there is a 280 m height limit in Singapore right?
tollfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #3590
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastresorter View Post
Waway, just ignore OshHisham as he was the one started the pride thing and then would make others sound like they are to be blamed... he started the tourism-promoting thing and then accused others of doing so... really what the...
geez....if i were you, i prefer not to talk with the person whom i don't like. don't need to prolong any argument, bcoz it won't make u a brainer either. any action will have a reaction. don't pretend that people will agree with you 100%. this forum is not CCP National Congress.

------------------------------

Tehran

[img]http://i41.************/e17m95.jpg[/img]
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #3591
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mospeada View Post
squatters area in manila/makati are more livelier than others SEA city.

That was totally uncalled for. No one was talking about the squatters. You jerk.
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #3592
Shapoor
Highrise Resident

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
geez....if i were you, i prefer not to talk with the person whom i don't like. don't need to prolong any argument, bcoz it won't make u a brainer either. any action will have a reaction. don't pretend that people will agree with you 100%. this forum is not CCP National Congress.

------------------------------

Tehran

[img]http://i41.************/e17m95.jpg[/img]
Dude that's some ancient picture of Tehran!

I've got two banners that show Tehran's current (or at least recent) skyline:

[IMG]http://i43.************/axgmtz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/1678shf.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #3593
patchay

Likes (Received): 1521

Quote:
Originally Posted by WawaY[625] View Post

those pics are very old already.......

anyway here's Shanghai

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare

Last edited by patchay; April 18th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #3594
oweeyman
B-)

Likes (Received): 40

Mega Kuningan District - Jakarta
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by oweeyman; April 19th, 2009 at 07:45 AM.
oweeyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #3595
WawaY[625]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

image hosted on flickr

SWFC is my favorite skyscraper
WawaY[625] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #3596
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollfreak View Post
Shanghai's,Singapore's and HK's waterfront locations does help increase the beauty of it's skyline.If i'm not mistaken due to the emergency air path in Paya Lebar there is a 280 m height limit in Singapore right?
Correct. Paya Lebar is the old international airport currently used by army and numerous maintanance companies. The path is too close to the city to have anything taller than 280 by current regulations, although there are some rumors around about 2 320m buildings pending.
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #3597
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

That's enough.

http://fotop.net/yiu3210/Panorama
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #3598
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapoor View Post
Dude that's some ancient picture of Tehran!

I've got two banners that show Tehran's current (or at least recent) skyline:

[IMG]http://i43.************/axgmtz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/1678shf.jpg[/IMG]
it's hard to get a photo of Tehran skyline. much harder to get a higher quality one....

btw, Twin Tower photo taken last week...

image hosted on flickr
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #3599
nazrey

Likes (Received): 10720

Kuala Lumpur (KL), Malaysia
by biys

image hosted on flickr
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3600
mhek

Likes (Received): 577

MAKATI

[img]http://i43.************/2944glh.jpg[/img]

Last edited by mhek; April 20th, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
mhek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam