daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #3901
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Sometime I find within some Asian cities are commerical/office developments are within rail or subway lines. HK is one perfect example. Commercial Developments are within the path of The MTR except the northern section Wan Chai.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #3902
nazrey

Likes (Received): 10726

Penang, Malaysia
by Venycal

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #3903
RonnieR

Likes (Received): 2713

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
That 6 lane highway ironically doesn't pass through Manila

Anyway what I meant of a unifying element is to have these so called cities under Manila instead of being separate cities competing for each other.
I think he is referring to highways that traverse several cities in M. Manila like EDSA, Skyway, South Superhighway, C5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchay View Post
All cities in ASEAN (SEA) are developing cities for the respective developing countries (except Singapore). As such there are many good as well as bad points for each of those cities.

KL itself is quite small in terms of population mass because almost every local stay miles away from the city. KL city itelf have very little middle class housing (mostly high-end housing), it's hard to find someone who lives above his shop in KL city like in HK. According to Emporis, KL has only 1,800,674 people in the city areas.

With its smaller population and yet KL manages to attract a large chunk of FDIs in SEA proves that it can achieve its vision to be a major city in Asia. Because of its proximity to the Straits of Malacca trading route (the world's busiest), KL today is home to SEA's 2nd best/largest in most economic indicators such as connectivity (port and airport), equity (stock market with 1000 companies listed, financial hub, investment banking), procurement, etc.

It is all these factors that will contribute to the development of the city, the infrastructure growth and of course the skyline as more demand for office space and housing for expatriates. But wonderfully the growth of KL is scatterred across the metropolitan areas, imagine having big company's highrise hq (such as BMW, Ericsson, IBM, Nestle, Deloitte, KPMG) at lowrise housing townships miles away from the city.

Anyway, I believe the most important thing is that all Asian cities must grow co-operatively with other Asian cities, and grow in a balanced way so that the lives of its residents will be improved to Western standards. One thing for sure is that KL is lacking in public transportation, maintenance, history/culture attractions....

(When writing the above I realised that a skyline grows in tandem with the city's activity in TRADE/PORTS??? Not sure.)
There's no doubt to that - KL has really improved in terms of infrastructures, skyline, economy. For non-Malaysians, or many Pinoys think that Mahathir did a great job in achieving these things. Sorry to those who don't like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
having too many municipal council may have some pros and cons. the pros (which suppose to be); efficiency in term of services, maintainence and social welfare.

while the cons; overlapping of laws and regulations among those authorities which may delay some developments.

i agree that rather competing, those cities better completing each other.
I agree. During Marcos time, we used to have a governor of Metro Manila - the wife of the former President, no other than the Queen of shoes, Imelda Marcos unfortunately, it was abolished after the People Power in 1986 and replaced with Metro Manila Development Authority based in Makati City. This agency has limited controls over the cities since they have their own ordinances or laws. This contributed to bickering among the mayors, the usual politicians...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldenstrom View Post
You clearly didn't understand what WANCH was saying. Unifying element means one government for the whole Metro Manila as in having one governor instead having to many mayors and transforming the cities into districts.

Manila is not Tokyo so no need to mention about it. We have a different situation in this city and country. And a city doesn't have to fulfill all those just to be called 'unified'.

"Manila can be Tokyo-like city. but they need to fulfill the above requirement. that's my opinion..."-Did WANCH say that? It only came from you. You just made a subtle attack to Manila.
Quote:
1) when i was mentioning Tokyo, i was referring to its streetlife as it is the main issue there. not the city structure.

2) i have no intention of 'subtle attack to manila'. i was just giving my personal point of views after what i've seen in manila. i was talking with WANCH about streetlife inside the city, and i hope you understand the topic that we've been discussed. if you think Manila is a very sensitive subject here, then i apologize and promise not to mention anything about Manila. Thank you.
Tokyo is incomparable to Manila, KL, Singapore, Jakarta, etc. ...everyone knows that...
RonnieR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #3904
Waldenstrom
>>---->

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
1) when i was mentioning Tokyo, i was referring to its streetlife as it is the main issue there. not the city structure.

2) i have no intention of 'subtle attack to manila'. i was just giving my personal point of views after what i've seen in manila. i was talking with WANCH about streetlife inside the city, and i hope you understand the topic that we've been discussed. if you think Manila is a very sensitive subject here, then i apologize and promise not to mention anything about Manila. Thank you.
Oh well. I was following all the posts here and I still couldn't understand why 'fulfilling those requirements of a Tokyo-like city' and 'having an excellent transportation' were mentioned while you were already talking about having a unifying element. Sorry, I wasn't able to see the connection of your post to streetlife. Anyway, it's already settled.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3905
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

nazrey, that's double post.
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #3906
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

^Hong Kong is KING! Hands down!
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #3907
patchay

Likes (Received): 1521

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieR View Post
Tokyo is incomparable to Manila, KL, Singapore, Jakarta, etc. ...everyone knows that...
obviously no SEA cities are comparable to Jap/Kor cities

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #3908
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtAkAw View Post
^Hong Kong is KING! Hands down!
TOTALLY AGREE
MelboyPete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #3909
berdnerd
In the brig

Likes (Received): 2

Manila seems to be a bif topic here......seems like a lot of people don't really like Manila?? whyyy???
berdnerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #3910
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdnerd View Post
Manila seems to be a bif topic here......seems like a lot of people don't really like Manila?? whyyy???
I don't find anything wrong with Manila. Its one of the coolest cities in Asia especially nightlife.

Old June 5th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #3911
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldenstrom View Post
Oh well. I was following all the posts here and I still couldn't understand why 'fulfilling those requirements of a Tokyo-like city' and 'having an excellent transportation' were mentioned while you were already talking about having a unifying element. Sorry, I wasn't able to see the connection of your post to streetlife. Anyway, it's already settled.
Transportation is not the subject between Manila and Tokyo but how the city should be organized especially its districts.

Old June 5th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #3912
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelboyPete View Post
TOTALLY AGREE
Honestly I don't think we should still be having this thread. The title of World's Best Skyline is always a toss between NY and HK and I wonder why in Asian perspective people are still arguing about it. It's so sad that such pointless discussion magnets the most annoying arguments SSCers can post.

Hong Kong is king, deal with it!
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #3913
bOrN2BwILd
wE LiVe to DiE...

Likes (Received): 816

NO! unless you make TOKYO as king ad HK as queen
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #3914
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOrN2BwILd View Post
NO! unless you make TOKYO as king ad HK as queen
Skyline-wise, HK is still king!

Old June 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #3915
ThaiSiamese

Likes (Received): 28

Bangkok

by Ian Fuller

by asiacamera

image hosted on flickr

ThaiSiamese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #3916
paradyto
entendre privilege

Just Promising.... TANGERANG, Banten Provice of Indonesia.

by Trip2Java

Karawaci A1 Street Circuits of Tangerang

Karawaci Towards of Evening

Last edited by paradyto; June 7th, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
paradyto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #3917
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

east shanghai districts.

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #3918
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #3919
adverg

Likes (Received): 2

@ Bernerd,
You got a sharp instinct, it's always been underrated Well I can't say anything, pls try to visit this country, nothings wrong with it. Bangkok is very nice in that picture, so massive...
adverg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #3920
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

penang is very beautiful!
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam