daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #3741
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,387
Likes (Received): 2573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secaundis View Post
Feeling ko nga. Especially yung mga tga-Hongkong!
Hey I'm a HKer and I don't have a problem with Pinoys. And those so called "South East Asians" do not like forumers who over-act whether they're Filipinos, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc. I'm actually half

English please this isn't the Filipino section
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #3742
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,387
Likes (Received): 2573

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
some cities like HK and Tokyo has very limited land lot with insane pricing. to handle this, they need to be as close to another as possible to maximise the land usage. the result is as we can see now.

while in KL, there's a regulation commanding the developer/building owner to allocate some portion of land (i'm not sure the ratio) on their ground.

im not sure about Sydney. i believe the CBD area had been drawn as such since long time ago....

well, cities' regulation is actually determine how a city will look...
Yes real estate prices in HK is high because of limited land. But if HK had more land, it would be cheaper. But also less the number of high-rise that you see today. Also, alot of the territory's land is reclaimed. Alot of New Towns or even the tallest buildings were built on reclaimed land.

Tokyo has some land within the outskirts but the urban centre is large. Tokyo is the largest city in the world!
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #3743
Secaundis
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Hey I'm a HKer and I don't have a problem with Pinoys. And those so called "South East Asians" do not like forumers who over-act whether they're Filipinos, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc. I'm actually half

English please this isn't the Filipino section
Many people here "hates" pinoys but I don't know why..
Secaundis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #3744
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,387
Likes (Received): 2573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secaundis View Post
Many people here "hates" pinoys but I don't know why..
Again only those who over-act. Sometimes, taking it to the extreme does more harm than good
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3745
tollfreak
Valid User
 
tollfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 1,856
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
True but these cities you mentioned took several decades for their city to grow. Shenzhen and Dubai's growth rate is fast.

HK in a way also experience high-rise growth especially in Kowloon. Before Kai-Tak closed down, buildings in Kowloon had a strict height limit. Afterwards, high-rises sprouted up including the future tallest HK scraper.

Anyway, Manila and Makati are both the same metro.

As for Sydney and most Aussie cities, they fit well with North American cities.
This is similar found in most South east Asian cities who have airports less than 10km away from the CBD. It seems that an airport is putting a stray on the skyscraper development and investor willingness of an area , but now some regions are planning/already have int'l airports very far away from the city such as KLIA(50 km), Tokyo(70 km) and even Bandung,Indonesia whose infrastructure is not developed plans to have an airport 60 km from the city.

Going back to skylines, by looking at the pictures in this thread, asian skylines have more space to breath in from the skyscraper jungle than western ones IMO but still looks stunning from an aerial view
tollfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #3746
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?
 
Imperfect Ending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 10,759
Likes (Received): 452

Bangkok



By Barth






From Flickr By jarvisphotography
image hosted on flickr


from Oasis-Bangkok
image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr
__________________


Last edited by Imperfect Ending; May 27th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #3747
deepblue01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 859
Likes (Received): 66

I kind of like the KL skyline. It may not have a river or lake near by like many other asian skylines such as KL, GZ, SG, shanghai and some of the australian cities like perth and sydney, but its not too clustered nor is it too spread out. I won't like it if the Petronas were covered by tall buildings surrounding it, like the Empire State Building. The petronas look so magical at night time, imagine having tall buildings around it for the sake of density? it would be like a hidden treasure
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #3748
berdnerd
In the brig
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 309
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabz View Post
.. i have a feeling that SE asians hates filipinos... browse the whole thread and you will see
why would we? we all luv each others...don't we hahahahah

philipinos are pretty cool though!! they are real nice and friendly
berdnerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #3749
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...
 
gladisimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SF, FC, HK
Posts: 2,525
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secaundis View Post
Feeling ko nga. Especially yung mga tga-Hongkong!
I don't hate Filipinos, in fact I had a gf who was half Flip, but your statement made me think twice about you...
__________________
I left my <3 in HK

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3750
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Back to posting skyline pictures then.

Kowloon, originally posted by Skybean in the ICC construction thread.

image hosted on flickr


Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pieprin...7618758241385/
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #3751
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?
 
Imperfect Ending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 10,759
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabz View Post
.. i have a feeling that SE asians hates filipinos... browse the whole thread and you will see

I think Filipinos are just overly competitive with everything, even against eachother... which isn't a bad thing but it might irritate hehe <3
But I think Filipinos are the friendliest people out of all SEAsia... they can actually get along with people when approached.
DOESN'T MEAN I LIKE THEM!!!!!!!
__________________


Last edited by Imperfect Ending; May 27th, 2009 at 10:54 PM.
Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #3752
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,387
Likes (Received): 2573

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollfreak View Post
This is similar found in most South east Asian cities who have airports less than 10km away from the CBD. It seems that an airport is putting a stray on the skyscraper development and investor willingness of an area , but now some regions are planning/already have int'l airports very far away from the city such as KLIA(50 km), Tokyo(70 km) and even Bandung,Indonesia whose infrastructure is not developed plans to have an airport 60 km from the city.

Going back to skylines, by looking at the pictures in this thread, asian skylines have more space to breath in from the skyscraper jungle than western ones IMO but still looks stunning from an aerial view
A perfect example would be Singapore. They still have a 280 metre height restriction in their buildings. Unfortunately, Changi will still be there and they don't have plans to move their airport.

Kai-Tak on the other hand was at the heart of the city. It was very close to Central and Wan Chai. But we were able to build supertalls right close to Kai-Tak. Take Central Plaza for example. It was the tallest building in Asia when it was completed and its distance from Kai-Tak isn't far.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #3753
GoSatta
Rex Dominus
 
GoSatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stockholm / Bangkok
Posts: 1,388
Likes (Received): 257

well hong kong is a bit different . .the mountains are there and no building are taller then the mountains so the buildings made no impact for the air planes. . and they all flew over the water anyway.. .

but ofcource they could make similar solutions in other cities but then you have to cut down the number of flights if they only can use certain corridors .. witch probably is a big reason to why they moved the airport in HK
__________________
GoSatta
www.gosatta.org - Pictures
GoSatta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #3754
Mospeada
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: aishiteru^^
Posts: 82
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secaundis View Post
Many people here "hates" pinoys but I don't know why..
because some of them are annoying.

they think they have the best skylines..the best singer..the best bla bla..

and i guess that's why they don't want to belong in the same group under Asian skyscraper....
Mospeada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #3755
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,387
Likes (Received): 2573

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSatta View Post
well hong kong is a bit different . .the mountains are there and no building are taller then the mountains so the buildings made no impact for the air planes. . and they all flew over the water anyway.. .

but ofcource they could make similar solutions in other cities but then you have to cut down the number of flights if they only can use certain corridors .. witch probably is a big reason to why they moved the airport in HK
Check out Highcliff & Summit. These are 70+ story luxury apartment buildings built on a higher altitude of The Peak.



But it really doesn't affect the skyline that much

__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #3756
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,387
Likes (Received): 2573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mospeada View Post
because some of them are annoying.

they think they have the best skylines..the best singer..the best bla bla..

and i guess that's why they don't want to belong in the same group under Asian skyscraper....
Skyline? Manila's skyline is fine but certainly not the best in Asia. But when it comes to singers, they are among the best
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #3757
RonnieR
Registered User
 
RonnieR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Metro Manila
Posts: 4,513
Likes (Received): 2714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mospeada View Post
because some of them are annoying.

they think they have the best skylines..the best singer..the best bla bla..

and i guess that's why they don't want to belong in the same group under Asian skyscraper....
annoying? or cultural differences? in fact, you would hear in the US some filipinos who don't want to be called Asians but Pacific Islanders

Asians, yes, geographically, but I think to some extent, Filipinos are just too liberal minded and opinionated - you should see how the students would address the teachers, the discussions are not the typical "yes Sir, yes Ma'am thing". debate is a big thing in campuses and there is even a regular show on TV about college and high school debates, thus you would hear them debating endlessly against their Asian counterparts, if challenged. Filipinos actually excel in debating, singing, arts, etc.... almost in every filipino home, singing is a hobby.

Another thing is western influence - colonial thing...Filipinos generally don't look up to their ASian neighbors but to the US or Caucasians in general be in fashion, food, shows, etc. ... you ask the ordinary filipino in the street and if you show him two products one is Made in USA and one is Made in i.e. any Asian country, most likely, the choice is the American product. (I'm not saying that this is correct).

I just hope that once you understand our culture, you would appreciate the Philippines more.

Cheers.
RonnieR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #3758
RonnieR
Registered User
 
RonnieR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Metro Manila
Posts: 4,513
Likes (Received): 2714

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Check out Highcliff & Summit. These are 70+ story luxury apartment buildings built on a higher altitude of The Peak.



But it really doesn't affect the skyline that much
Highcliff and Summit is fantastic.
RonnieR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #3759
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,387
Likes (Received): 2573

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieR View Post
annoying? or cultural differences? in fact, you would hear in the US some filipinos who don't want to be called Asians but Pacific Islanders

Asians, yes, geographically, but I think to some extent, Filipinos are just too liberal minded and opinionated - you should see how the students would address the teachers, the discussions are not the typical "yes Sir, yes Ma'am thing". debate is a big thing in campuses and there is even a regular show on TV about college and high school debates, thus you would hear them debating endlessly against their Asian counterparts, if challenged. Filipinos actually excel in debating, singing, arts, etc.... almost in every filipino home, singing is a hobby.

Another thing is western influence - colonial thing...Filipinos generally don't look up to their ASian neighbors but to the US or Caucasians in general be in fashion, food, shows, etc. ... you ask the ordinary filipino in the street and if you show him two products one is Made in USA and one is Made in i.e. any Asian country, most likely, the choice is the American product. (I'm not saying that this is correct).

I just hope that once you understand our culture, you would appreciate the Philippines more.

Cheers.
Some of these so-called Filipino Americans have never set foot on Philippine soil or even The Old World! So they get clueless what ethnicity they are.

How about a choice between American or European products what would Filipinos choose?

As for Highcliff and Summit, the area where its at is laid back, serine and offers a good view of most of HK Island especially those living in the upper floors. But I would never wanted to live there!
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by Manila-X; May 29th, 2009 at 05:34 AM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #3760
RonnieR
Registered User
 
RonnieR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Metro Manila
Posts: 4,513
Likes (Received): 2714

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
How about a choice between American or European products what would Filipinos choose?
the cheaper one

Filipinos have strong Spanish influence - in culture and esp. religion, and this country is part of EU... but the affinity to Latin culture is evident compared to the rest of Asia.
RonnieR no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu