daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #4101
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1133

some parts of puxi eara

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #4102
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSatta View Post
you people really like it? to me it looks like a bad city planning nightmare from the 70ts .. horrible, sterile and lifeless ..
city with horrific traffic condition, lack of space for pedestrian, large slum territory, few green area, the existing of 'dead spot' are the one we define as 'bad city planning'.

while your 'horrible, sterile and lifeless' is not covered in 'bad city planning' definition. i'm pretty sure about that

if you want to see bad city planing, go to chinese cities and some of south east asian cities...as well as indian cities...

and having millions of skyscrapers will not necessarily make a city 'good'.
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #4103
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
i believe Fung shui plays a big part in determining how great the city looks...

having mountain backdrop like yokohama and honghong...

facing the sea and river confluence like singapore and sydney....

i don't know much about the fung shui, but i strongly believe of some of its ideas....

Makati, Jakarta, KL, doesn't look BOLD because it stands in a place where no any 'powerful' elements are....the 'qi'.
How can you believe something you don't know much about.

Qi is the flow of the essense of Feng Shui. Feng Shui means wind and water. Therefore, qi is the flow of wind and water, or life force. It's not due to the image of the city's surroundings along with natural wonders that makes good feng shui, but the use of these natural wonders to direct the flow of good qi throughout the city.

Hence, you cannot say that Jakarta or Makati or KL do not look bold all because they are not surrounded by powerful or elements which you use to label nice mountain backdrops and waterfronts and therefore giving them bad feng shui. Now, I'm not saying they have good feng shui either. What I'm saying is that you should learn your facts about these cities' use of feng shui first before making any comments.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #4104
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

I think it's a load of bullqi personally.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #4105
OshHisham
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
How can you believe something you don't know much about.

What I'm saying is that you should learn your facts about these cities' use of feng shui first before making any comments.

first of all....no such thing a 'city uses of feng shui'!

it comes by 'accident'. the forefather of the city didn't come out with plan to suit the feng shui whatsoever...it was there 'accidentally'...

it was just a personal opinion by a guy who knows about feng shui to conclude about theory to relate Hong Hong and Singapore's economic success with it's location.

then i use his opinion to come with another theory of how a city skyline look by judging of its location. i even use photographic point of view of how a strong 'focus point' to make the skyline even bold.

if you don't agree, then i respect your right.
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4106
rY17
Vives

Likes (Received): 1

sigh*
rY17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4107
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

it comes by 'accident'. the forefather of the city didn't come out with plan to suit the feng shui whatsoever...it was there 'accidentally'...

it was just a personal opinion by a guy who knows about feng shui to conclude about theory to relate Hong Hong and Singapore's economic success with it's location.

then i use his opinion to come with another theory of how a city skyline look by judging of its location. i even use photographic point of view of how a strong 'focus point' to make the skyline even bold.

Sorry to pour cold water on you, but there are cities/developers/city planners that "check" on Fengshui before they decide to build something in a city, thus making the "skyline" or the cityscape a place of good Fengshui. It doesn't come by "chance".

Some good examples can be found in the city close to your heart - KL. Petronas is built after checking certain elements in Fengshui - the number "8" has a lot to do with that. The fountain in between the twin towers and Public Bank Tower is a result of Fengshui. The "camel" ornament on the glass of Ambank Building in front of KL Tower is a result of Fengshui. Many developers in KL won't build houses facing certain directions to avoid bad Fengshui. There are just too many examples but with your lack of understanding on Fengshui, they are not easily spotted.

It's how the engineers integrate Fengshui into functional structures that accomplish the beauty of this ancient knowledge. Somehow, I have to agree with _00_deathscar on your "theory".

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.

Last edited by Lastresorter; July 28th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #4108
OshHisham
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastresorter View Post
Sorry to pour cold water on you, but there are cities/developers/city planners that "check" on Fengshui before they decide to build something in a city, thus making the "skyline" or the cityscape a place of good Fengshui. It doesn't come by "chance".

Some good examples can be found in the city close to your heart - KL. Petronas is built after checking certain elements in Fengshui - the number "8" has a lot to do with that. The fountain in between the twin towers and Public Bank Tower is a result of Fengshui. The "camel" ornament on the glass of Ambank Building in front of KL Tower is a result of Fengshui. Many developers in KL won't build houses facing certain directions to avoid bad Fengshui. There are just too many examples but with your lack of understanding on Fengshui, they are not easily spotted.

It's how the engineers integrate Fengshui into functional structures that accomplish the beauty of this ancient knowledge. Somehow, I have to agree with _00_deathscar on your "theory".
your argument based on single/individual building.

but i'm talking about the whole group of skylines related to its location. location. location. and group of skylines. and group of skylines.

if you heard any company saying that their development and highrise r suit with feng shui, they are actually just doing MARKETING.

it's ok. asians r straight thinking people. they are not that easy to accept different, new ideas. i dont balme them. they r more interested in arguing who can build the highest building. who has the most numbers of highrise.....

btw, since when u become fan of Yasmin Ahmad? just after her death? i hope it is not for political purpose.
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #4109
tollfreak
Valid User

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchay View Post
URUMQI, capital of Xinjiang Province PRChina

image hosted on flickr
the building on the right hand side of the picture looks similar to Liberty Place in Philadelphia:

tollfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #4110
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Quote:

btw, since when u become fan of Yasmin Ahmad? just after her death? i hope it is not for political purpose.
You are absolutely disgusting! Yasmin Ahmad is loved by many and who are you to question people's intention of loving her! I've loved her works and respected her bravery to speak out the truth about the country. Give your shallow politics a break and please show some respect to her and those who love her!

I really wanna say F*ck You for the first time in SSC!

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #4111
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Quote:

it's ok. asians r straight thinking people. they are not that easy to accept different, new ideas. i dont balme them. they r more interested in arguing who can build the highest building. who has the most numbers of highrise.....
Tell this to yourself first, please....

Either you don't see yourself as an Asian, or that you are a great Twister, twisting arguments here and there unlike the straight-thinking Asians.

Anyway, not gonna put more stuffs into your sh*t-filled brain that will "easily accept" different, new ideas.

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4112
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1812

Quote:
your argument based on single/individual building.

but i'm talking about the whole group of skylines related to its location. location. location. and group of skylines. and group of skylines.

if you heard any company saying that their development and highrise r suit with feng shui, they are actually just doing MARKETING.

Can you stop shitting everywhere?

Doesn't mean that you've done shitting on the Malaysian Forums you could do so at every other forums. Although this forum isn't my jurisdiction doesn't mean I do not have 'friends' here. And doesn't mean that people here like you either.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #4113
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1812

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Hello Nina.
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #4114
7freedom7
Ill get 6 pack abs

Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
横浜 YOKOHAMA MINATOMIRAI 21
Impressive
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #4115
7freedom7
Ill get 6 pack abs

Quote:

having mountain backdrop like yokohama and honghong...

facing the sea and river confluence like singapore and sydney....

i don't know much about the fung shui, but i strongly believe of some of its ideas....

Makati, Jakarta, KL, doesn't look BOLD because it stands in a place where no any 'powerful' elements are....the 'qi'.

Quote:
So you are a mix of half malay half something else(Indians?), then you think you dont belong to Asia and can stand out here?

Last edited by 7freedom7; July 28th, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
7freedom7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #4116
7freedom7
Ill get 6 pack abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
I think it's a load of bullqi personally.
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #4117
diz
Unregistered User

Quote:

then you're rating a city based on how it appears with its surrounding environments. what you see in a city has nothing to do with feng shui.

so clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about.

good day.
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #4118
OshHisham
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong View Post
Can you stop shitting everywhere?

Doesn't mean that you've done shitting on the Malaysian Forums you could do so at every other forums. Although this forum isn't my jurisdiction doesn't mean I do not have 'friends' here. And doesn't mean that people here like you either.
pure disgusting...

oh my...

if you don't have better reason to argue the theory, why don't you just shut up? i never did anything wrong pointing out the idea, and never insult any city without reasons. yet i received a very harsh personal attack by even a moderator. i don't know where he put his integrity. gawd...talking with peoples here really becoming lame and boring.

i don't think Darwin could enjoy talking with peoples here...

oh, perhaps only spamming photos of skyline could work here. like this...

Last edited by OshHisham; July 29th, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #4119
diz
Unregistered User

DARWIN!? Oh gawd... EPIC FAIL.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #4120
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
I could name so many cities that look so good, and I'm pretty sure Feng Shui was out of their equation. So good they look better than those who may have used Feng Shui!
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam