daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #4701
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa
 
Lastresorter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Malaysia untuk Orang Malaysia
Posts: 1,568
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Ending View Post
But there's nothing wrong or right about what I've said?
If I said something like Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Singapore etc etc has tons of ugly buildings would we have extended this conversation this far?
And I know the answer is "No"
That's something people in the SEA forum will throw out at KL skyline. "Without Petronas, the skyline is bland and not in harmony, other buildings are just ugly and boring" etc etc. The conversation was similar to what's happening in this thread about Hong Kong.
__________________
Towards A Home Where Dreams Soar. Towards A Nation of Justice and Equality.


- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #4702
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?
 
Imperfect Ending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 10,759
Likes (Received): 452

Bangkok
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongla View Post






credit : คุณ plagao จาก multiply ครับผม
__________________

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #4703
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2308

I wanna discuss my favorite skylines but I'm afraid of getting flamed for it. lol


Heck ill do it anyways...


1.Tokyo
2.Singapore
3.Kuala Lumpur
4.Bangkok
5.Hk
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #4704
party_animals
Registered User
 
party_animals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangkok City~~
Posts: 843
Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
That is not a matter of opinion but a matter of trolling. There is certainly nothing wrong to say that hongkong is not the top skyline in asia, but it is definitely not logical to say hongkong has an ugly skyline. And while he calls hongkong's skyline ugly he never directly replied to me what skyline he would consider to be pretty.

So.. this is ugly, what would you call the bangkok skyline in the photo you have posted.



http://www.flickr.com/photos/tangomango1997/3684974036/
he might probably love NYC or Sydney more than HK?? he might probably think HK skyine is way too crowded.....he might have a different interpretation of what is a good skyline??? so whats the big deal here.....to me HK is the best anyway, but if u ask those American forumers, they might say thier NYC or Chicago are way better, ppl just have a diffferent opinion...that's it


and yeaa...BKK is not as good as HK for sure,i'll tell u that but at least we are happy enough we can stay in a warm and welcoming home called "Bangkok", even if its skyline will be so ugly like u might had thought....skyline is just a bunch of buildings lying next to one another, butn where is the true happiness....

__________________
~BangKoK, craziest city on planet earth~

"Bangkok has them now..." (The Hangover II)
party_animals no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #4705
Mospeada
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: aishiteru^^
Posts: 82
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
由于媒体和历史的原因,东南亚国家对中国有种与生俱来的优越感,认为中国很穷很落后,是专制国家,人的素质也很低,从新马泰回来的人就会告诉他们的经历。越南,马来西亚,新加坡,印尼,菲律宾,对中国都怀有较深的敌意。
the translation :

As the media and historical reasons, Southeast Asian countries on a kind of inherent superiority of China, that China's poor and very backward, autocratic countries, the quality of people is very low, people are coming back from Xin Matai will tell their experience. Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, China and all imbued with deep hostility.
Mospeada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #4706
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u
 
icracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Beijing (for school)
Posts: 954
Likes (Received): 42

my top...
1) Shanghai
2)Hong Kong
3) Tokyo
4)Kuala Lumpur
5) Singapore
__________________
H o n o l u l u*
Hawaii
icracked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #4707
carewser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 112
Likes (Received): 15

I don't know how anyone can seriously say there is a better skyline in Asia than Hong Kong. It seems to me that such people are merely filled with a juvenile sense of chauvinism. Second place is where the only real debate lies.
__________________
overly regulated, overly legislated and overly taxed.
carewser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #4708
hec2r-hec2r-activa8
Registered User
 
hec2r-hec2r-activa8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manila
Posts: 82
Likes (Received): 6

Hongkong is the best. But I dont wanna live in there.
Primarily because of the air pollution.
__________________
Great Minds .......discuss ideas
Average Minds.......discuss events
Small Minds .......discuss people
hec2r-hec2r-activa8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #4709
WawaY[625]
BANNED
 
WawaY[625]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Manado
Posts: 6,291
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carewser View Post
I don't know how anyone can seriously say there is a better skyline in Asia than Hong Kong. It seems to me that such people are merely filled with a juvenile sense of chauvinism. Second place is where the only real debate lies.
best is subjective, unless we are talking only of best=biggest then yes HK wins but to some (like me) theres more to a beautiful skyline than the sheer number of skyscrapers
WawaY[625] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #4710
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?
 
Imperfect Ending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 10,759
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by carewser View Post
I don't know how anyone can seriously say there is a better skyline in Asia than Hong Kong. It seems to me that such people are merely filled with a juvenile sense of chauvinism. Second place is where the only real debate lies.
Well that's a subjective opinion. It's juvenile to assume that your opinion is fact.
__________________

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #4711
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

THE best skyline is a definitely a subjective opinion, i certainly do and will respect people's opinion that hongkong is not the best asian skyline, however it just seems to be a breach of common sense when you say hongkong has an ugly skyline.

It is just like saying ferrari is not the best looking car on earth, there are lambos, porsches out there, but 99.9% of the people certainly wont call ferrari an ugly car.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #4712
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?
 
Imperfect Ending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 10,759
Likes (Received): 452

Well I am part of that .1% that thinks Ferraris are ugly, I dislike the pointed nose and how it looks like it's been vacuum sucked and compressed.
And once again, no one said Hong Kong has an ugly skyline. I said it has many ugly buildings... if you think I am lying then go back and reread everything to make damn sure.
Are you choosing to not read what I've been saying or do you have a tragic condition that I would be more understanding.
But what car looks nice to me? Mustangs
__________________


Last edited by Imperfect Ending; May 8th, 2010 at 02:35 AM.
Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:17 AM   #4713
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

I thought i have quoted this before, the ugly skyline is implied in the sentence "hongkong is ugly".

Once again i dont want to get into discussing this matter with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Ending View Post
And yes I am willing to argue with the forum on why Hong Kong is ugly to me.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #4714
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?
 
Imperfect Ending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 10,759
Likes (Received): 452

"Hong Kong is ugly" is different than "Hong Kong's skyline is ugly"
You say you don't want to go back to that discussion yet you're bringing it back up.
Let your pride down and understand the context of what I'm saying.
__________________

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #4715
gunny.gunason
Indonesian Malay
 
gunny.gunason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: PLM/SIN
Posts: 1,813
Likes (Received): 70

World Rise and Beating...

Hong Kong
Shanghai
Dubai
Shenzen
Tokyo
Seoul
Jakarta
Singapore
Bangkok

gunny.gunason no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #4716
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

I did not want to bring this back, but seeing people misunderstanding or rather mislead by you, i see a need to have a say about this matter.

Of course saying "hongkong is ugly" and "hongkong skyline ugly" are dfferent, but in this context, in this post, in this forum they have the same meaning.

This is a post about skyline, you make huge arguments saying the skyline is filled with ugly buildings, you imply the skyline is ugly. Furthermore you clearly stated hongkong is ugly in a post regarding to skyline, you reinforce your implication hongkong skyline is ugly.

eg. If you said hongkong is ugly in a hippy forum discussing a city with best environment, instead of taking it as hongkong is ugly because its skyline is ugly, people would think hongkong is ugly because its lacking green spaces and natural plants.

Through all this argument i was trying to point out your statement is too biased saying hongkong (skyline) is ugly, consisting only 3 skyscrapers that fits to your non-ugly standard. Because your statement is such an outlier from what the majority of people on the forum would say i could only assume that it was your jealousy playing the part. (your false claim of fake and twisted pictures of shanghai also add to the base of that assumption hence i would consider the assumption to be rational and sensible). However you play the old trick of freedom of speech and me not accepting other's viewpoints etc.

Also by comparing between hongkong and bangkok i was hoping to show you that you might have set your benchmark too high for a good skyline. But obviously it was not working and instead you turned the whole argument around as if i was attacking bangkok.

From this huge argument i can only conclude that you are a guy lacking common sense who dislike, or at least to a certain extent against china. And no i only have a pride for shanghai.

Last edited by kix111; May 8th, 2010 at 05:47 AM.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #4717
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?
 
Imperfect Ending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 10,759
Likes (Received): 452

No one was mislead by me, honey. I am not that charismatic.

Everyone still thinks Hong Kong is numba wan

I'm pretty sure I was crystal clear with no room for misinterpretation with post #4644 when I said "Hong Kong is great and all but most of its buildings are ugly... way ugly. ".

Continue to think what you want lawl.

chirp chirp chirp chirp flutter flutter flutter
__________________

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #4718
bonivison
Registered User
 
bonivison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Beijing
Posts: 772
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
I did not want to bring this back, but seeing people misunderstanding or rather mislead by you, i see a need to have a say about this matter.

Of course saying "hongkong is ugly" and "hongkong skyline ugly" are dfferent, but in this context, in this post, in this forum they are have the same meaning.

This is a post about skyline, you make huge arguments saying the skyline is filled with ugly buildings, you imply the skyline is ugly. Furthermore you clearly stated hongkong is ugly in a post regarding to skyline, you reinforce your implication hongkong skyline is ugly.

eg. If you said hongkong is ugly in a hippy forum discussing a city with best environment, instead of taking it as hongkong is ugly because its skyline is ugly, people would think hongkong is ugly because its lacking green spaces and natural plants.

Through all this argument i was trying to point out your statement is too biased saying hongkong (skyline) is ugly, consisting only 3 skyscrapers that fits to your non-ugly standard. Because your statement is such an outlier from what the majority of people on the forum would say i could only assume that you were jealoused (your false claim of fake and twisted pictures of shanghai also add to the base of that assumption hence i would consider the assumption to be rational and sensible). However you play the old trick of freedom of speech and me not accepting other's viewpoints etc.

Also by comparing between hongkong and bangkok i was hoping to show you that you might have set your benchmark too high for a good skyline. But obviously it was not working and instead you turned the whole argument around as if i was attacking bangkok.

From this huge argument i can only conclude that you are a guy lacking common sense who dislike, or at least to a certain extent against china. And no i only have a pride for shanghai.
Can you stop your argument with him?

I guess he is talking something other than the skyline by saying"'Hong Kong is ugly' is different than 'Hong Kong's skyline is ugly'"

There are always some people attacking some cities or countries, They have the rights to say their words. If they make you unhappy, just let them alone.

Let's return to the point, OK? my favourites are:

Hongkong
Shanghai
Tokyo
Dubai
Singapore
Shenzhen
Kuala Lumpur
Guangzhou
Seoul
Manila
bonivison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #4719
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Ending View Post
Continue to think what you want lawl.

chirp chirp chirp chirp flutter flutter flutter
Haha. The ultimate indestructible come back, you win.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #4720
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phriggin' Ogre View Post
I wanna discuss my favorite skylines but I'm afraid of getting flamed for it. lol


Heck ill do it anyways...


1.Tokyo
2.Singapore
3.Kuala Lumpur
4.Bangkok
5.Hk
I don't know what I was thinking, let me correct:

1- Singapore
2- Tokyo
3- Hong Kong
4- Shangahi
5- Makati

I know my picks surprise some people but something about those top 3 cities always tickled my pickle.



p.s. why dont you guys get off imperfect ending's nuts? If he doesn't like some things about the skyline then let him think that. Acting like little kids that can't handle other people's opinions won't change what he thinks.
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu