daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:11 PM   #421
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17792

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSin
Actually Hong Kong's gritty buildings are affecting their lives. Look at the news everywhere in the world now. They are reporting that Hong Kong is suffering from very bad pollution thts worst then comparable cities like London and new York. Polluion in Hong Kong is getting worst because of the canyon of skyscrapers that trap all the foul air. Hong Kong also has very few trees beacuse of these buildings, making the air filthier and filthier day by day. Also it is drving away talents because many people do not want their children to stay in Hong Kong which is dangerous because of pollution that kills thousands a year. So sometimes I think although skyscrapers and "gritty" image looks really cool, ( I feel its cool too, especially Hong Kong), but it really gives adverse effects to the country and its people.
There is a lot of incorrect information in those comments.

Actually, 80-90% of Hong Kong's pollution comes from mainland China. The canyon effects in these older areas in Kowloon is minimal. These are predominantely mid-rises and do not form a huge wall of buildings to block out air flow. Air from the sea can still make its way into the streets. The problem arises when more 40-50-storey skyscrapers pop up along the water that blocks the wind from coming in. Therefore, this part of Hong Kong is not suffering from a worsening pollution problem because foul air is not being trapped on the street. Causeway Bay on the other side of the harbour is notorious for its wind trap, not Sham Shui Po as depicted in the pictures.

While pollution is a major concern, HK remains a very popular place for foreigners to invest in. In fact, HK and China were the 2 biggest recipients of FDI in Asia last year. Expatriates are concerned, but are not leaving in droves. They don't live in these areas anyway. They're up along the hillsides enjoying their harbour views.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:34 AM   #422
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1154

The best skyline effect has Shanghai to me.The Oriental Pearl Tower is such a beauty!
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:35 AM   #423
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower
The best skyline effect has Shanghai to me.The Oriental Pearl Tower is such a beauty!
Have you ever seen HK's Symphony of Lights

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:04 PM   #424
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I recommend taking a cruise along the river at night. You start off near one of the southern bridges and head north where you can see both the Pudong and Bund areas lit up at night. While the Bund is very beautifully-lit at night, the area is still fairly small. Then head inland to Nanjing Road for a dazzle of neon lights.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:28 PM   #425
JoSin
\Attituded\

Likes (Received): 226

Ok. It is just what I have read from the internet. Thats all.

About 1,600 people are killed each year in Hong Kong by illnesses related to air pollution, according to a study released on Thursday by Hong Kong universities. The research results were announced as Hong Kong's worsening air quality has become one of the most hotly debated topics in the city. The sky is frequently obscured by a haze created by traffic, coal-burning power plants and factories in southern China. The study analyzed records for hospital admissions and deaths from 1995 to 2000, said one of the researchers, A.J. Hedley, an environmental and public health expert at the University of Hong Kong. The number of admissions and deaths rose as indicators showed that air quality worsened, according to the study's statistical analysis. The research was done by the University of Hong Kong, Chinese University, the University of Science and Technology and the think tank Civic Exchange. Hedley said in a presentation that pollution played a role in ``1,600 deaths a year, mostly from heart attacks, stroke, pneumonia and other lung diseases.'''' He added that 6.8 million doctor visits are caused by smog-related respiratory problems.

HONG KONG (AFP) - Pollution in Hong Kong is worse than Los Angeles, the most polluted city in the United States, and claims around 2,000 lives a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hong Kong could avoid more than 1,600 deaths and save 19 billion Hong Kong dollars (2.44 billion US) annually by substantially reducing pollution, the study conducted by three Hong Kong universities and local policy think-thank Civic Exchange said.

An estimated 2,000 deaths a year were attributable to pollution, with poor visibility dominating 45 percent of the year, it said Thursday.

"Air pollution in Hong Kong causes discomfort and illness in children and adults, increased health care utilisation at all levels of the health care system and premature deaths," the study said.

The report said air quality in the territory was worse than other world cities such as Auckland, Berlin, London, New York, Paris and Vancouver with particulate levels 40 percent higher than in Los Angeles, the most polluted city in the US.

It blamed the worsening situation on pollutants emitted from power plants, cars and factories from Hong Kong as well as the booming manufacturing cities of the adjacent Pearl River Delta in southern China.

The study also criticised Hong Kong for using "outdated" air quality measures adopted back in 1987 by the World Health Organisation. They were revised in 2000 but have not been amended by the local government.

The report urged the Hong Kong authorities to take radical steps to curb pollution.

"The Hong Kong government must take the lead in vigorously addressing all aspects of regional pollution and the prevention of the serious widespread health effects which are now known to be a consequence of this," the report said.

"There is a net loss to our community from air pollution," it added.

Just stating the disadvantages of tall buildings lar, although i really like the canyon of buildings from Hong Kong and New York especially.

Last edited by JoSin; June 23rd, 2006 at 05:36 PM.
JoSin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM   #426
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I think u have mistaken. I wasnt referring to the conditions of the buildings. I was referring to the pollution problem.
The pollution problem isn't due to the canyon effect as you have described. That argument doesn't make sense since much of the pollution is blown in from China. If HK's street canyons block out the air from blowing in or out, then pollution from China won't impact the urban areas at all. Subsequently there won't be any clear days if the pollution is trapped among the buildings. Those two scenarios are not what's happening though.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:37 PM   #427
JoSin
\Attituded\

But if there wasnt canyon effect then there would be such a problem.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:41 PM   #428
JoSin
\Attituded\

"Causeway Bay on the other side of the harbour is notorious for its wind trap, not Sham Shui Po as depicted in the pictures."
Opps. Sorry i was not referring to Sham Shui Po. I was not referring to the place but to the gritty buildings. I was just giving an example.I took the wrong quote.Sorry for misleading you.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:47 PM   #429
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
But if there wasnt canyon effect then there would be such a problem.
Causeway Bay's building arrangement makes it hard for wind from the harbour to blow into the district, so street-level pollution is quite bad especially since it is so congested and so many buses rumble by. The canyon effect is most visible there.

On the other hand, Kowloon is still dominated by midrises, so there aren't really skyscraper canyons on the peninsula at all. The concern right now is the wall of skyscrapers under construction along the new reclamation near the waterfront and how they'll affect the wind flow into the district. However, that has minimal impact on air pollution at this point since when the winds blow in from the south, the whole city is sparkling clear even down to the congested streets.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:50 PM   #430
JoSin
\Attituded\

Ok I get it thanks. I misunderstood from the newspapers and also about Kowloon and Causeway bay area. yar its true that the buildings in Kowloon are not that tall. Hope the pollution from China can be controlled though. It is affecting the view of the best skyline in the world!!

Old June 25th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #431
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

HK
Shanghai
Seoul
Tokyo
Shenzhen
Manila
Bangkok
Busan
Tapei
Shenyang
Old July 15th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #432
steve_skyline

Likes (Received): 403

Quote:
Indeed, Shanghai at night is magnificient beauty. Best asian skyline:-
1) HK
2) Shanghai
3) Tokyo
steve_skyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #433
sharpie20
Wlis

Likes (Received): 4

In Order:
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Manilla
Singapore
Guanzhou
sharpie20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #434
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

IN-ORDER:
1.hongkong
2.shanghai
3.tokyo
4.seoul
5.manila
6.KL
7.bangkok
8.singapore
9.guangzhou
Old July 19th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #435
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_skyline
Indeed, Shanghai at night is magnificient beauty. Best asian skyline:-
1) HK
2) Shanghai
3) Tokyo
Shanghai does have a nice skyline especially with the lighting effects at Pudong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNTHXvpYUcA

Old July 20th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #436
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

MANILA SKYLINE!

MANILA....

makati skyline @ night

ortigas centre @ night

Old July 20th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #437
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I like Manila's skyline but I have to say it again and again, the city needs either a supertall or an iconic scraper. I would like to see Lopez Centre or Skycity built.

As for now, Manila can't match the likes of HK

Old July 20th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #438
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

hong Kong
Shanghai
Tokyo
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #439
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

My favourites are Hongkong and Shanghai
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #440
JoSin
\Attituded\

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
I like Manila's skyline but I have to say it again and again, the city needs either a supertall or an iconic scraper. I would like to see Lopez Centre or Skycity built.

As for now, Manila can't match the likes of HK
I quite agree. Now it looks nice but a bit blunt.

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam