daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #3721
berdnerd
In the brig
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 309
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Compare it with Shenzhen of 1990 and before
apart from Tokyo, Hongkong and probably Singapore.....most Asian cities back then was still pretty a chunk of empty space and commuinty forest u know.....well ....it might be some highrise buildings but not as much man

same for Manila, makati, Jakarta, Bkk, KL or wherever...
berdnerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #3722
OshHisham
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Damansara Kim
Posts: 3,881
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
sad to realize that despite having one of world's most beautiful skyline, most of HK colonial heritage buildings are all gone...
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #3723
OshHisham
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Damansara Kim
Posts: 3,881
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
This is what major Asian cities are all about, skyscrapers and there's more of them coming up!
most of them are typical. over congested, over polluted. but i wonder why forumers from those cities feel so happy about being dense.

while i prefer KL to be like australian cities. green and clean. less congested, less polluted.



nice....
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #3724
berdnerd
In the brig
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 309
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
most of them are typical. over congested, over polluted. but i wonder why forumers from those cities feel so happy about being dense.

while i prefer KL to be like australian cities. green and clean. less congested, less polluted.



nice....
totally agree....i dun see any good about hving a dense skyline.....i prefer living in a city with many historic structures & buildings, clean and not very polluted as well

me myself is living in bkk...but the place i prefer to spend my weekend the most is simply not in the inner city but around Rattakosin island and nearby or go for dinner at Yaowarat (Chinatown)





berdnerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #3725
Shapoor
Highrise Resident
 
Shapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: COV / LDN
Posts: 2,103
Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
most of them are typical. over congested, over polluted. but i wonder why forumers from those cities feel so happy about being dense.

while i prefer KL to be like australian cities. green and clean. less congested, less polluted.


nice....
+1

Another problem that some Asian skyline have is that they're built right next to suburbs. There are not many mid-rise buildings around the skyscrapers

KL
image hosted on flickr


Makati
__________________
My London photos | Tehran - Urban landscape and neighbourhoods | Noir et Blanc: Téhéran
Shapoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #3726
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips
 
World 2 World's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 5,629
Likes (Received): 4306

KL





image hosted on flickr

by hazim23894
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #3727
OshHisham
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Damansara Kim
Posts: 3,881
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapoor View Post
+1

Another problem that some Asian skyline have is that they're built right next to suburbs. There are not many mid-rise buildings around the skyscrapers

KL
image hosted on flickr
pretty wrong there. just wanna let you know that the low rise houses there is Kampung Baru (New Village). the oldest malay settlement in Kuala Lumpur, established in 1889-1900. and important to know that the land there is a malay reserved land. a piece of land which can't be sold or purchased by non-malay. and it will be there........forever! as a future plan to turn into tourism asset as 'village in the city' (not slum!)

and we don't call it 'suburb'! ...bored already explaining the same thing here...

here is KL as seen from KL Tower. and i hope no more smarty arses saying the green parts are 'underdeveloped' part of KL

by Peter SA Karlsson of Flickr!

East view
image hosted on flickr


North view
image hosted on flickr


South view
image hosted on flickr


East view
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by OshHisham; May 26th, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #3728
quiksilver04
Z6 agent
 
quiksilver04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Manila
Posts: 122
Likes (Received): 0

KL is very spacious.. impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhek View Post
Makati City, Metro Manila

image hosted on flickr
the ayala triangle is so green! it somehow resembles central park..
so cool!
__________________
----The PhilippineS----
Party like a Rockstar!
quiksilver04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #3729
GoSatta
Rex Dominus
 
GoSatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stockholm / Bangkok
Posts: 1,388
Likes (Received): 257

i rather have a mix of highrises, lowrises, dense, "suburb" in the same place instead of doing like we do here in Sweden, building the suburbs miles and miles away from the inner city witch makes the city extremely segregated nad make people depended on cars to get around etc.

what makes for example Bangkok a living city is the mix of everything in the same areas.
__________________
GoSatta
www.gosatta.org - Pictures
GoSatta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #3730
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
sad to realize that despite having one of world's most beautiful skyline, most of HK colonial heritage buildings are all gone...
Most, but not all. There is still hope...

One particular beauty has just been restored/preserved - The old Marine Police Headquarters





I won't further spam the thread with unnecessary images - apologies.

More about it here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=615725

Having said all that, whilst my first impressions of the new Star Ferry Pier weren't so great (still disappointed they didn't do something with the old one as a monument), I think it will age very well.

Also, the Central Police Station should be well preserved in years to come, along with the Wan Chai one. Don't see them tearing those down any time soon.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #3731
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

To make up for that spam, here is a skyline picture.

image hosted on flickr
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #3732
manila_eye
Idiot Killer
 
manila_eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Moritz
Posts: 1,031
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
most of them are typical. over congested, over polluted. but i wonder why forumers from those cities feel so happy about being dense.

while i prefer KL to be like australian cities. green and clean. less congested, less polluted.
I so agree with you. Dense city makes me feel I'm claustrophobic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSatta View Post
i rather have a mix of highrises, lowrises, dense, "suburb" in the same place instead of doing like we do here in Sweden, building the suburbs miles and miles away from the inner city witch makes the city extremely segregated nad make people depended on cars to get around etc.

what makes for example Bangkok a living city is the mix of everything in the same areas.
It's because most Asian developing countries have bigger population and have to rely on public transportation to go around that's why keeping close to the city is a need. There is not much clearance from suburb to city as houses are all over. In Sweden and other Developed nations that have less population you all need to be scattered.
__________________
Can we unanimously agree that the Catholic Church is run by morons? - Mark Twain
manila_eye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #3733
OshHisham
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Damansara Kim
Posts: 3,881
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
I won't further spam the thread with unnecessary images - apologies.

Don't see them tearing those down any time soon.
it's not SPAMming. remember, this thread is about DISCUSS, not COPY PASTE photos.

yeah, they are not tearing it anymore as a law has been passed, as what i know
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #3734
Shapoor
Highrise Resident
 
Shapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: COV / LDN
Posts: 2,103
Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
pretty wrong there. just wanna let you know that the low rise houses there is Kampung Baru (New Village). the oldest malay settlement in Kuala Lumpur, established in 1889-1900. and important to know that the land there is a malay reserved land. a piece of land which can't be sold or purchased by non-malay. and it will be there........forever! as a future plan to turn into tourism asset as 'village in the city' (not slum!)

and we don't call it 'suburb'! ...bored already explaining the same thing here...

here is KL as seen from KL Tower. and i hope no more smarty arses saying the green parts are 'underdeveloped' part of KL

by Peter SA Karlsson of Flickr!
It's not about it not being a suburb or slum.

There is obviously a reason why there is so much difference between Sydney's and KL's skyline. Look how packed Sydney's clusters is, the mid-rises help to create a dense feel. KL's cluster is spread out with low rises between the skyscrapers. The mid-rise buildings make you feel the size of the buildings too, because then you have something next to the taller buildings to compare with.
__________________
My London photos | Tehran - Urban landscape and neighbourhoods | Noir et Blanc: Téhéran

Last edited by Shapoor; May 26th, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Shapoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #3735
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,386
Likes (Received): 2582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapoor View Post
It's not about it not being a suburb or slum.

There is obviously a reason why there is so much difference between Sydney's and KL's skyline. Look how packed Sydney's clusters is, the mid-rises help to create a dense feel. KL's cluster is spread out with low rises between the skyscrapers. The mid-rise buildings make you feel the size of the buildings too, because then you have something next to the taller buildings to compare with.
Alot of Asian cities have that same feel as KL. Manila and Shanghai also has the same feel.

Density wise. I don't mind having dense high-rises in the city centre especially in the CBD but suburban areas should keep it low-rise.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #3736
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,386
Likes (Received): 2582

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdnerd View Post
apart from Tokyo, Hongkong and probably Singapore.....most Asian cities back then was still pretty a chunk of empty space and commuinty forest u know.....well ....it might be some highrise buildings but not as much man

same for Manila, makati, Jakarta, Bkk, KL or wherever...
True but these cities you mentioned took several decades for their city to grow. Shenzhen and Dubai's growth rate is fast.

HK in a way also experience high-rise growth especially in Kowloon. Before Kai-Tak closed down, buildings in Kowloon had a strict height limit. Afterwards, high-rises sprouted up including the future tallest HK scraper.

Anyway, Manila and Makati are both the same metro.

As for Sydney and most Aussie cities, they fit well with North American cities.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #3737
tabz
lurker..
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 56
Likes (Received): 0

.. i have a feeling that SE asians hates filipinos... browse the whole thread and you will see
tabz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #3738
Ten
== Lord of Skeleton ==
 
Ten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 2,104
Likes (Received): 212

Ratdamri area, BKK






Ten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #3739
OshHisham
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Damansara Kim
Posts: 3,881
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapoor View Post
It's not about it not being a suburb or slum.

There is obviously a reason why there is so much difference between Sydney's and KL's skyline. Look how packed Sydney's clusters is, the mid-rises help to create a dense feel. KL's cluster is spread out with low rises between the skyscrapers. The mid-rise buildings make you feel the size of the buildings too, because then you have something next to the taller buildings to compare with.
some cities like HK and Tokyo has very limited land lot with insane pricing. to handle this, they need to be as close to another as possible to maximise the land usage. the result is as we can see now.

while in KL, there's a regulation commanding the developer/building owner to allocate some portion of land (i'm not sure the ratio) on their ground.

im not sure about Sydney. i believe the CBD area had been drawn as such since long time ago....

well, cities' regulation is actually determine how a city will look...
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #3740
Secaundis
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabz View Post
.. i have a feeling that SE asians hates filipinos... browse the whole thread and you will see
Feeling ko nga. Especially yung mga tga-Hongkong!
Secaundis no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu