daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #5321
deepblue01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 859
Likes (Received): 66

I blame it on the residential buildings, they look old and dirty, its a real shame that they build them so close to the edge of the peninsula as well
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #5322
RaySthlm
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 835
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
No competitor in Asia, Africa and Europe. The only challenger is NYC

I Love HK
Yup, only NYC can challenge HK and maybe Shanghai. They are my top 3 of the world.
RaySthlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #5323
SimFox
Registered User
 
SimFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,823
Likes (Received): 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
All your stats doesn't justify what you have said,
I guess I should again remind you what I have said:

Quote:
incredible construction boom that puts places like Shanghai far behind
Bold lettering is, in fact, by you. So, you were specifically doubting that very fact. And I assume that you were asking for the "evidence" of the very construction boom, not geography or weather patterns. So now you say that my evidence doesn't justify it. So it doesn't prove that Chongqing "has incredible construction boom"? Yet right away you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
only proves Chongqing is growing at a faster rate than Shanghai,
So what I was suppose to provide evidence for? For the landscape features?

So, basically you have neither knowledge (like in the figures describing relative construction activity in both cities), nor basic decency to admit that fact when you were presented with fact showing this knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
anyways it is still going to take a long time until Chongqing becomes a first tier city in China.
And what this nonsense with tires has to do with anything in this thread? May be you should re-read it's title... and stay on course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
I blame it on the residential buildings, they look old and dirty, its a real shame that they build them so close to the edge of the peninsula as well
well it could be argued that those provide a contrast, that makes overall picture visually more interesting. Similarly to a trick commonly used by artists making fantasy illustrations.
Besides Hong Kong has, perhaps, even more run down buildings...
SimFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #5324
kang rey
Registered User
 
kang rey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: kemaraya
Posts: 2,374
Likes (Received): 164

1. Hongkong
2. Dubai
3. Shanghai
4. Jakarta
5. Bangkok
6. Tokyo
7. Taipe
8. Seoul
9. Guangzhou
10.Shenzhen
kang rey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #5325
oliver999
starwar
 
oliver999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,136
Likes (Received): 1133

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySthlm View Post
Yup, only NYC can challenge HK and maybe Shanghai. They are my top 3 of the world.
you can add chicago for the top four.
__________________
项羽问:怎么样?
骑兵们敬佩地回答:和大王说的一样!
oliver999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #5326
SO143
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 20,896
Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
you can add chicago for the top four.
Shanghai is not really that good, it is not deserved to be top 3 as it is full of poor quality residential buildings and a handful amount of supertalls and good quality skyscrapers in business district. I'd rather take another city in top 3.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #5327
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimFox View Post
Bold lettering is, in fact, by you. So, you were specifically doubting that very fact. And I assume that you were asking for the "evidence" of the very construction boom, not geography or weather patterns. So now you say that my evidence doesn't justify it. So it doesn't prove that Chongqing "has incredible construction boom"? Yet right away you say:
Ok, maybe there is a misunderstanding here. I guess you are saying that the rate of speed of construction in Chongqing is putting Shanghai's rate of speed of construction behind.

The phraes "incredible construction boom that puts places like Shanghai far behind" by itself is very vague in its meaning.

So lets put this phrase in context, you are referring to Chongqing taking the crown for Asia's best skyline.

"In my mind Chongqing is definitely one of the contesters for the crown! Striking location, incredible construction boom that puts places like Shanghai far behind"

Hence obviously one would understand that phrase as the "incredible construction boom" in Chongqing during the recent years made Chongqing (skyline) far better than Shanghai.

Moreover Shanghai is already saturating and if i was comparing Chongqing's boom with another city i wouldnt choose Shanghai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimFox View Post
And what this nonsense with tires has to do with anything in this thread? May be you should re-read it's title... and stay on course..
First tier Chinese cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen dominates China's top skyline ranking, so they have some direct relationship between them. According to your logic, why would you even talk about the "incredible boom" it has nothing to do with the best skyline.

Last edited by kix111; February 24th, 2011 at 05:01 PM.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #5328
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Back to topic.. photos from Mori

http://www.gaoloumi.com/viewthread.p...extra=page%3D2



kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #5329
RaySthlm
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 835
Likes (Received): 50

Anyway, my top 10 asian skyline list.

1.HK (massive, tall etc)
2.Shanghai (massive+ nice looking supertalls)
3.Dubai (if you would include that in the asian section)
4.Bangkok (very massive, still growing like a growing child)
5.Tokyo (massive)
6.Singapore (very nice looking, organized skyscrapers downtown, LA of asia)
7.Guangzhou (nice buildings, futuristic at some angles)
8.Manila (massive, dense)
9.Kuala Lumpur (Petronas Towers are great)
10. Shenzhen (another nice looking Chinese city)

Last edited by RaySthlm; February 24th, 2011 at 05:37 PM.
RaySthlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #5330
oliver999
starwar
 
oliver999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,136
Likes (Received): 1133

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
Shanghai is not really that good, it is not deserved to be top 3 as it is full of poor quality residential buildings and a handful amount of supertalls and good quality skyscrapers in business district. I'd rather take another city in top 3.
shanghai has largest skyline in the world.
__________________
项羽问:怎么样?
骑兵们敬佩地回答:和大王说的一样!
oliver999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #5331
SO143
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 20,896
Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
shanghai has largest skyline in the world.
Being the largest doesn't mean it is the best.

Have you ever heard of quality over quantity?
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #5332
jimPUNKZ
jack of spades
 
jimPUNKZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: somewhere down the southSAYBU
Posts: 439
Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySthlm View Post
Anyway, my top 10 asian skyline list.

1.HK (massive, tall etc)
2.Shanghai (massive+ nice looking supertalls)
3.Dubai (If you would include that in the asian section)
4.Bangkok (very massive, still growing like a growing child)
5.Tokyo (massive)
6.Singapore (Very nice looking, organized skyscrapers downtown)
7.Guangzhou (nice buildings, futuristic at some angles)
8.Kuala Lumpur (Petronas Towers are great)
9.Manila (massive, dense)
10. Shenzhen (another nice looking Chinese city)
dubai is an asian city!!
__________________
-IlovemySelf-
theJACKofAllASSES
jimPUNKZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #5333
RaySthlm
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 835
Likes (Received): 50

Shanghai has great quality, but it also has quantity, same as HongKong, or any other city for that matter . If Shanghai was like Sao Paolo, I would get your point, that city is filled with quantity buildings.
RaySthlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #5334
SO143
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 20,896
Likes (Received): 3624

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0380 / Shanghai by EuroSprinter, on Flickr
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #5335
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Best photo of Lujiazui. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySthlm View Post
Shanghai has great quality, but it also has quantity, same as HongKong, or any other city for that matter . If Shanghai was like Sao Paolo, I would get your point, that city is filled with quantity buildings.
Yes i agree, lowrises in Shanghai should be treated as a bonus over what would have otherwise been two-story-houses in other countries.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #5336
SO143
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 20,896
Likes (Received): 3624

My bad guys, i thought this thread is about World's 15 best skylines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gs_in_Shanghai

Yes, i would definitely put Shanghai and Dubai in top 3 list.

For skyscrapers. Hong Kong is still no.1 in Asia.

Tokyo also needs to be listed in top 3 or at least 4. Its very ridiculous if you rate Bangkok skyline over Tokyo
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #5337
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain
 
Yellow Fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hongcouver/Raincouver
Posts: 59,882
Likes (Received): 55225

Imo, Shanghai has the best looking supertalls in Asia.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #5338
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Imo, Shanghai has the best looking supertalls in Asia.
Hongkong's ICC and 2IFC are just as nice as Jinmao and SWFC. What Shanghai has i think is a bunch of really really awesome 200+ just too bad they are spread over a very wide area.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #5339
RaySthlm
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 835
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
My bad guys, i thought this thread is about World's 15 best skylines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gs_in_Shanghai

Yes, i would definitely put Shanghai and Dubai in top 3 list.

For skyscrapers. Hong Kong is still no.1 in Asia.

Tokyo also needs to be listed in top 3 or at least 4. Its very ridiculous if you rate Bangkok skyline over Tokyo
Nah, Bangkok is more massive in skyline and has more skyscrapers than Tokyo. Tokyo has Tokyo tower and the new tall observtion tower though. I think it is more crazy to have London or Paris on your top 20 list of the world
RaySthlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #5340
RaySthlm
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 835
Likes (Received): 50

BANGKOK number 4 in ASIA (my list)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr



image hosted on flickr

RaySthlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu