daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #3761
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
A perfect example would be Singapore. They still have a 280 metre height restriction in their buildings. Unfortunately, Changi will still be there and they don't have plans to move their airport.

Kai-Tak on the other hand was at the heart of the city. It was very close to Central and Wan Chai. But we were able to build supertalls right close to Kai-Tak. Take Central Plaza for example. It was the tallest building in Asia when it was completed and its distance from Kai-Tak isn't far.
i think we should leave this part to those expert in aviation....
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #3762
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

This dull debate almost makes me long for substandard Jakarta street pictures.

ALMOST being the operative word.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #3763
japanese001

Likes (Received): 708

A Japanese dislikes the country which does not respect old culture.

Last edited by japanese001; May 29th, 2009 at 03:43 AM.
japanese001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #3764
Secaundis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Skyline? Manila's skyline is fine but certainly not the best in Asia. But when it comes to singers, they are among the best
Secaundis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #3765
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
A perfect example would be Singapore. They still have a 280 metre height restriction in their buildings. Unfortunately, Changi will still be there and they don't have plans to move their airport.
Its not Changi. Its Paya Lebar, old international airport thats still used by Army and maintainance companies.

If you check GE, its approach path is directly over Marina South, next to the CBD...
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #3766
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

my most favourite Malaysian city, George Town, Penang

image hosted on flickr

looking from Gurney Drive.
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #3767
manila_eye
Idiot Killer

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mospeada View Post
because some of them are annoying.

they think they have the best skylines..the best singer..the best bla bla..

and i guess that's why they don't want to belong in the same group under Asian skyscraper....
Best skyline nope. Best singers probably...

Our section is not part of Asian Skyscraper because of the number of Filipino users and members of this site. The admin sees the need to remove us from that group because there is a need through the demand

Quote:
How about a choice between American or European products what would Filipinos choose?
I would personally choose the European product. It has more class and prestige but for the commoners, they'll choose which is cheaper
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #3768
tollfreak
Valid User

Likes (Received): 9

Some NON Street Pictures of Jakarta by abel77 , sorry if some of Indonesia SSC's forumers post cityscape instead of skyline photos.

tollfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #3769
berdnerd
In the brig

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieR View Post
annoying? or cultural differences? in fact, you would hear in the US some filipinos who don't want to be called Asians but Pacific Islanders

Asians, yes, geographically, but I think to some extent, Filipinos are just too liberal minded and opinionated - you should see how the students would address the teachers, the discussions are not the typical "yes Sir, yes Ma'am thing". debate is a big thing in campuses and there is even a regular show on TV about college and high school debates, thus you would hear them debating endlessly against their Asian counterparts, if challenged. Filipinos actually excel in debating, singing, arts, etc.... almost in every filipino home, singing is a hobby.

Another thing is western influence - colonial thing...Filipinos generally don't look up to their ASian neighbors but to the US or Caucasians in general be in fashion, food, shows, etc. ... you ask the ordinary filipino in the street and if you show him two products one is Made in USA and one is Made in i.e. any Asian country, most likely, the choice is the American product. (I'm not saying that this is correct).

I just hope that once you understand our culture, you would appreciate the Philippines more.

Cheers.

that's make me know a little more abt Philippinoes.......i know that being Asian is not always what u want but for me as Thai....i'm very proud to be Asian....simply because we all have a same tie of culture and behavior....they are all so unique and special......

u wanna be islanders? go ahead and do it....u wanna be Westerner...so better disguise urself well enough

u are different romu s....think what u want...we dun give ashit!!! i dun blame u but ur atiitudes hyst annoy me somehow

USA is simply ur dad man....happy enough??? soooo proud being a fake usa citizen........so prouf of having such a dense skyline and very developed
country while the majority of ur ppl arte suffering from poverty and civil unrest.......so proud living in polluted city while more than half of ur ppl are in hunger\

sooo proud?!!!

ur comment piss me off...as well as other si'm sure!!

ichanged my mind now...pinoys are bunch of those who losed thier own identity and shit...and admire USA as thier damn god mann
berdnerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #3770
manila_eye
Idiot Killer

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdnerd View Post
that's make me know a little more abt Philippinoes.......i know that being Asian is not always what u want but for me as Thai....i'm very proud to be Asian....simply because we all have a same tie of culture and behavior....they are all so unique and special......

u wanna be islanders? go ahead and do it....u wanna be Westerner...so better disguise urself well enough

u are different romu s....think what u want...we dun give ashit!!! i dun blame u but ur atiitudes hyst annoy me somehow

USA is simply ur dad man....happy enough??? soooo proud being a fake usa citizen........so prouf of having such a dense skyline and very developed
country while the majority of ur ppl arte suffering from poverty and civil unrest.......so proud living in polluted city while more than half of ur ppl are in hunger\

sooo proud?!!!

ichanged my mind now...pinoys are bunch of those who losed thier own identity and shit...and admire USA as thier damn god mann
could you translate that in english? please.
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #3771
Secaundis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Proud to be pinoy. Haha
Secaundis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #3772
Waldenstrom
>>---->

Likes (Received): 50

Proud to be Pinoy? There's nothing to be proud of what you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secaundis View Post
Many people here "hates" pinoys but I don't know why..
You don't know? Kindly browse through this thread and you'll know why.

I'm also a Pinoy and I hate fellow Pinoys who are too proud of themselves. Also, I hate those who just post ugly pics of Manila skyline.

Quote:

sooo proud?!!!

I'm sorry to hear that Berdnerd but RonnieR just explained why some Pinoys act such and he didn't intend to generalize the whole Pinoys.

I am an Asian and I'm proud of my heritage. Most Pinoys are also proud to be Asians to but our country our culture is different. It was mixed with Western influences so some of us don't feel 'attached' to Asia. US is not our dad. US-Phils. has a very strong tie. Read our history and you'll understand.

"majority of ur ppl arte suffering from poverty and civil unrest.......so proud living in polluted city while more than half of ur ppl are in hunger"-: Almost all of us here come from a 3rd world country or your country was once a 3rd world country so there's no point of saying that. Almost all country has been through poverty and civil unrest even once in their nation's history.

Anyway, enough of this drama! We're supposed to talk about Skylines... LOLs. Sorry for the OT. just clearing things up.
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #3773
bOrN2BwILd
wE LiVe to DiE...

Likes (Received): 816

penang is like the gold coast/miami version of asia...
one of my faves..
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #3774
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOrN2BwILd View Post
penang is like the gold coast/miami version of asia...
one of my faves..
I was thinking of Pattaya!

But Penang has a really nice skyline. Reminds me of BKK in a way. In fact if you get rid of Komtar Plaza in the background. The pic would be mistaken for BKK.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by Manila-X; May 29th, 2009 at 05:37 AM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #3775
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by manila_eye View Post
Best skyline nope. Best singers probably...

Our section is not part of Asian Skyscraper because of the number of Filipino users and members of this site. The admin sees the need to remove us from that group because there is a need through the demand

I would personally choose the European product. It has more class and prestige but for the commoners, they'll choose which is cheaper
The Philippines is part of the Asian skyscraper section but it is an independent section just like India.

If you noticed, The United Arab Emirates is also an independent section in SSC but its under The Middle East.

Old May 29th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #3776
bOrN2BwILd
wE LiVe to DiE...

Likes (Received): 816

Quote:
I was thinking of Pattaya!

But Penang has a really nice skyline. Reminds me of HK in a way.
ohh pattaya... yeah pattaya's skyline is pretty awesome too...
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #3777
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOrN2BwILd View Post
ohh pattaya... yeah pattaya's skyline is pretty awesome too...
Pattaya is a beach town. In fact the future tallest in Thailand will be built there

Old May 29th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #3778
jpdm
makabayan

Likes (Received): 5919

Quote:

sooo proud?!!!

Im a Pinoy and Im Asian. And Im very proud of my Oriental heritage.

Maybe some Pinoys think they are Westerners. But not me.

When I was in Singapore, A Singaporean even mistaken me as a Chinese but proudly told the guy that Im a Filipino tourist.

Honestly, you know nothing about Pinoys.

And people like you, ignorant about the Philippines pisses me off too.

Civil unrest? Were did you get that? perhaps you are talking about Southern Thailand or Bangkok....

How about your country? Are you free from poverty or you just hiding the fact that there are still lots of Thais who are wallowing in poverty?

So what is the connection of manila skyline with poverty? Can you explain it to me?

Last edited by jpdm; May 29th, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
jpdm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #3779
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I think you guys should chill for a bit!

Old May 29th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #3780
berdnerd
In the brig

Likes (Received): 2

just realized that i misspell a lot last nite....

i think it's better to pull off such disscussion....but lastly, i knew that i might dun know Pinoys or Philippines well enough.....but what i had mentioned was somehow true i think

Thailand isn't developed country and we got heaps of problems to solve as well.....but we won't sell our spirit and identity for sure! i might be too exaggerated with what i had said i knew........ but i just hate it when ppl think they are more superior than others when actually they are not

Penang really looks like Bkk in some way......really nice city..charming without having a DENSE!! skyline like SOME city out there

very attractive!!
berdnerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam