daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #4101
oliver999
starwar
 
oliver999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,136
Likes (Received): 1133

some parts of puxi eara

__________________
项羽问:怎么样?
骑兵们敬佩地回答:和大王说的一样!
oliver999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #4102
OshHisham
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Damansara Kim
Posts: 3,881
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSatta View Post
you people really like it? to me it looks like a bad city planning nightmare from the 70ts .. horrible, sterile and lifeless ..
city with horrific traffic condition, lack of space for pedestrian, large slum territory, few green area, the existing of 'dead spot' are the one we define as 'bad city planning'.

while your 'horrible, sterile and lifeless' is not covered in 'bad city planning' definition. i'm pretty sure about that

if you want to see bad city planing, go to chinese cities and some of south east asian cities...as well as indian cities...

and having millions of skyscrapers will not necessarily make a city 'good'.
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #4103
diz
Unregistered User
 
diz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland
Posts: 11,442
Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
i believe Fung shui plays a big part in determining how great the city looks...

having mountain backdrop like yokohama and honghong...

facing the sea and river confluence like singapore and sydney....

i don't know much about the fung shui, but i strongly believe of some of its ideas....

Makati, Jakarta, KL, doesn't look BOLD because it stands in a place where no any 'powerful' elements are....the 'qi'.
How can you believe something you don't know much about.

Qi is the flow of the essense of Feng Shui. Feng Shui means wind and water. Therefore, qi is the flow of wind and water, or life force. It's not due to the image of the city's surroundings along with natural wonders that makes good feng shui, but the use of these natural wonders to direct the flow of good qi throughout the city.

Hence, you cannot say that Jakarta or Makati or KL do not look bold all because they are not surrounded by powerful or elements which you use to label nice mountain backdrops and waterfronts and therefore giving them bad feng shui. Now, I'm not saying they have good feng shui either. What I'm saying is that you should learn your facts about these cities' use of feng shui first before making any comments.
__________________
PORTLAND » Development News | Public Transport
Urban Showcase » S8 only by diz
diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #4104
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

I think it's a load of bullqi personally.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #4105
OshHisham
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Damansara Kim
Posts: 3,881
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
How can you believe something you don't know much about.

What I'm saying is that you should learn your facts about these cities' use of feng shui first before making any comments.

first of all....no such thing a 'city uses of feng shui'!

it comes by 'accident'. the forefather of the city didn't come out with plan to suit the feng shui whatsoever...it was there 'accidentally'...

it was just a personal opinion by a guy who knows about feng shui to conclude about theory to relate Hong Hong and Singapore's economic success with it's location.

then i use his opinion to come with another theory of how a city skyline look by judging of its location. i even use photographic point of view of how a strong 'focus point' to make the skyline even bold.

if you don't agree, then i respect your right.
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4106
rY17
Vives
 
rY17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Duevens
Posts: 113
Likes (Received): 1

sigh*
rY17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4107
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa
 
Lastresorter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Malaysia untuk Orang Malaysia
Posts: 1,568
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
first of all....no such thing a 'city uses of feng shui'!

it comes by 'accident'. the forefather of the city didn't come out with plan to suit the feng shui whatsoever...it was there 'accidentally'...

it was just a personal opinion by a guy who knows about feng shui to conclude about theory to relate Hong Hong and Singapore's economic success with it's location.

then i use his opinion to come with another theory of how a city skyline look by judging of its location. i even use photographic point of view of how a strong 'focus point' to make the skyline even bold.

if you don't agree, then i respect your right.
Sorry to pour cold water on you, but there are cities/developers/city planners that "check" on Fengshui before they decide to build something in a city, thus making the "skyline" or the cityscape a place of good Fengshui. It doesn't come by "chance".

Some good examples can be found in the city close to your heart - KL. Petronas is built after checking certain elements in Fengshui - the number "8" has a lot to do with that. The fountain in between the twin towers and Public Bank Tower is a result of Fengshui. The "camel" ornament on the glass of Ambank Building in front of KL Tower is a result of Fengshui. Many developers in KL won't build houses facing certain directions to avoid bad Fengshui. There are just too many examples but with your lack of understanding on Fengshui, they are not easily spotted.

It's how the engineers integrate Fengshui into functional structures that accomplish the beauty of this ancient knowledge. Somehow, I have to agree with _00_deathscar on your "theory".
__________________
Towards A Home Where Dreams Soar. Towards A Nation of Justice and Equality.


- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.

Last edited by Lastresorter; July 28th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #4108
OshHisham
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Damansara Kim
Posts: 3,881
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastresorter View Post
Sorry to pour cold water on you, but there are cities/developers/city planners that "check" on Fengshui before they decide to build something in a city, thus making the "skyline" or the cityscape a place of good Fengshui. It doesn't come by "chance".

Some good examples can be found in the city close to your heart - KL. Petronas is built after checking certain elements in Fengshui - the number "8" has a lot to do with that. The fountain in between the twin towers and Public Bank Tower is a result of Fengshui. The "camel" ornament on the glass of Ambank Building in front of KL Tower is a result of Fengshui. Many developers in KL won't build houses facing certain directions to avoid bad Fengshui. There are just too many examples but with your lack of understanding on Fengshui, they are not easily spotted.

It's how the engineers integrate Fengshui into functional structures that accomplish the beauty of this ancient knowledge. Somehow, I have to agree with _00_deathscar on your "theory".
your argument based on single/individual building.

but i'm talking about the whole group of skylines related to its location. location. location. and group of skylines. and group of skylines.

if you heard any company saying that their development and highrise r suit with feng shui, they are actually just doing MARKETING.

it's ok. asians r straight thinking people. they are not that easy to accept different, new ideas. i dont balme them. they r more interested in arguing who can build the highest building. who has the most numbers of highrise.....

btw, since when u become fan of Yasmin Ahmad? just after her death? i hope it is not for political purpose.
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #4109
tollfreak
Valid User
 
tollfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 1,856
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchay View Post
URUMQI, capital of Xinjiang Province PRChina

image hosted on flickr
the building on the right hand side of the picture looks similar to Liberty Place in Philadelphia:

tollfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #4110
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa
 
Lastresorter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Malaysia untuk Orang Malaysia
Posts: 1,568
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post

btw, since when u become fan of Yasmin Ahmad? just after her death? i hope it is not for political purpose.
You are absolutely disgusting! Yasmin Ahmad is loved by many and who are you to question people's intention of loving her! I've loved her works and respected her bravery to speak out the truth about the country. Give your shallow politics a break and please show some respect to her and those who love her!

I really wanna say F*ck You for the first time in SSC!
__________________
Towards A Home Where Dreams Soar. Towards A Nation of Justice and Equality.


- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #4111
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa
 
Lastresorter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Malaysia untuk Orang Malaysia
Posts: 1,568
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post

it's ok. asians r straight thinking people. they are not that easy to accept different, new ideas. i dont balme them. they r more interested in arguing who can build the highest building. who has the most numbers of highrise.....
Tell this to yourself first, please....

Either you don't see yourself as an Asian, or that you are a great Twister, twisting arguments here and there unlike the straight-thinking Asians.

Anyway, not gonna put more stuffs into your sh*t-filled brain that will "easily accept" different, new ideas.
__________________
Towards A Home Where Dreams Soar. Towards A Nation of Justice and Equality.


- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4112
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R
 
szehoong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 12,830
Likes (Received): 1812

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
your argument based on single/individual building.

but i'm talking about the whole group of skylines related to its location. location. location. and group of skylines. and group of skylines.

if you heard any company saying that their development and highrise r suit with feng shui, they are actually just doing MARKETING.

it's ok. asians r straight thinking people. they are not that easy to accept different, new ideas. i dont balme them. they r more interested in arguing who can build the highest building. who has the most numbers of highrise.....

btw, since when u become fan of Yasmin Ahmad? just after her death? i hope it is not for political purpose.

Can you stop shitting everywhere?

Doesn't mean that you've done shitting on the Malaysian Forums you could do so at every other forums. Although this forum isn't my jurisdiction doesn't mean I do not have 'friends' here. And doesn't mean that people here like you either.
__________________
The MALAYSIAN Forums
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #4113
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R
 
szehoong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 12,830
Likes (Received): 1812

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Hello Nina.
__________________
The MALAYSIAN Forums
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #4114
7freedom7
Ill get 6 pack abs
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beijing
Posts: 3,254
Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
横浜 YOKOHAMA MINATOMIRAI 21
Impressive
__________________
My Flickr photos
7freedom7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #4115
7freedom7
Ill get 6 pack abs
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beijing
Posts: 3,254
Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
i believe Fung shui plays a big part in determining how great the city looks...

having mountain backdrop like yokohama and honghong...

facing the sea and river confluence like singapore and sydney....

i don't know much about the fung shui, but i strongly believe of some of its ideas....

Makati, Jakarta, KL, doesn't look BOLD because it stands in a place where no any 'powerful' elements are....the 'qi'.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
it's ok. asians r straight thinking people. they are not that easy to accept different, new ideas. i dont balme them. they r more interested in arguing who can build the highest building. who has the most numbers of highrise.....
So you are a mix of half malay half something else(Indians?), then you think you dont belong to Asia and can stand out here?
__________________
My Flickr photos

Last edited by 7freedom7; July 28th, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
7freedom7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #4116
7freedom7
Ill get 6 pack abs
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beijing
Posts: 3,254
Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
I think it's a load of bullqi personally.
__________________
My Flickr photos
7freedom7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #4117
diz
Unregistered User
 
diz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland
Posts: 11,442
Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
first of all....no such thing a 'city uses of feng shui'!

it comes by 'accident'. the forefather of the city didn't come out with plan to suit the feng shui whatsoever...it was there 'accidentally'...

it was just a personal opinion by a guy who knows about feng shui to conclude about theory to relate Hong Hong and Singapore's economic success with it's location.

then i use his opinion to come with another theory of how a city skyline look by judging of its location. i even use photographic point of view of how a strong 'focus point' to make the skyline even bold.

if you don't agree, then i respect your right.
then you're rating a city based on how it appears with its surrounding environments. what you see in a city has nothing to do with feng shui.

so clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about.

good day.
__________________
PORTLAND » Development News | Public Transport
Urban Showcase » S8 only by diz
diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #4118
OshHisham
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Damansara Kim
Posts: 3,881
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong View Post
Can you stop shitting everywhere?

Doesn't mean that you've done shitting on the Malaysian Forums you could do so at every other forums. Although this forum isn't my jurisdiction doesn't mean I do not have 'friends' here. And doesn't mean that people here like you either.
pure disgusting...

oh my...

if you don't have better reason to argue the theory, why don't you just shut up? i never did anything wrong pointing out the idea, and never insult any city without reasons. yet i received a very harsh personal attack by even a moderator. i don't know where he put his integrity. gawd...talking with peoples here really becoming lame and boring.

i don't think Darwin could enjoy talking with peoples here...

oh, perhaps only spamming photos of skyline could work here. like this...




Last edited by OshHisham; July 29th, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #4119
diz
Unregistered User
 
diz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland
Posts: 11,442
Likes (Received): 1284

DARWIN!? Oh gawd... EPIC FAIL.
__________________
PORTLAND » Development News | Public Transport
Urban Showcase » S8 only by diz
diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #4120
OtAkAw
BUMMED
 
OtAkAw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Makati
Posts: 2,484
Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
i believe Fung shui plays a big part in determining how great the city looks...
I could name so many cities that look so good, and I'm pretty sure Feng Shui was out of their equation. So good they look better than those who may have used Feng Shui!
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu