daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #3781
berdnerd
In the brig

Likes (Received): 2

taken from: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2224/...3e5a888296.jpg

image hosted on flickr
berdnerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #3782
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

BKK's skyline looks cool @ night. Especially the lighting effects in skyscrapers like the one in Baiyoke II and Central World.

Look how cool this is!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #3783
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Other Asian skylines with cool lighting effects in its buildings!

Shanghai

and of course

HK

Old May 29th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #3784
bOrN2BwILd
wE LiVe to DiE...

Likes (Received): 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Pattaya is a beach town. In fact the future tallest in Thailand will be built there
ohh so that means BAIYOKE tower will soon be off the list?
that's great then....
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #3785
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOrN2BwILd View Post
ohh so that means BAIYOKE tower will soon be off the list?
that's great then....
That means Baiyoke II will still be tallest in BKK but not in Thailand.

Old May 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #3786
bOrN2BwILd
wE LiVe to DiE...

ahhh ukies..thanx
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #3787
RonnieR

Likes (Received): 2769

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdnerd View Post
just realized that i misspell a lot last nite....

i think it's better to pull off such disscussion....but lastly, i knew that i might dun know Pinoys or Philippines well enough.....but what i had mentioned was somehow true i think

Thailand isn't developed country and we got heaps of problems to solve as well.....but we won't sell our spirit and identity for sure! i might be too exaggerated with what i had said i knew........ but i just hate it when ppl think they are more superior than others when actually they are not
Quote:
that's make me know a little more abt Philippinoes.......i know that being Asian is not always what u want but for me as Thai....i'm very proud to be Asian....simply because we all have a same tie of culture and behavior....they are all so unique and special......

u wanna be islanders? go ahead and do it....u wanna be Westerner...so better disguise urself well enough

u are different romu s....think what u want...we dun give ashit!!! i dun blame u but ur atiitudes hyst annoy me somehow

USA is simply ur dad man....happy enough??? soooo proud being a fake usa citizen........so prouf of having such a dense skyline and very developed
country while the majority of ur ppl arte suffering from poverty and civil unrest.......so proud living in polluted city while more than half of ur ppl are in hunger\

sooo proud?!!!

ur comment piss me off...as well as other si'm sure!!

ichanged my mind now...pinoys are bunch of those who losed thier own identity and shit...and admire USA as thier damn god mann
a comment from a this Thai makes me sick...it really shows how shallow your knowledge about the PHilipines.

civil unrest? Where? When we had our People Power and changed government in 1986 (Marcos), another People Power in 2001 (Erap Estrada), nobody was killed unlike the recent one in BKK where everybody knows....no need to elaborate.

This is a silly and endless debate. Klang Toey in BKK is no different from the slums in Manila.

Of course, I'm proud of my heritage being an Asian but I'm also proud of my country's colonial history - you can't take that away. You can't blame the Filipinos if they have this affinity towards the USA. It's in history books taught at schools - the liberators from WW II, the first educators (they brought teachers at the start of American occupation). Spain sold the Philippines to USA in 1898, don't you know that? Since early 1900s, the Filipinos became immigrants in the US.

Fast forward, even today, the standards in schools such as for Accountancy, medicines, etc. got references (if not patterned) after the US. Even the judicial laws - hearing, promulgations are in English.

As I said, I never claim in all my posts that the Philippines is a developed country but it's a developing country like Thailand, clear?
RonnieR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #3788
bOrN2BwILd
wE LiVe to DiE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
unbelievable shot (by Dequal)
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #3789
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieR View Post
Since early 1900s, the Filipinos became immigrants in the US.
Actually long before 1900's Filipinos have been in the United States. One of the acknowledge founders of El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula (Los Angeles, CA) is a Filipino named Antonio Miranda Rodriguez. Also, on July 24, 1870, the Filipino residents of Louisiana, USA founded the first Filipino social club called Sociedad de Beneficencia de los Hispano Filipinos.

Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #3790
RonnieR

Quote:
I think you guys should chill for a bit!
Thanks for the reminder....on a positive note, I admire Thailand, for being a country in Asia that was not colonized....

Last edited by RonnieR; May 29th, 2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #3791
RonnieR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
Actually long before 1900's Filipinos have been in the United States. One of the acknowledge founders of El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula (Los Angeles, CA) is a Filipino named Antonio Miranda Rodriguez. Also, on July 24, 1870, the Filipino residents of Louisiana, USA founded the first Filipino social club called Sociedad de Beneficencia de los Hispano Filipinos.

thanks for the info...
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #3792
Waldenstrom
>>---->

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
but we won't sell our spirit and identity for sure! i might be too exaggerated with what i had said i knew........ but i just hate it when ppl think they are more superior than others when actually they are not
buddy, here's the answer to your statement...
Quote:
but lastly, i knew that i might dun know Pinoys or Philippines well enough.....
Read our history and understand our culture first before you conclude.

Peace.

Still, I love everything about Bangkok, the City of Angels. It's my favorite SEA city. The skyline is just awesome!
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #3793
RonnieR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldenstrom View Post
buddy, here's the answer to your statement...

Read our history and understand our culture first before you conclude.

Peace.
Gracias mi amigo.
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #3794
GoSatta
Rex Dominus

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
That means Baiyoke II will still be tallest in BKK but not in Thailand.
until this one gets build

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=809916
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #3795
jpdm
makabayan

Likes (Received): 5919

Quote:
just realized that i misspell a lot last nite....

i think it's better to pull off such disscussion....but lastly, i knew that i might dun know Pinoys or Philippines well enough.....but what i had mentioned was somehow true i think

Thailand isn't developed country and we got heaps of problems to solve as well.....but we won't sell our spirit and identity for sure! i might be too exaggerated with what i had said i knew........ but i just hate it when ppl think they are more superior than others when actually they are not
Finally you put some sense in your comments about the Philippines.

Again, not all Pinoys think that the US is their "daddy."

There are lots of Pinoys who are proud of their culture and their identity and of course their Asian heritage.

In fact we have not lost our sense of identity and it can be shown through our year round fiestas and festivals all over the country...

So dont generalized.

Anyway, Manila skyline is beautiful especially in Ortigas, Makati Area...

Alabang skyline is also ok.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #3796
RonnieR

festivals and fiestas were due to Spanish influence - the fiestas in honor of patron saints, the dances, the siesta, etc. It's pretty hard to distinguish what is pure Filipino without the foreign influence - i think we should refer to the animism, paganism, the tribes, indigenous, Aetas.
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #3797
jpdm
makabayan

Likes (Received): 5919

Quote:
festivals and fiestas were due to Spanish influence - the fiestas in honor of patron saints, the dances, the siesta, etc. It's pretty hard to distinguish what is pure Filipino without the foreign influence - i think we should refer to the animism, paganism, the tribes, indigenous, Aetas.
Fiestas that honor our Catholic saints...but festivals are different...as you said based on the celebrations of our barangays in pre-spanish times and still observed and revived by local communities now...

Remember our brand of Christianism is called by cultural experts as folk christianism...where anitos became saints and yet still believe in pre-spanish mysticism like anting-anting...which makes our culture definitely a mixture of various influences.....

And hopefully, this will also be reflected in our buildings and architecture to come up with a fusion of both Asian and Western influences...

I have seen the skyline in Cebu and it looks really great.

But of course I admire the Skyline of Shanghai (when I went there)...very cosmopolitan but very Chinese too...

From the posts here...Asian skylines are definitely beautiful...they have come along way....indeed...this is the Asian century!!
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #3798
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
I was thinking of Pattaya!

But Penang has a really nice skyline. Reminds me of BKK in a way. In fact if you get rid of Komtar Plaza in the background. The pic would be mistaken for BKK.
People knows Penang not for its skyline tho...

and not even close to BKK....bcoz the 'skyline' is actually condos facing the coast.

George Town is an old city....and UNESCO World Heritage Site

image hosted on flickr

George Town. any close to BKK? i don't think so...

image hosted on flickr

Pattaya (old photo i guess)
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #3799
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Penang....again! sorry

image hosted on flickr
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #3800
berdnerd
In the brig

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
a comment from a this Thai makes me sick...it really shows how shallow your knowledge about the PHilipines.

civil unrest? Where? When we had our People Power and changed government in 1986 (Marcos), another People Power in 2001 (Erap Estrada), nobody was killed unlike the recent one in BKK where everybody knows....no need to elaborate.

This is a silly and endless debate. Klang Toey in BKK is no different from the slums in Manila.

Of course, I'm proud of my heritage being an Asian but I'm also proud of my country's colonial history - you can't take that away. You can't blame the Filipinos if they have this affinity towards the USA. It's in history books taught at schools - the liberators from WW II, the first educators (they brought teachers at the start of American occupation). Spain sold the Philippines to USA in 1898, don't you know that? Since early 1900s, the Filipinos became immigrants in the US.

Fast forward, even today, the standards in schools such as for Accountancy, medicines, etc. got references (if not patterned) after the US. Even the judicial laws - hearing, promulgations are in English.

As I said, I never claim in all my posts that the Philippines is a developed country but it's a developing country like Thailand, clear?

response to all the comments from Pinoys......i was wrong saying that ur country was in civil unrest.....what i mean is the unrest somewhere in the South (if i wasn't get it wrong again this time) and i just wrote all that stuffs out of temper last nite cauz some of the comments were really self centered, overreality and etc.....and i didn't do much research abt ur history and stuff....so apologize here

btw i didn't mentioned even once that Thailand is a developed country...as said...let's chill
berdnerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam