daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #461
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

Yeah Sham Shui Po is gritty! But there are alot of urban developments happening as well

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #462
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1340

It still gave me a shock. LOL.

Anyway... top 10 for meeh.

1. HK
2. Tokyo
3. Shanghai
4. Singapore
5. Seoul
6. KL
7. MM
8. Bangkok
9. Jakarta
10. Shenzhen
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #463
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
Yeah Sham Shui Po is gritty! But there are alot of urban developments happening as well
Sham Shui Po is not a major redevelopment zone. Rather, much of the activity is concentrated along the water in the new reclamation areas.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #464
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Sham Shui Po is not a major redevelopment zone. Rather, much of the activity is concentrated along the water in the new reclamation areas.
For now, but I think they're gonna do some urban renewal projects in this area.

Old August 18th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #465
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
For now, but I think they're gonna do some urban renewal projects in this area.
The key urban renewal projects in that part of town are in Shek Kip Mei. The largest barrier to a grand project in Sham Shui Po is the income profile. A redeveloped estate simply won't fetch very high price because the district is a low income area. Hence all the construction activity is concentrated along the waterfront, more expensive, properties.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #466
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
The key urban renewal projects in that part of town are in Shek Kip Mei. The largest barrier to a grand project in Sham Shui Po is the income profile. A redeveloped estate simply won't fetch very high price because the district is a low income area. Hence all the construction activity is concentrated along the waterfront, more expensive, properties.
But what about Kwun Tong? Isn't Kwun Tong a low income area as well?

Old August 18th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #467
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
But what about Kwun Tong? Isn't Kwun Tong a low income area as well?
Kwun Tong is not as poor as Sham Shui Po. In fact, Sham Shui Po is a major settlement area for new immigrants from China, many of which do not have the skills to integrate into the society and have to work low-paying jobs.

Kwun Tong, on the other hand, started off as an industrial zone, whereas Sham Shui Po has gone residential quite long ago.

Old August 31st, 2006, 06:32 AM   #468
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old August 31st, 2006, 08:21 AM   #469
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Kwun Tong is not as poor as Sham Shui Po. In fact, Sham Shui Po is a major settlement area for new immigrants from China, many of which do not have the skills to integrate into the society and have to work low-paying jobs.

Kwun Tong, on the other hand, started off as an industrial zone, whereas Sham Shui Po has gone residential quite long ago.
Kwun Tong is industrial. True that is not as poor as Sham Shui Po but the place still have lower to lower-middle class living there. But after 5 years, I can't imagine what this district will look like.

Old August 31st, 2006, 05:01 PM   #470
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Kwun Tong is industrial. True that is not as poor as Sham Shui Po but the place still have lower to lower-middle class living there. But after 5 years, I can't imagine what this district will look like.
Kwun Tong is not just an industrial district. The industrial area is only south of the MTR to the water. The area to the north of the MTR is a bustling residential and commercial area (even before apm opened).

The redevelopment is only for a small area called Yue Man Fong in the current residential and commercial centre. It won't transform the entire district. There's still a lot of poverty around that needs to be spruced up.

I would hardly consider this industrial :

Old August 31st, 2006, 05:19 PM   #471
steve_skyline

Likes (Received): 403

Futuristic night scene:-
1) HK, Shanghai- mere words cannot describe the magnificient beauty of these both cities at night.
2) Tokyo, maybe some chinese cities

Overall best asian skylines:-
1) HK
2) Shanghai
3) Tokyo/Singapore
4) Seoul/BKK/KL/Manila
5) Jakarta
steve_skyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:45 AM   #472
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

1.hongkong
2.tokyo
3.shanghai
4.manila/seoul/KL/bangkok/
5.shenzen/chongqing
6.taipei/jakarta/beijing
Old September 1st, 2006, 06:11 AM   #473
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Kwun Tong is not just an industrial district. The industrial area is only south of the MTR to the water. The area to the north of the MTR is a bustling residential and commercial area (even before apm opened).

The redevelopment is only for a small area called Yue Man Fong in the current residential and commercial centre. It won't transform the entire district. There's still a lot of poverty around that needs to be spruced up.

I would hardly consider this industrial :
Kwun Tong is kinda like Aberdeen in a way since both districts have a large industrial area.

Old September 1st, 2006, 04:09 PM   #474
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Kwun Tong is kinda like Aberdeen in a way since both districts have a large industrial area.
Kwun Tong has a far bigger industrial area than Aberdeen, which is why there is so much redevelopment work happening today to convert old disused factories into something more relevant for today's needs. Aberdeen's industrial zone is very small. Take a look at the map and you'll see the difference.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:38 PM   #475
FrancisXavier
long live...

Likes (Received): 4

nime is

HK
Seol
Shanghai

Singapore
KL
Manila
Bangkok

Jakarta
Taipei
Beijing
FrancisXavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #476
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Kwun Tong has a far bigger industrial area than Aberdeen, which is why there is so much redevelopment work happening today to convert old disused factories into something more relevant for today's needs. Aberdeen's industrial zone is very small. Take a look at the map and you'll see the difference.
Aberdeen is small unless you can consider Wong Chuk Hang as part of this area.

Old September 4th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #477
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Aberdeen is small unless you can consider Wong Chuk Hang as part of this area.
The Wong Chuk Hang industrial area is just one main street and a few small parallel side streets, and that is a part of Aberdeen. It pales in comparison to Kwun Tong's industrial estates, which link up to Kowloon Bay further northwest.

Old September 4th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #478
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
The Wong Chuk Hang industrial area is just one main street and a few small parallel side streets, and that is a part of Aberdeen. It pales in comparison to Kwun Tong's industrial estates, which link up to Kowloon Bay further northwest.
It's hard for me to tell which is bigger but I think the Aberdeen / Wong Chuk Hang districts is the largest industrial area in HK. But I don't know which is the largest industrial area in the region. Is it Kwai Chung?

Old September 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #479
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
It's hard for me to tell which is bigger but I think the Aberdeen / Wong Chuk Hang districts is the largest industrial area in HK. But I don't know which is the largest industrial area in the region. Is it Kwai Chung?
Take a look at a map and see how small the Wong Chuk Hang area is. It definitely is not Hong Kong's largest industrial area. I don't know how you can deduce that, but definitely no local would agree with that. There are much larger industrial estates in Kwun Tong and Tai Po. Kwai Chung is a container port area, so there are a lot of storage areas but the port size is actually not very big. I wouldn't agree that all of it is industrial zoning though.

Industrial Estates
Tai Po - 75 hectares
Yuen Long - 67 hectares
Tseung Kwan O - 75 hectares

http://www.hkstp.org/english/industrial/industrial.html

Old September 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #480
iahcgnoht

Likes (Received): 3

hong kong is the best have a skyscraper showcase on the island look so fansastic
shanghai skyline is look high-tec. like world in the future
KL skyline is luxurious
iahcgnoht no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam