daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #401
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar
True.

Does anyone else feel Tregunter Towers blocks the Peak Tower building from Kowloon waterfront or is that just me?
I don't find anything wrong with The Tregunter.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #402
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
True although The Union Square Development will become Kowloon's skyline showcase.
The irony is Union Square isn't even in Kowloon's commercial centre. Tsim Sha Tsui and Mongkok are far more important districts but the way they are laid out, the buildings going up along there won't make an impressive skyline from across the harbour. However, it'll look good from the Kai Tak vantage point.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #403
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
The irony is Union Square isn't even in Kowloon's commercial centre. Tsim Sha Tsui and Mongkok are far more important districts but the way they are laid out, the buildings going up along there won't make an impressive skyline from across the harbour. However, it'll look good from the Kai Tak vantage point.
True but we're talking about skyline and not development. Yes TST and Mongkok are more important than Union Square but when we talk about skyline, Union Square will become Kowloon's showcase just like what Central Admiralty and Wan Chai are doing for HK Island.

Old June 11th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #404
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
True but we're talking about skyline and not development. Yes TST and Mongkok are more important than Union Square but when we talk about skyline, Union Square will become Kowloon's showcase just like what Central Admiralty and Wan Chai are doing for HK Island.
Actually, Kai Tak will be a much larger showcase for Kowloon than Union Square. Union Square is 1 development. It's just a mix of buildings in a city block. It's not a skyline. Kai Tak's redevelopment is far larger and coupled with nearby skyscrapers in Kowloon Bay and Kwun Tong, that whole stretch of the harbour will be a huge skyline.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #405
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that - Union Square will grow larger in importance...

US7, US5 and US6 will create large enough office space to ensure that - it'll be like the Pacific Place stage.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #406
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Actually, Kai Tak will be a much larger showcase for Kowloon than Union Square. Union Square is 1 development. It's just a mix of buildings in a city block. It's not a skyline. Kai Tak's redevelopment is far larger and coupled with nearby skyscrapers in Kowloon Bay and Kwun Tong, that whole stretch of the harbour will be a huge skyline.
It remains to be seen.

Old June 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #407
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
It remains to be seen.
In fact, looking at the photos from Kowloon Bay and east, there is more spread-out development along that coast, although the buildings are not as tall as Union Square.

However, Union Square's developments are blocking each other out, so there isn't much outside that quadrant at all.

Old June 12th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #408
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Hong Kong is definitely better than Shanghai right now but the completion of SWFC will make Shanghai much more of a contendor. The Luijazui skyline will look much more convincing with the addition of SWFC. It will match (in fact slightly exceed) Hong Kong's ICC in height and match Hong Kong's Bank of China in beauty. ICC is being added to the Kowloon skyline rather than the main skyline of Hong Kong Island so, in terms of a single skyline view, it cannot serve as Hong Kong's answer to SWFC. However Hong Kong will always have the advantage of the hills and density of the skyline spread along a much longer waterfront than Pudong.

Third place is between Singapore and Tokyo. The view from the top of the Roppongi Hills Tower shows a truly gargantuan metropolis with several clusters of futuristic scrapers connected by the Metropolitan Expressway (looks stunning by night). The most impressive of these is Shinjuku but even Shinjuku cannot match the perfectly clustered slender elegance of Singapore's skyline dominated by its big three. Singapore has the best cluster skyline in the world (indeed until completion of SWFC it's better than Shanghai's Lujiazui) but it's still debatable whether that can take it past the sheer scale of Tokyo's phenomenal cityscape with its' galaxy of blinking red lights extending in every direction.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #409
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Hong Kong is definitely better than Shanghai right now but the completion of SWFC will make Shanghai much more of a contendor. The Luijazui skyline will look much more convincing with the addition of SWFC. It will match (in fact slightly exceed) Hong Kong's ICC in height and match Hong Kong's Bank of China in beauty. ICC is being added to the Kowloon skyline rather than the main skyline of Hong Kong Island so, in terms of a single skyline view, it cannot serve as Hong Kong's answer to SWFC. However Hong Kong will always have the advantage of the hills and density of the skyline spread along a much longer waterfront than Pudong.

Third place is between Singapore and Tokyo. The view from the top of the Roppongi Hills Tower shows a truly gargantuan metropolis with several clusters of futuristic scrapers connected by the Metropolitan Expressway (looks stunning by night). The most impressive of these is Shinjuku but even Shinjuku cannot match the perfectly clustered slender elegance of Singapore's skyline dominated by its big three. Singapore has the best cluster skyline in the world (indeed until completion of SWFC it's better than Shanghai's Lujiazui) but it's still debatable whether that can take it past the sheer scale of Tokyo's phenomenal cityscape with its' galaxy of blinking red lights extending in every direction.
Again, it's yet to be seen if Shanghai can match HK once The SWFC is completed. As for The SWFC, height yes but beauty, The BoC looks so much better. Only a few scrapers can match The BoC and is very iconic.

As for Singapore, I find HK's cluster much better

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #410
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I don't think it's fair to compare Hong Kong's skyline with Pudong. There is a far larger mass of skyscrapers in Puxi - the traditional heart of Shanghai. I'd say Pudong to be a Shanghai version of Kowloon's skyscraper boom.

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #411
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
I don't think it's fair to compare Hong Kong's skyline with Pudong. There is a far larger mass of skyscrapers in Puxi - the traditional heart of Shanghai. I'd say Pudong to be a Shanghai version of Kowloon's skyscraper boom.
Better to compare Pudong with Central

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #412
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Better to compare Pudong with Central
Central? I don't think so. The pace of development in Pudong is rapid, much like the West Kowloon area. While Pudong is trying to become the new financial centre of Shanghai, stealing the attention from Puxi, West Kowloon is trying to become an alternative hub to Central, being only one subway stop away from across the harbour.

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #413
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Central? I don't think so. The pace of development in Pudong is rapid, much like the West Kowloon area. While Pudong is trying to become the new financial centre of Shanghai, stealing the attention from Puxi, West Kowloon is trying to become an alternative hub to Central, being only one subway stop away from across the harbour.
What I meant is skylines. Central and Pudong can be comparable in skylines.

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #414
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
What I meant is skylines. Central and Pudong can be comparable in skylines.
I don't think a district as small as Central can be considered a skyline. Hong Kong's trademark skyline stretches at least 3 districts, which includes Central, Admiralty, and Wan Chai :

Central

Admiralty

Wan Chai

Central's tallest building is 2 IFC, but the district isn't even home to the Bank of China and The Centre, which are two key pillars in the skyline. What is the skyline? Just 2 IFC and a few other buildings. That doens't give much relevance in a comparison.

Pudong, meanwhile, contains a whole series of skyscrapers, and not merely a small section of it like Central. Pudong is like Union Square - a series of related skyscrapers built over a short period. If Pudong is successful and once it is complete, then it might be comparable to Central, Wan Chai, and Admiralty - the financial distrct.

Old June 12th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #415
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
I don't think a district as small as Central can be considered a skyline. Hong Kong's trademark skyline stretches at least 3 districts, which includes Central, Admiralty, and Wan Chai :

Central

Admiralty

Wan Chai

Central's tallest building is 2 IFC, but the district isn't even home to the Bank of China and The Centre, which are two key pillars in the skyline. What is the skyline? Just 2 IFC and a few other buildings. That doens't give much relevance in a comparison.

Pudong, meanwhile, contains a whole series of skyscrapers, and not merely a small section of it like Central. Pudong is like Union Square - a series of related skyscrapers built over a short period. If Pudong is successful and once it is complete, then it might be comparable to Central, Wan Chai, and Admiralty - the financial distrct.
How about 4 districts including Sheung Wan

Old June 12th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #416
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
How about 4 districts including Sheung Wan
Sheung Wan isn't a major multinational or financial hub. It's more geared towards lesser-quality buildings (not Grade A), so I wouldn't group it with the 3 main districts.

Old June 12th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #417
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Sheung Wan isn't a major multinational or financial hub. It's more geared towards lesser-quality buildings (not Grade A), so I wouldn't group it with the 3 main districts.
True but some of HK's tallest buildings are there

Old June 12th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #418
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
True but some of HK's tallest buildings are there
Not really. Sheung Wan only has The Centre, which is 4th tallest in the city now. The rest are very short buildings. The next entry is 15th-place Cosco Tower at 228 m and that's pretty much it. Its height profile is far shorter than Admiralty, Wan Chai, and Central.

Meanwhile, Kowloon has some very tall buildings, such as Victoria Towers, Union Square, and Langham Place. Yet when people talk about the Hong Kong skyline, they think about the Island (Central, Wan Chai, Admiralty).

Even the Belcher's in Western are very tall and high up on the height list. Yet I doubt those buildings will propel Western into a forefront skyline district.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:15 AM   #419
JoSin
\Attituded\

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
I have a few more photos showing the old buildings and the canyons in Sham Shui Po :

Actually Hong Kong's gritty buildings are affecting their lives. Look at the news everywhere in the world now. They are reporting that Hong Kong is suffering from very bad pollution thts worst then comparable cities like London and new York. Polluion in Hong Kong is getting worst because of the canyon of skyscrapers that trap all the foul air. Hong Kong also has very few trees beacuse of these buildings, making the air filthier and filthier day by day. Also it is drving away talents because many people do not want their children to stay in Hong Kong which is dangerous because of pollution that kills thousands a year. So sometimes I think although skyscrapers and "gritty" image looks really cool, ( I feel its cool too, especially Hong Kong), but it really gives adverse effects to the country and its people.

JoSin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:24 AM   #420
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSin
Actually Hong Kong's gritty buildings are affecting their lives. Look at the news everywhere in the world now. They are reporting that Hong Kong is suffering from very bad pollution thts worst then comparable cities like London and new York. Polluion in Hong Kong is getting worst because of the canyon of skyscrapers that trap all the foul air. Hong Kong also has very few trees beacuse of these buildings, making the air filthier and filthier day by day. Also it is drving away talents because many people do not want their children to stay in Hong Kong which is dangerous because of pollution that kills thousands a year. So sometimes I think although skyscrapers and "gritty" image looks really cool, ( I feel its cool too, especially Hong Kong), but it really gives adverse effects to the country and its people.
Gritty builidings are actually HK ghetto trademarks Yes the conditions for most of these buildings are bad but at least most of it's residents have a better standard of living compared to other countries.

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam